Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

Great thread fellows I just caught up from page 3 and I agree Mc, that was a great video.

Really great updates! And that was really a great video! You guys have me wanting to get one of these. I wonder if anyone has tried this and the Fat Free Swing Trainer? Any thoughts?

Really great updates! And that was really a great video! You guys have me wanting to get one of these. I wonder if anyone has tried this and the Fat Free Swing Trainer? Any thoughts?

I have not had the opportunity to try the Fat Free swing trainer but after yesterday's range session I am open to it. :dohanim:

Working on another video - should be up in a few hours.

Looking forward to the video, after reading reviews and watching the video, it looks to me that either the CB or the FFS would work as would the TourStriker iron. All of these training aids seem to be trying to reach the same type of impact and post impact positions. I would think different people would respond better to the one that seems to appeal to them the most, that is just my opinion, nothing concrete to back that opinion up.

Video from last night's range session:

[youtube]5O5iZ0x-0hw[/youtube]

Good review Mc, do you feel you are seeing better ball flight and distance with the improvement already made or not. BTW great looking wedge shot.

DD - thanks!! I would not say better ball flight or distance; about the same as prior to the start of review. I am currently at the stage of "realization" of what I am actually doing and need to now move into "improvement" mode. My next trip to the range will focus more on changing things up and looking for results.

After my first video session, I noticed that I really stood up when nearing the top of my backswing so I tried yesterday to stay more down but that resulted in really FAT shots. I have some more video to review my swing but probably need to throw up a video for Andy to see if he can give me some areas to focus on. Going to play 45 tomorrow (if not 54) so lots of course time to see how it translates.

Video from last night's range session:

[youtube]5O5iZ0x-0hw[/youtube]

Probably should have added some commentary when I posted my 2nd video review this morning. I think levels 3-6 are great for showing exactly where you are hitting the ball and giving you something to work on regarding ball contact.

I think levels Pro-2 will confirm that you are actually catching it clean as you will not hit the board at those levels when successful.

My plan next time out is to follow the steps from level 6 and work back and really see if I can start hitting the ball at the ball and not 3 inches behind it. My videos have been a bit sporadic as I have been going up and down the levels to show off the training aid but not exactly using it per the instructions to provided to improve my ball striking.

I saw something very similar to this on the Golf Channel show Lessons With the Pros. It was the Martin Hall show with Morgan Pressel and he was talking about how to make sure your divot is being taken in front of the ball. He showed how you can take a board and cut out an opening in the middle (just like the Compression board) and you practice with it by not hitting the board.
I made one myself and use it in the backyard with plastic practice balls. Took me weeks to get to where I didn't clip the board every time....

What your describing sounds exactly like this. The added benefit to this is the markings for measurement (but obviously you could do that on a homemade board as well).

Now, if I can get to hitting it clean in 2 weeks I would be amazed. I can avoid hitting the board pretty much at levels 4-6 but Pro-3: NO WAY (yet)!

Hi THP!

I hope I'm not out of place for dropping in here. My name is Scott and I worked with Alf and Pat in creating the Compression Board. I haven't had the chance yet to read through all the comments here, but I wanted to make a post right away to thank this awesome community for taking the time and energy to try our product and - more importantly - share their experiences. Thank you!

In fact, I setup a checkout code on our store just for you guys. If you use 'THP2011' when checking out from our store, you'll receive a 20% discount! I really don't intend to skew the results of the testing so if that's the case, please let me know or just delete this post... Either way, the discount code will be in effect until April 30, 2011.

All the best from Compression Board and as always, Happy Compressing!!

I look forward to reading the rest of the thread.

Very nice video MCook, I can see the benefits of using the compression board.

Hi THP!

I hope I'm not out of place for dropping in here. My name is Scott and I worked with Alf and Pat in creating the Compression Board. I haven't had the chance yet to read through all the comments here, but I wanted to make a post right away to thank this awesome community for taking the time and energy to try our product and - more importantly - share their experiences. Thank you!

In fact, I setup a checkout code on our store just for you guys. If you use 'THP2011' when checking out from our store, you'll receive a 20% discount! I really don't intend to skew the results of the testing so if that's the case, please let me know or just delete this post... Either way, the discount code will be in effect until April 30, 2011.

Hi Scott - I have enjoyed testing the product thus far and looking forward to additional testing! When have you time to read through the entire thread, I would be interested to hear your feedback as to the intent/what can a golfer expect to get out of it. I probably made some assumptions from my experience thus far but there were some questions that you could probably pick up on and perhaps offer clarification.

