Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

Haha I already have. In fact, this year I've already tried out 20XI-X, ProV1x, Hex Black and Hex Chrome. For me, it just happens to be Hex Chome fit my swing/putt the best so I made such a big commitment. :act-up:

Then thats awesome for you. Good luck. I have heard nothing but good things about the ball.

I enjoy having a ball I can trust with pretty good durability. So far, aside from losing them I've only killed the cover on one ball and it was a trooper. Took 4 full wedge shots, a cart path, 2 tree's and a gritty bunker to do it. That to me is quite impressive.

I can't wait for the chance to hit these. No one close sells these yet, but guessing they will soon.

Just shipped a few of my Hex Chromes back to Callaway. So far, 3 of the 12 have cracked along the dimple lines after a few holes. Never seen this before from any golf ball. With that said, I still really like these..

A while back I had said that the Chromes were too "spinny" for me off the driver, well today I found out that I need to learn not to blame the ball for my swing issues. I put this in to play for the second 18 I played today, and went on to start unleashing some solid drives with it. Just love the feel of the Chrome with the full iron shots and wedge shots, and from what I saw with it today, I liked it off the driver. Think I am going to put this in to play for the next few weeks to see if the good results hold up for me.

I played the Chromes for another 9 today and I am absolutely loving them! I only missed 1 fairway all day I wasn't having any problems with too much spin or anything off the driver. Distance was great, greenside spin is great. I am done shopping for my ball, no need to try the Blacks again. I dropped a Black here and there today to hit a shot with them and everything just felt better with the Chrome. I am loving the performance around the greens, my short game is the best it has been in a long time. So glad I didn't write them off after my first round with them. I hit a few bad shots the first time I tried them, and during that round I kept switching back and forth from the Black to the Chrome. I played the Black for 2 9-hole rounds, and now I have played the Chrome for 3 9-hole rounds. Chrome wins hands down. Best part is I will be saving a few bucks too!

I still can't seem to decide which is the best ball for me the Black or the Chrome....I have played several rounds with both and they both have great stuff about them.....just don't know.

I think I will play tommorrow and alternate balls each hole and see how that works.

Playing a round tomorrow and while I have more balls than I need I think I will pickup a dozen Black and give them a go. So many great reviews can't be wrong.

IN, glad you are seeing results similar to me and loving the Chrome. Great all around ball with spin around the greens thats mind bottling.

Yeah CB, overall I like everything about the Chrome better than the Black now. Even yesterday when I was trying to put spin on the ball to hit a cut I was worried that the Chrome would spin a lot more off the tee than the black and cut too much. That was not the case. Both balls seemed to spin equally off the tee when I would try to compare. I love everything about the Chrome just as much as the Black, and some things like distance an short iron spin I like the Chrome better.

Played another 9 with the Chrome today. Another amazing 9 holes. Short game has been the best it has ever been since I switched to the Chrome. Great distance, great greenside spin, and such a soft feel off the putter. The ball has a nice bounce off the face and just gets rolling so well. My short game is the best it has ever been because I know exactly how the ball is going to perform and how it is going to spin. I have never before been so confident in how consistently a ball is going to perform for me on each and every shot. I am so glad I gave these another chance because my first round I ever played with them I did not care for them. Now they blow the Black out of the water for me. I can't say how well they will work for players with faster swing speeds, but for players like myself with slower swing speeds (I play a shaft between stiff and regular) this ball is second do none.

I played both balls today, alternating holes....and I have to say I played the Black a little better...don't know that it was $10 a dozen more expensive better...but it was better

Played another 9 with the Chrome today. Another amazing 9 holes. Short game has been the best it has ever been since I switched to the Chrome. Great distance, great greenside spin, and such a soft feel off the putter. The ball has a nice bounce off the face and just gets rolling so well. My short game is the best it has ever been because I know exactly how the ball is going to perform and how it is going to spin. I have never before been so confident in how consistently a ball is going to perform for me on each and every shot. I am so glad I gave these another chance because my first round I ever played with them I did not care for them. Now they blow the Black out of the water for me. I can't say how well they will work for players with faster swing speeds, but for players like myself with slower swing speeds (I play a shaft between stiff and regular) this ball is second do none.

Dam IN, I don't feel I am experienced enough to be picky on ball choice but you are giving a pretty good sales pitch on the Chromes.. I feel as though I should give them a shot!

Played the Black yesterday and shot 77 so hard not to like the ball. Used just one ball for the entire round (hit it out of play once but found it). Did notice some of the edge wear people are mentioning here that was more noticeable vs the Pro V1x. Felt like this ball was very "forgiving" off the driver which is my #1 goal right now - no shots strayed way off line. Spin into the greens was perfect. Guy I was playing with was using Pro V1x (my normal ball) and spinning it all over the place, twice off the front of the green. Black tends to stop in a reasonable range making it very predictable, another thing I like. As I've mentioned before, Black is definitely more clicky off the putter vs the Pro V1, B330, etc., but that is a low priority. I've got a few more sleeves I will be playing through along with a sleeve of Chromes and definitely looking forward to it.

