Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

You'd think one Molinari would be enough Molinaris, and who needs a Donald when you can have a Casey and a Rose.

I think Mrs. Doubtfire whacked a couple out of bounds with these picks.

Kevin

I bet he had Paul Casey over Luke Donald going into todays round. After Luke goes -6 through 6, PC is gone with the stroke of a pen.

I wouldn't say they are awful picks. Luke Donald has only lost once in his Ryder Cup career(7 matches). Molinari has had 2 wins and a 3rd since the beginning of July. Harrington is the one I'd question, but like I said in an earlier post, Faldo was said to make a mistake with Poulter, and he was the best they had that week in 08. I think the European team is strong.

I read he spoke to Justin Rose before Rose teed off this morning, but he hadn't talked to Paul Casey

man, i think that monty's picks were pretty solid. the molinari bros will be lethal playing together (they won the world cup), donald's record in the RC is phenomenal, and paddy is a multiple major winner, a leader, a veteran, and a good putter. i hate it for casey and rose but they should have never left themselves in this position.

not sure why it was announced in the middle of today's round, but whatever.

can't wait to see who pavin slaps on our team. i believe he'll go with experience, especially b/c the euros are loaded with so many first timers.

I know this has been said but I feel awful for Paul Casey not making the team. I would have thought he was a lock.

Hello! Paul Casey is the #9 ranked player in the world. I don't know (nor do I care!) what Europe's qualification standards are, there is no way you can leave either of these guys off this team. Paddy's got an atrocious Ryder Cup record, how could anyone consider that a strong pick?!?!?

Hello! Paul Casey is the #9 ranked player in the world. I don't know (nor do I care!) what Europe's qualification standards are, there is no way you can leave either of these guys off this team. Paddy's got an atrocious Ryder Cup record, how could anyone consider that a strong pick?!?!?

Perhaps having a three time major winner in the dressing room could possibly, maybe, just about, be a good influence on some of the other players? Settle a few nerves with his amicable nature and humour? Hole a few big putts at important times, because that's what major winners do?
Besides that, who'd want to play against Padrtaig Harrington, a three time major winner and possibly one of the most loved European players, on European home soil?

As for the team, I can see the argument for Casey, but if I was the captain, I wouldn't have Rose on there either. I think the team is strong, and I like the look of both the qualifiers and the picks.

Maybe if some of theses guys had come over and played in and performed better in Europes flagship events they would have been in that position.Rose won the EOM only playing 11 events a couple of seasons back.
With regards to the picks Molinari I 100% agree with, Donald ok he played in a few events over here and has got a good record + he's going to hit fairway and greens all day, Harrington is the one that sticks in my head I think i would have picked Casey but he does have the bottle while Casey seems to wither away on the final day in Majors so maybe that's Monty's thinking.
Anyhow regardless Europe have a very strong team,my concern for the US would be who to pick as nobody outside the qualifiers is setting the world alight with form. (Please pick Tiger)

I've had time to think about it, and I can see the sense in the picks. I don't think anyone would fancy playing against the Molinaris. These guys have got to be stoked and have already proved how strong they are together.

Donald is a very solid matchplay player. It's tough to play someone who hits fairways and greens with such regularity. I don't think there's any way Harrington would be overlooked. We need that experience on the team.

I think Casey will be wishing he took the trip to Gleneagles. I think he's very unlucky to miss out, and Peter Hanson is the fly in the ointment, but if he wanted it bad enough, he would have been in Scotland this week. I'm still not sure how I feel about Monty making that so clear. Does it hurt the team? Again unsure, since the picks are solid.

I think Casey will be wishing he took the trip to Gleneagles. I think he's very unlucky to miss out, and Peter Hanson is the fly in the ointment, but if he wanted it bad enough, he would have been in Scotland this week. I'm still not sure how I feel about Monty making that so clear. Does it hurt the team? Again unsure, since the picks are solid.

Picks are solid, you are right, but Monty should not be doing what he is doing to make a point. If the Euro Tour was stronger, had more prize money, etc... these guys would not be playing on the PGA Tour. And its the PLAYOFFS!

As for the guy that said "gee i dont know, multiple major winner, etc..." None of that resume has helped him over the last 2 years or his last 10 Ryder Cup matches. Being a legend is a great thing when you are current. He is no where near current and robbed Paul Casey of a spot. Top 10 in the world but not on the Euro Team. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Monty was trying to make a point and make a dig at the guys that play on the PGA Tour. They also live here full time, so maybe that is a problem for him as well. But dont give me that excuse that if they wanted it, they would have been there. Because PADDY WASNT THERE EITHER!

Him making picks today affected competition. That should never happen.

Picks are solid, you are right, but Monty should not be doing what he is doing to make a point. If the Euro Tour was stronger, had more prize money, etc... these guys would not be playing on the PGA Tour. And its the PLAYOFFS!

As for the guy that said "gee i dont know, multiple major winner, etc..." None of that resume has helped him over the last 2 years or his last 10 Ryder Cup matches. Being a legend is a great thing when you are current. He is no where near current and robbed Paul Casey of a spot. Top 10 in the world but not on the Euro Team. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Monty was trying to make a point and make a dig at the guys that play on the PGA Tour. They also live here full time, so maybe that is a problem for him as well. But dont give me that excuse that if they wanted it, they would have been there. Because PADDY WASNT THERE EITHER!

Good points. I'm uncomfortable about the way it's been done. Monty had plenty of time to communicate with the guys round about the cut line. He didn't seem to really do that. I don't know why it's Casey in particular being villified for this, as he was the most unlucky to drop out. I do understand Paddy's inclusion though. We need that extra experience in the team. There's 5 first timers out there and things might get a little tough. His character can help them through. This might be a case of picking someone for the team games instead of the singles.

