Callaway X-Hot & X-Hot Pro Driver Preview Thread

Right on. Not an entiredly different set up than I've got going. I'm thrilled to have found this thing. I hit a TON of drivers this year, and there was always just something missing from a fitting standpoint, sometimes big and sometimes small.

I know the feeling. I think I've at least tested in a store the majority of big brands out there this year. R1, Adams, 913, G25, RBZ2, RFE, CXL, etc. As much as I love my G25 3w, I was really wanting to love the G25 driver, but it just didn't give me that "Oooooh" feeling when I hit it like the X-Hot/B Asha combo does. The only thing I've found that's close is the J40. As much as I want to get rid of it so it stops making the x-Hot so tempermental, I just can't. Those two drivers duke it out for the main spot in my bag and its really taking a toll on my emotions.

Nice yorkem! How would you describe your ball flight in comparison to the Black? I'm pretty familiar with what you were throwing out there with that.

Can you talk a little bit about your shaft choice? I'm not all that versed on what the Fubuki brings to the table.

I got the Fubuki for a couple of reasons. It was a bit stiffer than the Kusala Blue which I felt at times if I got to quick I lost all control, and it should help me to lower my ball flight a little. The ball flight height has been a bit higher than I had hoped but I think I can make just a couple of minor tweaks (something as simple as teeing it a little lower or moving it back a hair in my stance), but the shape has been awesome. A very gentle fade. Start it up the right side of the fairway and let it fade to the middle. If I get a double cross pull hook, I should still be able to play it (I did it twice this weekend and stayed in play) and if it stays straight I just go up the right side of the fairway. It is a huge difference from last year, plus instead of 230-245 I am seeing things more in line with 250-270 yards and that makes a big difference all around.

I am just amazed at the performance of this driver. I went to GS to hit the Nike Covert Tour, Cobra Amp Cell, Cleveland XL and the X Hot (Kind of). Truthfully, the only reason I even tried the X hot was because of the positive reviews on here. They were so accurate.

Player Brief
Handicap: 17
Driver SS: 95-100
Smooth swing, easy transition.
Driver Combo: 10.5* X Hot with Project X Velocity Stiff.

I went straight from GS to the course, which probably wasn't the best idea. My optimum LM set up seemed to produce pushes or slices on the course. No worries. A large bucket of balls later and this beast turned into a laser. Just accurate and long. Everything was straight or slight draw and I was tagging the back of the range fence at 289. I usually average 260 - 270 yds so this is a big improvement. And my new found confidence with the big stick has led to increased club head speed.

One of my playing partners stopped hitting at the range and just watched me pound the X Hot for a number of shots, he knew right away that the rest of season just got tougher for him :D. My numbers on the LM were great. Numbers don't lie, although I didn't find the trajectory indicated on the LM to be accurate. I also tried regular and stiff of the Project X, stiff got me about 15 more yards with better feel. My SS that day averaged 97.

Great club! Best purchase so far this year!

I really am loving this club, I think everyone who has played with me lately will attest that I don't miss many fairways now and the huge miss is rare. Yesterday I missed 2, Tuesday I missed 3 in 36 holes. Last week at the outing I never missed over 3 in a single round. On Sunday's round I missed 2 only because the fairways had some pretty good contours that carried the drives into bunkers. I don't plan to change drivers for quite a while.

I really am loving this club, I think everyone who has played with me lately will attest that I don't miss many fairways now and the huge miss is rare. Yesterday I missed 2, Tuesday I missed 3 in 36 holes. Last week at the outing I never missed over 3 in a single round. On Sunday's round I missed 2 only because the fairways had some pretty good contours that carried the drives into bunkers. I don't plan to change drivers for quite a while.

Those are pretty amazing numbers for fairways hit. I wouldn't be changing drivers anytime soon either.

FYI for anyone looking to purchase. Just had this email from a dealer I was requesting pricing from. Callaway is starting a $40 instant rebate on the driver on 5/31

*update, just got my new RD catalog and the X-Hots and RAZR Fits are all $50 off May 31-June 23

Last edited:
The first thing that stand out to me on the Xhot pro is the finish Callaway put on the club head. It's almost like a silver pearl finish that blends so well with the deep black face. The next thing that stands out is the sound at impact. It's unlike any driver on the market. A muted ting may be the best way to describe it.

The outward appearance of the club are just that, cosmetic enhancements. The performance is something else entirely. As I have adjusted to the driver, the early tee pickup has become common. As has the soft fade which travels a comfortable 280 off the tee.