Welcome to the site - amazing place even outside of the Compression Board testing thread!! :wink:

After my first video session, I noticed that I really stood up when nearing the top of my backswing so I tried yesterday to stay more down but that resulted in really FAT shots.

Hey mcook, what might have happened is that in your effort to stay down and not straighten up in your backswing you might actually have started to dip a little. If you dip a little in your backswing, you are bound to straighten up a little on the other side of the transition point, in your downswing and that will get your swing plane all out of whack. Could easily end up hitting it fat as a result. it is really really hard to pick up on it if you start to dip a little during your backswing.

I have ordered a compression board myself from reading this thread. It has not arrived as yet but as I mentioned in an earlier post I really like the concept of it because you are trying to avoid hitting it. There are other products designed with the same intention that you hit off of and I have a hard time with those. They tend to be kinda' small and fragile. As a result I end up taking full but half hearted swings with those and there is nothing more pitiful than a full but half hearted swing. in fact that is just the sort of swing that is likely to result in hitting it fat. So I think the compression board will be a much more useful and fun device for me. Normally I do not hit the ball fat in the sense of landing way behind the ball but I do think it helps to have something trying to remind you to attack the ball on a steeper angle and I am looking forward to the compression board pushing me in that direction. i am willing to bet that if I tried to position the ball back near the edge right at the start, I would have difficulty completely missing the board as well.

Another great video MCook, great job so far. I have no doubt that this product could help improve almost every golfers ball striking.

Thanks for the feedback jnug & glad you liked the latest review coolbreeze!

After my outing today on the course, I am even more excited to use the compression board more this week. Simply stated: my ball striking needs some improvement. Shot 87 with probably 8 or 10 fat/chunk shots (2 ended up in a water hazard). If I can eliminate stupid mistakes like those, I could really see myself shooting low 80's consistently.

Another video review will go up over the next 3-5 days.

Guys, thanks for the reviews and such. A couple points on some of the things I saw:

1) Place the back of the ball at the level you are on - if you are trying the pro level with the pro level indicator going through the middle of the ball you'd have to come down to steep with your lower irons.

2) For putting, it's used as aiming, alignment, clubface angle awareness (which will determine if your putt starts on desired line), and club path among other things.

Hopefully it helps improve your learning!

Alf Callowhill
Co-Founder

Excellent job all, loving the videos of the testing. Hitting shots fat and not hitting down on the ball are things I struggle with in my game, this definitely looks like something that could improve my ball striking, I'm going to have to order one of these.

Probably should have added some commentary when I posted my 2nd video review this morning. I think levels 3-6 are great for showing exactly where you are hitting the ball and giving you something to work on regarding ball contact.

I think levels Pro-2 will confirm that you are actually catching it clean as you will not hit the board at those levels when successful.

My plan next time out is to follow the steps from level 6 and work back and really see if I can start hitting the ball at the ball and not 3 inches behind it. My videos have been a bit sporadic as I have been going up and down the levels to show off the training aid but not exactly using it per the instructions to provided to improve my ball striking.

Great post and review mcook! It seems I am slacking since I have no where near your video skills.

Ok I have been on the range working with the compression board and I am liking it! If you remember from my first post I was really having some trouble compressing the ball properly once I got to the 2 position. I have been on the range three more times over the weekend and I am now hitting the ball much better from the 2 position. I am still hitting the board on about 3 out of ten shots but no where near as fat as I was when I first tried it. I am going to keep working with this and see if i can move back some more...LOL...yea right...hey one can hope! Anyway i dont know what happened to my pics but when I can find them i will repost them. One question for the testers is has anyone tried to clean the scuff marks off the board yet? Or maybe I missed a post on here.

great thread and nice work so far guys! I am very interested in this subject/item. I'm curious what you all are trying to do to correct when you are hitting behind the ball? This weekend my wife and I got to the range and as I don't have one of these yet, we put a towel down 4-6" behind the ball. My wife couldn't believe she kept hitting it (I did too, I'm afraid) and then she said, "I'm aiming for the ball" and I realized she thought her aim was off. It took a while to explain that it's about lag and hip clearance - at least as I understand it. On the downswing as we move into the ball we shorten the distance from our hands to the ground compared to address. So, if we don't clear our hips and lag the club, the club is "too long" when coming thru the impact zone to get to the ball without hitting the ground first.

Is this how you all understand what you're trying to improve? Do you think I have the concept right?

