Tiger Thinks He's Still the Best

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Check out the interview Tiger did with Tom Rinaldi from ESPN.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6224548

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Who's the best player in the world?
If you ask Tiger Woods, it's a simple answer.

"When I get my swing dialed in?" Woods said rhetorically in an interview with ESPN's Tom Rinaldi on Wednesday's "SportsCenter."

When asked if he was referring to himself, Woods smiled and nodded.
He has not won a tournament since the Australian Masters in November 2009, but told Rinaldi that he "absolutely" believes he will break Jack Nicklaus' record for major tournaments won.

"That's the goal. That's always been the goal," Woods said. "From before I turned pro until now, that's the goal golfwise."

Tiger will gear up for his next major -- next month's 2011 Masters -- in part by playing the Arnold Palmer Invitational next week at Bay Hill.

Woods is a six-time winner at Bay Hill, including one stretch of four straight victories. He last won in 2009 with a dramatic birdie on the final hole, but did not defend his title last year while coping with the crisis in his personal life. His commitment to play was not surprising, although until a year ago, Woods typically waited until the Friday before a tournament to announce he was playing.

Woods says he watched the tournament on TV last year when Ernie Els won.
Bay Hill will complete a full year for Woods from when he returned to golf last year at the Masters. It will be the 20th tournament since that time.

It funny there the keyword is WHEN. It's been how long already and he still hasn't really impressed most of us. I do like his attitude though, on the other hand when asked who is the best player in the world he isn't going to name some other PGA tour pro.

I like his confidence and it's what's needed to win tournaments.

I like that he thinks he's the best. To not have that expectation will most likely lead to mediocraty.

I watched the interview this morning on ESPN. Although he will always be frowned upon due to his off the course escapades he is still one of my favorites. To me when Tiger is dialed in there are not many people on this planet who can compete with him. During his interview he also said "throughout my career I have taken 3 steps back to make one giant leap forward and I believe this is one of those times." The Tiger everyone used to love watching win tournaments will be back its just a matter of time.

To me when Tiger is dialed in there are not many people on this planet who can compete with him.

Except YE Yang...:act-up:

In a sport like golf at that level, when you have his status and everyone analyzing you to the nth degree...if Tiger didnt have that attitude I think he would definitely end up being mediocre, and say what you want about his personal life, but greatness does not settle for mediocrity

I liked the interview a lot, every golfer in the world should think there the best, every athlete for that matter. Confidence is big in sports and its good to see, he still has it. Will he do it though...I have my doubts. He'll win a few more majors to be sure, but 5? Thats a hall of fame career left to do.

Seeing is believing. I'm glad he has that mind set, but he still has to get it done and he's a ways off at this point.

but greatness does not settle for mediocrity

I dont know dude. I saw the pictures of some of those women...I would say greatness settles for mediocrity quite often.

I dont know dude. I saw the pictures of some of those women...I would say greatness settles for mediocrity quite often.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

have to add rep for that

I liked the interview a lot, every golfer in the world should think there the best, every athlete for that matter. Confidence is big in sports and its good to see, he still has it. Will he do it though...I have my doubts. He'll win a few more majors to be sure, but 5? Thats a hall of fame career left to do.

This is very true! One of my favorite quotes from Tiger he said "If you don't believe you can win an event don't even bother showing up." Every athlete needs to have a certain amount of confidence and Tiger shows this.

He's back to being the best right now. Look at the final round at Doral, which he followed up with a blistering 69 in that outing in Orlando.

Kevin

Bazinga!

Zing! He's on fiyah!

:rofl: I was eating cereal when I read this and just spit milk all over my computer. Damn, that was funny!

On the overall subject, so far in 2011 he's given me a lot of reasons to second-guess my faith in his eventual return to form, but this attitude is a little part of what makes it so hard for me to bet against him.

And G Mac.

Man the way I'm playing right now I would take Tiger's "Z" game. Yes it's that bad.

I think he's showing signs that he's back in the game. Players have ups and downs his was just due to a swing change. He still has done amazing things in his career maybe he still has some left-at least he still has the confidence .

I think Tiger is trying to rebuild his presence from within. He hasn't talked like this for quite a while in my mind and I also caught a glimpse of it at the press conference last Sunday. He is starting to feel confident again and he is trying to create a belief system for himself that allows him to be the best.

At the moment he is not the best and that is clear but as he puts it he is getting closer.

Zing! That was a good one!

I'm sure most are sick of hearing "when he gets his swing back" blah blah blah. I also think he's lost the mental edge that most feared him as has been mentioned especially after YE and GMac were able to put it to him. However, when he does get his swing back and he does start rolling, (it only takes one win, shot) and gets that momentum going I think he will be feared again.

I think it was very well put that 5 majors in and of itself would be a hall of fame career. And wouldn't most say that if anyone is capable, and likely only one is capable, wouldn't that one be Tiger?

My opinon is yes. We don't EVER talk about anyone else even coming close to breaking Jack's record. NO ONE. The fact that he's still essentially young and has rebuilt his swing before tells me he is capable of taking care of business. He's definitely gotten into his own head and is trying to find the exit sign. I think it'll take one win to turn that train around and I will be one of them saying "He's Back!" too. But is it really out of the question to think so even if you're not a fan of Tiger?

Back