Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
So I thought I would start a thread about these because they keep coming up in the other Callaway threads. I am really excited about these, as are a lot of other people, especially those of us representing Callaway at The Morgan Cup 2.0. The HEX line is replacing the i(z) and i(s) balls offered by Callaway. Callaway is really stepping up their game this year not just in their equipment, but in their golf ball line as well. Here is a quick rundown of both balls for those who haven't heard about these yet:

HEX Black: The Black is a 5-piece ball (sound familiar?) that is said to be a mix of the i(s) and the i(z). There are some of these balls already floating around out there in some pro shops that some reps have given out. Everything I have read so far says that it has the characteristics of the i(z) off the driver and long irons (long and lower spin), and the characteristics of the i(s) around the greens (high spin). Some players are seeing some pretty good distance gains compared to their current ball with this model. Some pro's are already putting these in play on tour, namely Phil Mickelson.

HEX Chrome: The Chrome is a 3-piece ball that is said to be a tour level ball for average sping speeds (sound familiar again?). This will be Callaways version of the B330-RX. Reports from this ball are that players are seeing a huge gain in distance (13-17 yards) and decent spin around the greens.

I am extremely excited for these balls to be released in early spring, these are two completely different balls but early reports seem to show that Callaway is going to be making some noise in the golf ball department in 2012. Both balls seemed to get great feedback on the durability as well. Both of these balls sound great and I can't wait to hit them side by side and find out which one works best for my game because both models sound like they have a lot to offer. If you happen to be one of the lucky few that snatches a sleeve of these up at your pro shop let us know what you think.

I would love to see head-to-head comparisons of the Black-Penta and the Chrome-330RX. Either way, the Black intrigues me because I really liked the i(s) and i(z) in limited experience with them. A mix sounds like it would be perfect.

For me it will come down to how much spin the Chrome gets around the greens. The only two balls I used in 2011 were the Penta and the B330-RX, so I think either of these Cally balls will work great for me. It will probably come down to how well the Chrome spins around the greens. I think my short game is what can really help lower my handicap this upcoming year so I want to make sure I have the best ball for me around the greens.

I have high hopes for the black. I really liked the I line, but a combo sounds great! I will be trying these for sure. Any release date yet?

I believe the release date is March 2nd

The HEX Black sounds like a good mix!

I played the Penta in 2011 with very good results. Looking forward to trying out the Callaway products in the spring.

10YardDraw is one of the lucky few who have gotten ahold of the HEX Black, he has some thoughts posted in the "what ball did you use your last round" thread around pages 128-131. He had some great things to say about them, even about the feel off the putter. He might be able to give us some more personal thoughts on these. I am just going based off of things I have read. Everything about these just sounds positive though.

Earlier this year i played a few matchplay games against Seamus91 and one of the bets was for a sleeve of the tour i(z) i won them and put them into play and the only downside for me was how durable they are was the only downside so if Callaway have that sorted i'm sold. Gonna be great fun testing both golf balls for The Morgan Cup

Earlier this year i played a few matchplay games against Seamus91 and one of the bets was for a sleeve of the tour i(z) i won them and put them into play and the only downside for me was how durable they are was the only downside so if Callaway have that sorted i'm sold. Gonna be great fun testing both golf balls for The Morgan Cup

You didn't find the tour iZ to be durable? I thought they were one of the more durable premium balls I've used.

The HEX Black for me has been awesome, its much more durable than the I series. For me its the iZ off the tee and long clubs and the iS around the greens and with the scoring irons/wedges. Just a awesome ball.

10YardDraw is one of the lucky few who have gotten ahold of the HEX Black, he has some thoughts posted in the "what ball did you use your last round" thread around pages 128-131. He had some great things to say about them, even about the feel off the putter. He might be able to give us some more personal thoughts on these. I am just going based off of things I have read. Everything about these just sounds positive though.

Ya man they are awesome for sure. I have not found anything negative so far really. I am also excited to try the Chrome out, havent been able to get ahold of those yet. The Black feels awesome off the putter, its a solid feel with just a very very slight click unlike the iZ that is a pretty darn clicky ball. I also feel like the compression is down on the HEX Black over the iZ I have been playing, really feels like it compresses good.

