Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Course we played today was a bit shorter than I'm used to, so I only got to hit the F7 once. Had about 190 in. Pushed it just a bit but was a penetrating shot that was just off the green about pin high. I know I'll get to use it more later, it just didn't fit in the distances for me today. Did play the F5 off the tee a few times. Absolutely crushed. I'm slowly becoming a Mashie homer with these, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Course we played today was a bit shorter than I'm used to, so I only got to hit the F7 once. Had about 190 in. Pushed it just a bit but was a penetrating shot that was just off the green about pin high. I know I'll get to use it more later, it just didn't fit in the distances for me today. Did play the F5 off the tee a few times. Absolutely crushed. I'm slowly becoming a Mashie homer with these, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Very hard to argue with results. I think these might be the fairway of the year. I keep being surprised over and over again.

--
Tapatalk2

Very hard to argue with results. I think these might be the fairway of the year. I keep being surprised over and over again.

Indeed it is. I'm almost at ponder level with the F3, just for consistency's sake. I've been super pleased with the F5. Anyone experience anything that would suggest that I would have issues with the F3, even though I'm killing the F5?

So, I've got a TF3 coming my way now. Unexpected but I'm pumped.

So I've been thinking about replacing my RBZ with a Mashie F3 a lot lately. I admittedly like to tinker, just look at at my posts in the pondering and what did you buy threads. :D The main reason I'm thinking about it is that I've really got into a great groove with the F5 and I'm liking the F7 so far as well. I'm thinking that having consistency between my FWs could help that part of my game. Kind of the keep it simple stupid theory.

Question I have is in regards to the 14˚ vs. 15.5˚ models. For those of you that have hit both, how much of a distance difference did you see? Is it considerable? Also, is the ball flight noticeably different? Is the 14˚ less forgiving?

Any thoughts you guys could share would be appreciated.

So, I've got a TF3 coming my way now. Unexpected but I'm pumped.

I wish I could get one sent to me unexpectedly lol

So I've been thinking about replacing my RBZ with a Mashie F3 a lot lately. I admittedly like to tinker, just look at at my posts in the pondering and what did you buy threads. :D The main reason I'm thinking about it is that I've really got into a great groove with the F5 and I'm liking the F7 so far as well. I'm thinking that having consistency between my FWs could help that part of my game. Kind of the keep it simple stupid theory.

Question I have is in regards to the 14˚ vs. 15.5˚ models. For those of you that have hit both, how much of a distance difference did you see? Is it considerable? Also, is the ball flight noticeably different? Is the 14˚ less forgiving?

Any thoughts you guys could share would be appreciated.

I do think having something in similar weight and shafts will make things easier at the top of your bag.

I see a lower ball flight with the 14° and it is defnitely longer for me if the course allows for roll out. It's not much different on courses that need mowed or ones that are really soft.

I think they are pretty close in terms of how easy they are to use. I had some struggles for a couple weeks, but that wasn't just a F3+ thing. I couldn't hit any fairway woods.

Thanks Hawk. I'm thinking having the C Kua in everything will be helpful. Time for some head to head testing methinks. Just need to be sure. I love the distance I get out of the RBZ, but like most I'd sacrifice a little distance for a little more accuracy.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I wish I could get one sent to me unexpectedly lol

Haha, oh I paid for this one, it was just an unexpected deal. Should get it tomorrow I hope so I can reshaft it and get it out for some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, oh I paid for this one, it was just an unexpected deal. Should get it tomorrow I hope so I can reshaft it and get it out for some fun.

was worth a shot...Im still lurking for a 3W, so close to making it this one, might have to pull the trigger real soon

was worth a shot...Im still lurking for a 3W, so close to making it this one, might have to pull the trigger real soon

I won't lie, I'm a bit concerned about going 14. I hit the F3 well at the range in Austin but the lower the loft the more concerned I get.

My thought was I want it predominantly off the tee but the glide rails should make it easier to get off the turf when I have to. It'll be an interesting one or sure I figure.

I won't lie, I'm a bit concerned about going 14. I hit the F3 well at the range in Austin but the lower the loft the more concerned I get.

