TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Excellent round G4L, you've got to be just super excited by the hardcore results (scores) like that. Keep it going pal!
Thanks. I am indeed super excited. Looking forward to your results with the MBs too!

wow nice round! I think you are on to something about taking an extra club and not going hard at it. Weather permitting I will try to get down your way in the next week or 2 and hopefully get on a course with these bad boys.

Sounds good, hope you can make it down!

G4L
I can't believe the results that you are getting on the score card and with GIR.

What were your GIR averages last year?

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

I tried a little experiment today. My body is super tired and there is no way I was going to hit a golf ball well. It was the perfect time to test forgiveness on mishits. I took my Diablo Forged 6 iron and the MC 6 iron out to the range.

First, let me start by saying that I think that the Diablo Forged irons are absolutely fantastic irons and I absolutely love them, but I am finding more and more that my affections for the TM Forged MC's are dwarfing my love for the Diablo Forged irons. Anyway, back to the little test I did today.

I got out to the range and I was absolutely right, I was hitting my irons terribly, but my mishits drifted less offline with the MC's than did the DF's. The MC's just felt more smooth through the swing than did the DF's and that is saying something because the DF's are already pretty smooth. For me, I feel that I would have scored better with the MC's on a bad iron day like today. My miss was towards the heel. Distances on mishits between the clubs was about the same with a possible edge going towards the Diablo Forged irons, but like I said, the MC's kept their line a little better. The edge also goes to the MC's on feel when mishits occur. The DF's feel wonderful when the ball is struck properly and terrible when the ball is mishit. The MC's feel wonderful when the ball is struck properly and they still feel decent when a poor strike happens. That is, I have never felt a club that still felt smooth on a mishit.

That is all I have for now. I have to go cook supper. Any questions?

Great job on the reviews everyone, this was fun to catch up on. Something I would like to hear as everyone starts getting really used to their new clubs, do you feel these actually helped lower your scores/HC?

G4L
I can't believe the results that you are getting on the score card and with GIR.

What were your GIR averages last year?

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

I can't believe it either Rx. Just checked OOB, and my GIRS last year were sitting around 38%, so obviously the last couple rounds were a huge step up there.

Great job on the reviews everyone, this was fun to catch up on. Something I would like to hear as everyone starts getting really used to their new clubs, do you feel these actually helped lower your scores/HC?

Due, so far after 2 rounds, the evidence is pointing to a big ol' Yes, they are helping to improve my scores. I think its way to early to firmly conclude that the irons are magic, but to this point the signs are encouraging.

Setho, I have a question: did you get the S300 XP shafts in your MC's or just the S300's?

You say that the MC's feel smoother through your swing, you think that's b/c they may be lighter than the shafts in your DF's, or does the headweight between the two irons feel different?

Great to hear G4L. Your results so far are outstanding.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

While I didn't get a chance to hit these today, I did pull them out and give them several good swings in my living room vs my old RACs.

I know I have mentioned it before but I continue to be impressed with the balance of these irons. I can not describe just how well these respond to small manipulations of the club face. I was struggling this weekend with loosing balls to the right and I have been working on hitting the correct swing positions- it's amazing to me how much easier these were to "practice" with than my old irons. More and more I am buying into the idea of the weight centering the "excess" weight around the perimeter and directly behind the sweet spot.

I am going to play a round on a simulator tomorrow so I'll have a much better idea how my practice session tonight went, but I have a lot of confidence in these irons! Boy, I never thought I would type that.

I would also be remiss to not mention this story from the weekend in Georgia. There was a double dogleg (left then right) par 5. I hit a thin drive the ended me up nearly through the corner of the dogleg. I had 270 and all downhill and I pulled my 3h to lay up down the middle. I made a pretty poor swing at it and ended up putting the ball on the edge of the woods bordering the right of the hole. Since I coped out of hitting the 3I, I decided I owed to the fine readers here to at least give it a try. I dropped a second ball and BOOM. Arrow straight and almost 30 yards further than my 3h. These long irons are VERY hittable. My new goal: learn how to hit the long irons! Even though I have my mashies now, it would be nice to have the flexibility to play a true iron if I needed to bag them.

