Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Any lefty on here that want a nice set of irons msg. me I have a set of Pings I will send you

WOW Ping is taking a beating today, thats 3 sets of G15's in one day.

WOW Ping is taking a beating today, thats 3 sets of G15's in one day.

Mine aren't G15's mine are Karsten 3 Greendots. I am buying another set of Di11's as backups

I love that you guys are moving forward with these and dropping the PINGS in the past. You are all doing an excellent job on your reviews so far! well, except for OEM....hahaha

All I can say is these clubs are as advertised.They do improve your game, no doubts about it.

Going to hit the Di11's today Buckaroo got to see what your talking about.

I'm playing Heritage today which will be a real good test. I have a feeling you are going to love these Ogs.

All I can say is these clubs are as advertised.They do improve your game, no doubts about it.

Completely agree Ron. I came into this thinking it would be a fun time because I love hitting new clubs. Thought I would put them through the paces and in the end return to my beloved Pings. Boy did my attitude change quickly lol.

I'm playing Red Hawk in Castle Rock tomorrow. I've been told it's a really challenging course so this will be the perfect test for them. I will also get to test the shaft strength when I rap my bro in law across the shins with one for fudging the score.

Completely agree Ron. I came into this thinking it would be a fun time because I love hitting new clubs. Thought I would put them through the paces and in the end return to my beloved Pings. Boy did my attitude change quickly lol.

Exactly, I was thinking it was really cool that these would be donated to First Tee when I was done testing and I had bought my new Ping K15's. Sorry kids but I'm not giving these up. If I don't hear from anyone on here about my current set of Pings I will donate them to First Tee instead.

Exactly, I was thinking it was really cool that these would be donated to First Tee when I was done testing and I had bought my new Ping K15's. Sorry kids but I'm not giving these up. If I don't hear from anyone on here about my current set of Pings I will donate them to First Tee instead.

Thats great Ron. I am playing today with these bad boys and couldn't be more excited to give them a third shot at the course. Can they do three rounds in the low 80's out of the box? My guess is yes. The Burner 2.0's might have a new home after today, and I NEVER thought I would say that for years and years.

Dang i get more impressed with these bad boys everyday i read through this thread, with all of the guys that are putting their old sets up for sale or driving straight to Edwin Watts to buy them. Knowing that you guys dont have a biased opinion to W/S like i do really says alot about the performance of these, (yes i know i'm biased but i cant seem to help it, LOL). I cant wait to hit these, i've got some work to do in nashville in a couple of weeks and, i REALLY hope Edwin Watts has them in stock by then.:fingers-crossed:, if they do i may walk out with a set. BTW if any of you guys dont wanna keep them i will take any and all Di11 donations, LOL.......... Just kidding donating to the 1st tee program would be an amazingly awesome thing to do, mucho respect to jb and all of thp's forum leaders for being involved with the 1st tee and, anyone else who is active with that program, that is awesome.

Today was my third round with the Di11's and they performed again today. I can both draw and fade the short irons, which I had to do a couple or times today due to some suspect driving on my part, and if you miss a little bit they are just so forgiving. I played from the blue tees today (6400 yards) just so that I would have more mid and long irons into the greens today and they performed just as they have been on the range, long, high launching and forgiving. I hit almost every iron in the bag into greens today and the long and mid irons were just spectacular. What I really love about them is how high they launch because I can hold the greens with them. Twice today I ended up with 190 into the green, pulled the 4 iron and hit the green (very rare for me) but the ball ended up no more than 5 yards from hits ball mark. The only problem I had to day was I had 155 to the flag and hit the 7 iron, I thought I hit it perfectly but when I looked up the ball was hooking really badly. I just chalked that up to a bad swing even though it felt right, and moved on. 5 holes later I need to hit the 7 again only to see that the grip is 45* turned from where it should be! Well maybe it wasn't me then, I am regripping these anyway and I'm sure it was an oddity.

The uniflex shaft fit me perfectly, and after looking at the fat shafts when you first unbox them you never notice them again. With just three rounds with these irons and multiple range sessions I can say these are the best irons for my game that I have played. The shaft, forgiveness and ball flight are just too good to ignore. A good friend of mine is now the proud new owner of Burner 2.0's, it was sad to let them go, but they wouldn't have gone back in the bag and its better that someone can enjoy them as they are a great set of irons in their own right, but just not the best for me.

wow the Di11's seem to be winning over our testers! Great stuff so far guys.

So the Di11's knocked the 2.0's out of the bag for Coolbreeze, I wonder if they will do the same for OEM.

You guys [Coolbreeze and CL] are really making this difficult on me I'm stuck between TM 2.0 and Di11's

You guys [Coolbreeze and CL] are really making this difficult on me I'm stuck between TM 2.0 and Di11's

Both are great irons but very different IMO. You can send me a PM if you would like about my thoughts on both irons, so this thread stays devoted to just the testing of the Di11 irons.

