Ping G20 Driver Review

Bought this driver the other day and for the first time I feel I have found a keeper. It is going to take an awful lot to take it out of the rotation. Got the 9.5*, Stiff stock shaft. #driverlove

Bought this driver the other day and for the first time I feel I have found a keeper. It is going to take an awful lot to take it out of the rotation. Got the 9.5*, Stiff stock shaft. #driverlove

I have that same combo.....it's awesome!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I honestly did not expect to be walking out of the store with a stock shaft. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It really fit my swing. Everything I hit with it either went dead straight or a slight fade. I have not had it at the course yet, but on the Vector I was no more than 20 yards offline on 15 drives. The distance was solid too, but accuracy trumps every time for me.

I just had my G20 w/ TFC169D Tour Stiff shaft cut down 1" from 45.75" to 44.75" about a week ago. I've been to the range a couple times and played once, and I have to say I've felt an increase in accuracy. I didn't do anything with weighting to counter the effects of trimming down the shaft an inch, but my misses aren't as severe as they used to be. I can't say I've really noticed a loss in distance. In fact, during the one round I played since cutting it down I had some tee shots among the longest I've had on the respective holes. The club still feels great so I probably won't worry about the change in swing weight.

Any comparison to the Rapture V2?

I have that same combo.....it's awesome!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

how did you decide on the loft? Why 9.5 and not 10.5? This has been on my mind recently.

how did you decide on the loft? Why 9.5 and not 10.5? This has been on my mind recently.

Maybe because it's a higher spinning/launching head. I don't know. Maybe Hanks can confirm my reasoning...

Driving for show and chutting for dough

Hey guys, I am wondering what the difference between the normal shaft and the tour version is. "Tour" sounds like something I shouldnt be playing, but I would like to make sure.

When I bought mine I put my Matrix Radix HD 4 shaft in it and absolutely love it. It has completely ended my search for a driver. Love everything about it. All the love that the stock shaft has gotten really has me intrigued though. I may throw the stock shaft back in and give it a whirl.

When I bought mine I put my Matrix Radix HD 4 shaft in it and absolutely love it. It has completely ended my search for a driver. Love everything about it. All the love that the stock shaft has gotten really has me intrigued though. I may throw the stock shaft back in and give it a whirl.

Thanks Dev, when you mention stock shaft you mean the non tour one?

Thanks Dev, when you mention stock shaft you mean the non tour one?

Yes the non-tour version. I liked it quite a bit when I hit in the store but I really liked my current shaft. I may just throw it back in there.

Yes the non-tour version. I liked it quite a bit when I hit in the store but I really liked my current shaft. I may just throw it back in there.

Cool, can you let us know if you do? I would be very interested in your thoughts on it.

It's what was sent by PING for testing which was fine since I tend to hit a 9.5 better than a 10.5 in most circumstances anyway

Cool, can you let us know if you do? I would be very interested in your thoughts on it.

I most certainly will. I think it was JRod that was mashing his G20 with the stock shaft and raved about it. Not sure if he is still using it or not.

I did the same thing though I had Ping do to try to get the SW back up as much as possible. It definitely is unbelievably accurate. I planned to get the Anser which is longer for me but after comparing them the past two rounds I'm sticking with the G20 - just can't get over how accurate this thing is -1" especially. Glad to see you are having the same success.

I just had my G20 w/ TFC169D Tour Stiff shaft cut down 1" from 45.75" to 44.75" about a week ago. I've been to the range a couple times and played once, and I have to say I've felt an increase in accuracy. I didn't do anything with weighting to counter the effects of trimming down the shaft an inch, but my misses aren't as severe as they used to be. I can't say I've really noticed a loss in distance. In fact, during the one round I played since cutting it down I had some tee shots among the longest I've had on the respective holes. The club still feels great so I probably won't worry about the change in swing weight.

Back