TaylorMade R9 TP Irons - Long Term Review

^^ I am pretty close in handicap to you and I currently play the regular r9's and I am playing ok with them. I have a tendency to lose control with the regular r9 because they are so forgiving that I feel like I can swing with no regard and the ball still goes. This is just my personal feelng though. I am contemplating getting the r9 tp's as my 6-pw and having my 4 and 5 be the regular r9. Not quite sure yet though. Best to go and demo all you can before making a purchase.

Nevermind....r7 XD's.…

Last edited:
Bumping for any further reviews or comments as I may be pulling the trigger on a set of R9 TPs next week after getting really good results with them at a GolfTEC fitting yesterday. I'd love to hear more if anyone else has more experience with them.

I'm really surprised how these have come down in price. I was @ Dick's and they have the R9 TP for $499 and the regular R9 for $399. I was planning on waiting until this fall to buy a new set of irons, ($800ish), but the price on these had me really thinking. After thinking about it my point in getting new irons was to get fit for what's right for me. If it works out that it's the R9's, I'm sure I will still be able to find a new set this fall and probably for even less.

I'm really surprised how these have come down in price. I was @ Dick's and they have the R9 TP for $499 and the regular R9 for $399. I was planning on waiting until this fall to buy a new set of irons, ($800ish), but the price on these had me really thinking. After thinking about it my point in getting new irons was to get fit for what's right for me. If it works out that it's the R9's, I'm sure I will still be able to find a new set this fall and probably for even less.

I'm in the same boat, the price on the r9s is very interesting.

Well, I wish I hadn't bought them for almost twice that last spring! Great irons though...I don't regret it at all.

I played these and was very happy with them until I switched to the R9 "B" irons and I couldn't be happier.

I love the R9 TPs, I play them and the feel is amazing, and they're easy to get away with mistakes with.

I too am looking forward to hearing your reviews on these. I started with a set of Taylormade Firesoles that my step dad had. He had only used them about 10 times when I first borrowed them and got hooked on golf. Now I have a complete set of R7's and love them! I imagine there will be R11 irons, so I imagine that will be my next complete set. Start getting them one at a time starting with the driver. I still have the firesole clubs, every once in a while my brother wants to go. So I let him use them. I think he's getting hooked on golf too... It's just pitiful that I found golf a third of the way thru life....

Keep us up to date. Been looking into a new set. My CGB max irons are getting old. Let us know how these work out.

My dicks has the TP for 599, but I saw them on GPPgolf.com for 499. I kept hesitating to get some and my dad even had me order him some. I just got his in the mail and they even came with custom golf pride grips on them! I called GPPgolf to see if it was a mistake and they said no, so I said I wanted a set and they said I had ordered the last set...for my dad. I am so jealous and now I can't even find a set with stock shafts for under $600! I want them so bad!!!!!

My dicks has the TP for 599, but I saw them on GPPgolf.com for 499. I kept hesitating to get some and my dad even had me order him some. I just got his in the mail and they even came with custom golf pride grips on them! I called GPPgolf to see if it was a mistake and they said no, so I said I wanted a set and they said I had ordered the last set...for my dad. I am so jealous and now I can't even find a set with stock shafts for under $600! I want them so bad!!!!!

I'll buy a set at my Dick's for $499 and sell them to you for $599. :D

Those might be the tp b versions

Does dicks even sell the b versions? My local dicks just has the retail TP version. If I could get the b version for 599 i'd be all over that!

Does dicks even sell the b versions? My local dicks just has the retail TP version. If I could get the b version for 599 i'd be all over that!

No, they would not carry the B version.

No, they would not carry the B version.

What is the difference with the B version? (Nevermind, I found a site with a description of them. Nice. Glad I didn't know about them, I may have been tempted, haha.)

I assume mine are not Bs, but I've had mine for a month now, slowly getting them broken in, and so far so good. They are forgiving but workable, I get an extra half-club distance over my old blades, and I can take a little off and hit them high or low. I don't have stock shafts, however, I ordered mine with KBS Tour Reg flex hard stepped once. Great feeling shaft.

What is the difference with the B version? (Nevermind, I found a site with a description of them. Nice. Glad I didn't know about them, I may have been tempted, haha.)

I assume mine are not Bs, but I've had mine for a month now, slowly getting them broken in, and so far so good. They are forgiving but workable, I get an extra half-club distance over my old blades, and I can take a little off and hit them high or low. I don't have stock shafts, however, I ordered mine with KBS Tour Reg flex hard stepped once. Great feeling shaft.

If you had Bs, you'd know...they are TIIIIIINY! I really like the R9 TPs...were a close second to the i15s I just picked up.

I need to quit visiting this thread or else I'm going to be another $600 in the hole.

I hit these irons the other day and really like them a lot. I was hitting them beside the new TP CBs and had a hard time telling them apart. If they keep getting cheaper, I might pick up a set to try out over my regular R9s.

I will bring a thread from the past back up.

I found a used set of these on the list. I made it out to the range with them yesterday. I think I am in love it them already. I had the original r9s before this and I think these are just a touch better than them. I was hitting the ball really great with them and I think my distances are close. I know they have a bit of different lofts than the R9s. The main reason I wanted to bring this back up is the relation of these to the new R11s. I think they are pretty close in similarity to the new irons. I was looking over the loft differences on the TM website and it seems the R11s are bent about a club stronger. I think this is the main reason people are seeing a big distance increase in the new clubs. I know the faces are going to be hotter too. I have heard that they took some took some of the technology from the 2.0s over to the R11s.

Back to the R9 TPs. I think these are going to be really good for my game and I really liked how they hit out of the rough section of the range. That is one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade to a TP version of these irons. I have really loved my older R9s, but just wanted a smaller head to help out in the rough.

I have really loved my older R9s, but just wanted a smaller head to help out in the rough.

Honest question. Why do you think a smaller head and thinner profile will help you specifically out of the rough?

Honest question. Why do you think a smaller head and thinner profile will help you specifically out of the rough?

I feel like it would clear through the rough easier. Some times I feel like the bigger head of my R9s gets caught up in thicker Bermuda rough. I might be wrong, but wouldn't a smaller head have less surface area to get caught and make it through easier?

I feel like it would clear through the rough easier. Some times I feel like the bigger head of my R9s gets caught up in thicker Bermuda rough. I might be wrong, but wouldn't a smaller head have less surface area to get caught and make it through easier?

It could. It could also have less room for error meaning that the slightest movement of the head with less mass behind the ball has a larger effect on the outcome.

It could. It could also have less room for error meaning that the slightest movement of the head with less mass behind the ball has a larger effect on the outcome.

Would a thinner sole help get through the rough better and let you keep a bigger head for a bigger sweet spot?

Would a thinner sole help get through the rough better and let you keep a bigger head for a bigger sweet spot?

Not sure. Not for me personally.
Thinner sole for me tends to get manipulated easier by thick rough

Back