Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Welcome to THP hargy! Keep us updated on how you like them.

Received my shiny new set of clubs yesterday and hit the range this afternoon. Really pleased with the clubs, longer than my old set and definitely have a much higher ball flight-which was the main reason for buying.I'd already ordered these before I discovered this thread but I'm happy to be able to add my name to those who have previously said such good reviews.
One thing to add though is to back up what Chunkylover said earlier, these are physically long clubs. My old clubs are Macgregor which were fit an inch longer for me, I ordered the same spec for these but they are an extra half inch on top. Not a huge problem if I can't get used to these I can just get them shortened (easier than if they were too short)

Received my shiny new set of clubs yesterday and hit the range this afternoon. Really pleased with the clubs, longer than my old set and definitely have a much higher ball flight-which was the main reason for buying.I'd already ordered these before I discovered this thread but I'm happy to be able to add my name to those who have previously said such good reviews.
One thing to add though is to back up what Chunkylover said earlier, these are physically long clubs. My old clubs are Macgregor which were fit an inch longer for me, I ordered the same spec for these but they are an extra half inch on top. Not a huge problem if I can't get used to these I can just get them shortened (easier than if they were too short)

Yes, the Di11s are a half inch longer than standard, so when I ordered mine (fit at .5" longer and standard lie angle) I just ordered the stock Di11s and that did it for me. Glad that you're enjoying them so far!

On another note, I had an absolutely awesome day with these yesterday. I fired up on the back 9 especially, hitting 66.7% of my GIR and shooting a 41 (I hit 50% GIR in the entire round). I started to hit the long irons better than I've hit them in a long while, including a 200-yard 4 iron that stopped just short of the green. I'm finally getting through the shot, and as a result, I felt like I didn't chunk an iron shot yesterday. The short irons were money - had a wonderful 8i into a green that landed so soft because of the higher ball flight, and a 7i from 165 that faded nicely to a tucked right pin location. I made the 6 foot birdie putt.

These irons have definitely improved my game. Anyone who is in the market for a forgiving SGI iron that doesn't look like a shovel, while giving lots of distance and decent workability needs to check these out.

sounds like they are working well for you Jersey Nate!

sounds like they are working well for you Jersey Nate!

They sure are. I won't be pondering any new irons this season I think...my wallet is thanking me right about now.

They sure are. I won't be pondering any new irons this season I think...my wallet is thanking me right about now.

never say never man hehe. Irons are one thing I never really ponder. I have a set that I am extremely comfortable with. I ponder everything else. I've had the same set for 4 or 5 years now, though they didn't get used much last year.

never say never man hehe. Irons are one thing I never really ponder. I have a set that I am extremely comfortable with. I ponder everything else. I've had the same set for 4 or 5 years now, though they didn't get used much last year.

I know...never say never, LOL. I ponder a lot of stuff, but I'm really thinking that these will be in the bag for quite some time, until I feel brave enough to go to thinner irons.

Well I've decided it was time to give my quick opinion. Initially, I wasn't crazy about them for the following reasons: 1) They weren't nearly as forgiving as this thread leads you to believe, and 2) The cavity is bigger than I had wanted. After doing some "soul-searching" I am able to address the above concerns.

1) I had recently stopped playing as consistently due to work and at the same time I was in the middle of a swing change (learning to hit ball first, ground second). That being said it was definitely a case of "it is the indian not the arrow". I recently bought and have been implementing ideas from The Impact Zone...needless to say I am loving golf again and now that I have a handle on my game, these irons are as great as this thread indicates. Now that I have a half decent impact position, I finally am experiencing what others say when they claim the ball still goes relatively far and relatively straight even on slight mis-hits.

2) My buddy had just gotten a new Titleist bag (910 D3, 910F, 712 CB's, Vokeys, Scotty NP) and I was feeling a little jealous because his clubs look more blade-like and mine look like what they are..SGI. However when comparing with other GI/SGI...the topline is ridiculously thin, and the cavity isn't that big of a deal. It's amazing how one's attitude can change when you spend more time in the swing section than in the club section.

I was seriously ready to put these up in the marketplace, however after improving not only am I keeping them but I got matching (well as close to matching as exists) wedges and plan to get a W/S bag because I believe in the company's products.