You didn't find the tour iZ to be durable? I thought they were one of the more durable premium balls I've used.

dont get me wrong they are a great ball but I found that my 8i down was tearing the skin off the ball on full shots. I know it's gonna happen with my wedges but not so much with my 8 & 9 irons. Could be due to hitting the ball from a steeper angle

I was a loyal i(z) user, but switched to the penta mid-summer, and loved it. I found, like dhjkelly, that the Cali ball ripped up pretty easily. I tried some Pentas while on sale, and love them. I even had a few balls last 2+ rounds without a mark. However, I prefer the feel of the i balls, so if the new one is more durable I could easily see myself switch back.

I am very excited about the "black" I am currently using the i(z) and i(s). I love the z off my driver and the s off my irons and wedges. It sees like the black will be exactly what I am looking for.

I am pretty excited to see all the new ball offerings from the manufacturers and to see how they compare to each other.

I would love to see head-to-head comparisons of the Black-Penta and the Chrome-330RX. Either way, the Black intrigues me because I really liked the i(s) and i(z) in limited experience with them. A mix sounds like it would be perfect.

I would like to see the comparison next to the balls that they are supposedly like. That would be interesting. I can't see anything beating the RX, but you never know!

Ya man they are awesome for sure. I have not found anything negative so far really. I am also excited to try the Chrome out, havent been able to get ahold of those yet. The Black feels awesome off the putter, its a solid feel with just a very very slight click unlike the iZ that is a pretty darn clicky ball. I also feel like the compression is down on the HEX Black over the iZ I have been playing, really feels like it compresses good.

10:

Right now you're our eye in the sky. Have you played the Penta? If so how do they compare? I am intrigued beyond all belief on this one.

Alex

I am super excited for the release of these. I can't wait to try the HEX Black.

I have played my last several rounds with the i(z) with pretty good success..really excited to try the new Hex series.

I have played my last several rounds with the i(z) with pretty good success..really excited to try the new Hex series.

I have played the i(z) as well but haven't played the i(s). Both new HEX balls sound like a great improvement on an already great product.

Never really liked the Penta so I will probably stay away from the Black. Looking forward to trying the Chrome!

10:

Right now you're our eye in the sky. Have you played the Penta? If so how do they compare? I am intrigued beyond all belief on this one.

Alex

lol yes I have played the Penta and to be honest I am not a big fan at all, way to much spin off the tee IMO. The iZ and Hex Black blow it out of the water IMO. Again this is just for me but ya its not even close. The Black has just the right amount of spin around the green, more than the iZ but not as much as the iS so your not sucking them off the green (which was a problem for me with the iS). This is just guesstimates but the iS would hit and suck back 5+ feet on full wedge shots, the iZ would hit and stop in its tracks or come back no more than a foot, the HEX Black would hit and either stop dead just like the iZ or come back a couple feet. Like I said just trying to give a idea of what its like around the green. What I really like too is even with the long clubs it will hold the green, ive held a couple 3 woods with the Black from 215+. They hit the front of the green and ended up about a foot from the back of it.

One of the big +'s for me is off the tee, I can have a really nasty hook so thats why I love the iZ off the tee, hardly ever hook that ball since its such low spin off the tee. The black is almost identical for me, maybe just a shade more spin but nothing that will cause problems. I also mentioned earlier I think its easier to compress over the iZ, I cant wait to see some compression ratings for it as it feels like I can really compress it. Its also a very good wind ball, I saw some normal distance drives into a strong wind which tells me it cuts straight through it. Overall I am very excited to be playing this ball next year and also cant wait to try the Chrome. This ball will be in a lot of peoples bags next year I guarantee it.

Never really liked the Penta so I will probably stay away from the Black. Looking forward to trying the Chrome!

That makes no sense, the HEX Black is nothing like the Penta.

Some teaser pics hehe.
HBT.jpg

HBT2.jpg

Back