2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone set a hard plan of action to improve there game? What goals are you setting for yourselves along the way? How will you measure if those goals are met? How much time are you dedicating to range time and how much to actual playing time.

My biggest weakness this year has been my GIR. I just dont hit many greens in regulation which put alot of pressure on my short game. I hope to focus on that and track my GIR over the year. More GIR should lead the scores down by itself. That being said, I dont want to become a range rat for it either.

Has anyone set a hard plan of action to improve there game? What goals are you setting for yourselves along the way? How will you measure if those goals are met? How much time are you dedicating to range time and how much to actual playing time.

I think I've said it before, but I am tearing my game completely apart, and rebuilding it from my stance, grip and really evaluate how I swing the club. I've set up a schedule for the week, I will explain it in my first Morgan Cup prep video coming up soon.

I also have been videoing myself swinging, so I can see the progression as this process plays out. Trying to document this process as much as possible so that I can see how this all plays out. After I rebuild my mechanics, I will get fitted and spec'd out then and get advice from the sponsors and our local pros here in town on how to build my bag to fit my game the best.

From there, it's going to be range sessions and matches galore. Luckily, I am a member at one of the courses in town and that includes unlimited range use. So thats where you will see me from March on. Will probably work in the simulator a bit with tnolan a couple of times this winter, but we've already vowed to play one round a week together when the weather and plans permitted. So that's kinda my plan right now!

I have already started lessons with a new coach that I think is going to be great.....I have only taken 2 lessons in my life and they were both more of a basic "swing evaluation" lesson....I am looking forward to seeing how far I can go with some "real work".

I will dedicate myself to the short game again this year too....120 yards and in....I think for a person with my game that is the best thing I can do to get my scoring better. Most of my issues anymore don't come from horrible tee shots or even really horrible second shots....most of the time I am within 25 yards of the green in regulation....it's when I am 5 yards off the green on a par 4 in two....blade a chip over the green....chunk the next chip back on the green but 30 feet away and 2 putt for double that gets me.

Cut those down and the scores fall...that's how I went from a 18-19 last year to a 12 now.

I'm going to try to hit balls inside at least once a week throughout the winter so that I can keep up with the swing changes that I'm trying to make.

My biggest weakness this year has been my GIR. I just dont hit many greens in regulation which put alot of pressure on my short game. I hope to focus on that and track my GIR over the year. More GIR should lead the scores down by itself. That being said, I dont want to become a range rat for it either.

So you want to improve your gir. How will you go about this? And What do you feel kept you off the green?

Short Game 101!!! Major attention it's going to get.

I , like TBT, am going to work on my short game and a couple of minor areas I need to work on. That work will be with my coach who has really helped me improve over the last 7 months. My plan now is to get on the course as much a I can, during the week I will be hitting shorter, 9 hole courses first thing in the morning and can get through them fairly quickly and not disturb my work life. On the weekends I plan to continue to play a variety of courses to really challenge my game instead of playing the same one over and over again. I also want to build up my stamina to play 36 holes with relative ease as that will be an issue come July as Ary pointed out earlier.

Another big area I want to work on is the whole match play style of play. When I have played with my friends up to now it is simply stroke play. I know there is a different thought process with the match play style and I want to be completely comfortable with it come July.

I personally can't wait to be fully dynamically fitted. It puts my mind at ease that I am playing he perfect stuff for me.

That's by far my worst stat as well and something that I hope the regular lessons will help.....I am never too far off the green, usually either a pulled shot misses left a few yards or a pushed shot doing the same thing to the right...and then there are the Hit it heavy and come up short ones...if I can get my GIR percentage up then scores should go down.

I just looked at Golf Shot and over the last 20 rounds my GIR average is 33.3%...with a high of 50% twice in the last 20 rounds and a low of 11%...I really think the lessons and more consitent ball striking will help me get that percentage up.

It's cliche, but putting is a HUGE equalizer. You can play a great hole, feel all sorts of awesome, and one putt from your opponent can erase it.

It's cliche, but putting is a HUGE equalizer. You can play a great hole, feel all sorts of awesome, and one putt from your opponent can erase it.

hmmmm....I think I have heard of that happening before.

I was about to say, One putt (again and again and again) from TBT can rip your heart out!

LOL exactly. It's 100% true. If you can drop putts, nothing else matters that much. Yorkem is another good example of that. He went crazy on Saturday afternoon.

LOL exactly. It's 100% true. If you can drop putts, nothing else matters that much. Yorkem is another good example of that. He went crazy on Saturday afternoon.

Yeah from what I saw in the coverage Yorkem dropped several bombs as well.

I can't wait to get the DVD's from that so I can put the one putt on a loop and watch it over and over...LOL...it was in the afternoon match and was about a 35 footer down hill a huge break for birdie and Breezy and Smalls had about a 8-10 footer that was pretty flat for birdie.

I hit the putt and about halfway there I raised my putter in the air and yelled "get in the hole" and started walking......then the ball took the break and dropped dead center.....Breezy and Smalls had eyes glazed over and both missed their putt....it was pretty cool.

I can't wait to get the DVD's from that so I can put the one putt on a loop and watch it over and over...LOL...it was in the afternoon match and was about a 35 footer down hill a huge break for birdie and Breezy and Smalls had about a 8-10 footer that was pretty flat for birdie.

I hit the putt and about halfway there I raised my putter in the air and yelled "get in the hole" and started walking......then the ball took the break and dropped dead center.....Breezy and Smalls had eyes glazed over and both missed their putt....it was pretty cool.

......and thus the legend of TripleBogieTim was born!!

Frick did that ever get annoying. 1 time, yeah good putt bro. 2 clutch must have putts and it was like...dang. 3 of them in a span of about 6 holes and it was just INSANE!

It's true though, putting is HUGE in the Morgan Cup. HUGE HUGE HUGE. I can't even say it enough.

Yep, it was a highlight of our round, hehehe.

Putting is a big, big deal in this event.Anything short game,really.

WITB for each company done in School Notebook: Check

There is really nothing like dropping a big putt out there.

Frick did that ever get annoying. 1 time, yeah good putt bro. 2 clutch must have putts and it was like...dang. 3 of them in a span of about 6 holes and it was just INSANE!

It's true though, putting is HUGE in the Morgan Cup. HUGE HUGE HUGE. I can't even say it enough.

This. You can putt/ you can win

All I remember is watching the 2011 coverage and telling myself I wanted to have a Jake moment out there. It was one of two goals that I really focused on going in. Win or lose, I just wanted to drop a big one.

Nice! I had bags within the first week. I actually had all this stuff written down and ran across it a month ago. My eventual set-up looked nothing like I had planned out lol.

Haha I did the exact same thing. My bag was filled with players irons

Has anyone set a hard plan of action to improve their game? What goals are you setting for yourselves along the way? How will you measure if those goals are met? How much time are you dedicating to range time and how much to actual playing time.

Great questions. I don't have a hard set plan yet, but I will be putting in a lot of hours. I've started rebuilding my swing with our Assistant Pro, and plan on taking short lessons with him every so often to fine tune my swing. I also plan on focusing on my short game, on and around the green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back