WINE enthusiasts?

I was on a Malbec kick for awhile. Last Christmas I bought a few of these to bring to the party. Big hit with the relatives. A few thought I spent a lot, $25-30. I only spent $6 each at Costco :D
redir

Edit: ugh, I can't image to work. It was a bottle 2010 Conquista Malbec we were drinking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

conquista+malbec.jpg

this? looks yummy

I think there should be a certain requirement for posting pictures of wine and wine bottles on this thread. The requirement would be that something golf related needs to be in the picture. A ball, a tee, anything... :)

I think there should be a certain requirement for posting pictures of wine and wine bottles on this thread. The requirement would be that something golf related needs to be in the picture. A ball, a tee, anything... :)

there you go

BenHoganWine.jpg

My scorecard? That often drives me to drink.

conquista+malbec.jpg

this? looks yummy

Yes that is the one. Thank you Mr. Satchmo. It is yummy, at least I think so. I like the screw top which I'm a fan of also. Costco carries Norton also which is another good Malbec and reasonably priced.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

anyone try the Bogle line?

anyone try the Bogle line?

I think it is a great value. I like the price point...I feel like it is better than its price suggests. I have the 2010 Merlot in cue for our next heavy pasta dish.

I think it is a great value. I like the price point...I feel like it is better than its price suggests. I have the 2010 Merlot in cue for our next heavy pasta dish.

It all depends on what you are looking for but I would agree that they are good values. Much better then a lot of other wines at that price point. Although - for that next heavy pasta dish I'd be looking for an Italian wine. Merlot doesn't have enough acidity to cut through hearty Italian sauces.

It all depends on what you are looking for but I would agree that they are good values. Much better then a lot of other wines at that price point. Although - for that next heavy pasta dish I'd be looking for an Italian wine. Merlot doesn't have enough acidity to cut through hearty Italian sauces.

I disagree. I generally don't eat red meat, and I find that merlot goes very well with many of the pasta dishes I eat. One of my favorites is orecchiette with either chicken, various vegatables or seafood. I have had this dish with countless wines, and have determined that merlot pairs the best.

I disagree. I generally don't eat red meat, and I find that merlot goes very well with many of the pasta dishes I eat. One of my favorites is orecchiette with either chicken, various vegatables or seafood. I have had this dish with countless wines, and have determined that merlot pairs the best.

Im with you Looper. It comes down to personal taste and certainly even more than that, the sauce, level of garlic and so much more. The old rules of what goes with what are gone.

If you like the Bogle Merlot, check out the Petite Syrah. Rich, chocolately and full of good flavor with a strong finish.

Im with you Looper. It comes down to personal taste and certainly even more than that, the sauce, level of garlic and so much more. The old rules of what goes with what are gone.

Agree with JB. It all comes down to personal taste. Heck, some nice crisp Pinot Grigio sounds good with the Orecchiette... or maybe some old Dom. :hungry:

285493_10151192533881280_1629817161_n.jpg

Last night we were celebrating with a few friends, so we decided to get a bottle of the 1993 nikolaihof, gruner veltliner smaragd as our pre-dinner course wine. We paired it with bosc pears, almonds, and a pumpkin seed/apple sweetbread. It was fantastic! It aged very well. Its initial smell/taste is a bit woody (probably from the significant amount of time spent in the cask). It ends on the sweeter fruitier side; a little apricot type taste. It was very good and paired very well with our less-than-strong starters.

Last night we were celebrating with a few friends, so we decided to get a bottle of the 1993 nikolaihof, gruner veltliner smaragd as our pre-dinner course wine. We paired it with bosc pears, almonds, and a pumpkin seed/apple sweetbread. It was fantastic! It aged very well. Its initial smell/taste is a bit woody (probably from the significant amount of time spent in the cask). It ends on the sweeter fruitier side; a little apricot type taste. It was very good and paired very well with our less-than-strong starters.

These wines can be really nice with age on them if they are well stored. Very few Austrian Gruner Veltliner wines have any oak influence as most are fermented in stainless steel or very large neutral oak casks so perhaps the woodiness you picked up on was more from the maturity of the wine itself.