I also LOL at how so many people here care more about club ho-ing than they do improving. I have re-read this thread a few times and I can't even count how many people praised this club 6 months ago yet have a new set in their sig.

Edit: Oh yeah another thing thats helped me learn to love this club is to choke up. I'm 6'2" yet choking up is the difference between straight and long vs. fat-city.

Last edited:
Well I've decided it was time to give my quick opinion. Initially, I wasn't crazy about them for the following reasons: 1) They weren't nearly as forgiving as this thread leads you to believe, and 2) The cavity is bigger than I had wanted. After doing some "soul-searching" I am able to address the above concerns.

1) I had recently stopped playing as consistently due to work and at the same time I was in the middle of a swing change (learning to hit ball first, ground second). That being said it was definitely a case of "it is the indian not the arrow". I recently bought and have been implementing ideas from The Impact Zone...needless to say I am loving golf again and now that I have a handle on my game, these irons are as great as this thread indicates. Now that I have a half decent impact position, I finally am experiencing what others say when they claim the ball still goes relatively far and relatively straight even on slight mis-hits.

2) My buddy had just gotten a new Titleist bag (910 D3, 910F, 712 CB's, Vokeys, Scotty NP) and I was feeling a little jealous because his clubs look more blade-like and mine look like what they are..SGI. However when comparing with other GI/SGI...the topline is ridiculously thin, and the cavity isn't that big of a deal. It's amazing how one's attitude can change when you spend more time in the swing section than in the club section.

I was seriously ready to put these up in the marketplace, however after improving not only am I keeping them but I got matching (well as close to matching as exists) wedges and plan to get a W/S bag because I believe in the company's products.

I also LOL at how so many people here care more about club ho-ing than they do improving. I have re-read this thread a few times and I can't even count how many people priased this club 6 months ago yet have a new set in their sig.

Glad that you're enjoying these. Like I said before, they will be staying in the bag for quite some time until I feel ready to step up.

I do think that your nasty blanket statement about people on here is unneeded, though. Trying / buying new equipment doesn't necessarily mean that people care more about "club ho-ing" than improving their game. Everyone here loves golf, and everyone here loves to improve and shoot better scores; however, some people (myself not included) have the means to be able to try out different clubs more often. Is that wrong? Am I going to hold it against them? No I am certainly not.

I'm a bit of a club-ho. I will admit that after starting out with a set of Di11's, I later found a really good deal on some FG Tours and I switched to those, even though the Di11's were probably better suited for my game. The FG's were just so sweet and looked and felt good. Despite being much more unforgiving, I initially I found I could hit the FG's fairly well so I stuck with them...though I will admit they were a struggle sometimes. However, as my learning progressed (I just started golf last summer) I reached a bit of a plateau...I think like many beginners, I had some initial confidence with my swing, thought I was a LOT better than I really was, and thus tried some new ideas, new swing thoughts, different swing methods, and reached a point where I just had too many competing thoughts and ideas in my head.

Sooo, long story short, I decided to go back to basics. I started taking private lessons, and on the advice of the instructor, the Di11's are back in the bag. I'm starting to hit the ball high and straight again, and while I'm sure much of that is the instruction I'm receiving, I think the Di11's are giving me the confidence to hit the ball while I continue to learn. ;) So while these took a back seat to the shiny new FG Tours, I am falling in love with them all over again and they're helping me to enjoy myself. I told myself I'm sticking with the Di11's until I'm consistently hitting low 90's.

I do think that your nasty blanket statement about people on here is unneeded, though. Trying / buying new equipment doesn't necessarily mean that people care more about "club ho-ing" than improving their game. Everyone here loves golf, and everyone here loves to improve and shoot better scores; however, some people (myself not included) have the means to be able to try out different clubs more often. Is that wrong? Am I going to hold it against them? No I am certainly not.

By the way, I can't speak for Jericho, but I didn't necessarily take his comment as a put-down or nasty. Maybe club-ho'ing isn't the best way to put it though...I think we all suffer from a bit of that. It's fun to try new equipment. I haven't even been golfing for a year and I already own two full sets of clubs ;) But honestly though I actually had wondered the same about the Di11's...noticing that for the high praise these clubs received, they didn't make it into as many bags as I thought they would. I just figured that since these were technically a game improvement set, perhaps they just weren't 100% suited to the skill levels of all who tested.

