2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent post BigTex.

I have found that running helps my golf game by keeping the weight off. The less mass that I have around my midsection, the better I can make a turn and golf swing. What is interesting is that the flight of my golf ball changes when I am training for races. When I am leaner, I tend to hit a draw. When I'm not training, I tend to hit a fade.

That is interesting. Do you stretch more when training? Is it significant?

This is a great thread. Three years ago I got sick and tired of being sick and tired so I drastically changed my eating habits. I also realized that in order to get better at golf I had to get stronger and more flexible.

I've lost 40 lbs in three years. Here's how:

I haven't touched refined sugar in three years. With the exception eggs and fish, I do not eat anything white. I eat often and a lot, just better quality food. My goal is (you're going to laugh) to make sure all my poop sinks. That's right. I noticed whenever I eat fatty foods my poop floats. I stretch a lot and I joined a gym. At age 55 I know I'm not going to get muscle bound but I do want to get toned. I also made up some "golf specific exercises" that I enjoy.

I had to buy a new wardrobe two times over. It's sad but I have bags of brand new clothes worn once or twice. This journey is a real mindset changer. A totally new way of life.

BUT my interest in this thread is I have plateaued . I am weight stable but I really want to lose 10 more lbs and just can't seem to do it.

Any advice?

BigTex, have you done low-back squats? I like them to break up the routine from normal back squats. :)

Sudseh,

I have never done them, but do understand the benefit to using them. Puts the load less on the upper part of the back, and less shear on the lower back. They just look uncomfortable to me so never tried them. I will do front squats, and actually should get back to them more than the back squats since they protect your back better. Have you ever done goblet squats? They are great to do, especially as a warmup, but you can use a heavy dumbbell or kettle bell. Probably best one to do to learn the proper mechanics.

Excellent post BigTex.

I have found that running helps my golf game by keeping the weight off. The less mass that I have around my midsection, the better I can make a turn and golf swing. What is interesting is that the flight of my golf ball changes when I am training for races. When I am leaner, I tend to hit a draw. When I'm not training, I tend to hit a fade.

I hear ya ATLGolfer, we all fight the battle of the bulge. Exercise is always an important part to maintain that, and to a certain extent you have to do some form of exercise you enjoy doing just so you will keep doing it. For me I would rather work out more intensely over a shorter period of time. Fits my schedule better and I enjoy it more. Not to mention the only injuries I have ever had working out were from running longer distances. I recently got my wife to go to join the gym and do the metabolic classes that I do. She has had issues with her low back and working with trainers at some of the bigger gyms ends up getting her hurt within a month and out of commission. Being a former olympic level gymnast she has great natural strength and motor patterns which caused the trainers to push her to use too much weight to soon. She also did the long slow dread mill and allyptical workouts and never got any results. She started the metabolic workouts and loves them and dropped 3 sizes in 3 months. Since they are such sticklers about form and proper progressions she also not been hurt in the process.

One thing you might try once you get through the marathon training is try the metabolic workouts like the ones I have been posting. Also do some research on complexes and interval training. Complexes are real similar to my metabolic workouts, using one apparatus like a barbell or dumbell with several different movements consecutively. With the intervals you can run, just alternating sprints or high intensity running with walking or slower runs. If you enjoy running over weight training that might be a way to go.

BTW, having the discipline to train and complete a marathon is quite an accomplishment. Congrats!

Been going to the gym for about a week and half now. Doing an hour on the treadmill, slowly building up on speed and on incline, been doing about 10-15 different stretches a session for about 30 minutes, and doing low weights on machines to start to build some muscle and still retain plenty of flexibility. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I hear ya WCBM, and I agree some form of running should be a part of any training program. But keep in mind the only athletes that run long distances are distance runners. Athletes in baseball, football, basketball, soccer, and other sports all sprint when they run. Pitching or swinging a baseball bat or golf club is a more ballistic movement, more like sprinting than endurance movements. There may be some muscular endurance issues to account for, but increasing your VO2 max does not really help that. I think interval running pretty well gives the benefits that you can get from distance running, with less of an impact from the over use issues. More explosive, recruits more glute use, gain in muscular endurance, and less pounding on joints. Most of the studies I have heard also indicate that you get similar gains in VO2 max and the side benefit of EPOC.

What lead me to workout like I do is several things, but one was the only thing that would get me hurt was running longer distances. It also seemed that everyone I knew that ran had physical issues. For me I am working out to stay out of the doctor's office, not create another reason to have to go. Having said that, I realize there are people that are just the opposite and either do not like weight training or have been hurt doing it. For pretty much all of us here I would think that the primary motivation is to be healthy, with a secondary benefit being improving our golf game. So to a great extent whatever exercise someone wants to do has to be something they will do. For some people that is running since it is the one exercise they like, or at least hate least. Optimally they may supplement that training with something that offsets some of the negative issues associated with it. Striking a balance with what we need to do and want to do always seems to be the challenge.

BTW, I think you setting up this thread and your insight is great motivation and a great way to exchange ideas.

