Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Major skim but has anyone tried the higher lofted woods out of the rough? Trying to decide between multiple woods or dropping one and playing the mashie hybrid.

Specifically the 20.5*

--
tapatalk

I struggled mightily with the Mashie 3W Saturday on the range. I just could not keep it straight. Actually my first good shot came when I threw a ball down on the turf and took a rip at it not on a tee. Not sure what I was doing but it was the worse of my woods.

If you hit it well off the turf, but not off the tee, it is normally just something small. Next time take a step back and slow down and try to think about if you are doing something differently. It should come together after that.

If you hit it well off the turf, but not off the tee, it is normally just something small. Next time take a step back and slow down and try to think about if you are doing something differently. It should come together after that.

Yeah that was a little confusing to me. I hit three or four left then throw one down on the turf and just hit it beautifully. I'll say this about the Mashie it is the absolute easiest 3W to hit off the turf. Now I just need to work on off the tee. Saturday I just hit the RBZ so much better though and by a large margin. One thing I wondered about was maybe if going from the Fast 12, Ping G20, RBZ 3W and then to the Mashie was if weight had anything to do with it? It might have been me trying to over swing with the Mashie which does not work.

I had some small issues off the tee but hit it well off the turf at first too, Kmac. I actually wondered the same thing when it came to switching from club to club, especially now that I have a pretty heavy feeling 3 wood to test. It went away though. Now I tee it barely off the ground like I would an iron and treat it like its on the turf.

I'll have to have a range session with a little more time devoted to it this week. I know its not a question of offset because the Mashie 3W's just dont have that much. I do think I might have been teeing the ball a tad too high though. Plus I was more into drivers on Saturday and would grab the Mashie or RBZ just to change the pace a bit.

I'll have to have a range session with a little more time devoted to it this week. I know its not a question of offset because the Mashie 3W's just dont have that much. I do think I might have been teeing the ball a tad too high though. Plus I was more into drivers on Saturday and would grab the Mashie or RBZ just to change the pace a bit.

I did that at the beginning myself. I am now teeing it up the same I would an iron or hybrid off the tee. Looking forward to your next update.

Was at the range today and hit my F3. Dont like to hit this club off mats at all. I wish we had more grass ranges. Sucks to practice when you feel the mat is preventing you to do it properly. Stupid Sweden and its non grass ranges.

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

Mats and Mashies are like kissing a hot girl on the cheek.

Mats and Mashies are like kissing a hot girl on the cheek.

Something like that yes! I guess I'll have to head out for a round and shoot 5 balls with the F3 from each tee as practice lol.

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

Major skim but has anyone tried the higher lofted woods out of the rough? Trying to decide between multiple woods or dropping one and playing the mashie hybrid.

Specifically the 20.5*

--
tapatalk

Mine should arrive today, the F7. Will let you know. Glad it's almost here because the M3+ is being fussy. Swings so different from the way I've been striking my irons and FW.

I hit the F3 really well on Saturday. 220-230 off the tee, awesome feel, sound, ball flight. My tee shots were as good as it gets and it was nice to grab the F3 if I was worried about going through the FW....lots of doglegs at that course.

Specifically the 20.5*

--
tapatalk

I hit my Mashie FW3 out of the pine straw Saturday on a par 5 beautifully. I have found that I can use it from any situation. Those glide rails are magnificent.

F7 is awesome. Swings like the F3 with a 6 iron ball flight. Should be great for going at pins. Compared to the M3+ the ball goes higher and maybe a touch longer. Wasn't looking for max distance here, just the same look/feel/performance of the F3 with a higher flight. Bingo. Perfect 3I/3H replacement for me.

This bad boy came along with my 588 CB's. 18* M2 W Miya stiff.
Cruise2012196.jpg

Cruise2012197.jpg

Can't wait to get it out on the links this weekend. I have hit the Mashie's a lot, but never gamed one, so it is really exciting.

I hit my Mashie FW3 out of the pine straw Saturday on a par 5 beautifully. I have found that I can use it from any situation. Those glide rails are magnificent.

F7 is awesome. Swings like the F3 with a 6 iron ball flight. Should be great for going at pins. Compared to the M3+ the ball goes higher and maybe a touch longer. Wasn't looking for max distance here, just the same look/feel/performance of the F3 with a higher flight. Bingo. Perfect 3I/3H replacement for me.

Thank you both for the update, these still haven't arrived en masse to my neck of the woods yet.

