TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I put my order in last Friday with my pro. He said it would be a couple of weeks. I don't even want to play with my old irons. The anticipation is killing me. When he says "a couple of weeks" does he mean 14days or does that mean he'll start asking the rep for them after a couple of weeks?

That stinks man I am a very impatient person so that would be killing me! BTW, welcome to THP! Be sure to post and introduce yourself in the new members thread so everyone can meet you!

So I was looking over some videos I took at the Kingdom and forgot that I didn't include this video about the TaylorMade TP Irons Forging Process. This is Brian Bazzel who is one of the head iron/wedges engineers for TaylorMade. He is discussing how TaylorMade goes about its forging process. I thought this would be a treat for everyone trying out, buying, or testing the new TP irons. Enjoy All!!

Here are what the irons look like as they go through the process.

DSCN1540.jpg

So I was looking over some videos I took at the Kingdom and forgot that I didn't include this video about the TaylorMade TP Irons Forging Process. This is Brian Bazzel who is one of the head iron/wedges engineers for TaylorMade. He is discussing how TaylorMade goes about its forging process. I thought this would be a treat for everyone trying out, buying, or testing the new TP irons. Enjoy All!!

Here are what the irons look like as they go through the process.

REALLY cool. Thanks for sharing.

I knew I should of stayed away from THP.....after reading almost every single page of this site. I just bought MC with a DGS300

I used to play 2.6 and because of back problems, I was out of this lovely game for about 5 years. Finally coming back I jumped and made a big commitment by replacing my entire equipment.

I got a TM R11 9 TP driver, TM R11 3 strong TP, TM R11 #3 resuce TP, and Callaway Tour X-Proto with PX flighted.....the story is that after getting back for only two months and literally living at the range trying to get somewhat comfortable with my swing I was feeling pains I've never felt before ever.....

Always, played DGS300...grew up playing old Muirfield's and so blades has always been in my bag. I don't know if it's the proto's or the PX shafts, but man it just felt wrong and hard (boardy).....obviously my game is not near close to where it was, but to top it all off.....just as I was getting somewhat comfortable with my swing on the 16th hole of this one course, I somehow injure something. I'm like #$#^#!!!!! what is this pain?...and so with pain I finish off the round where later I can't even do a half swing!!!! Long story short, I think I injured my inter-coastal muscle. In pain sneezing and coughing let alone swinging. Man....just kill me. All meanwhile my buddy is calling me after every round LOL...what a jack#$#!!! It's alright, I'll take his whole wallet when I get back with my NEW STICKS...KEKEKE

Anyway....while trying to rest (been week and a half, and feeling little better to swing but still hurts) I started to think...maybe I need to let go of my ego and think about going to GI clubs. so I was about to make a trigger on either adams CB1 or CB2, and even considered the TM 2.0's. Then.....my buddy says, "have you seen the new TM MC"? I said, "NO...why"? he adds, "I hear it's freakin awesome"!!!! so with my curiosity, I come to my recent favorite site THP...and lo and behold, I see this thread. Google this club and see one on auction ending like 10 min.....I'm sweating and my heart is like beating faster and faster...."what do I do"? I haven't finished reading this thread??? and the Mrs will kick me out of the house...I just spent like $2000 and now this???? couldn't resist.....I'll bet one last time, and if I don't win it wasn't meant to be, meanwhile trying to read as fast as I can Yup...I win it.....LOL Talk about spontaneous purchases!!!! Anything to help out our economy!!!

anyway...sorry for the long post...just thought to share cause I was laughing after winning the auction.

so...MY question...I've been reading a lot about this KBS shaft (I've been away remember?). Obviously I'm going to be hitting the MC's when it gets here next week with the DGS300, but what benefit will I get besides the ball will fly higher and less spin? Been playing like 20 years with true temper....what is the major difference?

I'm even thinking about the KBS Tour 90? As I'm hitting 44...lighter isn't necessarily a bad thing I'm thinking......

thx

thanks for the vid Mardin!

Awesome vid Mardin. And I just want to give a shout out to all that are participating in the trials of these new irons. I can't stop reading these threads and always looking to see any new content. Keep up the great work for us and THP.

