Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Just caught up again, nice job d_i_l, Cl, SW and c0ncept. I need to get this club in hand and give it some swings. KellyBo says they should be having a demo day at Jonesco in the next few months, I am not too sure I can wait. I am really lusting for this driver.

Great driving performance, c0ncept!

Great reviews guys. I am impressed with the distance Concept, looks like a good tempo'd swing.

Nice writeup concept, I'm sure the videos are good too but I can't see them yet.

--
tapatalk

Great driving performance, c0ncept!

+1 !! man yur KILLIN IT !!

I was begining to think, from all the talk about over loading this shaft, that I would not be able to play this club. After seeing you swing that thing like that, I know I can play it, I don't have that kind of move !!! AWESOME MAN !!

All Yall are doing a GREAT JOB !! Thanks for all your hard work bringing us these videos, pictures and writeups !!!

Last edited:
Just caught up again, nice job d_i_l, Cl, SW and c0ncept. I need to get this club in hand and give it some swings. KellyBo says they should be having a demo day at Jonesco in the next few months, I am not too sure I can wait. I am really lusting for this driver.

DawgDaddy. My wife told me they had the CG Black Driver and 3 wood at PGA Superstore in Kennesaw when she was there today. Tomorrow or next week I am going to see if they have there demo clubs in, and check out a 9* Driver and a 3 wood to get a couple 9 hole rounds in a see the results.

Great updates everybody, I have been very busy and havent been able to check in on this thread to much but you guys are killing it!

Test Date: 12/23/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Partly cloudy, 55*
, Right ankle in brace

I was able to play 9 today, and even though the course was extremely soggy due to the 2 inches of rain we got over the past 2 days I shot a 40. The first two hole were a little squirrely, but after that I hit 5/5 fairways and all of them were dead straight and yardages of 245, 240, 265, 225 uphill, and 240. I tweeked my setup just a lttle on hole 3 and I got into a really good groove. I love this driver, and it starting to really getting consistent for me when I take my time n my setup.

Took the Cleveland Black out today for a little yule tide round. Played a course I had never seen so I was a little wild off the tee since I didn't know where the fairway narrowed or widened out etc etc. My swing was a touch off so primarily I was playing a cut off the tee all day. Didn't have time to warm-up prior to the round since the range was closed.

On the front I found 3/7 fairways with one big miss, a high fade that drifted oob right. I think it was a combo of a bad swing and over-swinging, as we've all mentioned throughout this review over swinging this club is not conducive to a good shot. Thinking back I beleive I was being real quick through my transition which had my timing out of sorts.

On the back I finally settled down, started swinging a little easier and as a result drove the ball much better, hit 4/7 fairways and the one miss was the lone draw I hit all day. Rolled through the fairway on 18 and measured out at 251 yards. Overall I was shorter than normal today, average of the tee was 238 yds.

For whatever reason I was making contact a little out towards the toe for the most part but the forgiveness was ample and I wasn't overly punished.

Haven't been on this thread in a while. All the reviews sound very positive and lot's of fairways being found. Really good distance recorded by concept great numbers with a smooth swing.

Getting out tomorrow with White Rhino. Will be posting about my round and hopefully getting his thoughts. I hope my last range session translates!

I haven't been able to get out due to cold frost conditions, but fortunate for me the owner of the pro shop told me to keep it for a couple more weeks since no one else has asked for the black. so I'm hoping for a warmer day this week since I took the week off. I know I'm going to sell my k15 the sad part is I just got it replaced and I only have played 9 holes with it. I did play 3 holes with it last week on the first hole I usually drive 30 to 40 yards short of the 150 mark but with the black I drove it to the 150 mark, and yelled out a huge explicitive. You see I had said if it hits the 150 mark I'm buying it, lol. So I put it away for the next 2 holes. Now that Christmas has come and gone I'm going to take in my 2 gift cards and the k15 and hit him up for a deal, lol wish me luck, I don't want to have to eBay it. Love the feel, sound and it just looks bad ass. I want to put the white golf pride grip on it but I don't want to mess up the weight, but all my clubs have the white grips.q Howell hopefully the weather breaks 32 tomorrow so I can come back with some results... Merry Christmas and happy new year. Oh I got a 1600 bushnell with slope for Christmas that I'm dying to try, thank u Santa and thank u hackers paradise for he black Friday deal at GPP site 299, sweet now I have the upro and range finder. To bad my handicap is higher than my iq.