$75 for that course is a steal, so I'll definitely let you know if I get up there, Frank - I'll give you more than a couple strokes since Ping is like cheating :0. Torrey is brutal cost wise, unfortunately - they used to have a County rate for about $70 that was great, but got rid of it so only City residents get a deal. Its a real shame because I like playing both courses but just can't justify $200+ a round when at one point years ago I paid $18.

I agree on the clicky sound, but I'm working through it - nothing sounds like a ProV1 off the face of a Scotty....BTW, the article I was talking about, the VP of ball development from TM said that the "soft" feel that we experience, is really about sound, and not the soft feel, he said a two-piece RBZ ball is really softer, but it does not sound that way.....

I'm a Troon member, so I can play at Monarch for $75 versus the stupid daily fee of $175 (which I've NEVER paid!!!!) - let me know if you're ever in town, you can play on my member rate. This Troon rate allows me to play Maderas for 50% off as well (this course is in your area)...I'd love to play Torrey, it's on my bucket list, not sure if Carlsbad folks play there....

Might be fun, Ping versus Callaway, you'd have to give me a few strokes if you're an 8.3....FB

Played another 9 with the Chrome today. Another amazing 9 holes. Short game has been the best it has ever been since I switched to the Chrome. Great distance, great greenside spin, and such a soft feel off the putter. The ball has a nice bounce off the face and just gets rolling so well. My short game is the best it has ever been because I know exactly how the ball is going to perform and how it is going to spin. I have never before been so confident in how consistently a ball is going to perform for me on each and every shot. I am so glad I gave these another chance because my first round I ever played with them I did not care for them. Now they blow the Black out of the water for me. I can't say how well they will work for players with faster swing speeds, but for players like myself with slower swing speeds (I play a shaft between stiff and regular) this ball is second do none.[/QUOTE

Interesting review! I have about a 90mph ss, so I starting playing the chromes. For me, way to much spin off the driver. I play a power fade, and it at times was damn near or was, a power slice! ( And this was when I was hitting the driver well ) And they weren't anything special for me around the greens. I picked up a sleeve of Blacks, and played them yesterday on the firm greens of Thee Pilgrims oak. I was afraid of how they would react around the greens for me. Off the driver, they felt firm and "heavy?" Distance was good, but I still got a good amount of sidespin. Hit a couple of 300 yard drives, problem was they were 225 yards straight and 75 yards across! ( Truth be told, my driver swing was a bit out of whack! ) Off the irons they felt fine, and they held the greens well. What floored me was how much check and spin I got on short pitches and chips! Had a lot of pins in the front that I was short of, and was easily able to get these to 1 hop and stop. And the oak greens are about as firm as it gets up this way. I plan on trying to sort out my driver swing this week, and I will play them again and see if the side spin gets better. For me, these seem like a really good situational ball - on an open course with firm greens, a great choice. On a tighter course, I would have to stick with my Z-stars.

Last edited:
Played the Black yesterday and shot 77 so hard not to like the ball. Used just one ball for the entire round (hit it out of play once but found it). Did notice some of the edge wear people are mentioning here that was more noticeable vs the Pro V1x. Felt like this ball was very "forgiving" off the driver which is my #1 goal right now - no shots strayed way off line. Spin into the greens was perfect. Guy I was playing with was using Pro V1x (my normal ball) and spinning it all over the place, twice off the front of the green. Black tends to stop in a reasonable range making it very predictable, another thing I like. As I've mentioned before, Black is definitely more clicky off the putter vs the Pro V1, B330, etc., but that is a low priority. I've got a few more sleeves I will be playing through along with a sleeve of Chromes and definitely looking forward to it.

I've played 7 rounds with them now, I've seen quite a bit of edge wear. I'm going to put a ProV1x into play today at Tijeras Creek Golf Club, just for $hits and giggles, and see how they play compared to the Black ball. I've got a pretty good baseline from the Black ball, so we'll see how it goes. I played last night and played really well, was 1-over through 7 and then made triple and bogey to finish my 9-hole round 5 over.....YUCK!!!!!!!

The i20 stuff is PURE!!!!! I'm a bit smitten with Titleist stuff, I just ordered a 910F-D 15' and a 910F 19', I like being able to adjust the lie angle on these. I'm swapping out the Razr X Black FW woods....

