Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Chunky really nice write up . Those are some great numbers for you 252 average will put you in scoring position often.

D sorry to hear about your back acting up with your get together with WR. Still it sounds like you pulled it together for the B-1 to deliver the payload. good luck with the move.

May have to give this another try at GG on my next visit.

250 260 220 240 260 280 260

Sounds like a winner. I was actually told by my Golf Galaxy that this club is more for old people than for golfers in their 20s. I almost threw up. They haven't gotten them in yet. Because all of the snow birds are down in Florida. All I want to do is hit this club!

Bought this for my dad,can't wait to see him hit it. I think it will be a great fit for him

Sounds like a winner. I was actually told by my Golf Galaxy that this club is more for old people than for golfers in their 20s. I almost threw up. They haven't gotten them in yet. Because all of the snow birds are down in Florida. All I want to do is hit this club!

Thus my great anxiety at wanting to hit this bad boy, I am squarely in the middle of the target group for this driver. :D

Great updates everybody, Chunky it sounds like you were killing that driver man. 252 average I would take all day long.

Im 22 so I would definitely argue with them about that lol.

I will say the one thing that bugs me most about the Black is that the people in the stores (at least the ones I have been to) dont understand what the clubs were designed for. Had I not been a member of THP and able to hear what the Cleveland reps had to say about the design or had I not been able to test this driver I am pretty sure I would never have given it a chance because of what people at the stores were saying to me.

If anyone thinks they are in the range of swing speed/have a slower tempo then I really hope they give this thing an honest shot regardless of what anyone at a store tells them. This driver has completely changed my game off the teebox and restored a lot of hope in my game now that I dont have to be hitting 3-4 irons into greens.

Test Date: 12/27/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Bridgestone B-330RX
Environment: Mostly Cloudy, 45*, 16-20 mph winds,
Right ankle in brace

I was able to get nine in today, and while not ideal conditions between the 2 inches of rain we got yesterday, and the 16-20 mph wind gusts, it was still fun. I had one of my best driving days I have in a couple weeks, in that I hit 6/7 fairways today, with every drive being dead straight where I was aiming, with an average distance of 235. I didn't get too much runout with the soft conditions. The only fairway I missed had about a 20mph crosswind, so I just did my best and would have been lucky to land it in the middle of the fairway. A great confidence day with the conditions, and I will be adding the CG Black 3 wood to my bag tomorrow.

I would like to toss out a question to the testers or anyone else with knowledge. How does the lighter weight of the shaft affect your choice of flex? In other words I normally use a regular flex shaft in my driver, if I were to consider this would it be recommended to look towards a stiff flex as the regular might be to "whippy"? I of course am not doing anything till at least just after the outing in May but I am curious about this having swung the club yesterday and liking the results I saw. Yesterday the driver had a stiff shaft in it.

I would like to toss out a question to the testers or anyone else with knowledge. How does the lighter weight of the shaft affect your choice of flex? In other words I normally use a regular flex shaft in my driver, if I were to consider this would it be recommended to look towards a stiff flex as the regular might be to "whippy"? I of course am not doing anything till at least just after the outing in May but I am curious about this having swung the club yesterday and liking the results I saw. Yesterday the driver had a stiff shaft in it.

Yes.

--
tapatalk

It is without a doubt a very soft shaft compared to others, if I had the choice I would of went Xflex in this instead of Stiff. I normally play stiff but this is more of a Reg IMO. Thats how it feels anyways.

Test Date: 12/27/11
Ball Used: Bridgestone B-330RX
Environment: Mostly Cloudy, 45*, 16-20 mph winds,
Right ankle in brace

I was able to get nine in today, and while not ideal conditions between the 2 inches of rain we got yesterday, and the 16-20 mph wind gusts, it was still fun. I had one of my best driving days I have in a couple weeks, in that I hit 6/7 fairways today, with every drive being dead straight where I was aiming, with an average distance of 235. I didn't get too much runout with the soft conditions. The only fairway I missed had about a 20mph crosswind, so I just did my best and would have been lucky to land it in the middle of the fairway. A great confidence day with the conditions, and I will be adding the CG Black 3 wood to my bag tomorrow.