Played a new course today, Heritage in Wake Forest. Very nice course. Not overly long at 6600 yards. Tighter fairways then I am used to so it was a solid test. I have so many thoughts swirling through my head about this round. Walked off the course bitterly disappointed at my score but happy about my back nine. Here goes and sorry but I'm not going to remember everything. New courses make it harder for me to remember the shots.

1--514--Pretty nervous as I was grouped with a group of regulars. Cracked a nice drive that carried a bunker 250 out and got some good roll. Had 215 in and pulled the 4 iron. Hit a good shot but pushed it right. Easy little chip that for some reason I decided to use my PW instead of LW. Steamrolled the ball past the hole and then had a dicey downhill chip left. Got to within 10 feet but missed the putt. Really disappointing 6

2--442--Hit a nice drive that caught a downhill slope and gave me some good yardage. Had a 9 iron into the green with a slight uphill stance. Pushed it right and that was going to be a typical miss for me all day with that club. Ball caught a hill to the right though and rolled onto the green. Just missed the 20 footer and had a tap in 4

3--351--Straight ahead uphill par4. Hit a great drive that left me with GW into the green. Should have hit SW. Hit the shot perfect but it was just too long. Ended up back fringe and hit a nice lag putt for a tap in 4

4--416--So far so good. This is where it starts wavering. Dogleg right but if you cut the corner it's a chip onto the green. I take too much and I'm OB right. My provisional is ripped right down the middle and I have SW left. Hit a nice 9:00 shot to about 8 feet but just miss the putt. 6

5--171--Real nice par3 with a big lake in front and right. Hit a real nice 6 iron that goes over the green into a little grass bunker. Hit a nice chip to about 6 feet but miss the putt for 4

6--518--Hit a nice drive that puts me in Mashie territory. A little nervous to pull it because off the turf I have not been hitting that great. Water is all up the left side so I aim right and play for a little draw. I don't get the draw but it's straight and leaves me with an easy chip. I hit a poor chip that leaves me on the fringe about 15 feet away. Downhill putt leaves me 8 feet for par. Just miss the putt. 6

7--359--Very nice and difficult par4 straight into an all of a sudden stiff breeze. Hit a good drive that is pushed a little right. Still leaves me with 8 iron into the green but with a severe uphill stance. Hit a beauty to about 15 feet. Just leave the putt hanging on the lip for a 4

8--144--I'm feeling pretty good. I won't be after this hole. Tiny and I do mean tiny par3 that is playing 130 with a nice wind into us. I take a 9 iron and immediately start thinking about the shot I hit right on 2. I should have put it away and hit a soft 8 instead. Hit the shot straight right and into trouble. After an assortment of drops and chunks I walk away with a 7. Not sure I have ever been as angry on the golf course after that one.

9--390--Slight dogleg left and I pull my drive left. I am still thinking about the last hole. I can't relax. Walk up to my ball and see maybe the top 3rd of it. Uphill stance and a buried ball equals chunk shot with the 4 iron. Leave myself a nice SW shot to the green but I put it to the back of the green on the fringe. Lag it up to 8 feet and miss the putt. I am steaming with 6.

I am left trying to calm myself down. I can't even tell you what happened. I was playing so well. A couple of mistakes gave me some 6's that I should not have gotten but after one hole my nice round was over. I need to start listening to my worries. I knew on 8 that for some reason the 9 iron was not the right club and yet I didn't listen. That one shot cost me dearly. I was hitting the ball so well up until then and then all of a sudden I was chunking it all over the place. It's a long walk to the 10th and I am desperately trying to calm myself. I decide I want 30's on the back and I can walk away happy.

10--407--Dogleg left with bunkers in the landing area. I feel like I've composed myself and step up and pull hook my drive into the woods. I'm not angry anymore. I just am clueless as to what is happening. I've got 210 into the green and I need to hook this ball. I've got a nasty lie though and I chunk it again. I get some nice roll out though which leaves me a 9:00 LW. Hit a great shot to 5 feet but singe the left edge. I will take this 5 and run.

