Future THP Outings & Demo Days

Same here on each question - Hanks DOES speak the truth!

Thanks for opening this up to everyone to discuss!

I like Stay and Play
Major city is best for helping keep costs in line
Tour Level courses are what makes the outings that much more special.
Banquet is the way to go....group settign at least one of the nights is nice

I suggested that and her response was that she did not want to go on a golf vaca for our anniversary. I understand that she wants it to be us time not me go play golf time.

The places these have been held are have AWESOME SPA'S. It sounds like she doesn't want to share you with us. LOL!

SELL "THE SPA"! SELL "THE SPA"

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses? Stay and play has worked well the last couple outings and I'm sure it will again next week.

Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
I'm ok with driving in from bigger airports if needed

Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
The tour level courses are a lot of fun. But I don't think it needs to be a tour level course.

Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food? I really like the banquet. Though the costs are high to THP, I think it brings everyone together on one night to enjoy great food and company. One of the first nights at The Morgan Cup we all went out to a local place to eat and even with about 16 people it got confusing at times. Plus I like being able to stay at the resort and not have to worry about transportation back and forth.

Stay & play, major city, tour level courses, banquet.

I understand how some of the alternatives can work to reduce costs but they may detract from the sense of doing a special group event.

I could be wrong about this but my sense is the events tend to be tilted toward occuring east of the Mississippi. My suggestion would be to come west, or at least be in the central part of the country so as to distribute the travel burden a bit. That said, I think you guys do a great job and all your hard work is much appreciated.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
EITHER. I think it depends on what course the event is planned for?

Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
Prefer major cities. But, if drive is less than 2 hours and it opens up more resorts/courses to the rotation, I think the drive is okay. But, that also adds rental car costs.

Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
Tour level courses or current/previous Top 100 type locations.

Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?
BANQUET DINNER. That really is the icing on the cake for the THP Outings!

I love the ideas of staying onsite. Since the banquet/raffle is so fun and most seem to enjoy the camaraderie after the golf is over, I'd sure hate to see something happen if someone were to get in a car accident or worse traveling back to their respective hotel.

Stay & play, major city, tour level courses, banquet.

I understand how some of the alternatives can work to reduce costs but they may detract from the sense of doing a special group event.

I could be wrong about this but my sense is the events tend to be tilted toward occuring east of the Mississippi. My suggestion would be to come west, or at least be in the central part of the country so as to distribute the travel burden a bit. That said, I think you guys do a great job and all your hard work is much appreciated.

While we have never ruled that out in the future, the logistics from our end are far easier if the demo day remains fairly close to THP HQ.

I honestly think most things should stay the same, but I like the idea of being able to choose cheaper lodging and then driving to the course.

I honestly think most things should stay the same, but I like the idea of being able to choose cheaper lodging and then driving to the course.

I would think if you could find a hotel that most would stay it, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But being at the same resort with everyone is really nice. Heck you meet up with people when you check in, walk through the lobby and see someone at the ibar(at PGA National), or by the pool. The villas I think set up a little different for this years, so I'm interested to see how the dynamic works. I know it's going to rock though.

I know I may be in the minority with this one, but I'd also prefer to have no demo day portion, just golf, golf, and more golf. :).

I'm strange I know. Lol

I know I may be in the minority with this one, but I'd also prefer to have no demo day portion, just golf, golf, and more golf. :).

I'm strange I know. Lol

lol I think the demo day should stay, but maybe a shortened version that allows for a round or so before the dinner (might be tough to do those with so many goodies to hit)

I think you guys should do whatever you can to keep it as cheap as possible. That way younger members (me, JR, Icemann, etc) would have a better chance of making it. That's my selfish reasoning anyways.

Oh, and Tour level courses sound awesome, so I say that if it doesn't make it more expensive.

lol I think the demo day should stay, but maybe a shortened version that allows for a round or so before the dinner (might be tough to do those with so many goodies to hit)

The first outing I went to had two "morning" demo days and an afternoon round. The last one was the first with the full day demo day. I do realize that I am weird.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
Stay and Play for sure

Major city is key. I think most people's breaking points are around the $1000 mark when travel is involved and what I call the WAF (wife acceptance factor)

Tour level courses! Courses we wouldn't play otherwise due to time and money constraints.

Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?
One night should be banquet. After all, it is about the camraderie right?