I knew I should of stayed away from THP.....after reading almost every single page of this site. I just bought MC with a DGS300

I used to play 2.6 and because of back problems, I was out of this lovely game for about 5 years. Finally coming back I jumped and made a big commitment by replacing my entire equipment.

I got a TM R11 9 TP driver, TM R11 3 strong TP, TM R11 #3 resuce TP, and Callaway Tour X-Proto with PX flighted.....the story is that after getting back for only two months and literally living at the range trying to get somewhat comfortable with my swing I was feeling pains I've never felt before ever.....

Always, played DGS300...grew up playing old Muirfield's and so blades has always been in my bag. I don't know if it's the proto's or the PX shafts, but man it just felt wrong and hard (boardy).....obviously my game is not near close to where it was, but to top it all off.....just as I was getting somewhat comfortable with my swing on the 16th hole of this one course, I somehow injure something. I'm like #$#^#!!!!! what is this pain?...and so with pain I finish off the round where later I can't even do a half swing!!!! Long story short, I think I injured my inter-coastal muscle. In pain sneezing and coughing let alone swinging. Man....just kill me. All meanwhile my buddy is calling me after every round LOL...what a jack#$#!!! It's alright, I'll take his whole wallet when I get back with my NEW STICKS...KEKEKE

Anyway....while trying to rest (been week and a half, and feeling little better to swing but still hurts) I started to think...maybe I need to let go of my ego and think about going to GI clubs. so I was about to make a trigger on either adams CB1 or CB2, and even considered the TM 2.0's. Then.....my buddy says, "have you seen the new TM MC"? I said, "NO...why"? he adds, "I hear it's freakin awesome"!!!! so with my curiosity, I come to my recent favorite site THP...and lo and behold, I see this thread. Google this club and see one on auction ending like 10 min.....I'm sweating and my heart is like beating faster and faster...."what do I do"? I haven't finished reading this thread??? and the Mrs will kick me out of the house...I just spent like $2000 and now this???? couldn't resist.....I'll bet one last time, and if I don't win it wasn't meant to be, meanwhile trying to read as fast as I can Yup...I win it.....LOL Talk about spontaneous purchases!!!! Anything to help out our economy!!!

anyway...sorry for the long post...just thought to share cause I was laughing after winning the auction.

so...MY question...I've been reading a lot about this KBS shaft (I've been away remember?). Obviously I'm going to be hitting the MC's when it gets here next week with the DGS300, but what benefit will I get besides the ball will fly higher and less spin? Been playing like 20 years with true temper....what is the major difference?

I'm even thinking about the KBS Tour 90? As I'm hitting 44...lighter isn't necessarily a bad thing I'm thinking......

thx

I think the biggest benefit you will see with the KBS shaft is smoothness. They are very smooth. They feel way better than the PX shafts imo. Have you thought about putting some sensicores in your shafts. I have heard from people who experience arm and back pain that they really help.

Awesome vid Mardin. And I just want to give a shout out to all that are participating in the trials of these new irons. I can't stop reading these threads and always looking to see any new content. Keep up the great work for us and THP.

Thanks HL! I had a great day with my irons yesterday. I am still in love/in awe of the sound that the club makes when it strikes the ball. The weather was pretty warm yesterday and I noticed that the ball was flying a bit further than I am used to. I am absolute love with the weighting.

You can tell that this metal is very soft. I had bag chatter with only a couple of weeks of getting the irons. These KBS shafts interest me a lot. I might go through a fitting and potentially change them out when I get a new job. I am really liking what I am seeing out of my S300's right now though. I am being like TC and his shaft pondering, the KBS shafts intrigue me.

I hate TapaTalk signatures...

Was able to squeeze off a few shots with these at the range yesterday before my round thanks to G4L. In a way I think these felt better than the CB's I'm currently sporting. I'm not sure if that's due to the stiff shaft he has in them or if the MC just works for me. The feel was crisper and the distance was about the same but the biggest difference was the trajectory of the shots. Not very high and absolutely a mid level ball flight with a nice, tight shot dispersion. I don't have issues with getting the ball up into the air so these irons may be more fitting of my swing with the current configuration G4L has with his irons. The same familiar crack of the TM Tour line was there as well. TM has really got a nice line of irons for players looking for other options beyond the Burner 2.0 offering.

