Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With Monty making his announcement in a couple of minutes, it seems like the right time to have the official THP Ryder Cup thread. This will be for all the wonderful banter on this amazing event.

• Admin
Monty makes his picks.

Luke Donald
Paddy Harrington
Molinari

Not Paul Casey and no Justin Rose

And he names Sergio Garcia the 4th Vice Captain

Last edited:
Sergio as vice captain

The molinari duo will be intense!

Donald has a great record in the Ryder, but why leave Rose out? I would think him a better pick than Paddy, IMHO.

• Admin
Donald has a great record in the Ryder, but why leave Rose out? I would think him a better pick than Paddy, IMHO.

Certainly there is the argument there. It really comes down to Paddy being a major winner, and being the best putter out there for that team.

Rose's record in the majors did not help either. But you are right, there is certainly an argument there. Plus, could you imagine if he wins today.

This goes back to my thoughts before. WHY NOT WAIT FOR THE BARCLAYS TO END?

no matter what Monty will be second guessed. Europe has a lot of players playing well this year so it was tough no matter what.

Certainly there is the argument there. It really comes down to Paddy being a major winner, and being the best putter out there for that team.

Rose's record in the majors did not help either. But you are right, there is certainly an argument there. Plus, could you imagine if he wins today.

This goes back to my thoughts before. WHY NOT WAIT FOR THE BARCLAYS TO END?

Now that you mention it, why on earth wouldn't Monty wait for the end of this tournament? Was he on some kind of deadline?

• Admin
Now that you mention it, why on earth wouldn't Monty wait for the end of this tournament? Was he on some kind of deadline?

Nope, not that anybody has said. There are quite a few opinions on the matter.

I think Monty said something early on that either implied or just plain said that the only weekend results that he would consider relevant from the perspective of his choice would be results from the Walker. From that we could assume that Harrington's performance at the Barclays to this point did not figure into his choice one way or the other and same for Rose I guess.

I think the quote was "If they are not here [at the Walker] they won't be considered". I don't know why Monty would play it that way but that is what was reported from the Golf Channel on Friday.

I think Monty said something early on that either implied or just plain said that the only weekend results that he would consider relevant from the perspective of his choice would be results from the Walker. From that we could assume that Harrington's performance at the Barclays to this point did not figure into his choice one way or the other and same for Rose I guess.

I think the quote was "If they are not here [at the Walker] they won't be considered". I don't know why Monty would play it that way but that is what was reported from the Golf Channel on Friday.

He has said that and did make that clear. But again, Monday or Tuesday are AFTER the Barclays too. There was just no reason for it now...Other than the obvious.

Understood JB...seems particularely uncalled for while the Barclays was still underway. Like you said though...maybe it is just that obvious. Now I even wonder if his early comments about the relevance of Barclay results amount to a calculated set up for what was coming.

I would think you would pick who you think is going to help your team win the RC, not whether or not they showed up at the Walker.

If he was going to wait until after the Barclay's was done, he would have had to announce it tomorrow, no way he could have done with later today at the end of the Barclay's since it would have been midnight or 1 AM over in the UK at that time. Pavin's announcement will come on the day after the Deutsche Bank Championship, which is probably how Monty should have done it.

As for the suggestion that the captain's announce their picks at the same time, no chance of that happening because how would they ever decide which continent to announce it on? I guess you could do it at the site of the matches a month ahead of time or something like that, but nothing in golf is that easy, the European Tour and PGA would fight it out to no end.

One other thing: The current European setup is 4 guys from a "world" points list, 5 guys from the European Tour, and 3 captain's picks. If they lose in Wales to a team with 4 captain's picks, watch the next European RC captain argue that the team should be 4 captain's picks and only 4 guys from the European Tour. It would be a hard sell for the European Tour, but if that was the setup this year, either Casey or Rose would be on the team instead of Peter Hanson. Hanson has had a pretty good year on the European Tour, but Casey and Rose are better players than him.

I kind of like Montys picks. Molinari has played very nicely this year. Paddy is a pressure putter(though didn't do so well last Ryder Cup), and Luke Donald is pretty steady. Leaving off Rose and Casey had to be tough. However remember Faldo wasn't viewed kindly when he took Poulter in 08, and he turned out to be the best player for the European team

Interesting stats.

