Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

The F3 wanted to go right today. Like extreme right. I hate that. Only off the tee too. Hit it a couple of times off the deck with no problems. Not sure what to think of the snappers off the tee though.

The F3 wanted to go right today. Like extreme right. I hate that. Only off the tee too. Hit it a couple of times off the deck with no problems. Not sure what to think of the snappers off the tee though.

Its the Black 3W causing that. Same thing happened to me when I was trying to hit both the Mashie and the RBZ 3W.

Its the Black 3W causing that. Same thing happened to me when I was trying to hit both the Mashie and the RBZ 3W.

Maybe. I was punishing the Black today though, and had no qualms with the F5.

Maybe. I was punishing the Black today though, and had no qualms with the F5.

The F5 is just money.

It really is. I'm a big fan.

It is consistently long and straight. Worst I have seen is a very minor fade that going up the middle still would have held most fairways.

It is consistently long and straight. Worst I have seen is a very minor fade that going up the middle still would have held most fairways.

Ain't nothing wrong with a minor fade.

I was having some weak fade issues with the longer clubs, but a little tempo adjustment has me hitting them pretty well again. I actually put a ball on the green from 230 yards yesterday with the F3+, which was a bonus. I three putted that good shot right down to bogey town though.

The one thing I'm really liking about the F3+ in particular is that I'm able to use it off the tee more than I've ever really used a 3 wood. I still hit a slight fatty here and there, but it's typically staying in the fairway or in a playable spot for me.

I was having some weak fade issues with the longer clubs, but a little tempo adjustment has me hitting them pretty well again. I actually put a ball on the green from 230 yards yesterday with the F3+, which was a bonus. I three putted that good shot right down to bogey town though.

The one thing I'm really liking about the F3+ in particular is that I'm able to use it off the tee more than I've ever really used a 3 wood. I still hit a slight fatty here and there, but it's typically staying in the fairway or in a playable spot for me.

What was the tempo adjustment for you? Were you just getting a little too quick?

Yea, too fast with pretty much everything, but it always has the worst results with the long clubs.

It's good to have a reliable 3w isn't it? Makes not pulling a driver easier to stomach sometimes.

It's good to have a reliable 3w isn't it? Makes not pulling a driver easier to stomach sometimes.

It is for sure. I've just never really played that way, but it's been beneficial so far.

Yea, too fast with pretty much everything, but it always has the worst results with the long clubs.

I know that feeling. I wonder if that is what is causing my F3 problem. I will have to try slowing down when I get to Florida tomorrow.

I know that feeling. I wonder if that is what is causing my F3 problem. I will have to try slowing down when I get to Florida tomorrow.

It's one of those things that hard for me to diagnose, but a playing partner mentioned it after I hit a good shot. Basically that my tempo was rotten up until that shot. From there I just slowed down a little and made sure I was getting a backswing in. I'm always in a hurry to get to the down swing.

Me either but I've found my accuracy is better and scores going down by using it more off the tee...less punch outs from wayward tee shots with the big banger

It is for sure. I've just never really played that way, but it's been beneficial so far.

I've been ok with driver staying in play, but there are a few holes where the risk just isn't worth it.

You dudes ever notice that golf course architecture typically makes the fairway the easiest to hit when you're hitting a little less club off the tee? Sure it makes for a longer approach shot, but it sure is nice hitting out of the short stuff. It's fun thinking your way around a golf course. I can play just as effectively leaving the big stick in the bag sometimes.

I played yesterday and didn't hit driver at all off the tee. Some days I just feel like playing golf that way.

You dudes ever notice that golf course architecture typically makes the fairway the easiest to hit when you're hitting a little less club off the tee? Sure it makes for a longer approach shot, but it sure is nice hitting out of the short stuff. It's fun thinking your way around a golf course. I can play just as effectively leaving the big stick in the bag sometimes.

I played yesterday and didn't hit driver at all off the tee. Some days I just feel like playing golf that way.

Not long ago I would have thought you were crazy to even say that, but it really does work. It's not only that I can get in trouble on tight holes, but there are holes at my course that give you a much better lie if you are a little farther back. I struggle with uneven lies.

I have noticed that. Unfortunately, I am not very accurate with my irons, so the closer I can get, the better.

Not long ago I would have thought you were crazy to even say that, but it really does work. It's not only that I can get in trouble on tight holes, but there are holes at my course that give you a much better lie if you are a little farther back. I struggle with uneven lies.

Well, there's more to course architecture than just making 18 holes. Hazards are always placed to suck up a slightly wayward drive. I always think of hole #8 at my soon to be home course. It's 340 yards, slight dogleg left. I love to hit driver b/c it just works with my shot shape. But almost every time, I'm in a freaking bunker. There's literally 10 yards of fairway to land the ball in. The last few times I've played it, I hit the F5. The fairway is huge where the ball lands and I usually have a PW in. What's wrong with that?

absolutely nothing!

pfft! It's not a driver! Ha! I played a 540 yard par 5 yesterday like this: Black 3wood off the tee, F5 for my 2nd, 56* wedge to about 4 feet. Never once did I sniff trouble.

this is in my plans for MC2 prep...hopefully in the near future.
not "leave driver in the bag" more like, "leave driver in the car or at home". tee off with the CG Black 3W all day to perfect its' glory.

That's a good plan right there Tnolan

this is in my plans for MC2 prep...hopefully in the near future.
not "leave driver in the bag" more like, "leave driver in the car or at home". tee off with the CG Black 3W all day to perfect its' glory.

Back