FB

This was in the discount thread, but Budget golf is currently offering both the Chrome and the Black for $30 per dozen. Free shipping on orders of $100 or more. I am still trying to decide if I really like the Black that much better than the Chrome, but for $30/ dozen I am planning to load up on Blacks and not worry about it.

I've played the Black for two rounds so far. Used a different ball each round. I have "yet" to lose one. The wear I am seeing it from a cart path hit and also some, what looks like cracking, around the hex "dimples". Other than that I am loving the performance I am seeing from them.

I've played the Black for two rounds so far. Used a different ball each round. I have "yet" to lose one. The wear I am seeing it from a cart path hit and also some, what looks like cracking, around the hex "dimples". Other than that I am loving the performance I am seeing from them.

Yea, I played a whole round with 1 yesterday, and hit Rocks twice ( don't ask! ) a cart path and a flagstick. Ball was barely scuffed - I was a bit shocked by that to be honest! If I had a higher swing speed to get the most out of these balls off the tee, I don't know that you could get a better ball - and I don't like Callaway!

I havent been able to play very much at all recently due to work and life but im going to finish off my dozen of chromes to see if I see better results than before. The Black just works so perfectly for me but hey I have 11 chromes left so I may as well use them and give them another shot. Hopefully getting out this weekend or sooner since the weather warmed back up but now its raining and forecasted to rain almost every day this week. Just my luck lol.

I havent been able to play very much at all recently due to work and life but im going to finish off my dozen of chromes to see if I see better results than before. The Black just works so perfectly for me but hey I have 11 chromes left so I may as well use them and give them another shot. Hopefully getting out this weekend or sooner since the weather warmed back up but now its raining and forecasted to rain almost every day this week. Just my luck lol.

That's how I felt. I had a couple sleeves of Chromes left, and figured I may as well give them a good workout. After a couple rounds, I like them more than I did before, but I still like the Black better.

That's how I felt. I had a couple sleeves of Chromes left, and figured I may as well give them a good workout. After a couple rounds, I like them more than I did before, but I still like the Black better.

Thats my plan dude, may as well use them up. Its a good ball no doubt just from what I saw at first it had way to much spin off the tee for me. The black has just been the perfect ball so far. However this turns out I will just be happy getting out and playing after not being able to get out hardly at all.

Interesting review! I have about a 90mph ss, so I starting playing the chromes. For me, way to much spin off the driver. I play a power fade, and it at times was damn near or was, a power slice! ( And this was when I was hitting the driver well ) And they weren't anything special for me around the greens. I picked up a sleeve of Blacks, and played them yesterday on the firm greens of Thee Pilgrims oak. I was afraid of how they would react around the greens for me. Off the driver, they felt firm and "heavy?" Distance was good, but I still got a good amount of sidespin. Hit a couple of 300 yard drives, problem was they were 225 yards straight and 75 yards across! ( Truth be told, my driver swing was a bit out of whack! ) Off the irons they felt fine, and they held the greens well. What floored me was how much check and spin I got on short pitches and chips! Had a lot of pins in the front that I was short of, and was easily able to get these to 1 hop and stop. And the oak greens are about as firm as it gets up this way. I plan on trying to sort out my driver swing this week, and I will play them again and see if the side spin gets better. For me, these seem like a really good situational ball - on an open course with firm greens, a great choice. On a tighter course, I would have to stick with my Z-stars.

Thats interesting. The first time I played with the Chrome and Black in the same round I kept hitting the Black straight off the tee and I was slicing the Chrome. Figured out later it must have just been my swing that day. I have been able to play a perfect low cut with the Chromes for the last 2 rounds with no problem and haven't sliced one. And up until the last week or so I have been struggling with slicing my driver. The first time I went out to hit the Chrome I just had it in my head that so many people were talking about how they feel like they get more sidespin with the Chrome, so I was worried about slicing it. When you think you are gonna slice it what happens? You slice it. I am glad I gave them another try because I feel like I have better control over them off the tee without too much spin. Make sure you give them a good chance, you will see many "second thoughts" on the Chromes in this thread and people are surprised at how well people like them after they give them a second shot. Seems like rarely the guys like the Chrome after their first round with them, and I worry that some of us (myself included) go in with preconcieved notions of how we are going to hit them.

I have yet to play the chrome, the black is aawesome. I thank the callaway rep for shooting me some at a demo day. What I like
driver- feels really good, maybe a tad better than the iz. Ioved the iz off the tee
Irons- feel good. A tad better than the last penta, zstars feel a bit better to me.
Wedges- check up nice off chips and full shots. Best callaway I played in this regard
putter- I really like these here! They shine. I love the way they sound and feel. I just have that sense when I get a good stroke. The sound is clicky like the iz I used a lot. Pretty soft but let's you know

I could possibly game these in midsession. I am impressed (side note, wonder what they are like off the forged wedges-stellar)

Back