Future THP Outings & Demo Days

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When THP created the Ultimate Golf Weekend, it was an amazing weekend that showed us that we think annual events are very important to what this site means. Our original outing was held at two golf courses in which we had some great golf as well as a demo day and people stayed around the area in various hotels.

From there, we decided a Stay & Play format was better for our outing needs and it has been a blast. Having everybody in one spot made things such as meeting up for drinks, breakfast and everything in between very easy. We have continued that for the last 3 outings all done on tour level courses that provide a wonderful opportunity to keep everybody together throughout the entire weekend.

Last year THP introduced a 2nd event called the Morgan Cup. This is the Ultimate Amateur Golf Event.

Because of costs associated with both events, for many, it came down to one or the other. Or people passing on the outing in hopes of qualifying for the Morgan Cup. As we plan our 2013 (which we are already doing), we always want to get input from everybody involved. There will be some changes to both events for the coming year (we think for the better) and we have some big ideas going around.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?

If you have not been to a THP Outing, feel free to chime in as well. There is truly nothing quite like a THP event and there is a reason they fill up so fast. They are absolutely the most unique golf weekends you will ever come across. Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts.

Thanks for opening this up to everyone to discuss!

I like Stay and Play
Major city is best for helping keep costs in line
Tour Level courses are what makes the outings that much more special.
Banquet is the way to go....group settign at least one of the nights is nice

I like Stay and Play

exactly what he said ^^^^

I like Stay and Play

I am Ricky, and I approve this message... haha. I have never been to an outing but was planning on going to this one and all of the things listed above made it very attractive to me and affordable. I think the format is perfect and certainly hope to be able to make it to the 2013 outing.

My only suggestion is to keep the event away from any dates/weekends near May 22. It is selfish of me to ask because that is may anniversary so if the dates keep staying the same then I will not be able to come.

Stay and Play

The city part does not necessarily make a difference to me.

I prefer Tour Level courses for an event like this.

I love the idea of the banquet and getting everyone together for at least 1 evening.

I like the fact that the outing and Demo Day seemingly is about everyone being together, enjoying both the golf and the company of other THPers for a couple days. I'm definitely a Morgan Cup hopeful for next year, however I do need to get to an outing as well.

I do think that, with a bit of advance planning from people who want to be at the Outing, the stay and play route would be great, since I know that I probably wouldn't want to rent a car while at the event - just being there and not being able to worry about transportation. Would love it to remain in a major city because of this as well - easier transport from the airport to the event. In terms of courses: personally, as long as it isn't a goat track, I really wouldn't care...yes I'd love to play at a nice course. However, the outing is really about meeting other THPers and having lots of fun...whatever course it is, I'm sure THPers will have a blast.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
I know that I will prefer the stay/play. It is just simpler.
Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
I'd prefer that it be kept in a major city for ease of airline. Not to mention there are other attractions in a major city.
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
Tour level courses are what really draw everyone to the outing. I'd keep it that way.
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?
I like the idea of a banquet at least one night. Other than that, people can find food for themselves either at the resort or nearby.

My only suggestion is to keep the event away from any dates/weekends near May 22. It is selfish of me to ask because that is may anniversary so if the dates keep staying the same then I will not be able to come.

Bring her along on a vacation. There are alot of people that bring their significant others.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses? Stay N Play - like the all inclusive cost
Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports? fine either way
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there? Tour level courses, I can play "average" courses anytime
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food? Banquet dinner is nice with the raffle, it's only one night afterall

First off, I have never been to an Outing, so this is all based off what I have heard from THPers about previous outings.

Major city is not a must, as there is always an area that can be flown in to and the travel arrangements made from there.

Tour Level courses are nice, but rural areas that lead people to an area they otherwise would have never heard of sounds like a fun time as well. Also, in regards to getting to demo equipment, a smaller/rural course would more than likely be the course most THPers are used to playing at their home course, and would give them a better indication of how the equipment will work for them on a course similar to what they see day in and day out.

As far as dinner goes, I think the videos/pictures of the banquet looks amazing. The group enjoying the time among friends in one place is a must, in my opinion.

While the Outing/Demo Day is about golf, I feel that it is so much more than just that. Its about the THP Community being together, meeting the people we "talk" to each day, and forming great friendships that without THP would not have occurred.

If you told me the next Outing was in the middle of nowhere and a pain to travel to, I would sign up in heartbeat and go have a blast, and figure out a way to get there.

