TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Very good info, thank you all for the feedback. Ddec, you're crazy dude, I went out today in 39 degree temps and was cold, you definitely win the award for the testing in adverse conditions.

I just got back from eating with Gray, KellyBo and RxGus. We are going to grab another round tomorrow morning and I am going to post all my iron thoughts from the weekend tomorrow evening. A very quick thought is this: I look down and see thin top lines and small club faces, but after hitting a few hundred shots, I have confidence in these irons that a mishit will not be penalized to badly even with the long irons.

Nice write ups guys. Ddec why was the grass on the range white?? lol

It's called 'Northern Bermuda"- kinda like in the south when Bermuda goes dormant and brown. It's the same thing, only ours turns blue haired and hangs out at the local bingo hall.

I feel like an old man- it is 8pm and I am all ready for bed.

The last thought I really wanted to leave here was the idea of forgiveness.
These irons are infinitely more forgiving than I originally gave them credit for. After a full round and then two buckets of balls my hands never once felt the "sting" of a bad shot. You get lots of feedback on your miss-hits but you aren't punished. The ball still gets a good flight and the distance is still pretty good. The clubs did me a lot of good when I didn't make perfect contact and I am getting more and more confident standing over these at address.

The limiting factor now is my swing, and once that clicks for the season these are going to light it up. They are really nice now and its scary to think they are only going to get better for me!

Good updates guys. Ddec...that's dedication!

Very good info, thank you all for the feedback. Ddec, you're crazy dude, I went out today in 39 degree temps and was cold, you definitely win the award for the testing in adverse conditions.

Good updates guys. Ddec...that's dedication!

It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Yesterday it was in the upper 50's here with no wind, today it was upper 20's and strong winds. I did take the clubs on a date to the simulator tonight, its always nice showing up with the best looking date in the room right? Once again I loved the feel, when hit well I'm not sure there is a better feeling club on the market. Tomorrow is supposed to be upper 20's again here, but the wind shouldn't be an issue so I will try to get out there again.

Lots of great info here guys. Did you get any better of an idea how your distance compares after you took it to the sim, ddec?

Lots of great info here guys. Did you get any better of an idea how your distance compares after you took it to the sim, ddec?

There were times when I thought the sim numbers were really good and accurate, I would hit my PW about 127 in the air and my 5 175 or so. However I did hit a 60 degree 114 yards which I'm not sure is really accurate so take that for what its worth. Distance wise I think these are similar to my i10's. If there isn't much wind tomorrow I should be able to get a better feeling on yardages.

The sim we were on was funky on the lob wedges too, but the irons seemed right in line with what I am used to.

Thanks for the writeups guys....
Very nice looking irons....

The sim we were on was funky on the lob wedges too, but the irons seemed right in line with what I am used to.
Yah the irons seemed to be dead on, the chipping was meh.

Yah the irons seemed to be dead on, the chipping was meh.

yeah sounds similar.After a few holes I set the gimmie range to like 12 feet because I didn't want to putt at all, I just wanted to hit irons.

yeah sounds similar.After a few holes I set the gimmie range to like 12 feet because I didn't want to putt at all, I just wanted to hit irons.

Yah we had automatic putting at the guy was worse than me, he had like 2 3 putts from 15 feet and no one putts =(

Nice work on the reviews guys. DDec, its encouraging that you hit these in the arctic tundra and still didn't really get hand stingers. That's impressive. I've got to get out and hit these again soon... I'm still working on grooving the longer irons, and I'm trying to get comfortable hitting a draw along with the knockdown and fade that are already serving me well so far.

today's forcast is a high of 30, which means perfect conditions for the range again! haha

I forgot to bring some impact tape yesterday so I will try to remember some today. Though if it is windy like yesterday that stuff will be blowing all over the range.

Well folks- I don't have a lot of time to update before dinner and heading back to Ohio, but I did want to touch base on my round today. Something clicked and my irons today were so much better than yesterday. I am still figuring out the long irons but my PW-7 were really on. I generally want to lay up to 100 and take a gap wedge, but I found myself wanting to leave it at 135 so I could play my 9 iron!

I came up short on several iron shots but once I adjust to the new distances my GIR will really start to increase from last year. I was also able to hold several shots arrow straight which I was unable to do yesterday, and capped my round off with a 9i to within 12 inches on the par-3 15th. It was a pure shot and a big confidence boost. These really feel wonderful when you hit them right and still provide a startling amount of forgiveness. High on my list, is their ability to minimize slightly fat shots. The club cuts right through the turf and you still get well above average contact. This same property really helps out of the rough too, where I simply don't feel the "grab" that I expect out of bermuda. The face stays open and you get good ball contact out of even the deepest rough.

