Compression Board Forum Testing & Review

Ok I know that I am a few days late but i have been out of town so here are the pics that I took after my compression board arrived.
IMG]http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae85/royalwulff_photos/PICT0728.jpg[/IMG]
PICT0730.jpg

PICT0727.jpg

I am hoping to be on the range tomorrow and give this its first tryout so i will post more pics and info then. i will say that I do know that it is durable enough for a two year old to stand on it and it shows no abuse from her dancing on it, she was having fun with it.

Can't wait to hear more Wulff and see this in action for you. Nice to know these can even entertain the kids, lol. I like multitasking equipment!

Yes mcook the video is really great. (I was born in Grand Prairie but moved at a couple months old -always wondered what it looked like.. LOL)
As I watched I was wondering about the feasability of anchoring the board in that long grass - a drill and some long tees in the corners might work. Just a thought as it did look like on the Pro level you would have needed to pick the club up with your wrists. Looking froward to watching the testers as they make progress and get used to the board.

I headed to the range this morning with compression board and video camera in hand. I could already tell by taking a few swings at home without hitting a ball that the board will in fact show and tell you what you are doing wrong.

When going through the testing what surprised me the most was just how far I was starting my divot behind the ball even though I was still making what I consider to be good contact with the ball. I had always wondered why my short iron shots did not check up on the green as fast as I would like as I thought I was compressing the ball fairly well and starting contact at the ball. This training aid has shown me that rarely am I actually making contact at the ball but rather substantially behind it.

This will definitely accompany me on all my future trips to the range and more video to follow as I use this to help my ball striking.

If there are any questions out there, please shoot them my way and I will do my best to answer them. Also, if there is anything someone wants to see in my next video testing of this product let me know and I will get it done; should be back at the range one evening by mid-week.

Also, if you go watch on YouTube, you can choose to view in 720HD which might make a few of the close up angles a tad more clear. Sorry for the background noise - was windy and I live near DFW airport.

[YOUTUBE]0OKsWXec_s8[/YOUTUBE]

this video was incredible!! You did a great job. After watching this thing in action I think this may need to become a part of my practice sessions!!

Yes mcook the video is really great. (I was born in Grand Prairie but moved at a couple months old -always wondered what it looked like.. LOL)
As I watched I was wondering about the feasability of anchoring the board in that long grass - a drill and some long tees in the corners might work. Just a thought as it did look like on the Pro level you would have needed to pick the club up with your wrists. Looking froward to watching the testers as they make progress and get used to the board.

I was actually practicing in Arlington but it does not look any different :act-up:

That is a good idea about something to hold it in place, the only downfall is that you would constantly be pulling out the tees (or whatever your anchor is) and moving it because if you are practicing at a specific level and create a divot you will move it for a better lie. Luckily, the board is a decent weight (not just a real slim piece of plexi glass) so it stays in place fairly well. Hopefully, others that use it have a range that mows more often than mine does and you will not have this issue. I will make a point to test on less fluffy lies next time to see the difference.

This is a pretty neat looking training aid, I`m sure I would beat up the board pretty good with my swing.

Just spent 30 minutes going through reading everything looking at the videos. You guys are doing a great job so much that I will be buying one!

My only concern about trying to hold the board in place is that that would lead to a broken board. Don't know, but I think its ability to move helps keep it from breaking.

Just got done hitting some little chips and pitches in the backyard. As soon as I get a partner to go to the range with me I'll take some video. The Pro setting is the only setting that gives me a tough time on the full swing so I'll be going to town on the pro setting from now on. I think it really shines on chips and pitches. If you hit a pitch cleanly from the pro setting it's perfect. You can hear the crisp sound of catching all ball. I also wanted to show with a picture that you can also get an idea of your swing path from the scuffs you leave.
adabaddc-4a4b-524c.jpg

adabaddc-4a6e-e040.jpg

Those pictures aren't the greatest, but it clearly shows me I'm coming in to out on my swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The video was great.