Great updates guys. Hoping to get out today and get some course work in. Otherwise it will be range time

I'm hoping someone around here gets this in stock soon because I can't wait to hit it, sounds like an amazing driver.

DawgDaddy. My wife told me they had the CG Black Driver and 3 wood at PGA Superstore in Kennesaw when she was there today. Tomorrow or next week I am going to see if they have there demo clubs in, and check out a 9* Driver and a 3 wood to get a couple 9 hole rounds in a see the results.

Thanks chewie, looks like I need to put in a road trip to see the g'kids before they start back to school. I really, really want to hit this club.

Getting out tomorrow with White Rhino. Will be posting about my round and hopefully getting his thoughts. I hope my last range session translates!

I am looking to get a few opportunities with the B-1. The course we are playing has some nice par4s and 5s that are fairly open. Looking forward to commenting later today.

Just got home from the course. Had a decent day with the Black. Hit 66.7% FIR and didn't lose a ball at all today. Will do a writeup after cooking dinner and putting the kids to bed.

Just got home from the course. Had a decent day with the Black. Hit 66.7% FIR and didn't lose a ball at all today. Will do a writeup after cooking dinner and putting the kids to bed.

That is a pretty good write up right there Cl, look forward to the full write up later.

So it was sunny today and not that cold. I haven’t been able to get on the course lately so I needed to jump at this late December opportunity. I bundled up and headed to the course. Walked on as a single so there was no warmup. The course I’m playing is a little short so I won’t be hitting a ton of the Black today. My mantra is slow and steady. Lets see what happens

1[SUP]st[/SUP] hole—331—Hit Mashie to the right rough

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hole—136—Par 3

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hole—469—Not hitting the ball well right so far. Short par 5 and it’s the first chance to hit the Black. Pretty straight hole but there is woods right and woods left. I tee the ball a little low due to wind in the face and aim for the middle of the fairway. Take a nice swing and the ball comes off low but straight exactly how I wanted it to. Kept my balance which means I took a nice swing. 250 into a decent wind

4[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—356—Hit Mashie to the fairway

5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—196—Par 3

6[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—355—Hit Mashie to middle of fairway

7[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—491—Short par 5 and another chance to hit the Black. Probably should hit 3W here because you need to draw the ball to turn it around the dogleg. I am testing the Black though so I pull it. Aim to the far edge of the dogleg and hope for a draw. Hit the crap out of it but it goes a little high and not enough draw. It hits the right edge of the fairway. 260

8[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—184—Par 3

9[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—396—OB left and dead right with trees blocking the green. I have had a great history on this hole with driving the ball. Just sets up nicely to my eye. I aim slightly right and try for a draw. I lose my balance on the follow through which means I swung too hard. Ball starts right and fades. It’s in the right rough and playable but it was a poor swing. Not the clubs fault. 220

So after 9 holes I’ve hit 4/6 FIR and my misses were not bad at all. With the Black I’m 2/3. I’m actually having a very good day with my short game and have managed a 39 on the front. Feeling good and I head to the back.

10[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—403—The drive is downhill and I usually play 3W because of woods to the left and that is how the tee box is aimed. Today I pull the Black and play for a fade. I lose my balance on the follow through which of course means I overswung. The ball is pushed right to begin with and fades to the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] fairway. 240

11[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—207—Par 3

12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—574—My worst driving hole I think of any course that I play. I will always push the ball right and the fairway feeds to the right as well which is one big mess of a woods. I aim to the middle of the fairway and tee it low to try and control it a little better. I swing nice and easy but do push it slightly. It lands in the right side of the fairway but kicks hard right. End up just in the right rough but I consider that a good drive. Normally I am in the woods. 260

13[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—330—Mashie to the middle of the fairway

14[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—301—Mashie to the middle of the fairway

15[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—181—Par 3

16[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—565—Very difficult par 5. The fairway fees drastically to the right and into the same woods that threatens the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole. I do however have a good history on this hole in terms of hitting the fairway. I take aim at the left side of the fairway and tee the ball high as the wind is at my back. My swing is nice and relaxed and the ball takes off high and deep. Fades slightly and lands on the left edge of the fairway. 280

17[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—165—Par 3

18[SUP]th[/SUP] hole—453—This hole is a nightmare in terms of driving. Water to the left of the fairway at about the 280 mark. Big ole tree guards the right side of the fairway. The play here is to hit a fade up the left side and that is how I aim. Nice relaxed swing and the ball takes off with a nice mid high ball flight and fades gently to the middle of the fairway. 260

Well I had a small hiccup in the middle of the round with swinging too hard. Got that under control and finished strong with the Black. Hit 4/6 FIR on the back with 2/4 FIR with the Black. Once again my misses were good though.