All these great reviewsisimple CANNOT waitfordemoday, you'll know who i am, probably the first or second in line lol

All these great reviewsisimple CANNOT waitfordemoday, you'll know who i am, probably the first or second in line lol

You will get to hit mine LONG before demo-day dude!

Nice thoughts gus, impressive hit with a 3 iron for sure.

Setho, I have a question: did you get the S300 XP shafts in your MC's or just the S300's?

You say that the MC's feel smoother through your swing, you think that's b/c they may be lighter than the shafts in your DF's, or does the headweight between the two irons feel different?

Great question. I got the S300's in the MC's and I have S400's in the DF's. The different shaft weights could be a part of it, but when I waggle the clubs around, the MC's feel more balanced. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be the weight in the back that kind of balances it out. I was a bit worried about it before I got the clubs because you always hear of perimiter weighting and how it increases forgiveness, but when I swing these irons, the weighting just feels so balanced. I honestly didn't want to swing my old irons when I took both of them out. I hit some good shots with both irons, but I just enjoyed hitting the MC's more. This is saying a lot because I absolutely loved my Diablo Forged irons and they are still great irons, but I am liking the MC's much more.

Great question. I got the S300's in the MC's and I have S400's in the DF's. The different shaft weights could be a part of it, but when I waggle the clubs around, the MC's feel more balanced. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be the weight in the back that kind of balances it out. I was a bit worried about it before I got the clubs because you always hear of perimiter weighting and how it increases forgiveness, but when I swing these irons, the weighting just feels so balanced. I honestly didn't want to swing my old irons when I took both of them out. I hit some good shots with both irons, but I just enjoyed hitting the MC's more. This is saying a lot because I absolutely loved my Diablo Forged irons and they are still great irons, but I am liking the MC's much more.

Yeah, that is saying a lot....I'm kind of shocked to tell you the truth but in a good way. I have had the chance to put my hands on the CB's with the S300 XP's and I love how light/soft they feel. Thanks for your thoughts and answer.

STAND BACK! I am going to try SCIENCE!

I think there are two things going on here.

1. The club does have significant perimeter weighting. Looking around the cavity, the badge adds very little weight and the outside weighting of the club seems pretty formidable.

2. As it was explained to me- even after the club is designed for perimeter weighting the swing weights don't always match club to club (different amounts of metal in a 3i and a 7i, not to mention different lengths). So, in order to balance the swing weight, companies need to add a certain amount of weight to each iron to match the set and more often than not this is added to the hosel area on each iron (I don't have a source for this information, it is only how the guy at golftec explained it to me... If I am wrong I would love to be corrected!). Instead of doing that, TM put that extra weight back on the club through the weight ports and placed it directly behind the COG. This would allow for a much more balanced club because the extra weight is easily manipulated when it is on the COG.

I think it is a combination of these two features that accounts for the feeling we are trying to describe. It is a perimeter weighted/forgiving club with the "extra" weight put right on the COG making for both a forgiving and workable iron.

1. The club does have significant perimeter weighting. Looking around the cavity, the badge adds very little weight and the outside weighting of the club seems pretty formidable.

2. As it was explained to me- even after the club is designed for perimeter weighting the swing weights don't always match club to club (different amounts of metal in a 3i and a 7i, not to mention different lengths). So, in order to balance the swing weight, companies need to add a certain amount of weight to each iron to match the set and more often than not this is added to the hosel area on each iron (I don't have a source for this information, it is only how the guy at golftec explained it to me... If I am wrong I would love to be corrected!). Instead of doing that, TM put that extra weight back on the club through the weight ports and placed it directly behind the COG. This would allow for a much more balanced club because the extra weight is easily manipulated when it is on the COG.

I think it is a combination of these two features that accounts for the feeling we are trying to describe. It is a perimeter weighted/forgiving club with the "extra" weight put right on the COG making for both a forgiving and workable iron.

