Ping G20 Driver Review

Someone help me here. I loved the G10. Thought it was one of the best drivers that was out at the time. I thought the G15 was a step back and was really excited about the G20 coming out. Spent all weekend using it and just dont love it. Fair at best for me. It reminds me of the RAZR Hawk without the perfect sound. Not that the sound is bad mind you because its really pretty good, but after reading the reviews here I truly expected to love this thing. Help?

I think it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. You and many people on here love the lightweight Cleveland drivers, fairways, and hybrids. I personally can't hit any of the lightweight offerings with and consistency or confidence. I had my first round with the G20 today and for the first time since I had spinal surgery I hit multiple drives over 300 yards and in the fairway. I love this driver after the round today and love the fact that I can go after it without worry.

What did you figure out? I think I had one push slice today and that was it. This isnt the shortest driver out there, shaft lengthwise, so for me I have to be patient and not come over the top or block it.

I've been experimenting like crazy to deal with the club length - choking up, ball position, etc. Todays potential revalation was one part address, one part swing path.

I went with a wider stance, which I think promoted a flatter swing (supposition/theory...I don't know this for sure).

I fight an overly upright backswing which promotes the hideous over the top move, which gives us the hideous block / snap hook. I have been pretty solid with irons through hybrids, mediocre with the 3W and not good with the driver. To be clear, this is me and not the club. I finally felt like I was getting into a good position on the take away that was allowing me to find the correct slot on the downwing, if that makes sense. The backswing was slow and controlled and the downswing was pretty effortless and grooved and easy. The ball flight was straight and penetrating, just a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Sorry PING homers. (I too, now consider myself such)

After my debacle with the cracked G20 face and the nice but nothing spectacular performance of the i20 driver I finally decided to go for a 100% unbiased, every brand and shaft combo goes, honest to goodness fitting for every wood and rescue in my bag.

Sad to say that the i20 irons are the only PING products I'll be keeping around for now. I used the new G20 I got under warranty (OTR) to fund my new fitted driver.

I really wanted the G20 to be it, but the R11s outperformed every driver I tried. And I tried a LOT! Let's just say that my back, shoulders, and left knee are killing me right now!

Edit: To be fair, had the G20 been fully adjustable I might have been able to dial it in to top the R11s I honestly believe.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Sorry PING homers. (I too, now consider myself such)

After my debacle with the cracked G20 face and the nice but nothing spectacular performance of the i20 driver I finally decided to go for a 100% unbiased, every brand and shaft combo goes, honest to goodness fitting for every wood and rescue in my bag.

Sad to say that the i20 irons are the only PING products I'll be keeping around for now. I used the new G20 I got under warranty (OTR) to fund my new fitted driver.

I really wanted the G20 to be it, but the R11s outperformed every driver I tried. And I tried a LOT! Let's just say that my back, shoulders, and left knee are killing me right now!

Edit: To be fair, had the G20 been fully adjustable I might have been able to dial it in to top the R11s I honestly believe.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

You are a ho's ho. Isn't this your second R11s?

JB, I just think its in the opposite direction that you normally look. It seems you have a nice smooth swing, and Ultralight drivers seem right in your wheelhouse. The G20 on the other hand is quite hefty, and my best results come when I really get after it with a strong first move and quick transition. We seem to be polar opposites when it comes to drivers. Everytime I've gotten excited to hit a driver after reading that you like it, I've had poor results. However my R11 gives me the best numbers I've gotten from any driver to date, and my G20 is straight money for me. It's crazy how it works out.

Someone help me here. I loved the G10. Thought it was one of the best drivers that was out at the time. I thought the G15 was a step back and was really excited about the G20 coming out. Spent all weekend using it and just dont love it. Fair at best for me. It reminds me of the RAZR Hawk without the perfect sound. Not that the sound is bad mind you because its really pretty good, but after reading the reviews here I truly expected to love this thing. Help?

Think the stock shaft is keeping back for you in terms of performance compared to other offerings that offer amazing shafts as a stock option?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I think it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. You and many people on here love the lightweight Cleveland drivers, fairways, and hybrids. I personally can't hit any of the lightweight offerings with and consistency or confidence. I had my first round with the G20 today and for the first time since I had spinal surgery I hit multiple drives over 300 yards and in the fairway. I love this driver after the round today and love the fact that I can go after it without worry.