Good stuff chewie, it sounds like the ankle is getting better, how much longer in the brace? 6/7 fairways is awesome buddy.

I think the C Kua in this driver is stiff in name only. It plays far closer to a Firm than anything else. I think the Stiff is a must for you WR. Based just on what I am seeing, I would think the Regular is for swing speeds that are dipping into the 80's.

We just got one of these drivers in at our course. I can't wait to compare it to my SL290.

It is without a doubt a very soft shaft compared to others, if I had the choice I would of went Xflex in this instead of Stiff. I normally play stiff but this is more of a Reg IMO. Thats how it feels anyways.

I think the C Kua in this driver is stiff in name only. It plays far closer to a Firm than anything else. I think the Stiff is a must for you WR. Based just on what I am seeing, I would think the Regular is for swing speeds that are dipping into the 80's.

Thanks for the responses guys. You too SW.

That bring the # of drivers I definitely want to check out in May up to 3 (This one, the D2 and the Razr)

Test Date: 12/28/11
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Mostly Sunny, 50*
, Right ankle in brace

Played 9 this afternoon, and everything was grroving pretty good. With the CG Black I hit 7/7 fairways today, with yardages of 230, 250, 260, 220, 240, 225, and 245. Even on the last 2 holes when the sun is right in your face off the tee, I hit it and new I would find it when I got down the fairway, because it just felt that good. And thanks to the great driving today I shot a 38. I love this driver.

nice round there chewie, very nice.

We just got one of these drivers in at our course. I can't wait to compare it to my SL290.

I am dying to hit that Black too, see you tomorrow :D

I would say that with the lighter club and the faster SS I am getting I would want the stiffest option possible especially since I am more towards the top range for the club. On some swings I will say that I have rushed myself and overload the shaft too early resulting in a pretty bad result. There arent too many people I would recommend the reg flex shaft to because I feel that the stiff plays as both a slightly stiff regular as well as a normal stiff with good tempo.

Say goodbye to the SL290 :)

JUst take a nice relaxed swing... don't try to over do it. You will like the results!!

You are so right, I was hitting them dead straight 220-240 and enjoying it, when I would try to put a little more on it I would get 190-200 with about a 10-15 yard slice. I hit 10-14 fairways and the misses were all on the ones I was trying to swing harder. The shaft in this one is a regular flex. I think I will buy one with the stiff flex and possibly be able to get 230-240 yards with a little firmer swing. We will see.

I played 15 holes today with the black, best day with a driver I have ever had, hit every fairway, I have never done tha, long and straight all went where i amied it was alot of fun on a cold washington day! I'm going to buy it tomorrow, Craigslist here I come with my ping k 15.

I'm glad ya'll are feeling and seeing the same things us testers have. The balance and flex of the shaft with the awesome forgiving head ... Cleveland has a huge winner with the CG Black Driver.

If you don't already have a connection, definitely check out Blind 9 Golf (THP Sponsor). Dennis and Patty are great. I know my next set of fitted irons will be through them - probably the CG Black too! (Man, does Cleveland Golf have me drinking that Kool Aid or what?)

I'm glad ya'll are feeling and seeing the same things us testers have. The balance and flex of the shaft with the awesome forgiving head ... Cleveland has a huge winner with the CG Black Driver.

If you don't already have a connection, definitely check out Blind 9 Golf (THP Sponsor). Dennis and Patty are great. I know my next set of fitted irons will be through them - probably the CG Black too! (Man, does Cleveland Golf have me drinking that Kool Aid or what?)

LOL, looks like they have you big man. I second that on Blind9, they are great folks and will work a THPer a great deal if you just let them know who you are. I will be buying mine through a friend though.

Back