While this is a great post, I would disagree with the adverse to training theory. I think about it like this: ALL athletes run. Some do it for a longer amount of time than others. And there is something to be said for cardiovascular improvement and endurance. I would also disagree with the repetitive motion theory. Boyle is great but he is also promoting his routines. There is nothing wrong with that and he has had success in marketing. But for athletes like Dean Karnazes who currently holds some of the most ridiculous distance records in the world for ultra running and has yet to have an injury to me speaks volumes. Now is he trying to play golf also? No. BUT to me the principles tranfer. The last part is spectacular advice however. Your body can only do so much. I would agree with holding off until after the marathon to do a serious routine or program.

Idrops,

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Having just joined the half century club this year myself i appreciate where you are. My only suggestion would be do not try focus on each aspect of the puzzle at once. I think fitness is a lot like working on the golf swing. You do much better really focusing on one part of it for a period of time and rotate to another piece. Too many swing thoughts and you are lost. Does not mean you ignore the other pieces, just emphasize one thing at a time. Whether it be strength/hypertrophy, flexibility/mobility, power, or weight loss. So for a period time emphasize strength/hypertrophy, but do enough metabolic/aerobic and flexibility/mobility work to not lose ground there. After 8 or 10 weeks change the emphasis. From everything I have seen you get more gains in each of those avenues doing it that way than trying to do them all at once. Also helps keep things fresh and not get bored.

A couple of really good resources are The New Rules of Lifting for Life by Alwyn Cosgrove and Intervention by Dan John. They are a couple of my favorite trainers and authors and the info in those books really speaks addresses the issues for aging (but never old) coots like us.

This is a great thread. Three years ago I got sick and tired of being sick and tired so I drastically changed my eating habits. I also realized that in order to get better at golf I had to get stronger and more flexible.

I haven't touched refined sugar in three years. With the exception eggs and fish, I do not eat anything white. I eat often and a lot, just better quality food. My goal is (you're going to laugh) to make sure all my poop sinks. That's right. I noticed whenever I eat fatty foods my poop floats. I stretch a lot and I joined a gym. At age 55 I know I'm not going to get muscle bound but I do want to get toned. I also made up some "golf specific exercises" that I enjoy.

I had to buy a new wardrobe two times over. It's sad but I have bags of brand new clothes worn once or twice. This journey is a real mindset changer. A totally new way of life.

BUT my interest in this thread is I have plateaued . I am weight stable but I really want to lose 10 more lbs and just can't seem to do it.

Any advice?

BigTex,

I have done goblet squats in the past, but those were mostly light weight - high reps with a shoulder press after standing up.

Sudseh,

I have never done them, but do understand the benefit to using them. Puts the load less on the upper part of the back, and less shear on the lower back. They just look uncomfortable to me so never tried them. I will do front squats, and actually should get back to them more than the back squats since they protect your back better. Have you ever done goblet squats? They are great to do, especially as a warmup, but you can use a heavy dumbbell or kettle bell. Probably best one to do to learn the proper mechanics.

Left the range and headed to the gym yesterday. Walked the five minute warm up and started running.
It felt terrible. After 45 seconds, I called it a day and left. Wasn't feeling it / tired.

Got up today in time to let insanity workout #8 - Cardio Circuit hand my arse to me. Hoping to negate a few of the things I'm going to eat today.

Any advice?

Tex had some great thoughts. I'd agree with everything he posted. Those last Lbs. can be very difficult. I like the idea of really switching up the workouts and adding more intense cardio while maybe just slightly monitoring caloric intake. Hopefully that does the trick!!

Left the range and headed to the gym yesterday. Walked the five minute warm up and started running.
It felt terrible. After 45 seconds, I called it a day and left. Wasn't feeling it / tired.

Got up today in time to let insanity workout #8 - Cardio Circuit hand my arse to me. Hoping to negate a few of the things I'm going to eat today.

Dude- keep crushing it. You are doing awesome work bro.

I hear ya WCBM, and I agree some form of running should be a part of any training program. But keep in mind the only athletes that run long distances are distance runners. Athletes in baseball, football, basketball, soccer, and other sports all sprint when they run. Pitching or swinging a baseball bat or golf club is a more ballistic movement, more like sprinting than endurance movements. There may be some muscular endurance issues to account for, but increasing your VO2 max does not really help that. I think interval running pretty well gives the benefits that you can get from distance running, with less of an impact from the over use issues. More explosive, recruits more glute use, gain in muscular endurance, and less pounding on joints. Most of the studies I have heard also indicate that you get similar gains in VO2 max and the side benefit of EPOC.

What lead me to workout like I do is several things, but one was the only thing that would get me hurt was running longer distances. It also seemed that everyone I knew that ran had physical issues. For me I am working out to stay out of the doctor's office, not create another reason to have to go. Having said that, I realize there are people that are just the opposite and either do not like weight training or have been hurt doing it. For pretty much all of us here I would think that the primary motivation is to be healthy, with a secondary benefit being improving our golf game. So to a great extent whatever exercise someone wants to do has to be something they will do. For some people that is running since it is the one exercise they like, or at least hate least. Optimally they may supplement that training with something that offsets some of the negative issues associated with it. Striking a balance with what we need to do and want to do always seems to be the challenge.

