Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

That surprises me, WE, but I'm glad to hear it.

I only played one round with the Chrome so far, and I was not seeing a lot of iron spin, but what I was seeing was adequate. I was disappointed with the greenside spin.

With the Blacks, I was able to spin irons back, which is something I almost never do. 8 and 9 irons were backing up a bit, and I even had one 7 iron shot back up, but that was a downhill par 3 and I hit the ball really high. Still, it was kind of cool to have my pitchmark between my ball and hole.

Got a box of chrome yesterday will report back tomorrow

I got 2 sleeves of the Hex Black Tour and am playing 18 today. Will report back tomorrow as well!

Played 18 today and rotated the two in and out. In all fairness it was a horrible day to test as my striking, tempo, and overall game was poor today. But I am really on the fence about both balls. I had good results with both... really liked the Hex Black Tour around the greens and putting. Overall I didn't notice much of a difference in distance except for one drive that was massive (Chrome). The Black did hold in the wind better but again my striking was poor.

At this point after a second (or third) round of testing I am really on the fence. Both are very good products.

Alex

Last edited:
I have a longer update about the Chrome later, but I played it on thursday and again today and I love that ball. Really love it in fact. I thought it had a TON of spin around the greens, and some crazy spin on full wedge shots. At one point I played a full SW into a green and purposely played the ball to land past the hole and then suck it back which it did but in fact I pulled the ball all the way off the green. This ball was also much longer for me off the tee than the black. I think this is a great ball and I will now be buying a dozen and be gaming them for the forseeable future.

I have a longer update about the Chrome later, but I played it on thursday and again today and I love that ball. Really love it in fact. I thought it had a TON of spin around the greens, and some crazy spin on full wedge shots. At one point I played a full SW into a green and purposely played the ball to land past the hole and then suck it back which it did but in fact I pulled the ball all the way off the green. This ball was also much longer for me off the tee than the black. I think this is a great ball and I will now be buying a dozen and be gaming them for the forseeable future.

CB:

Honestly.. right now the Chrome is where I seem to be leaning.

Alex

CB:

Honestly.. right now the Chrome is where I seem to be leaning.

Alex
Its just a really good ball and durable as all get up. The black was a good ball for me, but the Chrome is simply better.

Thanks for the update man, I have only been able to chip and putt around with my Chromes so far so its good to hear some positive info on them. I love the black so we will see how it goes, would be nice if the Chrome played as good or better for me since its cheaper.

Thanks for the update man, I have only been able to chip and putt around with my Chromes so far so its good to hear some positive info on them. I love the black so we will see how it goes, would be nice if the Chrome played as good or better for me since its cheaper.
I think its longer off the tee than the black for me, and had more short iron spin. Maybe a little less spin around the greens, but nothing crazy. Cover is the same as the black so you know how durable it will be.

I think its longer off the tee than the black for me, and had more short iron spin. Maybe a little less spin around the greens, but nothing crazy. Cover is the same as the black so you know how durable it will be.

Sounds fantastic for sure. Have you had a chance to compare it to the black in windy conditions yet? For me the black cut through the wind and held its line better than any ball on the market.

Sounds fantastic for sure. Have you had a chance to compare it to the black in windy conditions yet? For me the black cut through the wind and held its line better than any ball on the market.
It was pretty windy today and it played well in the wind, but I don't know if it was better than the black or not, sorry.

It was pretty windy today and it played well in the wind, but I don't know if it was better than the black or not, sorry.
cool thanks man.

Good to hear, CB. I loved the Chrome when I played it yesterday, and I am putting it back in to play tommorrow. I saw similar spin on full wedge shots, and played to the back of the green to get it to spin back toward the pin. That is something that I rarely can do, and quite honestly, I loved being able to do that!

Dude that's awesome, I have not played with either for a round yet, just tinkered with them around the greens. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and give them a try.

Good to hear, CB. I loved the Chrome when I played it yesterday, and I am putting it back in to play tommorrow. I saw similar spin on full wedge shots, and played to the back of the green to get it to spin back toward the pin. That is something that I rarely can do, and quite honestly, I loved being able to do that!
Me too, I can usually get a tour ball to hit and stop with irons and maybe come back a little with a full wedge, but the spin I was seeing with the chrome was just cool for me. It was fun knowing that I was going to suck that ball back.
Dude that's awesome, I have not played with either for a round yet, just tinkered with them around the greens. Can't wait to get out tomorrow and give them a try.
Enjoy yourself out there, looking foward to your thoughts.

I will be taking the black and chrome to the course tomorrow. Cant wait

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I will be taking the black and chrome to the course tomorrow. Cant wait

Good luck out there man. Snow is finally gone here and it is supposed to be warm next week. Hopefully only 3 more weeks till the courses open up.

Me too, I can usually get a tour ball to hit and stop with irons and maybe come back a little with a full wedge, but the spin I was seeing with the chrome was just cool for me. It was fun knowing that I was going to suck that ball back.

Enjoy yourself out there, looking foward to your thoughts.

Exactly my thought. I usually get a hop and stop, but being able to hot past the flag and move it bad was just awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck out there man. Snow is finally gone here and it is supposed to be warm next week. Hopefully only 3 more weeks till the courses open up.

Thanks dude. Pretty excited to get out there

good to hear on the chromes .. i will be giving them a go as well as the TP3's .. trying to find something to replace the prov1x for me for cheaper . i dont want to pay 47 a dozen anymore especially when they arent durable.

Thanks dude. Pretty excited to get out there

Will a callaway ball fly true off of a ping club?

Tapatalk

All things fly true off the i20's

Looking forward to your thoughts Chunky, I think you will likey the Chrome.

Exactly my thought. I usually get a hop and stop, but being able to hot past the flag and move it bad was just awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now I'm really intrigued can't wait to see how these do for me

I haven't read this entire thread mainly because I wasn't really interested in callaway balls after last years offerings. I don't know whether this issue has already been brought up.
I found a brand new with no marks HEX black ball under a tree at the course today. I decided to give it a go as I was curious how it would work. When I picked up the ball it had zero marks on it, I checked. I hit my ball (penta) at the green from 90 yards out full wedge shot then I dropped the hex black and played the same shot with it. It had nice ball flight and felt similar off the club to the penta. Sucked back about the same as the penta too.
The thing that surprised me though was that one wedge shot and the ball was wrecked. It tore through the cover. Is this typical for the hex black or was it just a one off type thing? Next hole I decided to try to smoke it with the driver and it went for a swim instead so I only got to hit that one shot with it but I was surprised that it only took one solid wedge shot to tear the cover.

Back