TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Yeah, the board is used for checking for lie angle

Tomahawk and Vman, thanks for the info, its refreshing to hear. He did seem like he knew what he was talking about, but since I have never been fitted before I wanted to make sure, I didn't get shafted in that dept. b/c he did seem at first like he was just trying to rush me to buy something. I just assumed that he woudl have to make some sort of adjustments to the club, I was not expecteing him to say I was perfectly fitted to the stock clubs. I can;t wait to get out and actually hit these on the course, as in Delaware it is cold and some snow stil on the ground in places. the simulator is nothing like the course seems I hit it great on that machine LOL ,, but don't we all.....no trees... again thanks alot for all the info and tomahawk on the review on these clubs it helped make my choice alot easier...Now off to find a better driver....

Congrats on your new irons, and enjoy them. They are a great set. The stock shafts are made for a wide range of golfers and I am not surprised that you had the best numbers with them. As long as your fitter got you length and lie measurements and optimized your shaft flex you should be good. Keep us updated on your progress as the weather gets better.

Congrats on your new irons, and enjoy them. They are a great set. The stock shafts are made for a wide range of golfers and I am not surprised that you had the best numbers with them. As long as your fitter got you length and lie measurements and optimized your shaft flex you should be good. Keep us updated on your progress as the weather gets better.

Yeah, he had me hitting on a board and then did some swing speed tests as well, so I hope that covered it, as for the weather I can;t wait til the first day I can test these babies out on the course, I am itching to swing them in the open and see how it helps my game and ball flight. Hopefully Monday I can get out, im off work and im hoping for any chance of sun so I can get out.

Kev, if these are the steel shafts, the 85 S stands for 85 grams, Stiff shaft. Hope you hit them great.

Edit: Did he at least check you for lie angle?

This^^^. Also, there are lots of golfers out there that can buy right off of the rack, but one thing you should keep in mind is that the Burners are a little longer than normal, so the next set you buy may have to be extended a little. Good luck with them, and I hope you will love them as much as we all did.

This^^^. Also, there are lots of golfers out there that can buy right off of the rack, but one thing you should keep in mind is that the Burners are a little longer than normal, so the next set you buy may have to be extended a little. Good luck with them, and I hope you will love them as much as we all did.

Thanks Yorkem, I hope I love them as well, I did in the store..lol yeah that is what he said about the shafts being longer than normal, it was just my first time so I thought there was alot more to it, but I guess if he had to adjust anythign it would have been that way, instead of just wrapping up the box and sending me on my way.lol watching you guys open your packages and then reading your reviews gave me goosebumps, I was actually out on my back porch hitting my hand me downs over the road into the woods, just waiting to get these irons and use them on the course, I just hope I adjust sooner than later to them and don't go gopher digging on the course.

Congrats on the purchase! If you like them half as much as we did, you'll still be in good shape!

Tappin' away from my DROIDX

Congrats on the purchase! If you like them half as much as we did, you'll still be in good shape!

Thanks Josh, You also made this an easier choice as well from your reviews really appreciate that info.

Thanks Josh, You also made this an easier choice as well from your reviews really appreciate that info.

Glad we could help man!

Date: 02/12/12
Weather: 52*, partly cloudy, light winds 5-10 mph
Test: 18 holes with Burner 2.0 irons KBS Tour Stiff
Ball: TM Penta
Course Conditions: Wet, but not bad

I finally got out and played a round with my 2.0's this last weekend. I havent done much in the way of golf since November. Sure I have played here and there, but mostly in lees than stellar conditions, and not in any sort of competitive mindset. Just getting some swings in so to say. Well yesterday was about the best weekend day we have seen in a while, so I took advantage of it. Ended up shooting 79 by making a 45 foot putt on 18 for par. My swing was a bit inconsistent and I hit a couple very thin. Here are some highlights and thoughts:

Hole 1: from 145 in the fairway. 8 iron that just missed green to the right. Hit it on the toe and lost some yardage, but still a decent result. Didn't get up and down though. Bogey

Hole 3: from 135 in the fairway. 9 iron to the middle of the green about 20 feet left of the pin. Exactly where I was aiming, it was a bit of a sucker pin over a bunker. Par

Hole 5: 177 off the tee. Hit 6 iron to left side of green with about 40 feet for birdie. Good contact and beautiful draw ball flight, but slightly pulled. 3 putt bogey

Hole 7: 151 from the fairway over water. Hit 8 iron and thinned it right. Just awful. I eneded up pin high but way right. Bogey