I concentrated pretty hard on keeping my swing under control and I think it worked wonders for me. I think that for me, the strength of this driver might be that I can swing a little softer and still keep the distance that I had before and maybe more control due to the more controlled swing. Today was the first day that I concentrated solely on swinging under control and I call it a success. 4/7 FIR and my average distance off the tee was 252 which is a surprising distance with this cold. Very happy today

I had the opportunity to hit this for 3 or 4 holes today with d_in_la and came away quite impressed. Each time I took a nice easy swing with the club and each time the driver rewarded me with very straight drives with some great distance. I really like the sound made when you hit the ball on the screws. I am definitely looking forward to getting some more work with this club come outing time.

Nice write up Chunky, I could only wish for a 280 yard drive, great ball striking buddy. WR, I just knew you were going to like that Black, I am dying to hit one myself.

Chunky with another solid session and write-up. Dude, I'm continually impressed at the numbers you get off the tee, especially when you are fading the ball. I think my fade and your fade are two completely different things in terms of how solid you the ball is hit. Way to go!

Yea DD I liked it. I find it funny cause I was not very impressed with Cleveland's first offering with the ultra light Miyazaki shafts but this definitely felt different to me. Can't explain it and not going to try to figure it out...LOL

Chunky, your hitting that pretty man. 260 sounded like an average and bombed the one 280, very nice. Also able to turn the ball some, very interesting.

WR, good to hear. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

As I alluded to earlier, I got out and played a round with White Rhino. (As a side note, we were both rockin' various vintages of THP Pukka hats.)

Marshall Canyon Golf Course is nestled up against the San Gabriel mountains and today was playing under a perfect blue sky with a small group of deer hanging by the 1st and 10th holes grazing on the grass and foliage. This was one of those insanely beautiful SoCal winter days that I'm going to dearly miss as I move to the bay area. The Marshall Canyon blues play to a friendly 6100 yards with the longest par 5 at 482 - so nothing too strenuous ... if you don't count the diabolical greens. I don't know what the course designer was going through prior to the 1966 opening, but he must have been one miserable sum'a'gun.

To start with, my most recent range time didn't continue with me on the first few holes. Actually, as a whole, my back was acting up and my ball striking was all over the place - especially my short game which can make Marshall Canyon just 7-depths-of-hell to play. And when I did string together a few good swings, well, then there were those ridiculous greens.

...but you don't read this thread to hear me complain about four-jacking for a double bogey.

Over the first four holes, two are driving holes and really nothing special to comment about. I was tight and had no tempo. As I started to loosen up, so did my drives. At first I hit a pair towards the toe and didn't get quite the distance I wanted coupled with the tinnier sound which I hate hearing. Yuck - a miss! Then I found my comfort zone and put a few of them out there along with that sweet sweet sound I've grown to love so much. But still not up to what I was seeing on the range. A quick adjustment, teeing the ball a little higher, and whammo, the B-1 was dropping bombs.

WR and I didn't have the presence of mind to do any distance checks, but quite often on the par 4's I ended up with a short iron in hand, and had some rolls for birdies on a couple par 5s. These drives were definitely in the 260, maybe one or two even longer (if the ball wasn't caught by the drainage lines), but I'll leave it to WR to reality check my internet-golf-poster-distance. :D

Near the end there my back really started expressing how unhappy it was but with the CG Black Driver I was still able to regularly get good distances in. For the most part - maybe one hole as the exception, I don't think I ever swung much past 80-85%. On that one hole, I absolutely killed it. Flushed. Pure. homina-homina! Aoooogah! ...and clipped the hanging branch of one tree, redirected into the trunk of another and barely made it past the ladies' tee box. <sigh>

After I warmed up I think I only missed two fairways - and one of them was that tree-tree-ladies-box result. So while I didn't score well overall, my iron and hybrids were inconsistent, my short game crrrrap and my putting a mixed bag, a pretty darn good day. The B-1 delivers again. (btw, the all black club with the replacement Winn Hero golf grip is a sweeeet combo.)

I hope to get one more SoCal round in, maybe a range session or two, but soon all my updates will be from my new home 360 miles north!

Back