Wilson Staff Ci11 Irons - PGA Show Video

So you havent had any issue going from the 44* PW to your 52* wedge?

We got 5 inches of snow on Friday, so I have not yet had the Ci11s out on real grass yet. I do not know if there is an issue yet, I am sure there will be, but like TC I also enjoy the 3/4 PW shot. I do not have a good answer for you at this time.

One other thing I wanted to touch on for those of you who are seriously pondering: and that's the wear the soles will show. They will show some wear, they will show some scratching. It really doesn't bother me all that much to be honest. I haven't hit these off of mats so I can't comment on how mats may effect the sole.

One other thing I wanted to touch on for those of you who are seriously pondering: and that's the wear the soles will show. They will show some wear, they will show some scratching. It really doesn't bother me all that much to be honest. I haven't hit these off of mats so I can't comment on how mats may effect the sole.

Don't think I would ever hit them off of mats if it were me...but I expect that the black finish would wear over time. Wouldn't bother me. :alien:

I hate mats but sometimes its just a necessary evil if you want to hit balls.

I hate mats but sometimes its just a necessary evil if you want to hit balls.

Agreed. My point is, don't expect the soles to stay perfect. I'm just being completely honest. Truthfully, it doesn't bother me one bit, and you know how anal I am.

Agreed. My point is, don't expect the soles to stay perfect. I'm just being completely honest. Truthfully, it doesn't bother me one bit, and you know how anal I am.

FLTC? TCWMW? Anal? No....:bulgy-eyes:

Seems to me it will hold up decent enough. You think it wears faster than the finish on the 2.0s?

The mats I have hit off of aren't doing too much damage to the finish other than some scratching. I will do my best to take a picture of my 6-iron to show what's happened so far.

Seems to me it will hold up decent enough. You think it wears faster than the finish on the 2.0s?

Well, it's a different finish to me. The 2.0's were more solid black, and one thing I hated about the 2.0's was hitting out of fairway bunkers. It would get into that black finish and it looked like a blemish. The 11's wear more like a Black Pearl fiinish to me. The soles seem to fade more than just scar. If that makes sense?

I like my gear to look good. Look good, feel good, plays good.

I was just kidding man. But I do agree - looks imbue confidence, and confidence lowers your score.

Wear is to be expected. Now, if I look angrily at the irons and some black paint falls off then Im not happy. Otherwise Im good.

DSC01657.jpg

You can still see some results of a lesson and a swing under construction by the heel. There is still some pieces of impact tape from the fitting as well. There is some sporadic wear, but nothing too concentrated. All in all, the mats that I have hit on have not done too much damage.

That's not bad at all, blu.

Nothing there that would give me pause. Thanks for the picture BG

I would also keep in mind that that picture is after one lesson, a fitting, and a 30 minutes session in a simulator. It has not really been put through the ringer.

my guess is after a full season there will be some decent wear. But with black color irons that is going to happen. Time for Ci13's anyway

Even though I still haven't hit these, I can't get them out of my head. So I've been doing some thought experiments about specs and fitting. The idea being it is pretty easy to find a place to do a full Ping fitting, and then maybe I could translate the results to apply them to the Ci11s, unless I absolutely fall in love with the Ping recommendation that comes out the fitting.

First I compared the specs of the Ci11s to the i20s:
  • Loft: The lofts of the Ci11s are 1* stronger for 3-9, 2* stronger for the PW and GW.
  • Lie: Lie angles are pretty close, within 0.25*
  • Length: The Ci11s are 0.75" longer (that's 1.5 clubs difference!)

Based just on these differences, I guess one should expect to be 1.5 -2 clubs longer with the stock Ci11's as compared to the stock i20s.

Then I used Ping's online fitting process based on my static measurements ( 6'3.5" and 38" wrist to floor) and was recommended Silver color code and +0.5". Checking that against the color code chart that's 3.75* up (I was expecting closer to 2*).

The thing that strikes me as most interesting here is that in order to end up the PINGs +0.5" recommended shaft length in a Ci11, I would actually have to go -0.25".

I'm not going to order anything based on static measurements only, as I know the value of a dynamic fitting, especially given that my lie angle came out so extremely upright. Just though it was interesting.