Its kind of exciting every time I know I am taking the club out of the bag. There is no last second change of the mind, it's all confidence once it comes out. I know what to expect and I know I'm going to hit my target. These two factors can give anyone confidence which is every golfers 15th club.

Played with Yorkem yesterday. He was bombing the X-Hot driver. Playing a beautiful little fade and he was accurate and long. It was nice to see him full of confidence off the tee box as he has not been that way for a while. He even played a draw on one hole and it was crushed!

Played with Yorkem yesterday. He was bombing the X-Hot driver. Playing a beautiful little fade and he was accurate and long. It was nice to see him full of confidence off the tee box as he has not been that way for a while. He even played a draw on one hole and it was crushed!

I got 2 rounds with him down at Reunion. He hit it well both days, much better than he did the Black driver he played last year.

This driver is my favorite club in the bag and has been for a few weeks now. I just feel like I'm pounding the ball with it and it's really accurate for me. 7/14 FIR today, but two of the misses were holes that I went for the risky shot by cutting the corner and still parred one of them. Sort of ended on a sour note with a couple loose drives, but up until the 16th hole I really hit the hell out of it. Gave myself some good opportunities to hit short irons on the par 4's and pitches into par 5's.

Nice Hawk!

I had an....interesting...time with the XHP setup I rocked last time out. I'll be interested to see how a shaft change will effect it.

I'll say this, these two are STILL without a doubt THE best sounding drivers on the market.

Sexy sounding no doubt. I can't tell you just how fun this driver (and I guess an improved driver swing) makes the game. I'm seeing distances on the course I play most often that I've never seen before. Not internet long by any means, but way out there for me. For the height I get, you'd think I wouldn't get any roll, but even today on a very wet course I was seeing some roll out.

I got 2 rounds with him down at Reunion. He hit it well both days, much better than he did the Black driver he played last year.

I literally feel like I cannot miss with this driver. At worst I am in the first cut, but always in play. Loving this driver.

This driver is my favorite club in the bag and has been for a few weeks now. I just feel like I'm pounding the ball with it and it's really accurate for me. 7/14 FIR today, but two of the misses were holes that I went for the risky shot by cutting the corner and still parred one of them. Sort of ended on a sour note with a couple loose drives, but up until the 16th hole I really hit the hell out of it. Gave myself some good opportunities to hit short irons on the par 4's and pitches into par 5's.

I know exactly what you are saying Hawk. I have had days on the course where I am just pounding the driver in the fairway all day, but from round to round that could change. I feel like I am always at that level with this driver/shaft combination. I really could not be any happier.

Sunday afternoon, par 4 12th at Seminole golf course. Water was 290 out from the green tees. I'll be damned if I'm going to take a penalty when I'm playing by myself on a Sunday night for hitting my driver too well. Stayed right of the water, but then it caught the slope and rolled towards the pond and trickled over the edge of the grass. Probably 295ish.

sxl2e.jpg

Sunday afternoon, par 4 12th at Seminole golf course. Water was 290 out from the green tees. I'll be damned if I'm going to take a penalty when I'm playing by myself on a Sunday night for hitting my driver too well. Stayed right of the water, but then it caught the slope and rolled towards the pond and trickled over the edge of the grass. Probably 295ish.

sxl2e.jpg

That is a heck of a poke, and as long as you are not submitting your score for handicap reasons you can take or not take any penalties you want.

I barely kept score as it is. I was stuck behind a foursome that would dick around until I was pulling up to the tee and rush to get off so I couldn't ask to play through. Then they'd have conferences on the green for each player's putt complete with plumb bobbing and head scratching discussions. I asked my friend via text if it was still considered hitting into them if they all sprayed their drives to another hole and I use the appropriate fairway to go around them.

I barely kept score as it is. I was stuck behind a foursome that would dick around until I was pulling up to the tee and rush to get off so I couldn't ask to play through. Then they'd have conferences on the green for each player's putt complete with plumb bobbing and head scratching discussions. I asked my friend via text if it was still considered hitting into them if they all sprayed their drives to another hole and I use the appropriate fairway to go around them.

That flat out sucks bro. Where is a ranger when you need one? Chunky and I passed one group at the turn while they ate, then played though another at #12, and then another at #14 (#14 was with a little help from the ranger). I hate slow play and loved that even on a holiday weekend the ranger was there to help a fast playing twosome get through some slow playing foursomes

Been skimming thru this thread and have a serious ponder going on for a new driver now.