If you liked that, also consider some aged German Riesling, which is also really tasty and very versatile.

These wines can be really nice with age on them if they are well stored. Very few Austrian Gruner Veltliner wines have any oak influence as most are fermented in stainless steel or very large neutral oak casks so perhaps the woodiness you picked up on was more from the maturity of the wine itself.

If you liked that, also consider some aged German Riesling, which is also really tasty and very versatile.

This is the second time I have enjoyed a nikolaihof wine. The time prior I also noticed a richer, woody type taste. This time around I decided to ask the sommelier about that distinct taste. He indicated that nikolaihof wines are unique because they are aged for a lengthy time in old oak casks (17 years or so for our particular bottle). He described the taste as a "roasted nut" type of organic taste that comes from the cask-aging process. While I cannot be certain that was exactly what i was tasting, I felt like the sommelier was being genuine.

I am not the biggest aged riesling fan in most instances, but a few of our friends drink riesling ALL the time.... and I am almost certain that when we host our annual "Friendsgiving", they are going to bring a bottle of mature reisling. It seems like half of the old reislings have a smell of islay scotch or iodine. I recognize that many people like that smell in reisling, but I prefer it in my scotch, not it my white grapes.

This time around I decided to ask the sommelier about that distinct taste. He indicated that nikolaihof wines are unique because they are aged for a lengthy time in old oak casks (17 years or so for our particular bottle). He described the taste as a "roasted nut" type of organic taste that comes from the cask-aging process. While I cannot be certain that was exactly what i was tasting, I felt like the sommelier was being genuine.

Ok I get what you are saying now. I see from their site that Nokolaihof ages some of their wines for extended periods in large, old oak, casks which normally wouldn't impart any major oak influence into the wine (the casks are too old for that) but the extended cask aging matures the wine much quicker then what you would get from bottle aging and could certainly provide that characteristic. Very unique among Austrian producers. I haven't tried wine from this producer myself but now I am intrigued to look them up.

17 years seems inaccurate though. The most I could see on their site was 6 years. 17 would indicate that the wine was just bottled in 2010. That's a very long time to spend aging prior to bottling for a wine like that. I would think it would oxidize by that time.

I am not the biggest aged riesling fan in most instances, but a few of our friends drink riesling ALL the time.... and I am almost certain that when we host our annual "Friendsgiving", they are going to bring a bottle of mature reisling. It seems like half of the old reislings have a smell of islay scotch or iodine. I recognize that many people like that smell in reisling, but I prefer it in my scotch, not it my white grapes.

Yes - that's hit or miss with a lot of people. I don't mind it (but yes prefer it in my scotch) but my wife hates it. She only likes her Riesling nice and young.

Ok I get what you are saying now. I see from their site that Nokolaihof ages some of their wines for extended periods in large, old oak, casks which normally wouldn't impart any major oak influence into the wine (the casks are too old for that) but the extended cask aging matures the wine much quicker then what you would get from bottle aging and could certainly provide that characteristic. Very unique among Austrian producers. I haven't tried wine from this producer myself but now I am intrigued to look them up..

Yeah; that made sense to me too. it was brief and on the front end for sure.

17 years seems inaccurate though. The most I could see on their site was 6 years. 17 would indicate that the wine was just bottled in 2010. That's a very long time to spend aging prior to bottling for a wine like that. I would think it would oxidize by that time.

Yeah; perhaps. I thought he said it was bottled in late 2008 (15 years... sorry for my bad math), but maybe I misheard or misunderstood. In any event... I thought it was great and paired well with our pre-dinner dishes.

Yes - that's hit or miss with a lot of people. I don't mind it (but yes prefer it in my scotch) but my wife hates it. She only likes her Riesling nice and young.

What is that from? Seems like I notice it more in the older reisling.

What is that from? Seems like I notice it more in the older reisling.

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't quite covered that varietal in any of my courses as I mainly focus on French wines. I can only suspect that perhaps it's because a lot of German Riesling has a substantial amount of residual sugar, which gives it sweetness on the palate (and much lower alcohol levels). As these wines age, they lose the sweetness and it's usually replaced by some rather interesting smells and flavors. Similar things happen to other sweet wines such as Sauternes from France but they never take on that smell, which seems to be associated more with the German wines.