Interesting thought process gfb. I can tell you that when I do the PING online fitting it recommends the maroon dot (4.5* upright) but when I did an actual dynamic fitting here locally with the i20's I was fit for the white dot (3* up) so while I think what you're thinking is good, it can be skewed.

Dude, I'm telling you, plan a trip to Asheville for a day or two and I'll take you somewhere where you can test the crap out of W/S Ci11's and I'll treat you to a round of golf while you're here.

I played 18 today in some gnarly winds and the 11's were freaking outstanding. I hit 11/18 GIR's today which was an absolute treat considering how windy it was. I wish I could put into words how easy they are to hit. What was the highlight of the round were the Flighted TX shafts. I hit a ton of knock down shots that flat out performed perfectly. I can't speak highly enough of how quality these irons are.

Another fanfreakingtastic update bro. War Eagle just feel out of his office chair when reading that.

Interesting thought process gfb. I can tell you that when I do the PING online fitting it recommends the maroon dot (4.5* upright) but when I did an actual dynamic fitting here locally with the i20's I was fit for the white dot (3* up) so while I think what you're thinking is good, it can be skewed.

Dude, I'm telling you, plan a trip to Asheville for a day or two and I'll take you somewhere where you can test the crap out of W/S Ci11's and I'll treat you to a round of golf while you're here.

I played 18 today in some gnarly winds and the 11's were freaking outstanding. I hit 11/18 GIR's today which was an absolute treat considering how windy it was. I wish I could put into words how easy they are to hit. What was the highlight of the round were the Flighted TX shafts. I hit a ton of knock down shots that flat out performed perfectly. I can't speak highly enough of how quality these irons are.
I really like hearing that about those shafts, TC. I didnt know much about them, but hearing you speak highly of them is reassuring.

Another fanfreakingtastic update bro. War Eagle just feel out of his office chair when reading that.
Indeed, I did. How the heck did you know I was still at work?

I want a set of these in the worst way. I have a feeling I will be gaming them this weekend :blob:

As much as I'd love to go to Asheville, there's no way I can get approval for that. I do really appreciate the offer, though.

As I recall, your Ci11s are 2* up and +0.5". How did the shaft length come out on your online PING fitting?

I wasn't thinking of making any decisions based on just the online PING fitting, but thought maybe I could translate the results of a full blown PING fitting (on grass) to absolute measurements and then convert that to relative adjustments on the Ci11s.

Even if I have to pay $100 for the PING fitting, the Ci11s still come out significantly less than the i20s.

Don't know if you have any experience with the :mizuno: MX-300s, but I expect the Ci11s (and the i20s, for that matter) would be noticeably more forgiving. Do you agree?

Thanks again.

As much as I'd love to go to Asheville, there's no way I can get approval for that. I do really appreciate the offer, though.

As I recall, your Ci11s are 2* up and +0.5". How did the shaft length come out on your online PING fitting?

I wasn't thinking of making any decisions based on just the online PING fitting, but thought maybe I could translate the results of a full blown PING fitting (on grass) to absolute measurements and then convert that to relative adjustments on the Ci11s.

Even if I have to pay $100 for the PING fitting, the Ci11s still come out significantly less than the i20s.

Don't know if you have any experience with the :mizuno: MX-300s, but I expect the Ci11s (and the i20s, for that matter) would be noticeably more forgiving. Do you agree?

Thanks again.

I was fit for 3/4'' over standard in the i20's, so your math seems to be spot on. Ironically, I used to own the MX-200's and have seen the 300's but never hit them. I have to tell you man, I think the 11's play a lot like the Burner 2.0's (distance wise) but feel softer, and have far superior turf interaction. I think your comparison to the MX series from Mizuno is pretty spot on when it comes to turf interaction and the leading edge, but I think the 11's look much sleeker at address.

I wish you could make it this way man. I completely understand your frustration on not being able to find something you really want to demo.

I haven't hit the i20s yet, so I can't really compare. But what I can say is that I have a hard time thinking that they combine forgiveness and performance as well as the Ci11s, for my game at least.

Somebody just OEMed these....and I hear he's THP's favorite OEMer. :alien:

Back