TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

I have a question for anybody that is playing the R11S and played both the R9 and SuperTri. Has anybody here compared the drivers and gotten better results than those? Meaning if you are a high spin player playing R9 and low spin playing SuperTri? Really curious here.
I played the R9 briefly last year,along with half dozen others, it felt like it gave me too much side spin, the supertri I played most of the year last year, I found it to be accurate but shorter than the R9(more back spin on the supertri), demoed the R11 a bunch of times at the store and could never hit it, the R11s it seems gives me little back spin and little side spin, at stock 9* head and Regular flex Phenom this driver is the most accurate and longest driver for me.

i still have my r11s as well as a ping k15, i kicked the r11s out of the bag for a bit as it was wild for me for a bit and played the ping. Now i have put the r11s back in the bag and i still get a little left to right ball flight , but i just aim a bit left and i always find the fairway as long as i dont smash it. I am getting more run our with the r11s than the ping and in some drives i am 10-20 yards longer. The ping gives the straighter flight of the 2 and i will keep both and swop over when one misbehaves.

Just wanted to give this a little update, the R11s has been treating me amazing still. I decided to do a little experiment, I play the Fubuki Alpha 60g Stiff in the R11s but just received my Miyazaki Kusala Black 61g Regular flex for it. The flex code on the Black Regular flex is pretty darn close to being a stiff except in the butt section of the shaft so I figured I would give it a shot to see if a slightly softer shaft will allow me to squeeze some more distance out of it. I went with the Black because it is a low launch/low spin shaft and I figured I would be launching the Reg flex higher than a stiff. Should be a fun experiment to say the least. Here are a few pics of this beautiful combo.
R11sKusalaBlackDownTheShaftView.jpg

R11sKusalaBlack61.jpg

R11sKusalaBlack.jpg

R11sKusalaBlackUpClose.jpg

R11sKusalaBlack61R-1.jpg

Very rare I say this but today my best club was by far and away my R11S driver. Usually I'll get hot/cold with my driver through the round but not today. Hit 8 out of 11 fairways with my driver and of the ones that missed none were OB or in the trees. Was using my rangefinder to see how far I was hitting it and had 5 over 280 yards, my furthest was 303. I'm really starting to get my swing down with my driver and this club has been a great performer for me when I put a good swing on the ball.

10YD- Love the Miyazaki shaft in the club, it looks great. I'm thinking about putting in a Miyazaki Blue this winter.

Very rare I say this but today my best club was by far and away my R11S driver. Usually I'll get hot/cold with my driver through the round but not today. Hit 8 out of 11 fairways with my driver and of the ones that missed none were OB or in the trees. Was using my rangefinder to see how far I was hitting it and had 5 over 280 yards, my furthest was 303. I'm really starting to get my swing down with my driver and this club has been a great performer for me when I put a good swing on the ball.

10YD- Love the Miyazaki shaft in the club, it looks great. I'm thinking about putting in a Miyazaki Blue this winter.

I was going back and forth between the black and blue, if this doesnt work out I plan on selling it and getting a Blue in Stiff to test out with it.

I was going back and forth between the black and blue, if this doesnt work out I plan on selling it and getting a Blue in Stiff to test out with it.

If you do that I'd be real interested to hear what you have to say. I'd be putting in a Blue in Stiff also and would love to hear some feedback how the combo works.

I played my first round with the R11s Miyazaki Kusala Black 61R combo today, also had the Razr FIT TA in the bag so I was switching between the two every hole or 2. The results were very very interesting for me with the Kusala Black 61 reg flex. I normally play stiff flex but because of the flex code on the Black and it being a low launch/low spin shaft I went with the regular flex as the IFC is 2455 so the butt section is the only thing that is really not close to being stiff(5 is stiff). I hit this very well this morning, it was very windy so distance was hard to judge but going down to the "regular" flex I was hitting the ball as high or slightly higher than with my Fubuki Alpha 60 stiff I normally play in the R11s. I thought this might happen so I just adjusted my driver and took the loft down to 9.75* instead of 10.5*. As far as the shaft goes it feels freaking fantastic, it is very very smooth and I can feel it load and unload into the ball, it is a awesome feeling. I really can not wait to get some more time in with this shaft. I think once I get the settings all figured out with this new shaft I will probably be longer than I am with the Fubuki Alpha. More to come once I get some more play in with it.

Ok, so I snapped my Project X awhile back. I asked TMAG to send me a new 7M3. Things have changed. I am hitting lasers that go forever. The PJX was a good shaft, this is a different beast. I freaking love this driver shaft combo. I have mine set on stnd loft and O position. I was initially worried that this would launch too low for me as a past fitting had me in the PJX. I through caution to the wind and at this time, I could not be more content. My misses are still so playable as they lose very little because this thing is low/low. I am getting around 2100-2300 spin and 10ish luanch (vector sims at GT based on 10 shots). What a combo and I feel these characteristics are reserved for much better players. I like this driver so much, I may order another head. I am still giddy thinking about how many shots I was like "wow, did I just hit that" occured over the past week. I will be taking the LD money between my friends. #driverlove

I tried an R11s today and couldn't stand the bigger head. I set it up just like my R11 and it launched way too high and felt like it produced a lot of spin which caused a fade. I'll stick with my R11 until TaylorMade puts a speed slot in the Rocketballz driver. Can't justify trading in such a good driver plus cash for a club that doesn't obliterate the previous model.

I tried an R11s today and couldn't stand the bigger head. I set it up just like my R11 and it launched way too high and felt like it produced a lot of spin which caused a fade. I'll stick with my R11 until TaylorMade puts a speed slot in the Rocketballz driver. Can't justify trading in such a good driver plus cash for a club that doesn't obliterate the previous model.