Paddy - No wins in the last 2 years. 0 for 10 in last 10 Ryder Cup Matches.

Paul Casey top 10 in the world, but not top 12 in the Euro Team?

Justin Rose has 2 wins this year in good fields.

I ws hoping Justin Rose would make the team. He has been quite consistent, and a winner on tour this year. I think Monty will second guess the Paddy pick.

Interesting stats.

Paddy - No wins in the last 2 years. 0 for 10 in last 10 Ryder Cup Matches.

Paul Casey top 10 in the world, but not top 12 in the Euro Team?

Justin Rose has 2 wins this year in good fields.
I definitely expected one of Casey or Rose to make the team.

That was just horrible timing to tell some of these guy's they were in and some were out during a tournament. These guys had a lot of money on the line here, yet the Ryder Cups a hugh deal to them.

I love it, we're talking Ryder Cup, my favorite sporting event of all time! I like Monty's picks for the Euro squad, I mean obviously I don't like them from the standpoint that it will make the Euro team very difficult to bet but Molinari is a great addition and having his brother on there already just makes a great deal of sense. I imagine those Molinari boys have been dreaming about this becoming a reality for a number of years as they were growing up, should make for a great team together. As for Harrington over Rose, I can understand that one but the one that makes me wonder is leaving off Paul Casey. Someone above said that regardless of what he did Monty would be second guessed so we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Just over 1 week until Corey Pavin makes his final 4 picks, I think Tiger's good week at the Barclays has all but locked him in, if he plays even half decent next week he's a shoe in. I'm torn in all different directions on who I'd like to see Pavin take, you'd think that Zach Johnson would be selected too, from there who knows. I want Anthony Kim to make it because I think he's a stud in Ryder Cup play and I also think that he wants to be on that team just a little more than anyone else on the list, sure they all want it but he got his wrist fixed all with getting healed up in time for this event. The kicker is that AK has played like poop since coming back and I think that based on his play as of late he should not be picked. I really want Stewart Cink on the team too and am pretty sure that Pavin would take him, the last spot...Lucas Glover maybe? Not really sure, Bo Van Pelt is way up there in the rankings and he's been playing decent lately but he would be a rookie and that is always a big question mark. I actually would like to see Rickie Fowler make the team, if he were to nail a big finish next week he just might slide in. So I will go on record (at least this week :wink:) and say that the picks are going to be Tiger, Zach Johnson, Stewart Cink, and Lucas Glover. We'll see, I'll probably go 0-4 on that one!

That was just horrible timing to tell some of these guy's they were in and some were out during a tournament. These guys had a lot of money on the line here, yet the Ryder Cups a hugh deal to them.

They should have played themselves onto the team, instead of being a captain's pick option. Also, Monty was very clear about playing in a PGA event vs the Euro event. IMO, Casey, Donald and Rose clearly showed that they consider the Fedex Race to be a higher priority than the Ryder Cup.

They should have played themselves onto the team, instead of being a captain's pick option. Also, Monty was very clear about playing in a PGA event vs the Euro event. IMO, Casey, Donald and Rose clearly showed that they consider the Fedex Race to be a higher priority than the Ryder Cup.

I dont necessarily agree with that. They are professional golfers. The PGA Tour is the highest level and highest paying tour there is right now. It happens to be the Playoffs of said tour. There is no reason Monty could not wait until Monday or Tuesday except to throw it in their faces and say "You should be playing here".

And if he felt so strongly about it, he should have left Luke and Paddy off too.

Perhaps they should just make it Euro Tour vs PGA Tour....Since most of the top line players play full PGA Tour events and live in the US full time.

He still picked Luke and what's one more day's wait? My guess is that he made a couple very unhappy people, lets see how that future works out for him.

Colin Montgomery is as bad at picking Ryder Cup participants as he is at winning Majors!!!!! :laughing: What a flipping idiot! :laughing: I mean seriously, there is NO and I mean NOOOOO justification for leaving Casey or Rose off this team; leaving them both off earns him an immediate all-expense paid trip to the insane asylum.

I'll say it again in case anyone didn't catch my point -

WHAT A MORON!!!!!!!!!!!
:laughing:

Back