Hole 8: 185 from the rough. 6 iron right at the flag but came up 4 yards short. Really good shot out of the wet rough. I have found that the 2.0's are really good out of the rough. High slight fade to a right pin. Par

Hole 9: 140 off the tee. Thinned 9 iron. Uggh. Right over the flag 20 yards long. Just missed it. Bogey

Hole 10: 164 out of the rough. 7 iron to 15 feet. Again, these irons flat perform out of the rough. Another missed birdie opp. Par

Hole 11: 130 out of the rough over some trees. PW 25 feet left on the green. Great shot, with just a baby draw. Had to trust my yardages as I could barely see the flag though the trees. Missed birdie putt. Par

Hole 16: 127 from the faiway. PW to 8 feet. Great shot to a skinny, long green. Missed birdie putt. PAR

Hole 17: 149 off the tee. 8 iron to 10 feet. This was one of those moment that I thought I may get my first hole in one! Right at the flag the entire way laser straight. Landed 2 yards short hopped once and spun back to 10 feet. So close. Missed the putt again! Par

Hole 18: 126 from the fairway. Knock down PW to 40' right of the flag. Pushed it right the whole way. Great distance control, but bad direction. Made the 40 footer for par! Finally made a putt.

Overall it was a bit up and down. Made some really solid swings and some good results. Didn't hit anything stiff, but had 7 birdie putts under 15 feet and 3 under 10 feet. The 2.0's continued to impress me out of the rough as the seem to give me great results out of it. My distance control was surprisingly good, although my direction was a bit off at times. I really only missed on 3 swings and the rest were solid contact. For only playing 3 times in the last 3 months I was pretty happy. We were lift, clean, and placing our fairway lies, (winter rules) so that was a bit of an advantage too. I continue to say that the 2.0's are the best set of irons I have ever owned. The feel, sound, and distance are very nice. You can work them both ways if needed, and they look awesome.

I just got a set of burner 2.0's. They weren't my first choice but for the money I just couldn't pass them up. Played a round in the freezing cold bc I couldn't wait to try them. I moved up from a set of ping eye 2's. I like my 2.0's so far. With the pings I had to hit a 5 iron 150. I hit a beautiful shot 150 with my new 7. I think once I get used to the increased distance, I should start seeing some better scores.

Just bought my set of B2.0's today. I've been waiting for these to come down in price since last summer. Previously had a set of Nike VR Split Cavity's forged stiff flex and never had much consistency with them. The B2.0's are so sweet! Went to the range immediatley after buying them right off the rack. I've always had good luck with stock clubs so I was able to get in and out of the golf shop pretty quick to go hit the range.

I can tell a definite difference between these and my old Nikes. Buttery smooth feel, great ball flight thru the whole set and I'm able to hit both a slight draw and fade. Even when not struck perfectly square the ball doesn't waiver to far off the line. I'm so happy with these after just one bucket. First chance to play will be later this week. Hoping to now hit more greens instead of having to scramble all the time from off the green.

All I can say is I wish I had these last summer.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 9.5* S Flex
Hybrids: Cobra Rail 3H and 5H S Flex
Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0 5-AW Reg Flex
Wedges: Cleveland CG 15 52* and Nike VR 56*
Putter: Odysey Black Series #1

Last edited:
Just bought my set of B2.0's today. I've been waiting for these to come down in price since last summer. Previously had a set of Nike VR Split Cavity's forged stiff flex and nevfecund any consistency with them. The B2.0's are so sweet! Went to the range immediatley after buying them right off the rack. I've always had good luck with stock clubs so I was able to get in and out of the golf shop pretty quick to go hit the range.

I can tell a definite difference between these and my old Nikes. Buttery smooth feel, great ball flight thru the whole set
and I'm able to hit both a slight draw and fade. Even when not struck perfectly square the ball doesn't waiver to far off the line. I'm so happy with these after just one bucket. First chance to play will be later this week. Hoping to now hit more greens instead of having to scramble all the time from off the green.

All I can say is I wish I had these last summer.

Congrats on the new purchase. Enjoy.

Just ordered today the 5-AW with the regular flex R85 shafts...looking forward to getting them here and playing when the weather breaks!

Just ordered today the 5-AW with the regular flex R85 shafts...looking forward to getting them here and playing when the weather breaks!

Congrats! They are wonderful clubs. I hope you enjoy them.

