Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

I've played both and prefer the Black. I do, however, love the way the Chrome feels off the driver at impact. You can really tell when you catch it sweet.

I kind of like the Callaway Yellow, it isn't translucent like other brands or glittery but it is a good bright yellow. I think the standard for yellow golf balls are the Vision UV golf balls.

Yesterday's round started out a little cold (30 degree tee off) and because I had a couple sleeves of Chromes in my bag I decided that a softer ball might be in order. I've been playing the Black since June and really like them except when its cold. I'll simplify this post and just say, the Chrome is an incredible golf ball. I played with one for the full round and it is still playable, albeit a little beat up. Some of the driver side spin issues I felt previously with the Chrome were nowhere to be found and the soft feel was very welcome. I'd been meaning to give the Chrome another shot and I'm glad I did, it really performed well for me yesterday.

Frick. I forgot how good a ball the hex black is.

To follow up on that post...

t4k sent me a sleeve of these, which was really cool of him. I decided to put them in play today since it had been awhile. Driver ball flight was very nice for me. Still quite high, but carry was good. Can't comment so much on irons since they were all hit like crap. It's really a great ball off of wedges. Flights pretty high for me and stops really quickly from a clean lie. I know it sounds stupid, but the alignment aid is one of the best. A little black line.

Bought another dozen and will keep playing them. Still not sold on the durability though. To me, that's the only weakness the ball has.

I've been playing the Hex Black pretty exclusively since they went on sale last year after Els's victory at the Brit Open. It is a fantastic ball. I love the way it reacts around the greens and off the irons. I understand what you're saying about the durability, but I've found they perform just as well once they get a bit of the grungy look to them. I've played a couple of rounds with one ball without any problems. The only time I've had to take them out of play was after a good cart-path bounce... and I've had more than a few take themselves out of play thanks to woods or lakes. Really helps that they're still available around $30 per dozen if you look hard enough--pretty unbeatable ball at that price.

To follow up on that post...

t4k sent me a sleeve of these, which was really cool of him. I decided to put them in play today since it had been awhile. Driver ball flight was very nice for me. Still quite high, but carry was good. Can't comment so much on irons since they were all hit like crap. It's really a great ball off of wedges. Flights pretty high for me and stops really quickly from a clean lie. I know it sounds stupid, but the alignment aid is one of the best. A little black line.

Bought another dozen and will keep playing them. Still not sold on the durability though. To me, that's the only weakness the ball has.

I grabbed a dozen AAAAA used for $22 shipped. I'm hoping they are in as good a shape as they are advertised to be. That's a great deal.

Who did you get them from?

I do believe it's lostgolfballs.com

I also purchased from them, and they are in mint condition

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I do like this golf ball. I'm not 100% convinced it's the perfect ball for me off the tee, but that's a question I need to answer on the LM. Basically need to see what kind of spin I get from it and find out if it's on the low side like I think it might be. Still, I hit my share of fine drives with it, so probably over-thinking that one.

Regardless of that, the short game performance is something else for me. Somehow, we had some very firm greens on Sunday and I was able to really control my distance with it quite well. Still not the most durable ball, but I like it too much to let that bother me.

Thinking I will give these a go...I tried the Chrome + and didn't care for them to much.

sorry to revive an old dead thread.

I found a callaway hex black and put it in play on my last round. I was VERY pleased with its performance. It was on par with the ProV1-X that is my current favorite. After some research, I am sad to see it is old tech and discontinued.

The only detrimental thing I noted was the cover was pretty scuffed up at the end of the round.

Can anyone recommend something newer with similar performance, (ideally cheaper than the ProV1-X)

sorry to revive an old dead thread.

I found a callaway hex black and put it in play on my last round. I was VERY pleased with its performance. It was on par with the ProV1-X that is my current favorite. After some research, I am sad to see it is old tech and discontinued.

The only detrimental thing I noted was the cover was pretty scuffed up at the end of the round.

Can anyone recommend something newer with similar performance, (ideally cheaper than the ProV1-X)

Maybe the Chrome Soft X if you're interested in a Callaway ball?

It's discontinued too, but you can stock up at a local Dunhams. Nike RZN Tour Platinums to me seem almost identical. They only have the PRACTICE ball, thus labelled, but the performance is the exact same as the regular ones. I bought an entire shopping cart full back when they had them for 7.99 a dozen 18 months or so back. Their normal price on them is 14.99 a dozen. It's one of the best all around balls I've ever played. Combines the best features in the best combo I've found. They also don't scuff easy. In any given catagory I have another ball that will beat them. The sum of the parts though leaves me gasping about what can beat them overall.

Reminded me a lot of the performance of the Hex Black, which is why I posted this. Nike ball might have a slightly higher compression and slightly less spin overall, but I'm not good enough to notice.

Back