As someone that has high hopes of participating in both events in the near future, here are a few of my thoughts.

1 - I think stay and play is the best bet. In my mind, it would make it easier for the guys and gals to hook up after golf, have a few drinks together, carpool if they choose to take part in local events and establisments, etc, instead of everyone going their separate ways at the end of the day.

2 - I think big cities work out better, for one, they are easier to fly into. And, it could potentially keep costs down for people, by maybe taking a cab, instead of having to rent a vehicle by flying into a smaller airport and driving to the event.

3 - Tour level courses, of course. We all dream of teeing it up on courses that the pros play. It makes it fun knowing you are hitting a shot that Tiger, or someone else for that matter, has attempted before. I remember when I played Cog Hill, it was fun thinking about where my shots were, in comparison to the guys I had just watched a week earlier. Adds to the experience, if you ask me.

4 - Me personally, from a bonding and camaraderie stand point, I think the banquet is the best bet. And to maybe add to the whole experience, do like Augusta National does. Have the winner from the previous year, pick out a menu based on what THP! can put together. THP does the leg work, finding a list of menu items, and then the winners of past outings, get to select the banquet menu. Just a thought.

I definitely prefer stay and play.
At least near a major city for flights. I have no problem with driving a hour or so from the city if the golf if worthy.
Tour level courses would be my preference but honestly anywhere with THP'ers and green grass works for me.
I love the banquet dinner that THP hosts, such a great time every year.

I think stay and play is great for getting everybody in one spot, especially when you are talking 40-60 people. It's also nice because people don't have to drive back to their hotel after a night of THP partying. However, it costs quite a bit and that does make it tough to do both the outing and the MC (if lucky enough to be part of it).

I think the villas have been a real pain in the butt for you guys and I don't think you should do them again. I think a hotel configuration was the easiest. Unless you could find an offsite hotel right by a course(s), this is probably your best option. In a perfect world, we'd be able to all stay together, have somewhere to hang out, play a nice course, but pay a little less. Obviously, that's not likely.

I prefer an airport in the same general area. Doesn't have to be a major aiport, but much more than a short drive is tough. A rental car could add $200 onto a trip easily.

Doesn't matter to me. Doesn't have to be a tour stop to be a good course.

I like the banquet.

I like Stay and Play

Hanks speaks the truth for me. I like the bigger cities not just for great airline options, but it gives the family some options as well. If there is one famous 'go-to' restaurant that a bunch of people are interested in, why not just ask them to cater the banquet dinner?

I like Stay and Play

This sums my thoughts up fairly well.

Bring her along on a vacation. There are alot of people that bring their significant others.

I suggested that and her response was that she did not want to go on a golf vaca for our anniversary. I understand that she wants it to be us time not me go play golf time.

From a cost perspective I prefer the cheaper lodging and driving to courses, but from a social aspect, the stay and plays have worked out quite nicely as well. $200 a night to share a room even with golf included is on the high end of what I'm able to afford. I know that I am one of those folks who really would have a tough time affording two trips the way they are currently structured.

Since I mostly drive down, I'll let others weigh in on this from a cost perspective, but since most of the weekend is spent at the course/range, as long as there is somewhere on site or off for the group to socialize, big city versus small city has seemed insignificant from a fun perspective.

While the tour level courses have been fun, I'd be fine with any well-maintained place to play. Since our group's golf skills vary so widely, PGA National (specificly the Champion) almost seemed too penal for many in the group, and I heard more than a few folks talking about enjoying the other courses there as much if not more. I know for me, another factor is getting to go to different courses instead of having multiple outings at the same course. Even with wanting to see everyone, it was much harder to financially justify going back down to PGA National for a second time.

The Banquet would be my preference particularly as it relates to the logistics of 50-80 people eating together. Kind of a nice way for the evening to be all about the group versus worrying about other people in a restaurant.

Donne makes a good point. I prefered the Palmer course at PGA National to the Champion. It was just a little more conducive to an outing where you're up all night and golfing/demoing all day.

I like stay and play too. Also, close to a major airport would be great, since I'll always be coming from Los Angeles. I like a city where there might be other things to do, in case we tote the kids (although then only one of us would golf - but in theory I like this idea). And I like the banquet. I only wish a first official event was held first like a breakfast for an extra $10 to meet more people bf the demo day. I went to the banquet and I wished I had met all these people before the banquet so that I would have had more time to chat and spend with them. Does that make any sense? (I'm typing on my touch so forgive the errors).

