WINE enthusiasts?

I'm an idiot about wine but my wife and I are going to a wine tasting and dinner the week after ohio. The menu and wine selection look amazing.

This last weekend we had two new bottles:

2009 romain papilloud: This was very tasty. We paired it with ardrahan cheese and pears. The wine was very dark; strong aroma and strong blackberry taste. I was pretty happy with this.

2006 castro y mogan, tendal: Unfortunately, this bottle was skunked. When the cork was placed on the table, it looked broken down a bit. And, on the tasting smell/sip, you could tell that it was not handled well over the years. This was meant to be paired with seared chicken.

I'm an idiot about wine but my wife and I are going to a wine tasting and dinner the week after ohio. The menu and wine selection look amazing.

As am I, I really know nothing about wine, but my wife and I always seem to go to these tasting type events and dinners, it always shows my how much I'm missing out on.

As am I, I really know nothing about wine, but my wife and I always seem to go to these tasting type events and dinners, it always shows my how much I'm missing out on.

I like wine but I can barely afford my golf scotch and cigars so I really don't need any new hobbies.

I like wine but I can barely afford my golf scotch and cigars so I really don't need any new hobbies.

I hear that! I've seen a few people's wine cellars who are really into wine, wow, and I thought golf was an expensive hobby!

I hear that! I've seen a few people's wine cellars who are really into wine, wow, and I thought golf was an expensive hobby!

Yah my dad had wine cellars in both of our houses as a kid. Lot of space.

So far I'm liking the cab franc the best, followed by the Syrah. The Zin was picked too late and had too much sugar. It really comes down to the quality of grape that year...climate, growing conditions, and whether the vineyard picks it at the right time. Many times the vineyards aren't selling their best stuff to the amateur like myself. Typically they're trying to get rid of something...so often us home winemakers don't end up with the same quality stuff. If your sugars and acids are out of whack, you have to play games getting them back in line and that's where you start running into problems. Overall it's a lot of fun. Start with a juice kit. If you can bake cookies, you can make wine from a kit.

Nice. yeah; I was wondering about the batches that vineyards may sale to amateurs. Think of it this way though... you are able to make good wine with the vineyard's mediocre grapes. That is an art form! Keep this thread up on your makings... totally interested in this stuff!

I always *hint* to my clients that I like wine, scotch and golf. I love the gentlman's bribe!

I need to bounce up a few notches and start hinting at ski vacations... haha.

Golf has nothing on a good wine cellar. Try enjoying both hobbies at the same time. I think sometimes I am keeping the California economy afloat.

I always *hint* to my clients that I like wine, scotch and golf. I love the gentlman's bribe!

I need to bounce up a few notches and start hinting at ski vacations... haha.

See for me it's the opposite, I need to listen to my clients hints and give them what they want. How do you get your clients to do you favors?

See for me it's the opposite, I need to listen to my clients hints and give them what they want. How do you get your clients to do you favors?

Yeah; it cuts both ways for me. Before they are clients (or if I want more work from existing clients) I'm doing the wine/dining. After we have done our work, they return the favors (often ten-fold if we have done well).

Yeah, wine can get a little out of control. What tricks do you guys use to keep the costs down? One thing we do is buy cheaper wine for immediate drinking. A couple of good options are Trader Joe's and Grocery Outlet.

Yeah; it cuts both ways for me. Before they are clients (or if I want more work from existing clients) I'm doing the wine/dining. After we have done our work, they return the favors (often ten-fold if we have done well).

That's awesome!!!

Yeah, wine can get a little out of control. What tricks do you guys use to keep the costs down? One thing we do is buy cheaper wine for immediate drinking. A couple of good options are Trader Joe's and Grocery Outlet.

Most of the wine that we buy is for "immediate" drinking, meaning within the next few months. Most of the stuff that we buy when we travel or get as really nice gifts goes into the wine fridge that we have. Right now, that fridge is stocked mainly with New Zealand and California wine from trips a few years back.