Out of curiosity, when you did hit the board, what did you change in you swing to make sure you didn't hit the board again. Did you steepen the angle of your swing, or did you just change where the ball was in your stance? Which seemed more successful against hitting the board?

The video was great.

Out of curiosity, when you did hit the board, what did you change in you swing to make sure you didn't hit the board again. Did you steepen the angle of your swing, or did you just change where the ball was in your stance? Which seemed more successful against hitting the board?

I just try to not release the club to early. My good swings I don't hit it, so for me I'm using it more to build up consistency and to allow it to give me the feedback when I'm not striking it pure. On pitches and chips I did add a little more wrist hinge, but I needed to that, because when I don't hit the board on them they're perfect.

The video was great.

I was still hitting the board so I can't say that I resolved the issue but I was trying to steepen the angle and do less of a sweep. I have also played around with ball positioning in the past but obviously the further back in your stance the less time you have to square up the club.

It is also good to point out that the board will not fix any swing flaws or force you to do anything different (besides trying not to hit the board again). It simply makes you more aware of where you are in your ball striking and then it is up to you to choose what changes to make in order to improve upon that. Perfect example in your question as there are 2 possible changes to improve contact if you are hitting well behind the ball, etc.

I went to the range today with the Compression Board. I am doing a little better at level 4 and about the same on level 3 as 4. I am still hitting it thin at times or hitting the board. Getting some good shots and love the extra distance and feel off the board. Sorry, no video today, I think my GF left her camera at her sister's house. I did buy a hitting net last night and will be setting it up and working on my swing. Maybe video by the weekend.

Oh, the board is still holding up very good. I pretty much hit it in the same arc and haven't seen much more scuffing than the earlier pictures. I did hit the board really hard on the range today, my left knee collapsed as it sometimes does, and thought that smacking the board that hard might damage it some. Nope, didn't notice any different marking from that.

I have a feeling this product will find it's way to my house sometime in the near future

My apologies for no updates since Sunday but I will be back at the range tomorrow evening. New video up tomorrow night or early Friday morning. Again, if anyone has questions or want to see something specific on video please let me know and I will gladly capture!!

What are the dimensions of the board? Will it fit in the big pocket of your golf bag? Does it travel easy? Just wondering, if you could play some practice rounds with it to work on hitting down on the course?

What are the dimensions of the board? Will it fit in the big pocket of your golf bag? Does it travel easy? Just wondering, if you could play some practice rounds with it to work on hitting down on the course?

One of the other testers posted the dimensions on page 1 of this thread but it now appears they have been removed. My only guess is that maybe someone does not want us posting that info for fear that someone will copy?? If that is not the case and JB approves, then I will measure and provide that detail.

Regarding your other questions, it does travel easy but I do not think it would fit in most bags due to width (except maybe a staff bag). I definitely could see using this on the course without issue but overall I think you would get better use on the range with it since it does not change your swing or anything, just gives you an accurate picture of just how far you are hitting behind (or possibly to the side) of the ball.

One of the other testers posted the dimensions on page 1 of this thread but it now appears they have been removed. My only guess is that maybe someone does not want us posting that info for fear that someone will copy?? If that is not the case and JB approves, then I will measure and provide that detail.

Regarding your other questions, it does travel easy but I do not think it would fit in most bags due to width (except maybe a staff bag). I definitely could see using this on the course without issue but overall I think you would get better use on the range with it since it does not change your swing or anything, just gives you an accurate picture of just how far you are hitting behind (or possibly to the side) of the ball.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought I saw those dimensions to, but couldn't find them. It is ok if they can't be posted.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought I saw those dimensions to, but couldn't find them. It is ok if they can't be posted.

I'll give you the basic dimensions but just didn't feel right about having the detailed dimensions up since I really like the product and don't think it is over priced for what it tells you about your swing not to mention that they were kind enough to send them for review. :smile:

The basic dimensions are 20" long, 11.5" wide, and 1/8" high. (The rest you'll have to guess :smile:)

I don't think they'll fit in most bags. Maybe in a staff bag (maybe) but it doesn't fit in my cart bag and it has some pretty big side pockets.

