TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

DDec, nicely done! Looks like you're striking these really well.... good to hear there's finally some golf to be had in upper NY. I'm betting you will get more and more confident with these as you get time with them, especially the scoring irons.

Good stuff g4l!

I was able to take these out today on a short 9 hole course. The ground was soft because of the snow/rain that came through Thursday night. It was also pretty windy out there today, but who cares I was out on the course golfing! Here are just a few highlights

The first hole was a par 3 and the GPS had the center of the green at 127, 140 to the back. The flag was probably about 135, so I took out my PW and put a nice swing on it. The ball hit and settled up about 4 feet to the hole to set up a nice birdie to start the round.

Hole 3 a short par 4 with an approach shot to an elevated green. Used my M1 off the tee to find the fairway and then hit a 9 iron just off to the right of the green. The distance was perfect. The GPS read 138 to the center of the green, which was about 30 feet uphill. Niblick up and in and I'm walking off with par.

Hole 5 I was looking at 160 to the center of the green with trouble(OB) long. Used a 7 iron and came just about 10 feet short. I didn't catch that one great, a little on the inside, but it still had a good line on the green but alas came up short.

Hole 7 was a par 3 over water at 185. 5 iron lands right on the side of the green which led to a 2 putt par. That 5 iron may have been the best shot of my round. There was a strong cross breeze, and if you've read this thread I have struggled on and off with the 5 iron. Anyway, I hit this one near the center of the face and the ball cut through the wind enough to carry the water and land on the green.

The 9th hole I was faced with a 170 yard shot uphill to the green. I was in a good position and used the 6 iron. I hit it well, but just pulled it a little bit and missed the green on the left. The yardage was good. Niblick up and a 2 putt had me walking off with bogey.

Overall I thought I hit the ball well today. It was my first time on a course in a few weeks. The course was short so I didn't really hit many long irons, I think I hit the 5 once and the 6 once, other than that it was mostly the 8-pw.

Ddec great insight. I was just curious as to what irons you were swinging before the MCs, and how do you compare the short iron.

Today was incredibly windy. My misses today were slightly high on the club face and the wind compounded the loss of distance. The great part was that it was very easy to keep the ball low. I had a 5 iron stinger today that just cut through the wind and landed pin high on the green. On the next hole, I took a 6 iron where I would normally hit an 8 iron. I missed this one a little high on the club face and the wind just took the ball and had it's way with it. I sawed off the finish because I was not comfortable hitting a 6 iron when I am lying 153 yards from the pin (180 club). This is seriously the hardest wind I have ever played in (well, may be tied with Florida). Hit the ball well and you will be rewarded in wind, hit it wrong and you will be punished.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

Ddec great insight. I was just curious as to what irons you were swinging before the MCs, and how do you compare the short iron.

He previously played a combo set of G10/i10 irons.

Mardin - played a set of g10 irons for my 4 and 5, and i10 from 6-PW. I went out this morning and took some pics of the 8,9,pw of both the i10 and mc. The MC appears to be slightly larger than the i10. The topline also looks a touch thicker, but that could be the different finish and the fact that the edges of the i10 are more rounded.

PING 8-PW
Spoiler
100_2876.jpg

100_2877.jpg

Taylormade MC 8-PW
Spoiler
100_2884.jpg

100_2885.jpg

8 irons
Spoiler
100_2874.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2875.jpg

9 irons
Spoiler
100_2878.jpg

100_2879.jpg

PW
Spoiler
100_2881.jpg

100_2880.jpg

9 irons cavity and set up to ball
Spoiler
100_2887.jpg

100_2886.jpg

100_2882.jpg
100_2883.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. The MC's really look great at address. The scoring irons in the MC and CB sets are just pure bliss.

nice pics, i bought a nike vr pro 2 yesterday, my mc's should be in by wensday cant wait to hit them. i saw the head of the mc at proshop its so nice. i play tm 320's, im going from 320s to mc's gonna be sweet.

nice pics, i bought a nike vr pro 2 yesterday, my mc's should be in by wensday cant wait to hit them. i saw the head of the mc at proshop its so nice. i play tm 320's, im going from 320s to mc's gonna be sweet.

