2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbbell swings is my question. I live that exercise but don't know if it will be a problem with the rotator cuff tendonitis.

I would stay away from them. It might not seem to effect the rotator but it puts strain on the deltoid and the rotator helps stabilize it. If I did try I would go extremely low weight

I love the holidays.... But about this time I'm feeling very guilty for the thing I have eaten and the lack of exercise. Time to get back to work

Me too my man. Life gets hectic sometimes

Beard,

I've got a tightness in my swing. It focuses in the glute lower back upper hamstring area of my left side as my hips clear. It's actually quite painful after a few buckets or swings. Looking for exercises to strengthen my lower back and/or stretch my lower back, that can be done at home without the use of equipment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is your daughter's coach having her do glute-hamstring raises? I remember doing a lot of those when I was lifting.

Cheers.

She is not doing those yet since she is just getting started back training. That is a pretty advanced movement, and if done wrong puts a lot of stress on the lower back. I do the weighted hyper extension fairly often, which is fairly similar, but not as hard since the lever point not as distant. Wish I had the right equipment to try them though, so I could give them a shot.

Beard,

I've got a tightness in my swing. It focuses in the glute lower back upper hamstring area of my left side as my hips clear. It's actually quite painful after a few buckets or swings. Looking for exercises to strengthen my lower back and/or stretch my lower back, that can be done at home without the use of equipment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Supermans dude. Lie on your stomach- feet and arms out stretched. Lift only your arms up at first and pulse up and down to a count of ten. Next do the same thing with only lifting your legs to 10 reps. Then do both arms and legs. For an alternate exercise alternate right arm, left leg - then do left arm, right leg. I love these when I need a lower back workout from my house.

I shoveled today for about an hour- then I had basketball practice with my team. Back on the cardio train tomorrow. After New Years Eve, I will be restarting P90X.

I researched this exercise in the hope that it might be one I can do with my lower back problems. When I googled it, I came up with some sites that said it was a terrible exercise for "bad" backs. Unfortunately I probably should steer clear of this one even though I was about to get on the floor and try them!

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Three-Worst-Exercises-For-Low-Back-Pain&id=4259814

Supermans dude. Lie on your stomach- feet and arms out stretched. Lift only your arms up at first and pulse up and down to a count of ten. Next do the same thing with only lifting your legs to 10 reps. Then do both arms and legs. For an alternate exercise alternate right arm, left leg - then do left arm, right leg. I love these when I need a lower back workout from my house.

I researched this exercise in the hope that it might be one I can do with my lower back problems. When I googled it, I came up with some sites that said it was a terrible exercise for "bad" backs. Unfortunately I probably should steer clear of this one even though I was about to get on the floor and try them!

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Three-Worst-Exercises-For-Low-Back-Pain&id=4259814

Good advice KB. They are great if you have a healthy back. If not, tread carefully. Thanks for the link!

Good stuff Kelly!

Beard,

http://www.livestrong.com/article/230685-lower-back-rehabilitation-exercises/
Here is a good article on exercises after a lower back injury. Also when you work your back don't forget to work your abs. Both sets of muscles need equal attention or it can cause injuries by focusing on one set over the other.

I've got the dead muscle feeling right now where I have to assist myself with both arms to reach back for my seatbelt. Great stuff, I've missed that.

Need to get on the bike this evening to round out a strong day.

I guess I should start posting in here and following along. Tomorrow starts my quest to drop the fat and put on some good weight, aka muscle. Nothing spectacular just want to lose the unnecessary fat and tone up for the 2013 season and beyond. Gotta start looking down the road and the long run and being there for my little ones.

My plan is gonna be pretty simple, just push-ups and sit-ups and when it gets a little warmer I will be adding cardio into the mix. I do have a pull-up bar and might include that into the mix as well. I do have a dumbbell set and further down the road may find an easy thing to do at home since I am not a gym guy at all. Looking forward to it and great to see all the success already!

I've got the dead muscle feeling right now where I have to assist myself with both arms to reach back for my seatbelt. Great stuff, I've missed that.

Need to get on the bike this evening to round out a strong day.

Great to hear bro! Back on the train!

I guess I should start posting in here and following along. Tomorrow starts my quest to drop the fat and put on some good weight, aka muscle. Nothing spectacular just want to lose the unnecessary fat and tone up for the 2013 season and beyond. Gotta start looking down the road and the long run and being there for my little ones.

My plan is gonna be pretty simple, just push-ups and sit-ups and when it gets a little warmer I will be adding cardio into the mix. I do have a pull-up bar and might include that into the mix as well. I do have a dumbbell set and further down the road may find an easy thing to do at home since I am not a gym guy at all. Looking forward to it and great to see all the success already!

Glad to have you my man! Lots of really great workouts and motivation in this thread!!

Beard, I got a quick question for you.

I'm trying to become a little more flexible in my upper body. I've heard Yoga is the quickest way to achieve this. Is this true? Or is there other ways you recommend?

I love this thread! So many great posts and thoughts.

Hi BigTex,

If you have a cable lat-pulldown bench, you can do cable-assisted ones. When I did them, I was using a stretch band for assistance.

Cheers

She is not doing those yet since she is just getting started back training. That is a pretty advanced movement, and if done wrong puts a lot of stress on the lower back. I do the weighted hyper extension fairly often, which is fairly similar, but not as hard since the lever point not as distant. Wish I had the right equipment to try them though, so I could give them a shot.

Great to hear bro! Back on the train!

Keeping the weight modest, but trying to max out reps this time around.. The brunt battle wasn't a good one for me..

I'm feeling great about it. Tons of energy right now which is so awesome to feel.

Beard, I got a quick question for you.

I'm trying to become a little more flexible in my upper body. I've heard Yoga is the quickest way to achieve this. Is this true? Or is there other ways you recommend?

I love this thread! So many great posts and thoughts.

I completely agree. The most flexible I have ever been was due to a rigorous and devoted yoga routine that I will be starting again this week. I really works wonders.

Keeping the weight modest, but trying to max out reps this time around.. The brunt battle wasn't a good one for me..

I'm feeling great about it. Tons of energy right now which is so awesome to feel.

Excellent news dude. I am excited to get restarted tomorrow after too many starts and stops. Life happens sometimes. Just have to keep trying and things turn around!

I completely agree. The most flexible I have ever been was due to a rigorous and devoted yoga routine that I will be starting again this week. I really works wonders.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

Want a great workout? Find a power vinyasa class in a hot room (90-95).

Wife and I have a 90 minute class tomorrow to kickoff the year. My back pain has been non existent since starting this a few months ago. Wish I would have listened to the wife a long time ago.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

Want a great workout? Find a power vinyasa class in a hot room (90-95).

Wife and I have a 90 minute class tomorrow to kickoff the year. My back pain has been non existent since starting this a few months ago. Wish I would have listened to the wife a long time ago.

So so so true. Mine was on me for years also and when I finally agreed I was shocked.

Excellent news dude. I am excited to get restarted tomorrow after too many starts and stops. Life happens sometimes. Just have to keep trying and things turn around!

I dig it. We're going to be fine tuned nicely by July. I'll be in here for some pushing often.

Any good yoga DVDs or routines to just do at home? I am thinking of doing something a couple of times a week.

I dig it. We're going to be fine tuned nicely by July. I'll be in here for some pushing often.

Sounds good bro! It is so great that we have this place to come and get motivated together. Sometimes it really does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back