Either way this is a VERY good thread. It convinced me to pull the trigger on a set of Di11's as my very first set of clubs....oh, and also introduced me to this fine forum ;)

I also LOL at how so many people here care more about club ho-ing than they do improving. I have re-read this thread a few times and I can't even count how many people praised this club 6 months ago yet have a new set in their sig.

Edit: Oh yeah another thing thats helped me learn to love this club is to choke up. I'm 6'2" yet choking up is the difference between straight and long vs. fat-city.

When you say not as forgiving as this thread implies, what exactly do you mean by that? Did you not find these as forgiving as other GI/SGI irons?
And you mentioned a 'swing change' by learning to hit ball first, ground second. Did you have an instructor that taught you to hit ground first with irons? I wouldn't consider learning to hit ball first a swing change...that is learning fundamentals of the swing....

By the way, I can't speak for Jericho, but I didn't necessarily take his comment as a put-down or nasty. Maybe club-ho'ing isn't the best way to put it though...I think we all suffer from a bit of that. It's fun to try new equipment. I haven't even been golfing for a year and I already own two full sets of clubs ;) But honestly though I actually had wondered the same about the Di11's...noticing that for the high praise these clubs received, they didn't make it into as many bags as I thought they would. I just figured that since these were technically a game improvement set, perhaps they just weren't 100% suited to the skill levels of all who tested.

I was a bit perturbed by the fact he said "I also LOL at how so many people here care more about club ho-ing than they do improving."

Seems a bit nasty to me. But to your other point, the Di11s, IMHO, didn't make it into others' bags because people here usually like to try the clubs before they purchase them, and that is Wilson Staff's biggest weakness. They aren't widely available to try out. I OEMed these based on the reviews here alone because I just put my trust in the THP community, and it paid off for me. W/S can show all the commercials they want, but if the product isn't in a lot of stores, people will always defer to the other widely known and widely demoed companies.

I love that this thread is still going strong and that people are seeing the same great results that I was getting from mine. I'm going to take these back out soon for some course time

When you say not as forgiving as this thread implies, what exactly do you mean by that? Did you not find these as forgiving as other GI/SGI irons?
And you mentioned a 'swing change' by learning to hit ball first, ground second. Did you have an instructor that taught you to hit ground first with irons? I wouldn't consider learning to hit ball first a swing change...that is learning fundamentals of the swing....

Doug- What I meant was that after reading this thread, I got the impression that these things are magic and all you have to do it swing and they will fly long long and straight. I was in the middle of some swing issues so I was initially frustrated because I couldn't get these things to go straight. After figuring some things out, I finally saw what everyone else has been saying, which is "If you have a decent swing, these will give you the best shot at a good shot..but if you're terrible then no club will help that"

No, I never had an instructor teach me to hit ground first. It was just something I unfortunately developed from being a former baseball player. In baseball, the MAJORITY of the time you hit the ball when it is physically in front of your stance. With golf you hit it when its in the middle of your stance...something that I was having issues with. Just having it in the middle of my stance made me flip because I felt like that was the only way I could square up the club face and not slice. I've since been implementing the instruction of The Impact Zone and its like a blind man seeing for the first time.

Gave these a first tryout on the course this morning. Just did the front 9 which is par 35, managed to shoot 44 which is just about as good as I get (my all time best is 43). Considering the fact that I've only used these for one basket of range balls and that's the first time out I'm very happy, also shows that these are a forgiving set of clubs.

Gave these a first tryout on the course this morning. Just did the front 9 which is par 35, managed to shoot 44 which is just about as good as I get (my all time best is 43). Considering the fact that I've only used these for one basket of range balls and that's the first time out I'm very happy, also shows that these are a forgiving set of clubs.