You are a ho's ho. Isn't this your second R11s?

JB, I just think its in the opposite direction that you normally look. It seems you have a nice smooth swing, and Ultralight drivers seem right in your wheelhouse. The G20 on the other hand is quite hefty, and my best results come when I really get after it with a strong first move and quick transition. We seem to be polar opposites when it comes to drivers. Everytime I've gotten excited to hit a driver after reading that you like it, I've had poor results. However my R11 gives me the best numbers I've gotten from any driver to date, and my G20 is straight money for me. It's crazy how it works out.

Im confused here guys. The J40 I play weighs more than this driver and The Classic I play does not weigh a whole lot less. Not sure where that side is coming from. Before that I played a Z-Star (average weight) and before that a TaylorMade R9

JB maybe you have developed into someone who prefers a deeper faced driver?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

JB maybe you have developed into someone who prefers a deeper faced driver?

Possibly. But my Z-Star was not overly deep and the Razr Hawk was definitely not deep. I think part of the issue nowadays with these new drivers it really comes down to standard shafts. Most of the heads are pretty outstanding in their own way, and this is an area I have said before is a place where Ping falls behind. Their standard offerings are average at best, however if they were to fit into your wheelhouse (your swing), you would love the driver.

Perhaps it also has something to do with the shaft being counter balanced. Whatever it is about this driver, I was hitting it right in the middle of the face.

Perhaps it also has something to do with the shaft being counter balanced. Whatever it is about this driver, I was hitting it right in the middle of the face.

Kinda what I said too

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I cant wait to give this driver a try. I didnt find consistent results with the Boccieri Heavy driver which was counter balanced too. My poor shots would pop up when I tried to really turn into it rather than just use slower, smoother swing. Yes, I know I should try to swing slow and smooth every time, but its easier said than done when in a match or facing a long par 4.

Hanks is smart

Possibly. But my Z-Star was not overly deep and the Razr Hawk was definitely not deep. I think part of the issue nowadays with these new drivers it really comes down to standard shafts. Most of the heads are pretty outstanding in their own way, and this is an area I have said before is a place where Ping falls behind. Their standard offerings are average at best, however if they were to fit into your wheelhouse (your swing), you would love the driver.

JB, what kind of driver swing would you consider yourself to have at this point? I know you've been working on it and getting more distance.

I know for me between the other two drivers I had out yesterday this one was just awesome for me. Maybe the shaft just works for my swing, Im not sure though. I did feel like I could swing pretty aggressively with the G20.

JB, what kind of driver swing would you consider yourself to have at this point? I know you've been working on it and getting more distance.

I know for me between the other two drivers I had out yesterday this one was just awesome for me. Maybe the shaft just works for my swing, Im not sure though. I did feel like I could swing pretty aggressively with the G20.

Pretty uniform is the best way to describe it. I am still a steep player coming down at the ball and I am not violent with my swing (as most that know me say), but I do swing at it.

Pretty uniform is the best way to describe it. I am still a steep player coming down at the ball and I am not violent with my swing (as most that know me say), but I do swing at it.

Violent your not with your swing Id agree. Violent will happen when you try the Spiderman green reading technique. I guess its just the different strokes thing. I have a Zstar here that TMex even touched that I cant hit worth a crap. Not sure why but Ive never been able to make that driver work for me.

Violent your not with your swing Id agree. Violent will happen when you try the Spiderman green reading technique. I guess its just the different strokes thing. I have a Zstar here that TMex even touched that I cant hit worth a crap. Not sure why but Ive never been able to make that driver work for me.

I think you are right. It goes back to why its so important to hit lots of clubs before making a decision and why I love the THP Demo Day. Put them all next to each other outside and let the members decide which is best.

I don't think the G20 is longer than my R9. But what it does well is goes fairly straight. Somehow, I feel like I can just smooth that baby to good results. I imagine the G20 is the one driver on the market that might not be as easy to hit as the Classic. I find that I can't rare back and hammer this driver. When I do, bad stuff happens. But when I stay connected and keep that even keeled tempo, I see dead straight balls (you know that's rare for me).

Yesterday the G20 seemed to be a little longer then the Supertri but not by a ton. But it was longer. It also seemed easier for me to keep straight for some reason. I kept wanting to pull the Supertri a lot more. In the end my misses just seemed much better with the G20 and I had less of them.