11--356--Short straight ahead par4. My driver has completely left me but there's bunkers right in the area that my Mashie will go. Take driver and pull hook it into the woods. I have an opening between 2 trees but it requires a fade. I have been practicing this shot so I think I can pull it off. I get the ball through the trees and it starts fading exactly how I want it to. Big gust of wind knocks my ball down short of the green on top of a bunker. Hit a nice chip to 7 feet but miss the putt. 5

12--136--Tough par3. Water in front and a nasty breeze into our face. Hit a knockdown 8 iron that lands on the front fringe. Lag putt to 2 feet for a par

13--410--Catch the driver a little thin and it leaves me with a long iron into the green. I have a nice lie though and I decide I'm going to try a 4 iron with a little fade. I don't pull this shot off at all and I'm way right. Get lucky though and my ball is playable but I have to chip out. Left with a little LW chip I hit it very nicely to 5 feet and I make the putt for a nice 5

14--554-Long par 5 with a small creek left. I finally hit a nice drive but it just hits a small mound and jumps down into the area where the creek is. I'm slightly peeved as I start my walk. I get up to my ball and it is laying right outside the red stakes. Whew. I've got 250 in and a nice lie. I'm thinking Mashie but I decide to play to a number. 7 iron lay up leaves me with SW. I think it's a 9:00 and hit if nicely. It was a 10:30. I'm right in front of the green. I lag putt to 4 feet and make the putt. 5

15--424--Uphill slight dogleg right. Hit a nice drive that balloons a little in the wind and I'm left with 200 into the green. Decide to hit 4 iron as I am testing these irons and not the Mashie. Chunk it but get some nice roll. Hit a solid GW to the back of the green and 2 putt for 5

16--321--Great little hole. Severe dogleg left that is straight downhill. Trees along the left side kind of protect the green but if you are feeling stout enough you could pull driver and go for it. I take Mashie and play a nice draw around the corner which leaves me with a 9:00 GW. I hit it long and I'm on the back fringe. I hit a terrible lag putt. The greens had been playing fast but as I walk to my ball I notice this green is pretty dark as compared to the others. For some reason I don't take that into consideration. I mean I know this putt is going to be slower but it's downhill. It was just a terrible lag putt. 10 feet left and I just miss it for a 5

17--Little par3. Pull the 9 iron and once again hit it right and thin. It hits some mounds over on the right side though and rolls onto the green. Just miss the bird and tap in for 3

18--506--Fantastic finishing hole. Water right in front of you and bunkers in the landing area. I hit a very nice drive that leaves me 240 in. Pull the Mashie and crush it to about 30 yards in front of the green. I am left with a LW over a steep bunker. I hit it great and I have a 10 footer for bird. Reading the green I am looking at this putt and loving it. Sometimes as you read a putt you just have a good feeling and I had that. Hit the putt and my heart starts beating fast. I know it's in the hole. Hits a spike mark and dives left. I couldn't believe it. I tap in for 5.

I walk off happy and sad at the same time. I hit the ball great for the most part all day. My irons were solid yet again with the exception of the 4 iron and 9 iron. I don't know what it was but the 9 was just my devil club all day. I don't know if it was the fact that each time I used it I was trying to keep it low but I was catching it thin and pushing it right all day. It really cost me a good round today. 4 iron I think was just bad luck. If I had a good lie I hit it fine. I had a couple of shots on iffy lies though and I chunked it on those shots every time. I might have to start looking at an M4 to replace the 4 iron. I'm just not comfortable with it. Maybe the added length of these shafts is really hurting me with the 4 iron. I will continue to practice with it though.

Final score is 88. 47 on the front and 41 on the back. 7 & 6 on 8 & 9 killed my round. All in all I played a tougher course and still shot in the 80's. Di11's continue to impress.

If the weather holds I will be playing Red hawk today, a course that completely kicked my butt the 2 times I played it last fall. I fugure this will be the perfect test for the Di11'a

Good luck Ron!

Nice updates Chunky and CB. Really want to get my hands on these irons.

Good stuff CL, its strange that the 9 iron doesn't want to work for you, but I'm sure it will. The 4 iron for me right now is the best club in the bag and was pulling it yesterday on long lay ups more often than the mashie.

Yeah CB I'm starting to think it was more of a shot thing then an iron thing. I was trying to hit more of a punch shot when I hit those shots. Sometimes when I do that I tend to sway forward which will cause me problems. 4 iron I think was just bad luck with my lies. I was hitting it good just the other day at the range

Yeah CB I'm starting to think it was more of a shot thing then an iron thing. I was trying to hit more of a punch shot when I hit those shots. Sometimes when I do that I tend to sway forward which will cause me problems. 4 iron I think was just bad luck with my lies. I was hitting it good just the other day at the range

Makes sense, from a bad lie I would probably hit a choke down mashie instead of the 4 iron but from a good lie it is a beast. I do the same thing sometimes with punch shots, swaying forward.

Well, on a course that usually kicks my butt, I shot a 101 today. Normally whenever I play I play from the blue tees. Today however, I played from the GOLD and still shot a 101. This is a 6900+ yard course designed by Jim Engh, with some of the most extreme elevation changes you're ever going to see. These irons are amazing, parred all of the par three holes today using just irons. It was about 40 out and we even got a few flurries on 16. I can't wait till this course geens up some me and my Di11's can go kick some serious butt on this course.

Congrats Ron. Sounds like you were hitting them well today. 6900 is LONG!

Back