Have you considered looking into a custom fitting with the R11s, perhaps the proper shaft and loft combo for you could get you the obliterating results you want

Well today was not a good day for the Miyazaki Black 61 R in the R11s head, I lowered the loft down to 9.25* since I thought I was hitting it to high in the 10.5* neutral setting and I bet I lost 15-20 yards today with this combo. I just set it back to 10.5* and I am going to give it some more time but I don't think the regular flex is going to work out, guess I just got greedy trying to squeeze out some more distance, should of stuck with the Stiff. Not giving up yet on it but a couple more rounds then I will know for sure, if this doesn't end up working I think I am going to try to trade it for a Miyazaki Blue stiff to try out in it.

edit: I am actually going to go hit the range and mess around with it to see if I can get it working if not then bye bye lol. Experiment failed so far.

10Y, Buy JRod's 7m3 in XX. Low Lasers down the FW! Thats too bad the black is not working for ya at this time. Too much tinkering? I would hae thought that alpha would have been the last shaft you tried in that bad boy. I feel that a 70g shaft in these clubs is perfect for me. If you happen to pick up an attas elements and do not like it, i know someone who would love to give it a whirl... Good luck with the white cannon

Mark the Fubuki Alpha is going back in the R11s for sure. The Black just is not going to work.

Have you considered looking into a custom fitting with the R11s, perhaps the proper shaft and loft combo for you could get you the obliterating results you want

I hit an R11s with the same shaft and loft combo as my R11. Then I tried different shafts and lofts and that just produced higher launching fades. I wish they had a monitor at the facility to give me the spin rate. The only R11s driver that produced the same flight as my R11 was the Tour Preferred version with an Aldila RIP Phenom 65 TP shaft. It may have carried a few yards further but not near enough to warrant a trade. I liked the performance of the RBZ better than the R11s as far as shot shape/flight and distance, but I'm going to wait for TM to integrate player feedback into the next version which is a luxury that my trusty R11 will afford me.

The R11s is a great looking driver and I wish you the best of luck with yours.

Last edited:
I haven't been having the best of luck with mine. I can get some good distance if I hit it perfect, but it just doesn't seem to be very forgiving for me.

I haven't been having the best of luck with mine. I can get some good distance if I hit it perfect, but it just doesn't seem to be very forgiving for me.

Yeah, for as big as the clubhead is I expected a lot more from it. I'll bet the next version will be great though.

Last edited:
And I don't think I'll ever get used to the sound. How can the Burner line sound so good and the R11 line sound so bad?

Sound is a variable TM will surely improve upon. The R11s sounds louder (because of the larger head) than the R11 to my ears. I like the sound of TM's RBZ driver.

Last edited:
R11s review a couple months in

R11s review a couple months in

Had it for a couple months now. Pretty darn straight driver. S Phenom feels like a stiff+. Then again that would help make it straight. The open/closed settings: I've tried it from one end to the other and swear it doesn't make much difference. The only difference to me is it feels funny/weak at the two extremes(double closed or double open). I settled at Neutral. Seems to get more shaft kick that way or maybe it's my imagination. I've increased loft one setting and that seems a bit strange for me because I normally hit the ball high. I hit high fades with it or medium-height draws(setting up to hit a fade or draw).
Have not messed with the weights because, well I don't have weights :)
Still getting used to it. But one word for it is ...straight. I think it's a keeper for me.
Any longer? Ah, that's not why I got it. Maybe. I think I hit fades further but draws don't seem to gain much/anything over the fades.

R11s face marks

R11s face marks

This may be a stupid question and sorry if there is another feed on this, but is there a way of restoring the blackness after the tiny ball marks on the face add up? Or will I be flogging a dead horse?

This may be a stupid question and sorry if there is another feed on this, but is there a way of restoring the blackness after the tiny ball marks on the face add up? Or will I be flogging a dead horse?

Buy a new driver? Other than that you're out of luck.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I have to say I've never been more confident with a driver in my life than I am right now with the R11S. On my home course, I'm hitting it on 12 out of 14 holes. Today hit I hit 10 of 12 fairways and the 2 I missed were only a few yards into the rough. Not only have I been extremely accurate but I'm hitting it a long way on every swing. I'm still using the stock shaft and plan on swapping shafts this winter but for a stock shaft this fits me pretty well. Overall, I'm very happy with this driver and glad I upgraded from the R11. Much more forgiving and longer. I haven't said this about a driver in forever but this one may be staying in the bag for a while.

I've hit my R11 driver a ton on the range and course and there isn't a mark on its face, and my swing speed is well over 100. A soapy toothbrush cleans away the dimple patterns. The only TaylorMade clubs I've put deep face marks on are the Rescue 11 and RBZ hybrids. Maybe the black paint and face material are softer on those clubs for greater feel. I half expected to cave them in.

I have to say I've never been more confident with a driver in my life than I am right now with the R11S. On my home course, I'm hitting it on 12 out of 14 holes. Today hit I hit 10 of 12 fairways and the 2 I missed were only a few yards into the rough. Not only have I been extremely accurate but I'm hitting it a long way on every swing. I'm still using the stock shaft and plan on swapping shafts this winter but for a stock shaft this fits me pretty well. Overall, I'm very happy with this driver and glad I upgraded from the R11. Much more forgiving and longer. I haven't said this about a driver in forever but this one may be staying in the bag for a while.
Just curious. If your hitting 10 of 12 fairways and hitting longer why change the shaft?

Back