320's are very nice, but this is a great step-up. Congrats bro! How are the courses up in Allentown btw? I'm down in Hershey area, greens were a little soft today.

well i haven't been out on course yet its still real cold an crappy out. i hit sum balls but i might go golfing this week. i live right by center valley an saucon valley country club. ill be playing saucon with my grandfather hes a member. that place is simply amazing fairways are like carpets. how are they up by u, im playing in frank yelinko tournament may 7th at Allentown muni

well i haven't been out on course yet its still real cold an crappy out. i hit sum balls but i might go golfing this week. i live right by center valley an saucon valley country club. ill be playing saucon with my grandfather hes a member. that place is simply amazing fairways are like carpets. how are they up by u, im playing in frank yelinko tournament may 7th at Allentown muni

The greens were a little wet, but the fairways were pretty solid today. I can't wait to get my new set of CB's out there soon enough. I love the turf interaction of the scoring irons with the set. I only hit the MC on a mat so I didn't get to see how it dealt with the grass.

The greens were a little wet, but the fairways were pretty solid today. I can't wait to get my new set of CB's out there soon enough. I love the turf interaction of the scoring irons with the set. I only hit the MC on a mat so I didn't get to see how it dealt with the grass.

I'm sure you will be very impressed and pleased with how the MCs cut through the turf. I know I am.

sweet he said Wednesday by latest he said they ship from California, i got project x shafts in my mc's an now i got project x shaft in my driver my nike vr pro 2. try out the nike its soild has a hotter face than 910 d3 an r11. i hit both nike best, plus its a real project x shaft not a made for company its A 280 dollar shaft alone. plus u can go in quarter degrees instead of just half degrees.

Great posts G4L, Ddec and Setho, I love that you guys are getting out there on the course with these. G4L that sounds like a pretty dang nice driving range dude, I'm jealous!!

Well I finally was able to demo these bad boys at my home course. Amazing, to say the least. I hit the MC, CB, MB, & Burner 2.0. The MC was perfect for me. The 2.0 are great, but I prefer the looks and feel of the MC's. While I was out there I was able to hit all the other brand offerings and I am impressed with the MC's. They will be my next iron purchase, my old Mizuno T-Zoid's just lack the technology now a days.

Well I finally was able to demo these bad boys at my home course. Amazing, to say the least. I hit the MC, CB, MB, & Burner 2.0. The MC was perfect for me. The 2.0 are great, but I prefer the looks and feel of the MC's. While I was out there I was able to hit all the other brand offerings and I am impressed with the MC's. They will be my next iron purchase, my old Mizuno T-Zoid's just lack the technology now a days.

I feel the same way you do. The 2.0s are great clubs, very forgiving and very long... but I do love the look, feel and sound of the MCs. They are fun to play! I'm still in eval mode on what type of club is going to help me the most. Tomorrow its supposed to be 75* so I'm hoping to sneak out and play in the afternoon with the MCs. So far I've had good results with these clubs and hope that trend continues tomorrow.

Great posts G4L, Ddec and Setho, I love that you guys are getting out there on the course with these. G4L that sounds like a pretty dang nice driving range dude, I'm jealous!!

I love that I am getting out on the course with these clubs now too. Yesterdays round was fun, it was very windy, but who cares I was golfing. When I think of the round, 2 shots really stick out in my mind.

1)We have talked a lot about turf interaction and how these cut through the grass very easily. Well yesterday the course was soggy in spots, which was expected. Anyway I had a ball that was in the fairway on a damp spot, however there was no standing water there so I figured I'd be ok. I don't know if I got way too steep with my swing, but between the soft ground and sharp leading edge it led to the fattest shot I have ever hit in my life. When the ball landed it traveled about 25 yards shorter than I was hoping for and I had mud all over me.