I used to hit a nice draw with my old FT3 with NVS stiff shaft but had a tendency to turn the draw into a hook or a pull. Switched to the Octane Tour (stock 6.0 shaft) and lost the draw but gained about 10 yards and a slight fade that I can just as easily turn into a push or slice. I really like the ball flight I am getting with my Octane but you guys are talking about confidence when you pull the driver from the bag...I have never experienced that. It's always seemed to be 50/50.

I could definately use a few extra yards but more accuracy/consistency would be even better. The worst part is now I have to go thru all my OCD tendencies again that made my iron selection extremely difficult and exhausting! But for $200 online I guess it is worth it. Looks like a trip to Edwin Watts is in my future and will probably start with the xhot head on the 6.0 xhot pro shaft...and go from there!

Been skimming thru this thread and have a serious ponder going on for a new driver now.

I used to hit a nice draw with my old FT3 with NVS stiff shaft but had a tendency to turn the draw into a hook or a pull. Switched to the Octane Tour (stock 6.0 shaft) and lost the draw but gained about 10 yards and a slight fade that I can just as easily turn into a push or slice. I really like the ball flight I am getting with my Octane but you guys are talking about confidence when you pull the driver from the bag...I have never experienced that. It's always seemed to be 50/50.

I could definately use a few extra yards but more accuracy/consistency would be even better. The worst part is now I have to go thru all my OCD tendencies again that made my iron selection extremely difficult and exhausting! But for $200 online I guess it is worth it. Looks like a trip to Edwin Watts is in my future and will probably start with the xhot head on the 6.0 xhot pro shaft...and go from there!

Do it bro. test it out with a shaft you know works for you and you will be in love quickly.

That flat out sucks bro. Where is a ranger when you need one? Chunky and I passed one group at the turn while they ate, then played though another at #12, and then another at #14 (#14 was with a little help from the ranger). I hate slow play and loved that even on a holiday weekend the ranger was there to help a fast playing twosome get through some slow playing foursomes

It was already 6pm by the time I caught this group on 10. There's one, maybe two, guys left to put the carts away as people come in. I mentioned it after the round and he said to call the clubhouse anyway since they're in and out while they're closing up, hopefully someone would answer. At least he was responsive to the complaint. I should move the rest of this to the rant thread.

Played today and missed 4 FWs but only 2 with the X-Hot, the others were with the 5W and 6I. I missed one FW by 2 yards or less and the other by about 10 yards, I had a lesson with a new instructor last week and he changed my grip, it still feels somewhat strange but I am still able to keep the ball straight for the most part but the draw occasionally turns into a hook, it should be fine by next week.
The Miyazaki C Kua pull from last year's Cleveland Classic is still a great combo for me but with the FWs starting to get firmer with the rainy days pretty much behind us I have an Aldila Phenom coming this week, I am anxious to see how it pairs with the X-Hot head. I will post on this next week.

Played today and missed 4 FWs but only 2 with the X-Hot, the others were with the 5W and 6I. I missed one FW by 2 yards or less and the other by about 10 yards, I had a lesson with a new instructor last week and he changed my grip, it still feels somewhat strange but I am still able to keep the ball straight for the most part but the draw occasionally turns into a hook, it should be fine by next week.
The Miyazaki C Kua pull from last year's Cleveland Classic is still a great combo for me but with the FWs starting to get firmer with the rainy days pretty much behind us I have an Aldila Phenom coming this week, I am anxious to see how it pairs with the X-Hot head. I will post on this next week.

It really is a fairway finder. Unbelievable since it is also quite a bit longer

Do it bro. test it out with a shaft you know works for you and you will be in love quickly.

That is what I am both afraid of and most looking forward to!

Have you ever crushed a can by stomping on it? If you have, then you not the noise it makes and how easy it is. Well the sound of the ball leaving the face of the club is bit like stomping on a can. You have that muffled crunch and no more ball.

Early on in my round when I was swinging easy I saw some glimpses of greatness out of the XhotPro I have in the bag. The greatness was not from center cut bombs but from toe and heal misses. My first seven drives where either on the heal or off the toes. All seven stayed in play and left me with very manageable distances into all the par4s and center cut on both par 5s.

i know once I get this club dialed in it will be a monster off the tee. You can't get the results I did with misses and not have something special in the tank.

Nice. Can't wait til my X-Hot 11.5° gets here. First driver change for me since I got the Z-Star way back in 2010 (also on recommendations from THP folks!).

My X Hot Pro arrived today and while I was only able to take it to the range so I have no real idea of how far it was going, my initial thoughts are wow this thing is long and wow this thing is super easy to hit. I saw piercing ball flight with a consistent, controlled draw. Only my first range session, but the combination of distance (from what I could tell) and accuracy is something I have not seen in a long time.

Back