Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

It's one of those things that hard for me to diagnose, but a playing partner mentioned it after I hit a good shot. Basically that my tempo was rotten up until that shot. From there I just slowed down a little and made sure I was getting a backswing in. I'm always in a hurry to get to the down swing.

I have the same issue with my current 3W, when I make a slow pretty swing the ball goes straight and solid...when I go slow takeaway and quick swing, I hit behind the tee and end up hitting a 150 baloon out there somewhere

You dudes ever notice that golf course architecture typically makes the fairway the easiest to hit when you're hitting a little less club off the tee? Sure it makes for a longer approach shot, but it sure is nice hitting out of the short stuff. It's fun thinking your way around a golf course. I can play just as effectively leaving the big stick in the bag sometimes.

I played yesterday and didn't hit driver at all off the tee. Some days I just feel like playing golf that way.
I'm with you. It takes those fairway bunkers out of play that seem to be strategically placed. Bastards!

The TF3 has given me another option off the tee that I've never had and I feel like I can pull it out of the bag to maybe have a run at a par 5 in 2.

I was actually messing around with hitting a low running shot and a higher softer landing shot yesterday on the range. It's becoming quite versatile to me. I actually drew a couple, which is just sacrilege when it comes to my swing. This club feels and performs more like a hybrid for me. Easy to hit and very consistent from a variety of lies. I just love it.

I think the reason I found this site at all was because of this thread and a google search. Anyway, I have lurked around reading these posts for a while. The whole concept was interesting to me and the reviews on this thread so good that I began to seriously consider the top end of my bag. Well, my whole bag is being redone. I didn't play for years and finally got back into it last season, so I am buying clubs. But you all have me mashie curious in a big way. Was it JB who wrote these were a game changer for him? Anyway, I took my first step today and bought the 5 wood. If all goes as planned, this will essentially by my 3 iron type club. The way I hit it on the range today I think its going to work and you all are right. Very easy to stripe this thing 200ish for me. I just ordered the R11 irons 5-Gap, so my plan is a 15.5 mashie 3W and then a mashie hybrid 21* for a 4 iron. Thanks for all the advice. i think you all are right; easy club to hit. I love the looks too. When the first Big Berthas came out I had them... Driver and 5 wood. I loved that 5 wood. This reminds me so much of that in the looks dept. It hits great too. Another thing you all were right about is just letting the club do the work. A smooth swing just crushes the ball. I am going to give it a few more outings, but then the order goes out for the 3FW and the hybrid! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Well, there's more to course architecture than just making 18 holes. Hazards are always placed to suck up a slightly wayward drive. I always think of hole #8 at my soon to be home course. It's 340 yards, slight dogleg left. I love to hit driver b/c it just works with my shot shape. But almost every time, I'm in a freaking bunker. There's literally 10 yards of fairway to land the ball in. The last few times I've played it, I hit the F5. The fairway is huge where the ball lands and I usually have a PW in. What's wrong with that?

I usually tell my friends I don't have to work on my bunker shots much because they are placed where you are SUPPOSED to hit it! Maybe a Classic will cause this! :)

I think the reason I found this site at all was because of this thread and a google search. Anyway, I have lurked around reading these posts for a while. The whole concept was interesting to me and the reviews on this thread so good that I began to seriously consider the top end of my bag. Well, my whole bag is being redone. I didn't play for years and finally got back into it last season, so I am buying clubs. But you all have me mashie curious in a big way. Was it JB who wrote these were a game changer for him? Anyway, I took my first step today and bought the 5 wood. If all goes as planned, this will essentially by my 3 iron type club. The way I hit it on the range today I think its going to work and you all are right. Very easy to stripe this thing 200ish for me. I just ordered the R11 irons 5-Gap, so my plan is a 15.5 mashie 3W and then a mashie hybrid 21* for a 4 wood. Thanks for all the advice. i think you all are right; easy club to hit. I love the looks too. When the first Big Berthas came out I had them... Driver and 5 wood. I loved that 5 wood. This reminds me so much of that in the looks dept. It hits great too. Another thing you all were right about is just letting the club do the work. A smooth swing just crushes the ball. I am going to give it a few more outings, but then the order goes out for the 3FW and the hybrid! Thanks again.

Welcome jack. Yeah it was JB who said these woods are game changers and he's spot on. They're almost as easy to hit as a hybrid but with the distance of a wood. Just very good clubs. The 5W seems to be a fan favorite too.

Welcome jack. Yeah it was JB who said these woods are game changers and he's spot on. They're almost as easy to hit as a hybrid but with the distance of a wood. Just very good clubs. The 5W seems to be a fan favorite too.