2)The wind was brutal yesterday. On this shot I had 155 to the back of the green, in to the wind. I decided to take a 6 iron out and just make an easy swing. I aimed left of the green figuring if the wind got it the ball would end up on the right side. I caught the ball on the inside of the clubface which produced a weak shot that the wind just gobbled up. I was aimed about 5 yards left of the green and the ball ended up maybe 15 yards right of the green. I dropped another ball for fun and this time I made contact on the center of the face. The wind still took it, which was expected, and the ball ended up on the right fringe of the green.

Ordering my set this week. Can't wait!

:)

Thank you to all the guys reviewing these irons in this thread. Really appreciate your time in posting your thoughts.

Ordering my set this week. Can't wait!

:)

Thank you to all the guys reviewing these irons in this thread. Really appreciate your time in posting your thoughts.

Congrats on the purchase Jimmy.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Taylor Made Demo Day, ElDorado CC, McKinney TX - Forged Iron Thoughts

Taylor Made Demo Day, ElDorado CC, McKinney TX - Forged Iron Thoughts

I posted this also in the CB thread but since it deals with both clubs I went ahead and posted it again here:

The TM demo day finally arrived on Sunday only to get there to find out the rep had pulled his back and was not coming out....WTF!!!?? You can not imagine my disappointment when I heard this however, the head pro was working with the rep's manager to get someone else out. Finally, a couple hours later, a replacement arrived and I headed back over to the club for some forged iron testing!

First off, I grabbed the CB and MC 7 irons (stiff DG300). Wow, these are some good looking clubs! I started with the CB and hit about 10 shots and then moved to the CB for another 10. I then grabbed the same 2 in a PW and hit another 10 with each. After, I went with the 5 iron with both and did the same. Finally, moved back down to the 9 iron and another 10.

First thoughts right off the bat - the CB felt more like my X-20's coming off the face but my typical cut on the ball had probably decreased to a nice 5yds now. Sometimes my cut turns into a miss slice and you know it right when you hit it. The shots I hit when I knew I had missed it and expected a good slice miss ended up maybe a 15yd slice. Nice surprise! Now the MC's......I really liked these clubs! The sound the MC's made compared to the CB's was very different and both had a different feeling when stuck. The MC's I could just feel more and as a result my confidence just shot up as I continued to hit these clubs. Both clubs get a real nice launch on the ball, esp. with the 9i and PW. Personally, I think the difference between the CB's and the MC's is BIG time! I could tell which club was which based on the size of the heads. The CB is much bigger than the MC esp. when you place the ball in front the clubs. I think the distance was comparable but the CB's are slightly more forgiving which would be expected. Overall, I was very happy with both clubs but the MC's pulled away based on feel, distance and workability.

Then I moved on to hitting the MB's so I could compare them to the MC's. Both the MB and MC's look very similar when placed behind the ball. I could not tell them apart unless I looked at the back. I did the same, hitting about 5 balls with each club using the 7, 5, 9 and PW each time. First, the MB is one SHARP looking club!!! I hit the lower irons much better than I did the higher irons when it came to the MB's. I did notice a good 5-7yd loss in distance compared to the MC's and I think a large part of that was due to shots that were hit well but just not perfect. I really started pondering about mixing the clubs and possibly doing the MB's in PW-7i and going MC's in 6i-4i. But I kept coming back to the fact that I was hitting the MC's great, even after I would catch a good MB shot. It was just more consistent with the MC's and I found myself forcing the MB on myself. Well, I knew it and the decision was pretty clear and besides, I was getting pretty darn tired as I'd hit about 100 balls by then........

I am happy to announce that I will soon be the proud owner of the Taylor Made Forged MC irons, 4-PW, DG300 Stiff with 1/2inch extra length, 2 degrees upright and one more wrap on my Golf Pride white/black grips. I am really excited about these clubs and I think they will be keepers for a long long time. All 3 forged types are GREAT and I recommend that everyone who might be in the market for new irons go and try these. Thank you Taylor Made for making such great irons!!