Another thing. Rose was informed before he went out yesterday, because he'll be filling Westwood's spot if he doesn't recover (not much chance imo). As far as I understand, Rose isn't the next in line on the qualification spots (or wasn't at the time), and Westwood is a qualifier. So, why would this allow another pick, instead of just bumping up no 10 on the list into a qualification spot?

IMHO Bernhard Langer would have been a good choice. He's been playing very well this season. He's won 21 RC matches, second only to Faldo and Palmer. And I think he would be a good influence on the team.

Good points. I'm uncomfortable about the way it's been done. Monty had plenty of time to communicate with the guys round about the cut line. He didn't seem to really do that. I don't know why it's Casey in particular being villified for this, as he was the most unlucky to drop out. I do understand Paddy's inclusion though. We need that extra experience in the team. There's 5 first timers out there and things might get a little tough. His character can help them through. This might be a case of picking someone for the team games instead of the singles.

Another thing. Rose was informed before he went out yesterday, because he'll be filling Westwood's spot if he doesn't recover (not much chance imo). As far as I understand, Rose isn't the next in line on the qualification spots (or wasn't at the time), and Westwood is a qualifier. So, why would this allow another pick, instead of just bumping up no 10 on the list into a qualification spot?

I agree. I have less of a problem with picks as I do when the picks were made.

I certainly have all the respect in the world for Paul Casey as a competitor and person. He handled the whole situation with an incredible amount of class and while the guy always stood out to me as a rather quiet, great player, he is now a fan for me to pull for. (Just not in Ryder Cups, lol).

i think the most interesting news from yesterday is that sergio is gonna be a vice captain! my how the tide has turned. maybe this is precisely what he needs? he'll definitely bring some emotion and some intensity, but i can't help but wonder if he'll just feel wierd about his role....i know i would. kinda like being asked to be the manager of the varsity basketball team when you just don't make the team.

Why are we talking about major wins? How is that at ALL relevant to the ryder cup?

Let's look at the captian himself. 20-9-7 in the ryder cup, never lost a singles match. ZERO majors. I fail to see how someone having won majors is of any benefit in a match play setting like the Ryder cup. It is a different type of golf than stroke play majors. Are you concerned about the youth? This would have been paul casey's 4th ryder cup. Thats experience if you ask me. Celtic Manor? Casey finished 2nd (in a playoff) at Celtic Manor in 2004 so he knows the course and plays it well. Not to mention finishing 2nd in the match play championships 2 years in a row.

i think the most interesting news from yesterday is that sergio is gonna be a vice captain! my how the tide has turned. maybe this is precisely what he needs? he'll definitely bring some emotion and some intensity, but i can't help but wonder if he'll just feel wierd about his role....i know i would. kinda like being asked to be the manager of the varsity basketball team when you just don't make the team.

He is there to assist with putting.

Great post, right on the money (or Euro in this case)

Him making picks today affected competition. That should never happen.

i don't see why it's such a big deal why or when monty made his announcement. perhaps he had something planned for today, perhaps he wanted to announce it to see how certain guys would respond. i don't find it ironic that he announced it after the conclusion of the johnny walker, afterall, the RC in europe is a much bigger to-do than it is here in the states. it makes perfectly good sense to me.

Yeah. His focus was the euro event, and he made that clear. Concluding the euro event, he announced them. I dont think he should get nailed for that. Especially because some people were playing in another golf tournament a million miles away, IMO
i don't see why it's such a big deal why or when monty made his announcement. perhaps he had something planned for today, perhaps he wanted to announce it to see how certain guys would respond. i don't find it ironic that he announced it after the conclusion of the johnny walker, afterall, the RC in europe is a much bigger to-do than it is here in the states. it makes perfectly good sense to me.

Why are we talking about major wins? How is that at ALL relevant to the ryder cup?

Let's look at the captian himself. 20-9-7 in the ryder cup, never lost a singles match. ZERO majors. I fail to see how someone having won majors is of any benefit in a match play setting like the Ryder cup. It is a different type of golf than stroke play majors. Are you concerned about the youth? This would have been paul casey's 4th ryder cup. Thats experience if you ask me. Celtic Manor? Casey finished 2nd (in a playoff) at Celtic Manor in 2004 so he knows the course and plays it well. Not to mention finishing 2nd in the match play championships 2 years in a row.

It's relevant because of the amount of pressure you have to handle to close out a match like that. It's a completely different type of golf, granted, but the pressure over a decisive putt won't be too dissimilar. As I said, I think Paddy's been picked as a partner in a team, with an eye on the foursomes. Although, I remember Casey being pretty awesome in the foursomes too.

Casey should be there, in my opinion. And you're right, he has the experience, but as a whole, I think the team would defer to Paddy before they would Paul.

The qualifying system isn't right at all, and it's madness that a world top-10 player doesn't qualify for our team. I don't think either side would mind having a player of Casey's stature on their team.

Luke Donald agrees.....almost what JB has been saying.

"The European Tour has to look harder at the system," said Donald.

"I understand they want to protect the European Tour but at the same time the top guys are going to want to play against the best players in the world and you shouldn't be penalised for that."

So when does Pavin make his captain's picks?

Because part of his roster was competing in a very large event over here and it could have affected the outcome of said tourney. There was no reason for it. It could have been announced today with the same hoopla. It would have still been at the conclusion of the Walker. Could you imagine if Justin Rose would have won yesterday. You would have a guy with 3 wins. There was NO reason not to wait other than to say "that event does not matter and you guys should be playing here". Its his choice and he made it obviously.

But lets think back a little bit. Remember another pretty big announcement involving a pretty good golfer that took place during a PGA Tour event. He got blasted because he could of or should of waited until the thing was over.

While this was and is a very different case. There was just no need to do it when part of your team was still competing.

Back