My thought was I want it predominantly off the tee but the glide rails should make it easier to get off the turf when I have to. It'll be an interesting one or sure I figure.

yeah i plan on using it primarily for off the tee shots too, but the ability to use it off the deck with success will be such a welcome bonus. My burner is tough off the deck, such a slow % shot, so anything that hels give me better odds of success on those par 5's and long par 4's, im all for

I have loved the FW all the times that I have hit and was going to add the 5w until I got the heavy wood. They are just so solid.

I had great results with my Mashie initially at the range and blasting them into the field behind my house, but I can't get it going on the course. I have been relying on my old Launcher DST 5 wood and doing great, I need to find another DST 3 wood.

I had great results with my Mashie initially at the range and blasting them into the field behind my house, but I can't get it going on the course. I have been relying on my old Launcher DST 5 wood and doing great, I need to find another DST 3 wood.

does that mean you have a 3W for sale???

does that mean you have a 3W for sale???

No, but pm me your address and I'll send it your way. I'm not using it and not too worried about selling, maybe this could start a pay-it-forward trend. With a different shaft I'm sure I'd like it more, but it deserves a good home and that sadly isn't with me. If by chance you don't like it, send it to someone else.

No, but pm me your address and I'll send it your way. I'm not using it and not too worried about selling, maybe this could start a pay-it-forward trend. With a different shaft I'm sure I'd like it more, but it deserves a good home and that sadly isn't with me. If by chance you don't like it, send it to someone else.

works for me, I sent you a pm and at least let me take care of shipping...I have a Burner 3H and cobra 4H at home if u wnted to try one or both of them in exchange.

but worse case I'll definitely pass it along if its not a successful match

I think the highlight of my short round today was my success with these fairway woods. I've talked a bit about some struggles I had and a recent lesson and some practice really paid off big tonight. These are important clubs to me, so hitting them well is a big relief. I normally don't do this, but I'll just outline the shots I took.

Hole 11 - Par 5 - This was my second shot from some deep rough on the left. I grabbed the 7W in the hopes that it would have enough loft to get me out, yet enough distance to get me in the 100 yard range. Almost pulled hybrid, but I wanted to hit this. Shot came out well and left me 115 to a back pin, right in the middle of the fairway.

Hole 16 - Par 4 - I hit a tree on the right off the tee with driver and the ball dropped straight down, leaving me 200 yards to a front flag with a rotten lie. I mainly went with the F3 because 1) the tree forced me to keep the ball lower and 2) I had been hitting the ball pretty short over the last few weeks. Shot came out just as hoped, but went over the back of the green around 230-240 yards. Didn't really expect that result, but I didn't complain. It rolled right through the green, so accuracy was quite good from that distance and lie.

Hole 17 - Par 4 - Hit the F3 off the tee and was left with a manageable distance (115 I think) into the green. Caught a bad bounce, which put me right on the edge of the rough.

All three were hit well and went straight, which was a great thing to see. The big key for me is staying centered over the ball and not sliding. Lots more distance and better accuracy.

Excellent read Hawk. Sounds you've gotten a good grasp of each of these and what you expect from them.

Off the tee are pushing the down flush or not using one? I thought you said this at one point but my memory sucks.

--
Tapatalk2

The lower the better for me. Otherwise I seem to want to scoop and the ball goes too high/short. Just like an iron.

Hit my Mashie 3+ twice off the tee today (only two times they were needed). Both times, my playing partners said, "What did you hit there?". My Mashie three wood. Which was always followed by something to the effect of "Jesus............" or "Holy s***". The big sticks are slowly coming back around and this thing is an absolute blast to hit when I am on.

Same here, Jeff. When I am swinging anything near good, the 14° is a great club for me. It just seem to roll and roll and roll for me.

Same here, Jeff. When I am swinging anything near good, the 14° is a great club for me. It just seem to roll and roll and roll for me.

It's a beast, that is for sure. I bought it primarily as a second (sometimes its my first) option off the tee and it has been a fantastic purchase based on that alone. I have had mixed results from the fairway and the rough, but it's not a club I have to go to much in those instances. My first tee shot with it today was 280 and in the dead center of the fairway. My second was slightly left of the fairway, but about 25 yards further than my previous tee shot with it (I caught a really nice downhill bounce). If I am hitting this well, there are days I would rather hit this off the tee, than my driver.

Jeebus, dude.

Honestly, aside from off the tee, these are clubs I don't want to hit that often. However, when I need them I appreciate that I can pull them with confidence.

Back