Spot on Kmac. These have simplified things so much for me and the 7W is so versatile. 3W? I've been really good with the 3W lately. Off the tee and out of the grass it's done exactly what I've asked it to do. They follow my swing perfectly. No weird results with something flying off to the left or right unless I make a pretty bad stroke.

I think the reason I found this site at all was because of this thread and a google search. Anyway, I have lurked around reading these posts for a while. The whole concept was interesting to me and the reviews on this thread so good that I began to seriously consider the top end of my bag. Well, my whole bag is being redone. I didn't play for years and finally got back into it last season, so I am buying clubs. But you all have me mashie curious in a big way. Was it JB who wrote these were a game changer for him? Anyway, I took my first step today and bought the 5 wood. If all goes as planned, this will essentially by my 3 iron type club. The way I hit it on the range today I think its going to work and you all are right. Very easy to stripe this thing 200ish for me. I just ordered the R11 irons 5-Gap, so my plan is a 15.5 mashie 3W and then a mashie hybrid 21* for a 4 wood. Thanks for all the advice. i think you all are right; easy club to hit. I love the looks too. When the first Big Berthas came out I had them... Driver and 5 wood. I loved that 5 wood. This reminds me so much of that in the looks dept. It hits great too. Another thing you all were right about is just letting the club do the work. A smooth swing just crushes the ball. I am going to give it a few more outings, but then the order goes out for the 3FW and the hybrid! Thanks again.
Good analogy with the BB, I agree and completely forgot they had that finish.

Glad the advice worked, there sure is a lot of great posts in this thread. I have the TF3 and it's been a blessing for me. I've never had a 3 wood I was comfortable with and after a few short weeks, I am very comfortable with it.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback as you game it more. Congrats on the purchase!

Busy week. Didn't get a chance to hit the F5 in league as by the time we got to the shorter par 5s we had already clinched! So, I decided to use them for driver practice... I did have a couple of awesome shots with my 7W that have me doubting my F7 ponder. Kinda don't want to mess with it. The way I've been hitting my FWs recently, maybe I should get a 9W lol.

Hope to get a round in this weekend. F5 will almost definitely be in play.

Jeeez... these things are easy to hit. I still haven't gotten out on the course but I snuck off to the range this morning before work. The 5W is freaking awesome! I think its going to be a big help to the longer aspects of my game. 3W and 21* hybrid now on order. This site and thread has been a big help. Thx.

Nice Jack! I am with you, the 5wood is my favorite of the two that I have. I hit it a slew yesterday and it performed quite admirably. I probably hit the best punch shot of my entire life with it in fact. Par 4 11th hole. 455 yards and I pushed my drive left enough to bring the pine trees into play. I had 189 to the flag but had to keep the ball under 6' off the ground for about 30 yards to keep it under the trees. Put the ball back in the stance, pressed the hands forward and put the 3/4 swing on the ball. I didn't quite make it to the green but I was about 2 feet short and could roll the ball up for an easy par.

Anybody have any solid comparisons of this and the FL. I abosultely am loving my Fl. I can crush it. It is honelstly the easiest club for me to hit from the tee ever. 220 and straight everytime. Not that long but sooooo reliable. I just step up to it and grip it and rip it. I tend to fade i off the deck but I am working on fixing that. I haven't hit the mashie enough to get a good comparison. Yet. The only thing i did notice was i hit the Fl longer...

Nice Jack! I am with you, the 5wood is my favorite of the two that I have. I hit it a slew yesterday and it performed quite admirably. I probably hit the best punch shot of my entire life with it in fact. Par 4 11th hole. 455 yards and I pushed my drive left enough to bring the pine trees into play. I had 189 to the flag but had to keep the ball under 6' off the ground for about 30 yards to keep it under the trees. Put the ball back in the stance, pressed the hands forward and put the 3/4 swing on the ball. I didn't quite make it to the green but I was about 2 feet short and could roll the ball up for an easy par.

Great shot! And thanks for the method... I'll probably need that shot in the future!

Anybody have any solid comparisons of this and the FL. I abosultely am loving my Fl. I can crush it. It is honelstly the easiest club for me to hit from the tee ever. 220 and straight everytime. Not that long but sooooo reliable. I just step up to it and grip it and rip it. I tend to fade i off the deck but I am working on fixing that. I haven't hit the mashie enough to get a good comparison. Yet. The only thing i did notice was i hit the Fl longer...

