TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Other than forgiveness with the lower clubs, why would some one want a mixed set?

Yes he was responding to my question.

Saw your "Irons: Tour Preferred MC courtesy of TM and HP" in your signature.

You guys do a group buy or something?

i got a combo mc 3-6 mb 7-pw with a kbs tour shaft i just picked them up today and the weather isn't very good up here so i can't give you any feedback on them yet.
Has anyone gone the KBS Tour or PX route in these? From skimming this thread it looks like the majority of people are in S300's or X100's.

Other than forgiveness with the lower clubs, why would some one want a mixed set?

My question was what performance are you gaining by going mixed in the other irons? Im using all 3 right now and have had no issue working the ball with any of them. I get it if its a mental thing or an aesthetic thing or an ego thing even for the others, but Im curious why others choose that path.

TaylorMade and The Hackers Paradise selected us to do pre-release testing with these irons months before they were released.

Check out the 1st post.

Check out the 1st post.

Gotcha... when I searched I think I started on like the 4th page. Cool deal! This site looks great.

Gotcha... when I searched I think I started on like the 4th page. Cool deal! This site looks great.

This site is great, if you stick around you will find out! You should also check out the threads about the 2011 Outing at PGA National and the Morgan Cup coming up in August.

My question was what performance are you gaining by going mixed in the other irons? Im using all 3 right now and have had no issue working the ball with any of them. I get it if its a mental thing or an aesthetic thing or an ego thing even for the others, but Im curious why others choose that path.

Would you recommend going with the most forgiving set? I don't get why TM would make three different sets that are the same other than their looks.

Would you recommend going with the most forgiving set? I don't get why TM would make three different sets that are the same other than their looks.

I try not to recommend anything for anybody without seeing them play. Sorry.

I have always listened to a famous club maker that said go with the most forgiving set that your game allows you to play.

Similar philosophy that every shaft expert will give you when they say go with the weakest flex your swing can hold up to.

JB an answer to this one. In my case the fitters at the Kingdom specifically said not to go with the CBs in the shorter irons because I hit the ball very hit and the lower CG on these clubs would cause the ball to go far too high for me. But in the longer irons the benefits of forgiveness outweighed the increase in height on the 4 and 5 irons.

JB an answer to this one. In my case the fitters at the Kingdom specifically said not to go with the CBs in the shorter irons because I hit the ball very hit and the lower CG on these clubs would cause the ball to go far too high for me. But in the longer irons the benefits of forgiveness outweighed the increase in height on the 4 and 5 irons.

Thank you for the feedback.

DT when they fit you did they recommend the same shaft for both the MCs and CBs? Have you placed the order yet?

DT when they fit you did they recommend the same shaft for both the MCs and CBs? Have you placed the order yet?

They actually recommended that I go with the X100 in the MC and the X100 XP (a bit lighter) in the CBs. The fitters explained that he thought that this was a really nice transition to the lower weight in my hybrid and woods.

I try not to recommend anything for anybody without seeing them play. Sorry.

I have always listened to a famous club maker that said go with the most forgiving set that your game allows you to play.

Similar philosophy that every shaft expert will give you when they say go with the weakest flex your swing can hold up to.

Maybe you can help me out at the outing.

That statement about forgiveness is what the pro that fitted my driver said. How do you know what that is?

Numbers and swings is the best way.

I guess doing a iron fitting after finding the set I like is the way to go. I guess I am confused how to know what level of irons to start on. Is there a book out there that I can gain this information from or just experience?

I guess doing a iron fitting after finding the set I like is the way to go. I guess I am ju

Im a big believer in fitting. Im also a big believer in a LOT of the interview with a club making legend on the home page yesterday. :alien:

Im a big believer in fitting. Im also a big believer in a LOT of the interview with a club making legend on the home page yesterday. :alien:

Yeah that was an awesome interview. I think that is one of my favorite interviews THP has done.

Last edited:
JB,
To answer your question about performance. Very simply- I have not had the opportunity to hit the CBs. I am considering adding a CB for the 5+6 iron as I would likely benefit from the added forgiveness. If I was buying irons this spring, I would likely be hitting the CB and MC head to head (along with the new offerings from cleveland and callaway) to see what I could find. There is a reasonable possibility that I would have ended up with a full set of CBs. Forgiveness vs ball flight would be the big question for me and it is one that I hope to answer at the outing.

I 100% understand and agree- that you want the most forgiveness that you can get out of your irons and still be comfortable playing. I don't work the ball so that isn't a worry of mine at all right now.

I've hit both the MC and the CB head to head and they are both great clubs. Many have said that the MC has a lower ball flight and it does, but slightly, especially in the longer irons. The CB's ball flight is higher than the MC's and like Dr. Teeth said, if you already hit the ball high the CB's will send your ball to the moon. The MC will give you great turf interaction and penetrating ball flight. I'm probably going to go with a set of the CB's mainly because they are slightly more forgiving and they helped me get the ball up in a hurry.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

They actually recommended that I go with the X100 in the MC and the X100 XP (a bit lighter) in the CBs. The fitters explained that he thought that this was a really nice transition to the lower weight in my hybrid and woods.

Interesting.... there was a combo set of CB/MC/MB's at my local GG. My buddy is the manager and he said they received it by mistake. We both noticed that all the shafts were S300's except for the CB irons which were S300 XP's. This must be the setup TM is pushing.

Mind if I asked what your 6 iron ss and carry is with going X100's?

I'm an S300 player and could use a bit more flatter trajectory with the short irons and a touch more lift in the longer irons might not be a bad thing. Perhaps this X100 setup like yours might be the ticket.

Thanks!

I had a chance to put these on a SIM a couple days ago and wanted to point out a couple things, both about my game and these irons.

I played Bay Hill (after watching the collapse down the stretch). Shot an 86 with a 50 on the front and a 36 on the back. For what it is worth this is the first time in my life (real golf, SIM, par three, etc) that I have ever had a 9 where I shot at par. It's a cool feeling!

My ball striking on the front was awful. I had several dead pulls that put me in water, and s***ked a tee shot on a Par3. I did not hit a green in regulation
I made a slight change in my swing for the back nine and everything clicked! I hit 5/9 greens and posted a 36 without even realizing that I was doing it. FIR, GIR, 2 putts and off to the next hole.

The observation I wanted to make is that these irons will not hide (let alone fix) a bad swing. I think that there is a misconception in some peoples mind that when we talk about forgiveness in this tread we are talking about SGI, hide your swing flaws, forgiveness. We aren't. When I was swinging poorly on the front these irons punished me pretty severely. Once I got my swing back on track the "subtle forgiveness" of these irons was evident. As I said, I hit 5/9 greens on the back and even my misses were very close to what I wanted to accomplish with the shot. I found the distances were spot on what I was expecting, and the ball flight was predictable. I know I wasn't swinging perfectly on the back nine but the irons didn't punish me for the little flaws that slip in and out of my game. They punish me for big flaws and big misses, but the subtle flaws that we all have- even when we are playing well- are limited.

Back