Fantastic post! This would probably explain why I have the tendencie to hit a hook as my miss with the DF's. That weight in the hosel would make it slightly draw biased.

Fantastic post! This would probably explain why I have the tendencie to hit a hook as my miss with the DF's. That weight in the hosel would make it slightly draw biased.

a draw biased club would make it a pretty workable club

a draw biased club would make it a pretty workable club

I agree unless you are trying to work a fade. I struggled doing that with the DF's. I can do it easier with the MC's, but I still am not good enough with it to use it on the course. It is something I am going to practice for sure. I never struggled hitting a controled draw with the DF's, but a fade was very hard for me. That has not been the case so far with the MC's. I have only done it on the range though. I have not hit myself into a trouble situation where I was even tempted to attempt a cut on the course and if I were, I would probably play a safety just to stay out of trouble and avoid the big number.

she blinded me...with science!

Great post Gus! Sounds like TM really has all of its forged lineup perfectly balanced

I agree unless you are trying to work a fade. I struggled doing that with the DF's. I can do it easier with the MC's, but I still am not good enough with it to use it on the course. It is something I am going to practice for sure. I never struggled hitting a controled draw with the DF's, but a fade was very hard for me. That has not been the case so far with the MC's. I have only done it on the range though. I have not hit myself into a trouble situation where I was even tempted to attempt a cut on the course and if I were, I would probably play a safety just to stay out of trouble and avoid the big number.

I think its prettty impressive that you are working a controlled fade and draw with the MC's. very cool, glad your liking them

I think its prettty impressive that you are working a controlled fade and draw with the MC's. very cool, glad your liking them

Thanks man. I should mention that the fade is not reliable because I never could hit one, but it is a shot that I am really working on at the range and I am seeing better results than I have ever seen before. With a little more practice, it will be a shot that I am comfortable enough with to put it in my bag for the course. I rarely try to work the ball and only use it in situations where I have to go around a tree or something like that.

she blinded me...with science!

Great post Gus! Sounds like TM really has all of its forged lineup perfectly balanced

I have to disagree with this science a bit mostly b/c it's quite simply a Muscle Cavity iron, and not a full cavity. The full Cavity would provide the club with "significant" perimeter weighting.

I also would think that the weight in the center of the cavity (the nut or whatever you guys are calling it) would assist in maintaining balance and more particularly, assisting in keeping that club face in a square position both throughout the swing and at impact. This is just my opinion though, and if I happen to be right, well then, it means you guys are doing some phenomenal things in being able to manipulate that face so much to successfully work the ball as well as you are (right and left).

I would imagine that the one shot that is easiest to pull off with these irons is the lower/punch type shots, especially for those of you who don't have the stock XP shafts. You guys having some good success with flighting the ball low so far?

I have to disagree with this science a bit mostly b/c it's quite simply a Muscle Cavity iron, and not a full cavity. The full Cavity would provide the club with "significant" perimeter weighting.

I see where youre coming from, and agree to a certain extent, but there definitely is some perimeter weighting on these irons.

I see where youre coming from, and agree to a certain extent, but there definitely is some perimeter weighting on these irons.

Yes, but some is not significant is it?

I also would think that the weight in the center of the cavity (the nut or whatever you guys are calling it) would assist in maintaining balance and more particularly, assisting in keeping that club face in a square position both throughout the swing and at impact. This is just my opinion though, and if I happen to be right, well then, it means you guys are doing some phenomenal things in being able to manipulate that face so much to successfully work the ball as well as you are (right and left).

I would imagine that the one shot that is easiest to pull off with these irons is the lower/punch type shots, especially for those of you who don't have the stock XP shafts. You guys having some good success with flighting the ball low so far?

I have been able to hit low shots with these. I really have had good luck hitting all sorts of shots with them, whether it be high/low draw or a slight fade(hardest shot for me). These have been fun to hit at the range because I think it gives you the thoughts of trying to hit different types of shots. My last range session was one of the most fun sessions I can remember.

Also I believe the XP shafts were only the stock offering on the CB version.

Back