Other thoughts:
We have many golf outings in our work league of over 170 people and the main complaint is that people play golf and then just leave due to time contraints and other obligations. Getting to know new people in an environment where the interests are the same (golf) is key. Memories and friends are created in a manner that just cant be duplicated any where else. After all, the people is what keeps us coming back.

Outings like the nature valley amateur tournaments is what I think we all look for and that is why you have the Morgan cup! Of course we would all love to participate in a tournament like this where we get to feel what it's like to be "inside the ropes". I'll stop chatting away now.

Yes Belbs, you are strange. Demo Day should absolutely stay.

I believe I heard someone say this time, that golf could be played on Friday instead of attending Demo Day...not my priority, but I think it was allowed.

Stay & Play: More socializing amongst participants; safer (particulatly when alcohol is involved); less last minute suprises (accidents; sleeping in; etc).
Major City: Typically allows for cheaper flights; less flight connections for more people; allows people to easily have longer excursions.
Tour Level: I could go either way on this, but the tour level course is a draw.
Banquet: Fun, everyone together, etc.

I'm strange I know. Lol

Eh. I think if you take away demo day, you are taking away a LOT of what is so great about this site. I have never attended a demo day, so I don't know EXACTLY what it entails or the schedule, but I know it brings a LOT of people in from all corners of the world. I look at it this way, I am from the sticks, and opportunities like THP! demo day don't come around in these parts often. Would I be willing to fork over a few hundred dollars to spend the afternoon/s trying out the latest and greatest in equipment? You bet your butt I would. If my situation was better this year, I would be there with these guys this year. I think if THP! wants to continue to have the partnership with companies like they do (and we ALL appreciate), it is imperative they continue with demo day as it is. Companies rely on our feedback and I think if demo day was watered down, it would have a negative impact on all of us going forward. Just my .02.

Yes Belbs, you are strange. Demo Day should absolutely stay.

I believe I heard someone say this time, that golf could be played on Friday instead of attending Demo Day...not my priority, but I think it was allowed.

Nobody has to attend demo day, however if they do not, they will miss out on 3-4 big contests.

I love the idea of tour level resort courses, but the cost of staying overnight is very very difficult for some, so if there was anyway to work it out with the resort so that some could drive to the course and just pay a greens fee, that would be amazing.

Wishful thinking, probably.

I'm strange I know. Lol

You don't have to attend the Demo Day. You could always pay for an extra round. You might be able to negotiate wht the shop to get it at "replay" cost. Some THPers preference was to do that the day before The Outing began.

You don't have to attend the Demo Day. You could always pay for an extra round. You might be able to negotiate wht the shop to get it at "replay" cost. Some THPers preference was to do that the day before The Outing began.

its unlimited golf so Ive already paid for any rounds I do play that day.

And dont get me wrong, I dont want to get rid of demo day, just shorter, ive never been able to do something like it before, so I definitely want it to stay

but as JB basically said, people are free to do as they please when it comes to participating at the Demo Day

Stay and play. I think this is easiest and creates the best community feel. This, however, forces us into expensive resorts, unless...

I have no preference on this. As long the event is near a major hub/city flight costs will be reasonable. I absolutely do not mind driving in from one of those airports - it would be fun to arrange a group of people flying in the same day and rental-carpooling, not THP-JB-GG organizing, the participants, ya'll have enough to do.

A tour level course is not important to me - I'm attending to meet other THP members, check out loads of clubs for demo and get in some non-serious, semi-competitive, mostly-for-fun golf. I do not need to be humbled by a tour-level course. I'd be ok with smaller cities, especially if they have a university there, then we are assured of cultural exposure. This may not be a thing for many members, but IMHO, things get sketchy in some parts of the country when you say "rural" if it isn't a resort destination.

I think I would/will prefer the banquet dinner. It assures getting everyone in the same room, same event having a grand time. If that can be replicated at a local restaurant, sure, great, but then transportation logistics becomes a problem, and the event is enough work as it is. Keep it at the event site.

IMHO, things get sketchy in some parts of the country when you say "rural" if it isn't a resort destination.

Not arguing, just wondering what you mean by this?

Not arguing, just wondering what you mean by this?

I wont speak for D, but I believe what he is referring to are "conditions". Not just course, but everything. You know at a major venue, what you are getting. Once you get into different areas, if you dont live anywhere near there or have any familiarity, there are lots of questions.

Back