You can get a killer deal on these right now through Golfsmith. You can get the TM Burner 2.0 Rescue Combo Iron Set 3H, 4H, 5-PW with Steel Shafts for $400 shipped. Added the combo to your cart, add a .99 golfsmith divot tool to get your total to $500 and then use code eps207prs.

Congrats on the purchases guys.

Congrats on the purchase guys.
I think you are going to be very happy with these sticks.

This is my 2nd full round with these, along with a 9 holer and some range time.
I am really starting to get in the groove with these things. It takes very little effort to produce good shots.
I am finally figuring out the AW and am falling in love. Every single shot I had today with that thing from 10ft off the fringe to 50yrds, I put it exactly where I wanted. GREAT chipping club for me.
I can now hit two of our Par 3s with my 4i without pulling out a hybrid. Both are 190ish to the front and I flew one of them (with a tiny helper wind).
I had two memorable shots with the 6i. One I was buried in leaves in the rough. Ball came flying out, nice and straight, and probably went 90% as far as a normal shot would have. Chipped up and in for par.
The other was a ball had landed in front of a teeny dead bush. I had to swing through the dead branches (pencil lead thin) to get at the ball. Same thing happened as before. Nice, straight flight with most of the distance. Put the face on it, in some form of correct angle, and it'll go.
Short story. I haven't hit a 4i this good in many years. Confidence is nice. Great impulse buy for 399.

I am really starting to get in the groove with these things. It takes very little effort to produce good shots.
I am finally figuring out the AW and am falling in love. Every single shot I had today with that thing from 10ft off the fringe to 50yrds, I put it exactly where I wanted. GREAT chipping club for me.
I can now hit two of our Par 3s with my 4i without pulling out a hybrid. Both are 190ish to the front and I flew one of them (with a tiny helper wind).
I had two memorable shots with the 6i. One I was buried in leaves in the rough. Ball came flying out, nice and straight, and probably went 90% as far as a normal shot would have. Chipped up and in for par.
The other was a ball had landed in front of a teeny dead bush. I had to swing through the dead branches (pencil lead thin) to get at the ball. Same thing happened as before. Nice, straight flight with most of the distance. Put the face on it, in some form of correct angle, and it'll go.
Short story. I haven't hit a 4i this good in many years. Confidence is nice. Great impulse buy for 399.

Sounds like you got some winners here T0AD! Looking forward to seeing you in action with these in the near future.

Glad to hear they are treating you well so far. These are a great deal for 399 brand new (IMO).

Hi everyone, new guy here. So I was just in the market for my first set of new irons (ever)...the rest have always been hand-me-downs. anyway, i was looking at the burner 2.0's and doing some research and came across this thread. I wanted to thank everyone for their reviews. they helped me make the decision to go ahead and buy them. I pick up my new set with +0.5" extension and midsize grips tomorrow! Really looking forward to playing "less bad" haha

Hi everyone, new guy here. So I was just in the market for my first set of new irons (ever)...the rest have always been hand-me-downs. anyway, i was looking at the burner 2.0's and doing some research and came across this thread. I wanted to thank everyone for their reviews. they helped me make the decision to go ahead and buy them. I pick up my new set with +0.5" extension and midsize grips tomorrow! Really looking forward to playing "less bad" haha

Glad we could help you with your purchase. Please let us know what you think and good luck with them!

Awesome news! I really hope they treat you well, and please do share your experiences with them!

Granack, I hope they do you as well as they have me after 4 or so rounds.
They have gotten progressively better as I've gotten used to them, so just hang on and ride it out.
I love, love, love the Attack Wedge. I have barely touched my 54* and 58* xFTs since I got the 2.0s.
It's good for me from 100yds all the way to chipping from 15ft and long bunker shots.
If those RBZ testers are using something beyond these, they are lucky...but we only paid 399 and I couldn't be happier.

You can get a killer deal on these right now through Golfsmith. You can get the TM Burner 2.0 Rescue Combo Iron Set 3H, 4H, 5-PW with Steel Shafts for $400 shipped. Added the combo to your cart, add a .99 golfsmith divot tool to get your total to $500 and then use code eps207prs.

Just picked them up today. $400 for a full set with 2 hybrids is too good a deal to pass up. The only problem is that they have no Approach Wedges in stock...

Just picked them up today. $400 for a full set with 2 hybrids is too good a deal to pass up. The only problem is that they have no Approach Wedges in stock...

The AW in this set is awesome. It was not included in our testing set, but I went out and bought a fitted one to match my set. I was able to get it thru my local fitter. Patty and Dennis @ Blind 9 golf might be able to get one for you. They give great deals to THP members.

Back