Very nice, hargy! I love my Di11s...a 44 is solid! I wish I could shoot a 44 every 9 at this point in my game, but it comes more often when you get out more. Keep it up! I'm going to be gaming these for quite some time, I think...

http://www.clubsandsticks.com/p-2442-wilson-di11-irons-4-pw-gw-right-hand-steel-uniflex.aspx

Thinking about getting a set. Can anyone verify the legitimacy of the above site (Clubs and sticks)? $90 cheaper than the next cheapest I found.

http://www.hurricanegolf.com/checkout/cart/

Also, only uniflex shaft available. How does this work for those of you who who use it now? My swing speed is between reg. and stiff (closer to stiff), so, I normally go with stiff with my driver. Will uniflex be too flexy for me? Thanks.

Last edited:
http://www.clubsandsticks.com/p-2442-wilson-di11-irons-4-pw-gw-right-hand-steel-uniflex.aspx

Thinking about getting a set. Can anyone verify the legitimacy of this site? $90 cheaper than the next cheapest I found. http://www.hurricanegolf.com/checkout/cart/

Also, only uniflex shaft available. How does this work for those of you who who use it now? My swing speed is between reg. and stiff (closer to stiff), so, I normally go with stiff with my driver. Will uniflex be too flexy for me? Thanks.
From the sounds of it the Uniflex will fit you just fine. I played the Uniflex in my Di11's and unless I really went after the ball hard the uniflex was a great shaft for me. As for the site I have no idea.

Uniflex is in between regular and stiff. shouldn't be an issue

I can't verify the legitimacy of the site, but if you're in between flexes the uniflex steel should be fine as said by others. I've been playing the uniflex steel shafts in the Di11s and they are quite stout enough for me - I usually play stiff shafts in Driver, Woods and Hybrids. The only thing you have to remember is to stay smooth at the transition of your swing to get the best results from the uniflex.

Thx for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be owning a set very soon lol. I'm still a little skeptical on the site as nobody seems to have ordered from them or heard of them before that has responded. I think I might make a thread asking about the site. Thanks again!

Thx for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be owning a set very soon lol. I'm still a little skeptical on the site as nobody seems to have ordered from them or heard of them before that has responded. I think I might make a thread asking about the site. Thanks again!

I've ordered from Hurricaine before and had zero problems. For some odd reason they are on the Counterfeit site thread, can't figure out why but it's worked out for me.

Re: the Uniflex shafts, At the beginning of last year my SS was SLOW as it was my first year playing golf and only swung with my arms, that's what I have (Uniflex) and my swing speed is usually a stiff in the driver right around 100 and the shafts work quite well for me. If your tempo is very quick then they might not work for you though.

I've ordered from Hurricaine before and had zero problems. For some odd reason they are on the Counterfeit site thread, can't figure out why but it's worked out for me.

Re: the Uniflex shafts, At the beginning of last year my SS was SLOW as it was my first year playing golf and only swung with my arms, that's what I have (Uniflex) and my swing speed is usually a stiff in the driver right around 100 and the shafts work quite well for me. If your tempo is very quick then they might not work for you though.

Thanks for the advice, I've heard others say Hurricane Golf is fine. What about Clubsandsticks.com? They have the Di11's for $250 whereas HG has them for $340. I'd love to save the $90 as long as they're legit. From what I'm hearing, I think I should be just fine with the uniflex shafts. Last time I checked my swingspeed was anywhere from 98 to 105mph.

I got some positive responses about the website in another thread so I went ahead and purchased them for $250 with free shipping. If they work half as well as it sounds like from most of you int this thread, these clubs are a steal at this price. And heck, even if they don't work the best for me, I should be able to sell them on craigslist or something with not much of a loss. I'll be excited to comment on how they work out for me. Hopefully we get some more warm weather in Nebraska in the following weeks so I can get rollin!

Bought Di11's 5 - SW Sunday morning. Driving range in the afternoon, 18 holes Monday morning and the same again this morning. I love my Wilson Staff Spine Driver, so considered their irons. Read this forum and went for it. Two games in i'm not sure if i've made the right decision, i've thinned a few shots that have cost me dearly but i've had my old irons for 4 years so should it be an immediate total improvement? I've hit some excellant shots with them but it's the mishits that cost you dearly. Anyway i'll try and use them everyday (it's a hard life this semi retirement) and report back.

Back