I don't think they'll fit in most bags. Maybe in a staff bag (maybe) but it doesn't fit in my cart bag and it has some pretty big side pockets.

You don't have to post the dimensions, as I told mcook in my later post. I just wanted to see if it would fit in my big compartment in my bag to take on the course. If I decide to use this, I would go and buy it.

Last edited:
Well I just got back from the range and hitting some balls using the compression board, and to be honest i probably need to go back out there and find my ego. When I first got the compression board I thought there is no way I am hitting the ball that fat just looking at the position of the pro mark and the 1 mark. So I get out to the range and after warming up I started out at the 6 mark and hit four balls at each position. I did fine till I got to the 2 mark. First swing..WHACK.. I thought ok 1 bad shot. Set up again and WHACK...what the @*$&$^%? This went on for 5 more shots. I move the ball back up to the three mark and once again I was hitting the ball without hitting the board first. My new instructor came up to watch and asked about what I was using and he liked the compression board and said he will probably have me incorporate it in some later lessons. Anyway I was really suprised at how I was actually hitting the ball. It was quite eye opening and humbling. I will be back on the range here in a couple of days and will report more then. Hopefully my ego will be out there waiting for me...haha

Best I can do in my cart bag. Actually not too bad. Fits enough that I could take it on the course.

DSCN2174%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2172%20%28640x480%29.jpg

Well I just got back from the range and hitting some balls using the compression board, and to be honest i probably need to go back out there and find my ego. When I first got the compression board I thought there is no way I am hitting the ball that fat just looking at the position of the pro mark and the 1 mark. So I get out to the range and after warming up I started out at the 6 mark and hit four balls at each position. I did fine till I got to the 2 mark. First swing..WHACK.. I thought ok 1 bad shot. Set up again and WHACK...what the @*$&$^%? This went on for 5 more shots. I move the ball back up to the three mark and once again I was hitting the ball without hitting the board first. My new instructor came up to watch and asked about what I was using and he liked the compression board and said he will probably have me incorporate it in some later lessons. Anyway I was really suprised at how I was actually hitting the ball. It was quite eye opening and humbling. I will be back on the range here in a couple of days and will report more then. Hopefully my ego will be out there waiting for me...haha

So, when you were hitting between the 3-6 marks where was your divot starting? I mentioned in my video that even though I was hitting balls at the 6 mark (and thought I was hitting it good), my divots were starting all the way back at 1-2 (4-5 inches behind the ball) so I knew that when I tried to move back to 2 or 3 I was going to have issues.

So, when you were hitting between the 3-6 marks where was your divot starting? I mentioned in my video that even though I was hitting balls at the 6 mark (and thought I was hitting it good), my divots were starting all the way back at 1-2 (4-5 inches behind the ball) so I knew that when I tried to move back to 2 or 3 I was going to have issues.

It was actually tough to tell as the range is quite torn up right now. Finding a good patch of grass is tough. It seemed as though my divots from the three were starting between the pro and two mark.

It was actually tough to tell as the range is quite torn up right now. Finding a good patch of grass is tough. It seemed as though my divots from the three were starting between the pro and two mark.

I've actually been taking mine and putting it down on some softer dirt or turf so you have to hit the ball first or it's not going anywhere. I see you guys mentioned your divots starting before the ball sometimes and this is a way to avoid that and really know whether or not your hitting ball first.

I've been hitting chips and pitches everyday with mine on the pro setting and I am definitely seeing improvement. I'll have video to put up and another review Saturday.

I've actually been taking mine and putting it down on some softer dirt or turf so you have to hit the ball first or it's not going anywhere. I see you guys mentioned your divots starting before the ball sometimes and this is a way to avoid that and really know whether or not your hitting ball first.

I've been hitting chips and pitches everyday with mine on the pro setting and I am definitely seeing improvement. I'll have video to put up and another review Saturday.

I will try out your suggestion when I get back out on the range. I really am looking forward to spending more time with the compression board and seeing how it changes my ball striking.

Back