I owned the FL, and now own the Black 3wood, as well as the F3 and the F5. They're very different 3woods to me. The Mashie F3 is much heavier in the head to me. I think it's far superior off the turf and when I first got the Black, I felt like the F3 was as long off the tee, but my assessment is changing now that I have more time under my belt with the Black. I believe that the Black/FL will offer a little more shot height and a little more carry distance. I believe that the Mashie's offers superior results off the turf and perhaps a tighter dispersion.

Great shot! And thanks for the method... I'll probably need that shot in the future!

hahaha, I'd rather not be under the pine trees to be honest but it's easy to keep the punch shot low with this club if you need to.

Mashie 7 is legit! I'm bottoming out with my swing right now but I pulled the 7W three times today on the new course, each time the result was excellent.

Had 169 to the flag on a longer par 4, since I'm struggling with my irons I choked down the F7 and swung a little easier. Beautiful high ball that faded right to the flag, hit and stopped. 15' left of the pin and dead on the distance. Couldn't be more pleased with a fairway wood.

--
Tapatalk2

Mashie 7 is legit! I'm bottoming out with my swing right now but I pulled the 7W three times today on the new course, each time the result was excellent.

Had 169 to the flag on a longer par 4, since I'm struggling with my irons I choked down the F7 and swung a little easier. Beautiful high ball that faded right to the flag, hit and stopped. 15' left of the pin and dead on the distance. Couldn't be more pleased with a fairway wood.

--
Tapatalk2

This was an amazing shot. I sat there in amazement when that was hit.

Just played 9 with my two little boys. Used the Mashie 5W twice. Both tough uphill lies. Choked down and swung easy. Crushed both of them. My nine year old (who is pretty good) saw my smile and said, "You love that club, don't you?" Ha! My six year old said I should drive with it. It is remarkably easy to hit. Nice to have.

great info, good read.

Didn't hit the Mashie's a ton today due to the format but one shot today was pretty cool. Second shot on a par 5. We had 248 to the flag which was tucked in the back-right portion of the green. I hit a laser that was flag hunting, only to see a massive puff of smoke. My ball just buried itself into the back edge of a bunker guarding that section of the green. So I probably hit it 240 off the deck. Great ball flight, great contact, and a great shot. I was a little bummed. Upon returning to the cart to put the headcover on, I realized I had accidentally pulled the F5 instead of the F3!!!! Doh!!! Either way, it was a great shot and one I would live with over and over. I am really enjoying what these clubs can do to a golf ball off the deck. It's unreal how clean and effortless contact is.

Didn't hit the Mashie's a ton today due to the format but one shot today was pretty cool. Second shot on a par 5. We had 248 to the flag which was tucked in the back-right portion of the green. I hit a laser that was flag hunting, only to see a massive puff of smoke. My ball just buried itself into the back edge of a bunker guarding that section of the green. So I probably hit it 240 off the deck. Great ball flight, great contact, and a great shot. I was a little bummed. Upon returning to the cart to put the headcover on, I realized I had accidentally pulled the F5 instead of the F3!!!! Doh!!! Either way, it was a great shot and one I would live with over and over. I am really enjoying what these clubs can do to a golf ball off the deck. It's unreal how clean and effortless contact is.

240 off the deck with the f5.. you are such an internet golfer!!!!

No seriously, great shot!!! Glad to hear you are getting such yardage out of these clubs!!!

240 off the deck with the f5.. you are such an internet golfer!!!!

No seriously, great shot!!! Glad to hear you are getting such yardage out of these clubs!!!

Well, if I were a true internet golfer I would've cleared the bunker :beat-up:

I do enjoy these clubs. I'm still a little baffled by where I want to tee them up, ie, the tee height.

Well, if I were a true internet golfer I would've cleared the bunker :beat-up:

I do enjoy these clubs. I'm still a little baffled by where I want to tee them up, ie, the tee height.

skim alert....TC, are you teeing them higher than you normally would? lower?

skim alert....TC, are you teeing them higher than you normally would? lower?

Well Doug, I'm not sure. I'm still experimenting. I don't think they like being tee'd up high though.

Well Doug, I'm not sure. I'm still experimenting. I don't think they like being tee'd up high though.

Gotcha. I think one my 3w issues is I tee too high as well. Lovin' your MC bag setup...that is a whole bunch of FW's!

The last sentence says it all.

--
Tapatalk2

Had a rough day with the driver today. My F5 was the savior of my round. Had some great shots off of the deck and some even better shots off of the tee on some par fours. My local course has a bunch of tight par fours with trouble in just the right place or doglegs to prevent you from using driver. Had excellent results on those holes and was always in position. Still very much enjoying my RBZ but I could see how people are loving the F3 off the tee. F7 ponder is still in full effect.

Back