Following an epic slice drive this morning I found myself in the adjoining FW. I had a very tall stand of trees in front of me, managed to laser 191 to pin. There was no working anything left or right as the trees ran to the green. Hybrid (not in the bag), 4I, F3 would have put me straight into the trees, I had to clear them. Needed a bunch of carry or I wouldn't have a chance of going up and over, mid irons out. Other option was to go backward to my own FW.

Pulled the F7, choked down, and ripped it off a clean and tight FW lie. Lost it immediately in the sun. Listened for the sound of trees, nothing. Heard a thump and headed toward the green. As I got closer I saw the ball about 20 feet under the pin. Couldn't believe I got the height I needed to clear the trees.

F7 is exactly what I was expecting. A club that can get me 200 or so yards with a mid iron ball flight. Choking down gives me good distance control. That hole would have been bogey at the very best without the F7. Made par instead.

I have thought about dumping my 3 hybrid and going with the F7 in the past. I'll be hitting one this weekend to see if I like the idea or not

I have thought about dumping my 3 hybrid and going with the F7 in the past. I'll be hitting one this weekend to see if I like the idea or not

I was hesitant, but it works pretty well in my current setup. No messing with a "hybrid" swing and getting that extra lift should let me go for some of those tougher pin locations. Seeing so much of the face at address is odd and it's easy for me to think I have to close or open it. I love hybrids, but I love the Mashie FWs a little more.

Great shot Griff! Have you noticed a miss with the fairway that you don't typically have with any other clubs? By that I mean to you normally miss right or left and the fairway goes the opposite?

Everyone I've talked to seems to love this club for it's versatility so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of why that is vs the traditional fairway wood.

Nice shot Griff. Love those types of stories!

Great shot Griff! Have you noticed a miss with the fairway that you don't typically have with any other clubs? By that I mean to you normally miss right or left and the fairway goes the opposite?

Everyone I've talked to seems to love this club for it's versatility so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of why that is vs the traditional fairway wood.

I know that I'm not Griff, but my miss with the Mashie is the same miss with my previous FWs which is a fade. I have already hit more straight shots with this off the ground than I had with previous clubs and the fades do seem more managable (but still a distance sucker).

Without seeing numbers, I would surmise that the offset in the Mashie FW is more like the Mashie+ Hybrid (some assistance, but not taking you the opposite direction) than the 2011 Mashie (could take you in opposite direction).

solid shot griff....sounds like that's a club not leaving the bag anytime soon

Following an epic slice drive this morning I found myself in the adjoining FW. I had a very tall stand of trees in front of me, managed to laser 191 to pin. There was no working anything left or right as the trees ran to the green. Hybrid (not in the bag), 4I, F3 would have put me straight into the trees, I had to clear them. Needed a bunch of carry or I wouldn't have a chance of going up and over, mid irons out. Other option was to go backward to my own FW.

Pulled the F7, choked down, and ripped it off a clean and tight FW lie. Lost it immediately in the sun. Listened for the sound of trees, nothing. Heard a thump and headed toward the green. As I got closer I saw the ball about 20 feet under the pin. Couldn't believe I got the height I needed to clear the trees.

F7 is exactly what I was expecting. A club that can get me 200 or so yards with a mid iron ball flight. Choking down gives me good distance control. That hole would have been bogey at the very best without the F7. Made par instead.

I know that I'm not Griff, but my miss with the Mashie is the same miss with my previous FWs which is a fade. I have already hit more straight shots with this off the ground than I had with previous clubs and the fades do seem more managable (but still a distance sucker).

Without seeing numbers, I would surmise that the offset in the Mashie FW is more like the Mashie+ Hybrid (some assistance, but not taking you the opposite direction) than the 2011 Mashie (could take you in opposite direction).

Excellent! I have zero problems hooking the ball now, no needing help there :beat-up:

Excellent! I have zero problems hooking the ball now, no needing help there :beat-up:

Now, I've never had a hooking problem, so whatever offset is present that helps my fade may make the hook worse (from a conceptual perspective).

Now, I've never had a hooking problem, so whatever offset is present that helps my fade may make the hook worse (from a conceptual perspective).

Makes sense, I don't have the tendency to hook this years Mashie like the prior. Granted it was in a sim but still gives me rough idea, so if the fairway is similar then I'm golden. A bad swing will always produce a bad result, I'm just trying to make sure I don't put something in the bag that I will get scared of when the chips are down.

Back