This is my second year coming to an outing. I truly did enjoy the event and I am looking forward to attending the one next week. I think they are handled very well and a lot of great things happen in a very quick time. I thought the PGA national venue did a great job handling all of us and I expect Grand Cypress to be about the same. I do look forward to the villa atmosphere over the iBar. Even though we had some good times there. I wonder how it will be having the ability to cook rather than just eat at the restaurants at the venue. I know that we don't have to cook, but it is nice to have the option. To the questions.

I really like the stay and play option. I think it just makes since for the size and demo day. I wouldn't mind driving to a course, but I would think it would be just as expensive to rent a car for the event as doing a stay and play option.

The big city does make it nice. Especially the golfers that bring spouses and family. When looking at Grand Cypress and wishing my son was a bit older. I think I would have brought him and my wife down to enjoy Disneyland. I think if we are not going to do a stay and play type, going to a smaller airport and driving wouldn't matter. You would have to have a rental anyway.

I don't think a Tour Level course is necessary, but I would like a resort type or really nice conditions. I wouldn't mind going to a cooler climate than FL at this time of year.

I love the banquet dinner. I think it is a good time to come together and hang out. I think if we didn't have it, I would have missed out on meeting some of the attendants. It was very nicely done last year. I don't think it has to be that nice, but just a time we can get together and enjoy the successes of THP.

I think the outings are a blast and I think the MC 2.0 will be similar. I hate that I didn't get in. I don't think I would have not come to the outing if I would have. One issue I have is not the money aspect, but the time. I do plan on attending the MC 2.0 in July, because it is closer to my home. I think if it was in Orlando or some where that distance away. I would not be able to make it. I just can't get away from the family for those lengths of time more than once a year. If I could bring them along I could maybe do it. more.

I hope all this makes since, because I rambled a bit. HAHA

This will be a short reply... Typing on my phone...
I like the stay and play.
I agree the course doesn't have to be a tour level to be fun and challenging.
As I travel from the great white north, it pretty much has to be near a major city. Makes the cost of flights affordable.

THP banquet is awesome!

I have an idea, since you have an RV, maybe get an all inclusive deal with a resort where all food, alcohol and golf is included for a week. Have 2 mandatory rounds, and a demo day. The other 3-4 days could be open! Not sure how that would work, but it is an idea.

I'm torn on this one. I enjoyed the simplicity of simply walking out my hotel room and jumping on a cart to go play or have drinks with everyone. I've planned some pretty large conferences for college leadership organizations, usually if the planning is done right a single hotel can host an entire party. That option would open up the alternative route if transportation was readily available to and from courses. Stay and play on it's face is a little more expensive, but like the upcoming event it also come with unlimited golf. As long as the facility offers this option or something remotely close I'm all for stay and play.

Keeping it close to a major city is of course easier on those coming in from long distances. Florida is blessed with an abundance of airports so that shouldn't be an issue.

Does THP even know the meaning of average? Tour level is all well and good, but so many courses now are in great condition it wouldn't matter much. Now granted I doubt we'd like to go to Farmer Johns pitch, putt, and que...it's the company that makes the event, not the course.

Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food? That's tough, the banquet is a great chance to sit and break bread with everyone in their Saturday night best. I think the outing would loose a little bit if that went away. Prizes are nice but it's much more important to be able to sit at a table with your friends and BS. Plus could you imagine 80 of us walking into any restaurant, the Weider factor would be through the roof.

I think the stay and play is a good way to go.
Its not a big deal either way if its in a big or smaller city.
Tour level courses are the way to go, its a chance for a lot of us to play a great course we may not be able to play on our own.
I like the banquet atleast one night, and then letting everybody going out to eat the others if they want

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses? Stay and Play, it makes more of a community environment more conducive to creating some lasting memories
Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports? I like the major city format personally, more to do for those that decide to venture off the grounds
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there? I am in favor of tour level courses. This may be the one trip people take for the year and play top courses is a huge draw, IMO.
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food? As much as I looking forward to the THP sponsored dinner, I think going out as group to a local spot would be a blast. Not only does it take away the responsiblity of THP planning the entire meal it also gives back to the local economy.

THP does great deal to get these events off the ground and running smoothly. Any relief that can be provided by those attending I am game for. I'll support what ever decision is made but those are my thoughts. Thanks for asking you two.

Back