In terms of keeping costs down, if you can find a good wine shop with knowledgeable staff that you can establish a relationship with, they can steer you in the right direction in terms of finding really good wine that is a good deal as well. Example: wine shop had a really nice $80 bottle, but then pointed us in the direction of the $25 bottle that was made by the same winemaker and used some of the same grapes, but just wasn't as limited at the $80 bottle. I'm pretty sure that if we had tasted both bottles, we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Big fan of wine, with little knowledge of wine..
A few of our favorites lately have been blends:
Apothic Red
Apothic White
X Winery blends
and Jam Jar from South Africa

I've made some notes and can't wait to try some of the suggestions from here!

Most of the wine that we buy is for "immediate" drinking, meaning within the next few months. Most of the stuff that we buy when we travel or get as really nice gifts goes into the wine fridge that we have. Right now, that fridge is stocked mainly with New Zealand and California wine from trips a few years back.

In terms of keeping costs down, if you can find a good wine shop with knowledgeable staff that you can establish a relationship with, they can steer you in the right direction in terms of finding really good wine that is a good deal as well. Example: wine shop had a really nice $80 bottle, but then pointed us in the direction of the $25 bottle that was made by the same winemaker and used some of the same grapes, but just wasn't as limited at the $80 bottle. I'm pretty sure that if we had tasted both bottles, we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Our ideas of cheap wine for immediate drinking are different :)

I can often find $12-$20 wine that is available for $5-$8. If it was legal I'd start uncorking this stuff on the way home...it gets consumed that night :)

After a few years of waiting we finally made it off the waiting list and receive an allotment from SeaSmoke. That and some occasional purchases during wine tasting up here go in our 'cellar' - a little storage box under a table in the dining room :)

After a few years of waiting we finally made it off the waiting list and receive an allotment from SeaSmoke. That and some occasional purchases during wine tasting up here go in our 'cellar' - a little storage box under a table in the dining room :)

I've been a buyer of Sea Smoke for many vintages. If you ever get a chance to visit their winery in Lompoc, don't hesitate. The entire group of folks down there are awesome and very passionate about their work and their wine and the winery is amazing. Depending on which bottlings you get, some of them are quite good as young wines but if you can wait until they have about 4-5 years in the bottle, they'll really be great.

In fact, that entire area down in the Santa Rita Hills is an awesome area to visit and play some golf too.

Shared a bottle of this last night in Monterey, CA with a great group of colleagues. Ok, I drank most of it, bunch of tee totalers! I was very happy. Not sure if it shows up well in the pic, but the label was printing with braille as well. I thought that was pretty cool.

20121018_204337.jpg

Our ideas of cheap wine for immediate drinking are different :)

I can often find $12-$20 wine that is available for $5-$8. If it was legal I'd start uncorking this stuff on the way home...it gets consumed that night :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, we like our cheap wines too. I love hitting up Trader Joe's for their <$10 selection, and not just 2 buck chuck.

Oh, don't get me wrong, we like our cheap wines too. I love hitting up Trader Joe's for their <$10 selection, and not just 2 buck chuck.

Please don't admit to buying and drinking 2 buck chuck. If you saw how that crap was produced you'd gag.

Chapoutier was the first producer to put braille on their labels back in the mid 90s. They did it after a friend, who is blind, said something about having to bring a friend to the wine shop to help identify different wines. They are a very good producer at all price points. You almost can't go wrong with a wine from them.

Shared a bottle of this last night in Monterey, CA with a great group of colleagues. Ok, I drank most of it, bunch of tee totalers! I was very happy. Not sure if it shows up well in the pic, but the label was printing with braille as well. I thought that was pretty cool.

20121018_204337.jpg

Please don't admit to buying and drinking 2 buck chuck. If you saw how that crap was produced you'd gag.

We don't drink it very much, wife actually uses it more for cooking. I can find pretty good stuff under 10 bucks at TJs. One of my favorites is Stump Jump GSM by d'Arenberg from Australia.

We don't drink it very much, wife actually uses it more for cooking. I can find pretty good stuff under 10 bucks at TJs. One of my favorites is Stump Jump GSM by d'Arenberg from Australia.

we need a trader joes in town lol, I'll check out the cheap wine section next time I go to el paso. surprisingly, world market has a decent wine section

I was on a Malbec kick for awhile. Last Christmas I bought a few of these to bring to the party. Big hit with the relatives. A few thought I spent a lot, $25-30. I only spent $6 each at Costco :D
redir

Edit: ugh, I can't image to work. It was a bottle 2010 Conquista Malbec we were drinking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back