Yesterday the G20 seemed to be a little longer then the Supertri but not by a ton. But it was longer. It also seemed easier for me to keep straight for some reason. I kept wanting to pull the Supertri a lot more. In the end my misses just seemed much better with the G20 and I had less of them.

Not to get off topic here buddy, but I'm curious as to how your RUL experience was.

This is an interesting question to follow, JB. For whatever reason, this G20 combo just works for me. Plenty long but the forgiveness if off the charts - I finally hit a snap hook yesterday (my normal miss) that I still was able to play. Never thought I'd play a 12*, high torque GI driver, but I am almost 4 shots below my same course average the past 6 rounds with this and the i20 irons.

Wish I could help more but I've never been able to find a J40 or ZStar driver to hit. I do know the Cleveland and TM drivers with stock shafts have not been kind to me in terms of forgiveness, even though I tried hard to bag them (I owned the 270, 290 and 2.0 and hit the R11, Classic and 310 through the demo process).

Must curious, JB, in what way do you feel Ping falls behind in terms of the heads?

This is an interesting question to follow, JB. For whatever reason, this G20 combo just works for me. Plenty long but the forgiveness if off the charts - I finally hit a snap hook yesterday (my normal miss) that I still was able to play. Never thought I'd play a 12*, high torque GI driver, but I am almost 4 shots below my same course average the past 6 rounds with this and the i20 irons.

Wish I could help more but I've never been able to find a J40 or ZStar driver to hit. I do know the Cleveland and TM drivers with stock shafts have not been kind to me in terms of forgiveness, even though I tried hard to bag them (I owned the 270, 290 and 2.0 and hit the R11, Classic and 310 through the demo process).

Must curious, JB, in what way do you feel Ping falls behind in terms of the heads?

Im not sure it does fall behind in other heads.
Question for you. Have you played a 12* driver in any of the other models you mentioned? Could it be that the higher loft is making a bigger difference than the driver here?

I definitely think it is making a difference, JB, and this is a great point. I had my 910 set up to 11.25* and still am not getting the launch angle I need. I just got an Ilimia shaft to try in it. I've been around 11* for years, but with the G20 I am getting 15*. My game off the tee is literally changing from a relatively low, draw that runs a bit to a big, high fade that's all carry. I am thinking of trading in the 10.5 910 head for a 12* to test the hypothesis or i will at least hit side by side at the next Titleist demo day because I'd like to answer this question better myself.

The other thing I was just thinking about is that it seems like you have very consistent swing - I would say my swing is pretty consistent for everything except the driver - so maybe the G20 combo just simply can accommodate a wider range of swings. I am not seeing the "same" shots off the tee, just a lot more playable ones.

Im not sure it does fall behind in other heads.
Question for you. Have you played a 12* driver in any of the other models you mentioned? Could it be that the higher loft is making a bigger difference than the driver here?

I definitely think it is making a difference, JB, and this is a great point. I had my 910 set up to 11.25* and still am not getting the launch angle I need. I just got an Ilimia shaft to try in it. I've been around 11* for years, but with the G20 I am getting 15*. My game off the tee is literally changing from a relatively low, draw that runs a bit to a big, high fade that's all carry. I am thinking of trading in the 10.5 910 head for a 12* to test the hypothesis or i will at least hit side by side at the next Titleist demo day because I'd like to answer this question better myself.

The other thing I was just thinking about is that it seems like you have very consistent swing - I would say my swing is pretty consistent for everything except the driver - so maybe the G20 combo just simply can accommodate a wider range of swings. I am not seeing the "same" shots off the tee, just a lot more playable ones.

One thing more to mention is that just about every head you mentioned above was a low spin head and now you are moving to a head that in my testing is higher spin than those. So going up in loft and up in spin, you are finding something that is working for your game, which is great.

I think you can set your 10.5 910 D2 head to 12' at the highest loft setting.

One thing more to mention is that just about every head you mentioned above was a low spin head and now you are moving to a head that in my testing is higher spin than those. So going up in loft and up in spin, you are finding something that is working for your game, which is great.

The G20 technically is a low spin head high spin shaft no? Just that it's higher spinning then others you've tested?

Back