BTW, I think you setting up this thread and your insight is great motivation and a great way to exchange ideas.

Completely agree bud. Also, I really appreciate your thoughts and insight my man. Thank you so much for the input!! And you are right - health is the ultimate goal !

Idrops,

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Having just joined the half century club this year myself i appreciate where you are. My only suggestion would be do not try focus on each aspect of the puzzle at once. I think fitness is a lot like working on the golf swing. You do much better really focusing on one part of it for a period of time and rotate to another piece. Too many swing thoughts and you are lost. Does not mean you ignore the other pieces, just emphasize one thing at a time. Whether it be strength/hypertrophy, flexibility/mobility, power, or weight loss. So for a period time emphasize strength/hypertrophy, but do enough metabolic/aerobic and flexibility/mobility work to not lose ground there. After 8 or 10 weeks change the emphasis. From everything I have seen you get more gains in each of those avenues doing it that way than trying to do them all at once. Also helps keep things fresh and not get bored.

A couple of really good resources are The New Rules of Lifting for Life by Alwyn Cosgrove and Intervention by Dan John. They are a couple of my favorite trainers and authors and the info in those books really speaks addresses the issues for aging (but never old) coots like us.

Thanks Tex, I'll try that.

Just got on the scale and I am down 4 lbs already. Changing the diet is not an easy thing, but truly amazing how much these changes can help in reaching goals.

When I (try) do various olympic lifting, I have trouble going down into the squat position, before straightening my legs. My upperbody falls forward and unless I let my heels up I'll drop the bar in front of me. Do you have any advice on this WCBM?

Just got on the scale and I am down 4 lbs already. Changing the diet is not an easy thing, but truly amazing how much these changes can help in reaching goals.
Way to JB, keep up the good work!

I haven't been posting here lately. Not because I haven't been in the gym. Just tired and busy. I think I found a good chest structure that is challenging, protects and strengthens my chest and shoulder.

1. Incline push-up 3x12
2. Wide hands push-up 3x8
3. Push-up Plus 1x12 1x10 1x8
4. Decline Push-up 5x5 with as little rest as possible
5. Weighted Side Plank 3x10
20 minutes of interval training on elliptical
5 minutes in the sauna.

Time for bed.

When I (try) do various olympic lifting, I have trouble going down into the squat position, before straightening my legs. My upperbody falls forward and unless I let my heels up I'll drop the bar in front of me. Do you have any advice on this WCBM?

I'm not WCBM

But try some front squats or goblet squats. Very good stable lifts that are very effective with lights weight so you can focus on form. Just and idea.

I'm not WCBM

But try some front squats or goblet squats. Very good stable lifts that are very effective with lights weight so you can focus on form. Just and idea.

No, I physically can't do it, it's a range of motion issue.

I haven't been posting here lately. Not because I haven't been in the gym. Just tired and busy. I think I found a good chest structure that is challenging, protects and strengthens my chest and shoulder.

1. Incline push-up 3x12
2. Wide hands push-up 3x8
3. Push-up Plus 1x12 1x10 1x8
4. Decline Push-up 5x5 with as little rest as possible
5. Weighted Side Plank 3x10
20 minutes of interval training on elliptical
5 minutes in the sauna.

Time for bed.

Throw this is in your routine. Muscle exhaustion push-ups. Do 10 rest for 15sec, then 9 and rest, then 8. Repeat down to one push-up. Maybe the hardest push-up of all, that last one.

BioMechanicly can't do it or can does your form just breakdown at a certain point? If its the former, I have no ideas.

Throw this is in your routine. Muscle exhaustion push-ups. Do 10 rest for 15sec, then 9 and rest, then 8. Repeat down to one push-up. Maybe the hardest push-up of all, that last one.

I used to do that but superseted it with dips. 10 push-ups 10 dips.

I will give a try as a benchmark sort of exercise. See how low I can get.

I'm not WCBM, but I used to do lots of these... :D

Yoga would take care of it from a flexibility and proprioception point of view.

Also, if it's only a range of motion issue, stretch out hamstring, lower back, it-band (iliothoracic??? I don't remember offhand -- runs from your hip down your leg past your knee on the outside). And work on keeping your back tight and your form perfect.

IMHO, form breaking down is a consequence of too much weight or bad initial posture. You may want to do air squats focusing on keeping upright, moving your butt back first to initiate the lift (instead of bending your knees first), keeping your upper back tight (not rounded), looking at a spot on the floor 8-10 feet (~3metres) in front of you, and really focusing on keeping your weight in your heels.

Actually, can you post a video of your lift? :)

This weekend will be a small break in the food goals for me as with the FL Get Together and a few other things, I will be eating out. My goal is to limit that to 1 night per week and no fast food for the next few months. As I mentioned above, I am down 4 lbs and have around 18 more to go and think I could reach that relatively quickly with the nutrition approach.

This is something I have wanted for a while and while it is not easy, seeing myself looking pregnant on the videos from the PGA Show last year was not something I want repeated. I might not make it by the show, but will be happy for the attempt and know that I will be there by the 2013 outing, which was my goal all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back