Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Because part of his roster was competing in a very large event over here and it could have affected the outcome of said tourney. There was no reason for it. It could have been announced today with the same hoopla. It would have still been at the conclusion of the Walker. Could you imagine if Justin Rose would have won yesterday. You would have a guy with 3 wins. There was NO reason not to wait other than to say "that event does not matter and you guys should be playing here". Its his choice and he made it obviously.

But lets think back a little bit. Remember another pretty big announcement involving a pretty good golfer that took place during a PGA Tour event. He got blasted because he could of or should of waited until the thing was over.

While this was and is a very different case. There was just no need to do it when part of your team was still competing.

yeah, those are all good points and i agree completely with your comparison. i guess monty has his reason's and let's just hope that he uses these sort of tactics during the RC, should equal a shallacking for us!!

Yeah. His focus was the euro event, and he made that clear. Concluding the euro event, he announced them. I dont think he should get nailed for that. Especially because some people were playing in another golf tournament a million miles away, IMO

Hope its not during a euro tour event!

Seems a bit contradictory here, but Pavins pick if during a Euro event wouldn't make any difference because non of our players would be there! Monty just wanted to get a jab in.

It was contradictory. The second line was completely sarcastic.
Seems a bit contradictory here, but Pavins pick if during a Euro event wouldn't make any difference because non of our players would be there! Monty just wanted to get a jab in.

This is all well thought-out and serious. I'm disappointed in you guys so far! :wink:

So I shall say....

Monty's a genius. His timing didn't adversely impact on anyone on our team, but it got the US guys ruffled. A first blow in the battle of wits! :D

He is there to assist with putting.

So he is going to caddy for them in the singles matches?

Paddy the caddy has a nice ring to it.

This is all well thought-out and serious. I'm disappointed in you guys so far! :wink:

So I shall say....

Monty's a genius. His timing didn't adversely impact on anyone on our team, but it got the US guys ruffled. A first blow in the battle of wits! :D

Unless of course Mooby cant play then you get the guy that was thrown back during the playoffs on your team. Nice Play Mrs. Doubtfire.

Except that Luke Donald shot a 28 on the front, 2 shots within the lead, learned that he was on the team heading to ten, and bogeyed the next two holes. It threw him off, he even said so.

Compare Lukes front and back 9.

So I shall say....

Except that Luke Donald shot a 28 on the front, 2 shots within the lead, learned that he was on the team heading to ten, and bogeyed the next two holes. It threw him off, he even said so.

Compare Lukes front and back 9.

Knew he didn't need to win to get in. Ease off and keep the fire for the singles! :D

(btw, I agree on the timing thing, strange stuff)

the funny thing is that i can agree with arguements from both sides here. i kind of understand why monty made the announcement when he did, and i kind of don't. what's awesome is that there's still a good month and a bit before the RC kicks off and we're already off to some awesome drama.

let's talk US team for a minute. personally, i don't want tiger on this team. he's way to hit or miss right now and i think he'd be a detriment in the locker room and with morale. i'd also like to see rickie fowler get the nod, he seems like he would be easy to pair with anyone and his walker cup record was outstanding.

I dont blame monty though, I blame luke. Something similar as not looking at a leaderboard coming down the stretch.
Knew he didn't need to win to get in. Ease off and keep the fire for the singles! :D

(btw, I agree on the timing thing, strange stuff)

the funny thing is that i can agree with arguements from both sides here. i kind of understand why monty made the announcement when he did, and i kind of don't. what's awesome is that there's still a good month and a bit before the RC kicks off and we're already off to some awesome drama.

let's talk US team for a minute. personally, i don't want tiger on this team. he's way to hit or miss right now and i think he'd be a detriment in the locker room and with morale. i'd also like to see rickie fowler get the nod, he seems like he would be easy to pair with anyone and his walker cup record was outstanding.

How would you feel if tiger performed very well throughout the rest of the playoffs?

