TaylorMade R9 TP Irons - Long Term Review

Not sure. Not for me personally.
Thinner sole for me tends to get manipulated easier by thick rough

I also think it would depend on the rough. Thicker rough might make the head go off kilter while thinner rough like the first cut could possibly be easier with the thinner sole

Not sure. Not for me personally.
Thinner sole for me tends to get manipulated easier by thick rough

What do you find makes it easier to clear through thick roughs? I know you deal with them more than me, being located in FL. I thought that going to a smaller head size would help, but maybe I made the wrong choice. Should I be looking for something else in an iron to help me?

I can see JB's argument, especially in that thick Bermuda rough in Florida, but I can also see dmb's point due to the bent grass rough that is more predominant in this neck of the woods.

dmb, just keep that Razr Hawk in the bag and you won't be in the rough as much, haha!

I can see JB's argument, especially in that thick Bermuda rough in Florida, but I can also see dmb's point due to the bent grass rough that is more predominant in this neck of the woods.

dmb, just keep that Razr Hawk in the bag and you won't be in the rough as much, haha!

That is true brother! I just have been hitting my irons great lately and wanted to get some help in the rough areas. I figured smaller head = easier out of the rough.

Could also depend on the swing type. I would think a sweeper would get a lot more tangled than a digger

Could also depend on the swing type. I would think a sweeper would get a lot more tangled than a digger

So changing my swing to hit down on the ball more will help?

So changing my swing to hit down on the ball more will help?

It is what I do but I can't tell anyone else to do that as I don't know how good you are at manipulating your swing. Of course I am a big time digger so going even steeper is not an issue for me. Tell me to go with more of a sweep and I would be lost. In thick rough for me I almost come right down upon the ball

It is what I do but I can't tell anyone else to do that as I don't know how good you are at manipulating your swing. Of course I am a big time digger so going even steeper is not an issue for me. Tell me to go with more of a sweep and I would be lost. In thick rough for me I almost come right down upon the ball

I take a small divot in front of the ball, but not a pancake.

What do you find makes it easier to clear through thick roughs? I know you deal with them more than me, being located in FL. I thought that going to a smaller head size would help, but maybe I made the wrong choice. Should I be looking for something else in an iron to help me?

You should look for whatever makes it easier for you.

You should look for whatever makes it easier for you.

When you test all the different irons that come through THP, what irons or features help you with rough shots?

When you test all the different irons that come through THP, what irons or features help you with rough shots?

I like the irons I have now for deep rough. Truth be told, it is very different for people. Are they a digger or a sweeper? What is the biggest struggle in the rough? Are they playing the shot properly? There are too many variables for me to say one iron works better than the other. Just for my personal game, I prefer a slightly wider sole for the deep rough while still having a decent leading edge.

However I can also tell you that I did not struggle with the R9s out of the rough.

Thanks for the awesome response. This helps give me some ideas of what to work and look for. I feel like I am in the middle of the road on the sweeper vs digger swing type. I do like how the regular R9s handled almost any situation. I am going to play the TPs for a bit and see how the thinner sole works for me. I don't think I will get rid of my old set until I decide if a thicker vs a thinner sole works for me. I hope that finding this feature out on clubs will help me out with purchases in the future.

Tapatalkin

Back