Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I have to say that the guys in my foursome were staring at my irons. They really liked them. One of the guys had a set of Di7's and I am betting he is going to upgrade. I let him hit a couple of shots and he was loving them.

I have had a few people comment on how great they look and then ask what they are. They are almost to a man shocked when I say Wilson Staff, and then blown away when I hit and 8 iron past their 6.

Love your thoughts Ron, keep them coming. 318 drive, thats crazy man, if you buddy hadn`t maimed you it could have been 350!

I'm thinking the 318 drive was the golf gods way of saying sorry for him ruining my round :D I mean seriously, how mad could I stay when I hit a drive like that on the final hole? Of course I didn't see the size of the goose egg on my knee till I was half way home either.

Im not sure there is a number, but they can be used by most skill levels.

What is the worst handicap player that could use these clubs?

I think these irons would fit any handicap and would be great for all high cappers. Very forgiving, and they launch the ball high which can be a problem for a lot of higher cappers. I don`t think there is a range of golfers who couldn`t play these, there are some who wouldn`t want to but, but even single digit cappers like JB really like these irons.

They are fantastic for high handicappers like me Courtney and it seems like they are working very well for lower handicappers like coolbreeze and chunkylover. They are very versatile. Very forgiving for players like me, really helping me improve and very workable for more experienced players.

I think these clubs would fit any level of player including beginner. I am shocked sometimes at the range when I see a good shot go off and I will look at the ball mark and it's off the toe or in toward the heel. Very forgiving clubs.

How long are the clubs? Even though I am tall for a boy my age, I don't wanna cut them down.

They are longer than the norm, but I don`t think you would have to cut them down.

I might have to check these out. I've never hit Wilsons before.

Possible skim alert. Are you guys aving any issues with these irons being so aggressively lofted? Mainly having the GW come in at 46*? Any gap issues with your wedges setups?

Possible skim alert. Are you guys aving any issues with these irons being so aggressively lofted? Mainly having the GW come in at 46*? Any gap issues with your wedges setups?

If you are talking about full shots then yes there is a big gap between the GW and my SW, however I find I can hit a 3/4 gap wedge very well to fit that hole.

I have a large gap between my GW and my SW. Just about 10*. That being said, on the course I have had no problems. I have just gotten used to just going a club higher in my thinking. On my old set I used to hit 7i about 155-160. So now I just pull the 8i or go with a very soft 7i. I am thinking of going with a 52 or 54 and a 58 wedge set though to try and get my gaps a little tighter.

So these are very easy to adapt then. That's cool. Seems to be a bit of an oddity to have the PW/GW so strongly lofted. Most other "distance" sets I've seen still have a PW in the 44-46 range with the GW at 50.

Yeah 9 I just consider the GW my PW. I've yet to make a mistake pulling the wrong club. Once I get used to my new yardages I won't have to think about it much.

I won't have to think about it much.

You will if you ever switch irons again. I know its about lofts, but tell me that when you have to hit a 5 iron instead of a 6 or 7 iron. It DOES make a difference to me in my game.

Yeah 9 I just consider the GW my PW. I've yet to make a mistake pulling the wrong club. Once I get used to my new yardages I won't have to think about it much.

Thats a good way to think about it, it doesn't matter what number or name is on the sole of the club, it only matters that you know how far you hit it.

You will if you ever switch irons again. I know its about lofts, but tell me that when you have to hit a 5 iron instead of a 6 or 7 iron. It DOES make a difference to me in my game.

I think I understand what you are saying JB and if so I agree. The difference confidence wise for me between a 5 & 6 iron is huge. I feel like I almost never chunk a 6 iron. 5 iron I can still struggle with sometimes. I was talking strictly in terms of distance. I really like the stronger lofted irons just in terms of confidence. It does make a difference to me if I'm hitting 6 instead of 5.

I think I understand what you are saying JB and if so I agree. The difference confidence wise for me between a 5 & 6 iron is huge. I feel like I almost never chunk a 6 iron. 5 iron I can still struggle with sometimes. I was talking strictly in terms of distance. I really like the stronger lofted irons just in terms of confidence. It does make a difference to me if I'm hitting 6 instead of 5.

Yeah, that is what I was saying. So when someone says strong lofted is no different, I say "it is too me mentally".

Yeah, that is what I was saying. So when someone says strong lofted is no different, I say "it is too me mentally".

Totally agree with both of you here.

Dang. I had been writing on the Wilson page instead of the Wilson/Staff page. I'm an idiot.

Dang. I had been writing on the Wilson page instead of the Wilson/Staff page. I'm an idiot.

I wondered where you have been buddy! Its been so lonely there.

Thanks Kev. I was wondering where you guys were. Geez!

Back