+1 on leaving Tiger off. Give it to someone who has played more consistently and even more potential. I think a Tiger-less Ryder Cup team could be huge for golf of the US wins. So much attention and credibility to the 'young generation' coming up throught the ranks

I'm with you tc, Rickie Fowler would come into the Ryder Cup absolutely ECSTATIC to be there. Plus he just seems to me to be a lot like AK was in his first Ryder Cup 2 yrs ago, just a young fired up world beater!

I don't see Tiger being left out unless he comes out and says he doesn't want considered for a pick, for the good of the team.

I don't see Tiger being left out unless he comes out and says he doesn't want considered for a pick, for the good of the team.

Agreed

I want Tiger on the team. I thought overall he looked pretty good this weekend. Was 1st in Driving Accuracy, 6th in Greens in Regulation. I can't wait to see what he does this weekend in Boston. Unfortunately I will be camping for the weekend so I won't be able to follow closely

I'm not sure if Tiger is "back" and I'm not sure if he would help the team out. He had two good rounds this past weekend with 2 bad ones (from what I saw). His stats overall were good and he finished well but I really see his place on the team a bigger distraction than help.

If he were to be on the team all we would hear about is his play, is he back... etc. That is all we hear now but during the Ryder Cup I would hope more focus would be on the team aspect. Certainly not gonna happen if El Tigre is there. I like watching the guy play as much as the next person but I don't see how his current play would be close to justifying the distraction he would bring. If his play was what it was before he took a little dive then it would be a no brainer I would think.

How would you feel if tiger performed very well throughout the rest of the playoffs?

i would remain under the same mindset. i like tiger, wish he was his dominate self but he's not. he shot two rounds in the 60's over the weekend and they were the first two rounds in the 60's for him in a competitive round in a LONG time. i'm more concerned about his putting than fwys hit and girs....especially in the RC. he just isn't scoring well enough imo to do significant damage.

however, i'm also worried about phil. something doesn't seem to be right with him and i'm afraid that his arthritis might be worse than he leads on.

Unless Tiger bombs this week in Boston and fails to advance in the playoffs, he is on this team and he absolutely should be. This week Phil Mickleson missed the cut and looked horrible doing it. Frankly, he's been inconsistent and looked pretty bad since Augusta, but noone here would consider leaving Phil off the team. Tiger was in a field with the top 125 players on the U.S. tour this week and beat all but 11 of them (playing poorly two of the days).

I'm not sure why noone (fans, golf commentators, etc.) seems to realize or remember this, but this guy had the worst year of his life, has played in just 10 events total this year came into Augusta having not played in 6 months, and was in contention in 3 of the 4 majors!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, in the 4th major he was coming off the worst week in his professional career at Firestone and recovered enough in 3 days to make the cut. Everybody talks about him being a grinder over a tough putt or whatever - this entire season has been the definition of "grinder" and incredibly impressive if you step back and look at it from a distance.

There's no way this guy doesn't come ready to compete for the Ryder cup - he's competed in all the other majors this year. Almost noone else on either team will be able to claim making all 4 cuts at the majors!

Unless Tiger bombs this week in Boston and fails to advance in the playoffs, he is on this team and he absolutely should be. This week Phil Mickleson missed the cut and looked horrible doing it. Frankly, he's been inconsistent and looked pretty bad since Augusta, but noone here would consider leaving Phil off the team. Tiger was in a field with the top 125 players on the U.S. tour this week and beat all but 11 of them (playing poorly two of the days).

Sure they would. But you cant....HE QUALIFIED. Just like Peter H did for the Euros. Very different situation.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Monty's quote about Paddy being someone nobody want to play in match play situations? In regular play he's not won in two years and the last two rc's he's made a total of like 1 point.

I'm not too crazy about Tiger in this either, but Ricky Fowler could go either way. My guess is that they would pair him against Rory every chance they got and on Euro soil I'm not sure thats a good idea.

If I was Peter H, i would wonder whether it would be best for my team to step off.....

I wouldn't think that at all...If I was him I would think...I won twice this year, I deserve to be here.

Unlike Oliver Wilson who hadn't won but was on the 08 squad

Back