I ended up shooting a 92 with four 7's on the card. Most of those strokes came from some bad luck and flubbed wedge shots. Just as a teaser- I can't wait until Kelly gets home and posts up a new thread on the round today. The course was unbelievably pretty. I would LOVE to see it when its all greened up. The bermuda was starting to come back but it wasn't quite there yet.

Seth had a great round today and was really striking the ball well. I think we both continue to be impressed with these irons. He did far more working of the ball than I did, so I'll leave that side of it to him!

I'm out and will update with a few other thoughts when I get back to Ohio!

Last edited:
These MCs are the best looking of the trio IMO.
Excited to hear all the reviews.
I agree, they are beautiful in person, I saw RXGus's and SethO's yesterday and for the life of me I don't know why I did not hit one or two.

Good post RXG, glad the irons are everything you wanted. Good round today, have a safe flight home and hope to see you again sometime soon.

I agree, they are beautiful in person, I saw RXGus's and SethO's yesterday and for the life of me I don't know why I did not hit one or two.

Cause you didn't ask? That seems simple enough :alien:

Cause you didn't ask? That seems simple enough :alien:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, haha. What I meant was I actually had your 7 iron in my hands standing on a driving range and never asked, I knew you would not mind.

Thanks for the update Gus. I'd like to give these a few swings as well. I thought the MB's were sweet for a low handicapper iron and imagine that these are very nice as well.

Well today I was the only person at the range...go figure. It was only 28 degrees but very little wind. With the heater in the booth it actually wasn't bad. Yesterday I played with FootJoy Winter gloves on, today just my normal golf glove.

Ball Flight - I'm sure it helps a little because I was hitting off of mats, but man I was I able to launch these things high. They really seem to hit higher than my i10s. Even with the 3 and 4 irons I was able to hit a nice high contollable shot. When it came time to flight them lower, no problem. Play it a little further back in my stance and take a 3/4 swing to a 3/4 finish and whack, there it is. With these it seems as if my natural shot with them is straight with a tiny draw. Last 20 balls or so I worked on trying to hit a fade, which is hard for me to do with my irons, but I was able to hit a few decent ones(don't be fooled I hit some stinkers too).

Feel - Still fantastic! I had probably 4-5 stingers, one was when I tried to hit it off the rubber tee, but I made contact on the top couple of grooves.

Forgiveness - I still think they are pretty forgiving. When I didn’t catch it on the sweet spot it still seemed to go towards my target and maybe cost about 5 yards.

Distance - I had a much better judge of distance on these today with little wind. There is a green out in the center of the range that is 150 to the front and 170 to the back. I was able to catch the front of it with an 8iron, middle with a 7, and launch over with a 6. When just missed with the 6 it would land in the upper part of the green. With the 4 iron I was able to hit it right around the 200 yard marker, so I probably hit it about 190ish. That is a pretty good 4 iron for me.

All in all, I came home today and told Nerfny that I just had one of the most fun range sessions ever. There was a cart guy out there, which gave me some chances to try and hit different types of shots to get the ball near him(hit him twice). After 2 days of hitting these things, I can see them being in my bag for the year. I really want to get them out on the course now because my swing feels great and I’m hitting these good. It looks like it will be a few more weeks before that happens so till then it’s just range time.

I had a great weekend with these irons! I have absolutely fell in love with these babies! I can see these being in my bag for a very long time.

Forgiveness: These irons really do have it. My body was very tired today and I was not striking the irons as well as I normally do, but I managed to squeak out a 40 on the front and followed it up with a miserable 48 on the back. I had trouble hitting the ball off the toe and a bit fat at times, but the ball flew pretty straight on those mishits. They didn't sting at all, but I could tell immediately where the miss happened.

Working the ball: On several occasions, I had to move the ball from right to left and I was able to do this easily and at will. It seemed that all I really had to do to get a good draw on the ball was think about hitting a draw. I have yet to have to hit a cut on the course. I am not very good at hitting a cut, but hitting one on the range was pretty easy.

Distance: Once again, I found the short irons a tad shorter than my old clubs, but that is to be expected due to the change in loft. I would say that there is half a club difference from what I can tell so far.

Spin: I am not using a tour ball at the moment because I decided to give the TaylorMade Burner Tour a try. These balls are very spinny for a $21 ball, but they are not as spinny as the softer covered balls that I have been playing. I do get decent spin off the short irons and I was able to back the ball up a little. I will try to take a few different kinds of tour balls out this week and just hit some approach shots to see how they spin on the green. I think I am going to see some very good spin.

Overall: I love these irons so far. I don't get fancy with my shots and I usually try to play one ball flight unless I really need to do something different. I have found that these irons are working wonderfully for my type of game.

great to hear seth! Sound like these are a perfect match for your game at the moment.

Back