Now off to sell my Callaway's!

nice writeup Nate!

I posted this also in the CB thread but since it deals with both clubs I went ahead and posted it again here:

The TM demo day finally arrived on Sunday only to get there to find out the rep had pulled his back and was not coming out....WTF!!!?? You can not imagine my disappointment when I heard this however, the head pro was working with the rep's manager to get someone else out. Finally, a couple hours later, a replacement arrived and I headed back over to the club for some forged iron testing!

First off, I grabbed the CB and MC 7 irons (stiff DG300). Wow, these are some good looking clubs! I started with the CB and hit about 10 shots and then moved to the CB for another 10. I then grabbed the same 2 in a PW and hit another 10 with each. After, I went with the 5 iron with both and did the same. Finally, moved back down to the 9 iron and another 10.

First thoughts right off the bat - the CB felt more like my X-20's coming off the face but my typical cut on the ball had probably decreased to a nice 5yds now. Sometimes my cut turns into a miss slice and you know it right when you hit it. The shots I hit when I knew I had missed it and expected a good slice miss ended up maybe a 15yd slice. Nice surprise! Now the MC's......I really liked these clubs! The sound the MC's made compared to the CB's was very different and both had a different feeling when stuck. The MC's I could just feel more and as a result my confidence just shot up as I continued to hit these clubs. Both clubs get a real nice launch on the ball, esp. with the 9i and PW. Personally, I think the difference between the CB's and the MC's is BIG time! I could tell which club was which based on the size of the heads. The CB is much bigger than the MC esp. when you place the ball in front the clubs. I think the distance was comparable but the CB's are slightly more forgiving which would be expected. Overall, I was very happy with both clubs but the MC's pulled away based on feel, distance and workability.

Then I moved on to hitting the MB's so I could compare them to the MC's. Both the MB and MC's look very similar when placed behind the ball. I could not tell them apart unless I looked at the back. I did the same, hitting about 5 balls with each club using the 7, 5, 9 and PW each time. First, the MB is one SHARP looking club!!! I hit the lower irons much better than I did the higher irons when it came to the MB's. I did notice a good 5-7yd loss in distance compared to the MC's and I think a large part of that was due to shots that were hit well but just not perfect. I really started pondering about mixing the clubs and possibly doing the MB's in PW-7i and going MC's in 6i-4i. But I kept coming back to the fact that I was hitting the MC's great, even after I would catch a good MB shot. It was just more consistent with the MC's and I found myself forcing the MB on myself. Well, I knew it and the decision was pretty clear and besides, I was getting pretty darn tired as I'd hit about 100 balls by then........

I am happy to announce that I will soon be the proud owner of the Taylor Made Forged MC irons, 4-PW, DG300 Stiff with 1/2inch extra length, 2 degrees upright and one more wrap on my Golf Pride white/black grips. I am really excited about these clubs and I think they will be keepers for a long long time. All 3 forged types are GREAT and I recommend that everyone who might be in the market for new irons go and try these. Thank you Taylor Made for making such great irons!!

Now off to sell my Callaway's!

Congrats Nate!!! Another one joins the TP fan club! I felt the same exact way about the MCs vs the CBs. I really like the CBs, but the weight and everything about the MCs just felt right. I am ordering myself a set today and I could not be more excited. I am going with MCs PW-6 and CBs 5-4. This is a great day!

Congrats Nate!!! Another one joins the TP fan club! I felt the same exact way about the MCs vs the CBs. I really like the CBs, but the weight and everything about the MCs just felt right. I am ordering myself a set today and I could not be more excited. I am going with MCs PW-6 and CBs 5-4. This is a great day!

Nice Dr. T!!! I know you have to be excited to finally place the order.

