The Official 2012 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiefs GM Scott Pioli remains on payroll but Clark Hunt takes reins of power

Excerpts from the story:

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) - Scott Pioli remains on the Kansas City Chiefs payroll, but Chiefs owner Clark Hunt literally and figuratively shoved his general manager to the sidelines this week. And in doing so, Hunt took steps this week to take greater control over his family's NFL franchise that was founded 50 years ago by his legendary father, Lamar Hunt, who died in 2006.

Hunt made clear Monday that it was he, not Pioli, who decided to fire head coach Romeo Crennel after the team ended 2-14 and clinched the first pick in the NFL draft. "It was my decision, although it was one that Scott agreed with as well," Hunt said.

He also made clear that he, not Pioli, would select Crennel's replacement. "We are going to have a search committee. I am not going into the dynamics of the search committee," Hunt said, adding it would have "internal and external" members. "We are very well organized."

But two decisions by Hunt could perhaps reveal more about Pioli's future in Kansas City than anything else. For the first time in franchise history, Hunt said the coach will report to the owner rather than the general manager.

When it came time to tell the players about Crennel's firing, Hunt let Crennel first break the news, and then he spoke. Pioli wasn't in the room and has made no public comments this week.

Some believe Hunt hasn't dismissed Pioli yet because they are working out a severance deal, but Pioli's departure will come by Feb. 1.

In an interview with KCTV sports anchor Michael Coleman, Hunt said he is seeking a proven leader to replace Crennel. He said he wants a coach with integrity, strong football knowledge and one who will hold himself and his team accountable.

Hunt said he like the fans wants to return to a packed Arrowhead crowd lustily cheering their team in the playoffs.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/20480591...l-but-clark-hunt-takes-reins-of-power-from-gm

Normally I dont care what actors say but this was a Merril Hoge smashing and it made me really happy:

262680_966009941439_1992532560_n.jpg

bazinga!

That is funny Dev. Tebow gets too much love and too much hate IMO, but he is interesting to follow. I hope we see some good football this weekend. Since my team is out (and has been), I'm rooting for the Bengals and Broncos to get some Ws.

That is funny Dev. Tebow gets too much love and too much hate IMO, but he is interesting to follow. I hope we see some good football this weekend. Since my team is out (and has been), I'm rooting for the Bengals and Broncos to get some Ws.

What bothers me are the people that go out of their way to trash him for no reason. He has never once come out and and said he is the best QB. All he says is that he wants to be out on the field and help his team in whatever capacity that is. When the Jets asked him to the upback on the punt team he gladly did it. The best part is that he hasnt even played QB in a year and his QB skills are coming under fire all the time. Just leave the guy alone. If one of 32 NFL teams think he is the best option to win at QB, then that is between him and the team. He may not be the best QB or even a good QB but he has won at every level. Plus how can you hate a guy that has done nothing but good outside of the game of Football.

What bothers me are the people that go out of their way to trash him for no reason. He has never once come out and and said he is the best QB. All he says is that he wants to be out on the field and help his team in whatever capacity that is. When the Jets asked him to the upback on the punt team he gladly did it. The best part is that he hasnt even played QB in a year and his QB skills are coming under fire all the time. Just leave the guy alone. If one of 32 NFL teams think he is the best option to win at QB, then that is between him and the team. He may not be the best QB or even a good QB but he has won at every level. Plus how can you hate a guy that has done nothing but good outside of the game of Football.

Its like Chutting, haters gonna hate!

He is a brand though, and I think the majority of the haters hate on his 'brand' rather than the man himself. I fit into the line of people that say I'd love to have him marry my daughter, just not be my starting quarterback.

That being said, I'm a Browns fan, and I've often wondered how much better the Browns would be if they just committed to him and his style. Obviously, changing QBs every 2 years like the Browns like to do has not worked.

I love all the coaching changes talk and people like Reid who just got fired and now has probably multiple interviews right away, I bet he gets hired this week!

Ray Lewis reportedly announced his retirement today to the Ravens team, saying "this will be my last ride."

Smalls would you like Andy Reid? Curious what Chiefs fans would think about him in KC. I don't much care for him, but maybe that's because he coached for the Eagles

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Ray Lewis reportedly announced his retirement today to the Ravens team, saying "this will be my last ride."

I saw that. Sort of sad to see him go. He was an awesome LB.

Probably a year overdue.

Other news.. Woodson will be back Saturday for the Pack. He is not the X-Factor to stop Peterson, but I think his presence and leadership could elevate the Defense as a whole.

Smalls would you like Andy Reid? Curious what Chiefs fans would think about him in KC. I don't much care for him, but maybe that's because he coached for the Eagles

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I find it hard to believe any fan of a struggling franchise wouldn't want Reid outside of not liking him.

I find it hard to believe any fan of a struggling franchise wouldn't want Reid outside of not liking him.
Yep.. He's a great coach.. And he knows football.

Even then, he's still a good proven coach, how would you not want him!!!

Browns are in Arizona meeting with Chip Kelly.

I don't think Tebow or Vick want to play in Cleveland!!!

Vick playing In Cleveland a place called the "dog pound". There is a joke there somewhere

Does anyone think the Skins have a chance against Seattle? With there corner coming back I don't like my boys chances but will be rooting for my beloved Skins. RGIII is still not 100% and that's my big worry along with our secondary that is flat atrocious.

Does anyone think the Skins have a chance against Seattle? With there corner coming back I don't like my boys chances but will be rooting for my beloved Skins. RGIII is still not 100% and that's my big worry along with our secondary that is flat atrocious.

I don't see how the Skins can pull this out even if Morris runs for 200 yards, that secondary is going to get chewed up bad by Wilson.

I don't see how the Skins can pull this out even if Morris runs for 200 yards, that secondary is going to get chewed up bad by Wilson.

Never Say Never

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I know you asked Smalls, but I would be ok with it given the alternatives. Koetter is staying in ATL, doesn't sound like we have a chance at Mike McCoy from Denver, etc. If Lovie doesn't get an HC offer, I would welcome him with open arms to be our DC. We don't have the pieces IMO to go to a 4-3 but I have a feeling Lovie could make it work if he wanted it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back