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't quite covered that varietal in any of my courses as I mainly focus on French wines. I can only suspect that perhaps it's because a lot of German Riesling has a substantial amount of residual sugar, which gives it sweetness on the palate (and much lower alcohol levels). As these wines age, they lose the sweetness and it's usually replaced by some rather interesting smells and flavors. Similar things happen to other sweet wines such as Sauternes from France but they never take on that smell, which seems to be associated more with the German wines.

Interesting. Its more than I know about it... so until I hear otherwise, your answer is what I am going with. Thanks.

Interesting. Its more than I know about it... so until I hear otherwise, your answer is what I am going with. Thanks.

From Jancis Robinson's Oxford Companion to Wine:

"An important contributor to the bottle-aged bouquet of Riesling wines is the norisoprenoid hydrocarbon 1,1,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene (TDN). At or just above the detection threshold it adds to the complexity of these wines. It can sometimes be found in relatively high concentrations, particularly in wines that have been in bottle for two or more years, and in excess, TDN can impart an undesirable kerosene-like flavour."

I would say this is what you are smelling in bottle aged Rieslings. It is a common occurrence and I quite like it although I can understand why people are against it in high levels.

From Jancis Robinson's Oxford Companion to Wine:

"An important contributor to the bottle-aged bouquet of Riesling wines is the norisoprenoid hydrocarbon 1,1,6-trimethyl-1,2-dihydronaphthalene (TDN). At or just above the detection threshold it adds to the complexity of these wines. It can sometimes be found in relatively high concentrations, particularly in wines that have been in bottle for two or more years, and in excess, TDN can impart an undesirable kerosene-like flavour."

I would say this is what you are smelling in bottle aged Rieslings. It is a common occurrence and I quite like it although I can understand why people are against it in high levels.

Interesting. I am in agreement with the Oxford Companion to wine ... I find it undesirable. thanks for the info, tlynar.

Interesting. I am in agreement with the Oxford Companion to wine ... I find it undesirable. thanks for the info, tlynar.

Can't argue with Jancis. She's one of the best.

If you are into wine then I highly suggest you find your way to the great Northwest for the Taste of Tualip next year. It's the largest wine expo on the west coast. I've attended the past two years and had an incredibly good time and found some great new wineries to follow. They have multiple price point options from the one day taste pass to drink all the wine you want to a multi-day pass that includes a wine dinner, private parties and a magnum party. They were popping corks on magnums of Cristal and many others worth more this year. There were easily 100+ wineries this year from Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, France and beyond. The best part is, the Tualip tribe pays for all the wine they bring, so these places bring there best stuff. A $400 bottle of wine was being freely poured. They also have multiple top shelf chefs prepare finger food dishes that are served from multiple stations throughout the venue. This years featured chef was Top Chef Master Marcus Samuelsson. I left with a very full stomach this year! The also added a beer area this year where a couple dozen breweries from the northwest and beyond were offered up.

If you are into wine then I highly suggest you find your way to the great Northwest for the Taste of Tualip next year. It's the largest wine expo on the west coast. I've attended the past two years and had an incredibly good time and found some great new wineries to follow. They have multiple price point options from the one day taste pass to drink all the wine you want to a multi-day pass that includes a wine dinner, private parties and a magnum party. They were popping corks on magnums of Cristal and many others worth more this year. There were easily 100+ wineries this year from Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, France and beyond. The best part is, the Tualip tribe pays for all the wine they bring, so these places bring there best stuff. A $400 bottle of wine was being freely poured. They also have multiple top shelf chefs prepare finger food dishes that are served from multiple stations throughout the venue. This years featured chef was Top Chef Master Marcus Samuelsson. I left with a very full stomach this year! The also added a beer area this year where a couple dozen breweries from the northwest and beyond were offered up.

What time of year is this event?

New years eve bottle. Freaking fantastic.

enava6e4.jpg

Back