Flooder - you understand the swing much better than I do. I am at the point now of knowing I hit behind the ball too much but now having to figure out how to improve that. The board really helps with identifying exactly where you are hitting but then I think there are probably multiple ways to achieve better contact after that. Do not think I answered your question completely but hope that makes sense from someone just starting the process.

Flooder - you understand the swing much better than I do. I am at the point now of knowing I hit behind the ball too much but now having to figure out how to improve that. The board really helps with identifying exactly where you are hitting but then I think there are probably multiple ways to achieve better contact after that. Do not think I answered your question completely but hope that makes sense from someone just starting the process.

I don't know if I understand it, maybe I just think I do! Anyway, hopefully someone can confirm what I'm thinking/saying - if you don't get the hips turning and the hands ahead of the ball at impact you will either have to stand up (BAD!) or hit behind the ball (BAD!). At least that's what I think is going on. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi THP!

That is a great deal for the members. Thank you

Guys, thanks for the reviews and such. A couple points on some of the things I saw:

1) Place the back of the ball at the level you are on - if you are trying the pro level with the pro level indicator going through the middle of the ball you'd have to come down to steep with your lower irons.

2) For putting, it's used as aiming, alignment, clubface angle awareness (which will determine if your putt starts on desired line), and club path among other things.

Hopefully it helps improve your learning!

Alf Callowhill
Co-Founder

Thank you for the input.

Ok I have been on the range working with the compression board and I am liking it! If you remember from my first post I was really having some trouble compressing the ball properly once I got to the 2 position. I have been on the range three more times over the weekend and I am now hitting the ball much better from the 2 position. I am still hitting the board on about 3 out of ten shots but no where near as fat as I was when I first tried it. I am going to keep working with this and see if i can move back some more...LOL...yea right...hey one can hope! Anyway i dont know what happened to my pics but when I can find them i will repost them. One question for the testers is has anyone tried to clean the scuff marks off the board yet? Or maybe I missed a post on here.

I haven't tried to clean the marks, just wipe the board down with a towel after. I think I'd try to clean up the marks if they weren't so consistent so that new marks would be more informative but mine are pretty consistent.

great thread and nice work so far guys! I am very interested in this subject/item. I'm curious what you all are trying to do to correct when you are hitting behind the ball? This weekend my wife and I got to the range and as I don't have one of these yet, we put a towel down 4-6" behind the ball. My wife couldn't believe she kept hitting it (I did too, I'm afraid) and then she said, "I'm aiming for the ball" and I realized she thought her aim was off. It took a while to explain that it's about lag and hip clearance - at least as I understand it. On the downswing as we move into the ball we shorten the distance from our hands to the ground compared to address. So, if we don't clear our hips and lag the club, the club is "too long" when coming thru the impact zone to get to the ball without hitting the ground first.

Is this how you all understand what you're trying to improve? Do you think I have the concept right?

I'm not sure about the concept. I'll see if I can find any information on that. What caught my attention was "I'm aiming for the ball." Even before having the chance to test the Compresson Board I have been working on aiming a head of the ball to reduce fat shots. When the information came out on the Fat Free board (I think that's what it is called) it is designed to get your focus ahead of the ball so I've been continuing this strategy.
The biggest change I'm trying to incorporate now is compacting my swing. I was taking the club back way too wide for irons and wedges that really causes a more sweeping club on the downswing (great for drivers, not good for other clubs). Getting too wide was also causing some right elbow flying (RH golfer), not too much but any can be bad, causing for inconsistency at impact on the club face. Other than that, I need to slow down my tempo, keep my head down more, and keep off my left toes in the downswing (I'm pretty sure that is causing the thins as it raises me).
I'll try to write more later, still need to get videos, but I can say I am improving, getting good at 4 and moving down. I spent 4 hours Sat. with the board and it is still in one piece. I'm getting really frustrated hearing the sound of hitting the board but know it is to improve my swing.

You're certainly thinking along the right line with that. You definitely need to clear the hips, but I wouldn't assume that's the only problem or one of them until you video some swings and analyze them. This board will really help you load your lower body without swaying and get you to smother the ball with your nose. By doing one of those two incorrectly you're moving the position where your swing bottoms out. Also, ideally you should just think about swinging the club and let the ball get in the way. Try not to focus so much on hitting the ball. Hope that answered your question. If not let me know.

Also, I'm going to try and get my buddy that is a teaching professional to come to the range and do some video with me and the board sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back