Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

For some reason with this and other balls I have been fading, then drawing, the fading back to straight with my Pw. It scares me.

If I don't have a very fast swing (normal to slow) will i be ok with the blacks? Or do you need that faster swing speed.

If I don't have a very fast swing (normal to slow) will i be ok with the blacks? Or do you need that faster swing speed.

According to Callaway people swing speed is only an issue if a fast swing speed over compresses a soft ball but according to Bridgestone a slower swing benefits from a softer ball. I tend to believe the Callaway people.

If you have a fairly straight ball flight I would think you're okay. If you hook or slice a lot the high spin urethane ball will hurt you I'd think.

If you have a fairly straight ball flight I would think you're okay. If you hook or slice a lot the high spin urethane ball will hurt you I'd think.
The HEX Black is low spin off the tee, the chrome is the higher spin of the two balls especially off the tee. Now some of the really high spin balls like the Chrome, Zstar, etc can hurt you off the tee if you have a hook or slice since that added spin equals more side spin off the tee but there are plenty of low spin off the tee premium urethane balls.

I've been using the same Hex Black ball for almost 2 rounds now, and thought somebody might be curious to see pics (hopefully they show up, I haven't inserted pics before). I used this ball for 32 holes, and I've been playing pretty well (72-78) those holes so there were at least 2 good full shots struck on each hole. I never thought it'd be this hard to get a decent shot of a golf ball, but I guess having an old point and shoot doesn't help.

Notes: The marks below and to the right of the chevron are very visible but nearly imperceptible to the touch.
View attachment 5371
The marks about 3 dimples above the 5 are very noticeable as well, but only the left side of the worst scuffed dimple is easy to feel. The small flap 4 dimples due left of the C goes right through the urethane layer (I could rip it off if I so desired), but barely sticks up.
View attachment 5372

View attachment 5373

I'll continue using this ball and give updates.

I've gotta say that this doesn't make a very strong case for durability.

Now I know that I've said that I'm not a huge fan of the Hex Blacks but I feel like I'm such an anti Callaway curmudgeon on this forum that I decided to do further testing beyond the sleeve that I bought a few months back. And with the 273 hour sale going on I figured now is as good a time as any.

I think that you Hex Black lovers will be happy to know that I actually stood in line at the Military Exchange for over 40 minutes just to get them to price match the $27.30 and didn't just walk away like I wanted to. Military Exchanges don't usually participate in sales like this one but I got then to comply after much bitching!

So here y'all go...I'ma give it a run.
aeffa27f-4710-ece9.jpg

Agreed....at the end of the day if you're not swinging well any ball is going to suck

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Agreed....at the end of the day if you're not swinging well any ball is going to suck

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

So true. I have found my push fades don't fade as much with the blacks as they do with others

formerly butters35

Through the entire Morgan Cup weekend I went through 5 balls, and I would say the ones that I took out of play to put in the "practice pocket" of my bag weren't even that dinged up at all, just a very small scuff here or there. So for 4 rounds of golf (1 Thursday, 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday) and some greenside practice I would say they held up pretty well for me. I think I may have only lost 1 ball all weekend if I remember correctly. I find it interesting that some people, like myself, find the Blacks so durable, yet some get them and think they are not durable at all. I have yet to play any other ball that holds up as well as these for me, normally I would have to swap out a ball midway through a round.

After seeing me play this ball all weekend my dad told me to go out and get him some right away since he knew they were on sale, I picked up 2 dozen for him yesterday and we are going out to play this evening. He is a big fan of the Bridgestone B330RX, so I'm interested to hear what he thinks.

I love the Blacks, but find their durability just "above average" and not super. But I haven't found any premium ball that does any better.

Another way to categorize it is that the Blacks seem to get cosmetic damage relatively easy, but true scuffs are unusual for me.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Callaway has done themselves a huge favor with this promotion. Yesterday myself, bahester, Oregon Golfer and tequilla4app got together to play a round and all 4 of us were gaming the Hex Black. I really love this ball (that seemed to be the consensus among everyone). As many of you know I won a years supply of these,but that didn't stop me from picking up three more boxes yesterday. Just a fantastic ball!

Lol Doc Teeth has a 3 years supply of balls! I am shocked when I hear people say they are having durability issues with this ball. I have seen none of that. What I will see is the hexes getting the marks on them that have been posted. I don't think that effects anything and so I keep playing them. I don't see scuffs or anything like that from wedges. Just a darn good ball. Wish I had the cash to buy a bunch of boxes of these

Looks like the sale is off. Hope everyone stocked up on them.

Never played the ball but I got four dozen of them now. Hope I like them and will post my thoughts when I play this week. Have a big tournament this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was really brilliant of Callaway to do this promotion. Think about how many people who never used the ball bought multiple boxes. The senior Open isn't the same but it is worth noting that Bridgestone didn't do something similar for Couple's win. Missed opportunity.

This was a great promotion, and as someone who was already playing this ball it was great to hoard a few dozen so that I have them for months to come before I have to buy them again at full price.

This was a great promotion, and as someone who was already playing this ball it was great to hoard a few dozen so that I have them for months to come before I have to buy them again at full price.

My strategy as well man

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Also looks like this deal is still alive and well at golf town in Canada for those that would still like to stock up.

Translated from Canadian to 'Merican by Siri.

It is still going on golfsmiths site as well. I think it end tonight.

Bought 3 more boxes before the deadline passed. My first three boxes should be here tomorrow while the last 3 are on back order. Love the play with these balls. Head to head with my penta: a little less side spin on the hex, hold greens great and the feel from my metal x putter is nice too.

Im glad to see I am not the only person that loves the hex black. Ive played the e6 for the last 2 weeks to try them out but have switched back. The e6 was a good ball but not even close to the hex black. I missed the spin and launch of my beloved hex black. To bad the sale is over for everyone, glad im a callaway v.i.p. member so I get them for $20 a dozen. Hope everyone stocked up.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

Played the Hex blacks for the first time today 9 holes. Held up pretty good. The chromes I think checks up more for my shot. I did play 2 balls on the last hole, the black and the chrome. It was a par 3 110yds and used a PW. First shot hit the green just past the pin and rolled off to the fringe with the black. Second shot I hit the green again past the pin but 1 bounce and it stopped 5 ft from the pin. I'll play the rest out on these dozen blacks I have and see how it goes. I wonder how long they will last me though. They seem pretty durable to me. The chromes also are durable too. Going try out some Bridgestones B330RX's while i'm at it too.

Turned a buddy onto these balls this weekend. He plays the ZStar and was getting a little too much driver spin. Between the no tee spin to the strong stopping power on the green, lets just say he is sold.

I was spinning the heck out of the ball approaching greens all day long and used the same ball for holes 1-16. By the then it had finally succumbed to a big cart path bounce. It was very minor compared to any other premium ball but I figured it had given me a good run and I could close with a fresh ball. My partner and I both were shocked when I played a knock down 56° from about 40 yards and it not only bit, but hopped once and stopped in its mark. Even with that much spin it had just a tiny little rub mark. HEX Black FTW!

I did play 2 balls on the last hole, the black and the chrome. It was a par 3 110yds and used a PW. First shot hit the green just past the pin and rolled off to the fringe with the black. Second shot I hit the green again past the pin but 1 bounce and it stopped 5 ft from the pin.

Interesting idea to play the two of them side by side like that. I'll have to give that a try.

Back