I finally tracked down a lefty MC to try out this weekend. Overall I was very pleased with my results. Aesthetically it is a very pleasing shape, topline, and the club has a nice finish. I had previously been fitted for the R9TPs but waited until these guys came out to decide and order. Below are the average results from both irons. For whatever reason both places that I was fitted at did not have the x100 shaft in an inch long so they put me on an s300 +1 inch. I currently game the x100 and that is what I ended up ordering. In both cases i was using the Callaway Tour i(z) ball. Below are my results from each iron:

R9TP 6 iron TTDG S300 + 1
Mean Clubhead Speed: 97mph
Mean Ball Speed:120.1
Mean Carry Distance: 179.2
Mean Total Distance: 184.4
StDev (Total Distance): 4.8 yds
Clustering Diameter: 15.2 yds
Launch Angle: 20.1

Tour Preferred MC 6 iron TTDG S300 + 1
Mean Clubhead Speed: 96mph
Mean Ball Speed:119.4
Mean Carry Distance: 182.4
Mean Total Distance: 185.2
StDev (Total Distance): 4.5 yds
Clustering Diameter: 13.4 yds
Launch Angle: 19.5

Overall I was really happy with the MC irons. The sound was a little different but something that I can get used to. The feel of the irons was nice. I think that the MC gave me a little more feedback (which is a good thing). I like the profile of the MC more and the satin finish is a definite plus in my book. One thing I noticed was that I felt myself focusing more with the MCs in my hand. I couldn't tell you why. Previously I had been gaming something close to an X-20/X-22 so perhaps the smaller profile made me concentrate on making solid contact knowing that I (might) have a smaller sweetspot.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the Tour Preferred MCs. I went 3 through PW, 2 degrees up, 1 inch long. I stuck with the TT DG X100s. I did try the KBS Tour shaft but did not like the feel of it. I'm pretty used to the feel of the DGs. Hopefully they come soon! I'm getting tired of looking at my cheap-ohs!

I finally tracked down a lefty MC to try out this weekend. Overall I was very pleased with my results. Aesthetically it is a very pleasing shape, topline, and the club has a nice finish. I had previously been fitted for the R9TPs but waited until these guys came out to decide and order. Below are the average results from both irons. For whatever reason both places that I was fitted at did not have the x100 shaft in an inch long so they put me on an s300 +1 inch. I currently game the x100 and that is what I ended up ordering. In both cases i was using the Callaway Tour i(z) ball. Below are my results from each iron:

R9TP 6 iron TTDG S300 + 1
Mean Clubhead Speed: 97mph
Mean Ball Speed:120.1
Mean Carry Distance: 179.2
Mean Total Distance: 184.4
StDev (Total Distance): 4.8 yds
Clustering Diameter: 15.2 yds
Launch Angle: 20.1

Tour Preferred MC 6 iron TTDG S300 + 1
Mean Clubhead Speed: 96mph
Mean Ball Speed:119.4
Mean Carry Distance: 182.4
Mean Total Distance: 185.2
StDev (Total Distance): 4.5 yds
Clustering Diameter: 13.4 yds
Launch Angle: 19.5

Overall I was really happy with the MC irons. The sound was a little different but something that I can get used to. The feel of the irons was nice. I think that the MC gave me a little more feedback (which is a good thing). I like the profile of the MC more and the satin finish is a definite plus in my book. One thing I noticed was that I felt myself focusing more with the MCs in my hand. I couldn't tell you why. Previously I had been gaming something close to an X-20/X-22 so perhaps the smaller profile made me concentrate on making solid contact knowing that I (might) have a smaller sweetspot.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the Tour Preferred MCs. I went 3 through PW, 2 degrees up, 1 inch long. I stuck with the TT DG X100s. I did try the KBS Tour shaft but did not like the feel of it. I'm pretty used to the feel of the DGs. Hopefully they come soon! I'm getting tired of looking at my cheap-ohs!

Boom! Another order for the MCs. Nice that you were able to compare the R9 TPs and the MCs side by side.

Thanks Doc! I thought it might be difficult to pick between the MC's and the CB's but at the end it was a no brainer. Now lets see who gets them in first! Ha!

Back