Mardin that was a great video and pics!

So, my local pro shop still does not have the TP line. However, the head pro himself does, and he just gave me his 5 iron to take out to the range and try out. Man, I am liking my local pro shop more and more over the big box stores.

Anyways, as you can see below, I currently game the TM 300 forged iron. Considered one of the greatest irons TM has ever put out, I have been somewhat reluctant to switch clubs. However, it was going to cost me a fortune to get the grooves re-cut (chrome plating issue), so I've been casually shopping new irons. I've been thinking about the CBs and MCs primarily.

For those of you who want a comparison between the MCs and 300 forged, here it is. First the size. The club head, for both is almost exactly the same. The shape is slightly different, but not enough to be noticeable when your just looking down at them. The cavity's are the same size. The offset is nearly identical. The topline of the MC is actually a little bigger, which I found to be surprising.

As for the swinging of the club. The balance of the club is more evenly distributed on the MC than the 300. It's a heavier club head feel on the 300. Both clubs glide through the turf. The MC launches fractionally higher, but it also goes about 5-10 yards further. Both clubs had about the same forgiveness on mishits, and both clubs let you know when you hit one off the toe.

As a general conclusion, having hit both of these side by side, the TM TP MC is essentially the next generation of the 300 forged iron. They seem to have a near identical design scheme. The 300 has what's called a 'cavity pad' behind the sweet spot of the ball. The MC put in the tuning port weight or whatever they call it.

I'm not trying to say that these aren't any better than my 10 year old clubs. They're better balance and fractionally longer. Here is what I'm trying to say. 10 years ago, TM came out with the 300 forged, considered one of the best player's cavities ever put out by TM. In golf digest's obsolete list put out in 2010, the 300 forged irons still had a 'half of battery' left in them. Try finding any other 10 year old set of irons that golf digest considers playable still against new clubs. When I say the TM MC seems like the next generation 300 forged, I'm saying I think the MC could be a set of irons that a person could game for 10-12 years without them becoming obsolete.

I feel like I rambled and was a little confusing, so i'd better stop here. These MCs really felt great today though.

was able to take these on the course today, in yet again very windy conditions. Out of the rounds that I have taken these out on the course, today was by far my best ball striking day. I had a stretch where I hit 5 GIR's in a row, which in these conditions was a great accomplishment. Off the tee I hit both par 3's and each left me with birdie putts within 15 feet. My confidence is growing with these irons. I am planning on heading to the range after work tomorrow as golf season has officially started for me and now it's time to get to work.

On course distances that I am seeing are still similar to that of my previous set, which had similar lofts. No fat shots to report of today, which was nice. Sometimes with that sharp leading edge I can tend to dig in rather deep.

My home course opens up this weds, and since it's my birthday weekend I plan on spending as much time as possible over at the course.

I went to one of my local ranges/ pro shops and they just got the Tmag TP's in. They didn't have them out on the floor but I asked and they let me hit the MC's. Even though I ordered the CB's, I think (on a good day) I could game these clubs. They are really smooth through the turf. I hit them off the matts and grass and they performed very well.

Good news or bad news?

Start with the bad news...

TMAG had these listed in stock, when in reality they're back ordered until May. I had ordered them stock w/ S300's and was hoping to have them this past weekend. Bummer!!!

Now the good news...

Spent some with a trackman and a fitting cart on Friday. With my AP2 710's w/ S300's my ss is around 86 mph w/ a 6 iron. Contact usually out towards the toe. On course 6 iron usually goes 160 - 165.

Went through some setups and finally found it.... TM MC w/ KBS Tour stiff @ + 1/2" & 2* up. SS average was 92-93 mph. Average carry was up over 20 yards over my AP2. Thought it was too good to be true.

So I took the 6 iron out on the course Saturday. It was late in the afternoon and course was dead so I was able to drop a variety of balls to use the demo club. Just as the trackman indicated, I was at least 20 yards further with this setup then my gamers. Ball flight was amazing. Cut through the wind, stopped on a dime. Could it it low, high, draw, cut, etc. Just loved them.

Calling TMAG today too see if I can change my order and then "patiently" wait it out. The crazy thing is that the demo cart 6 iron's swingweight was D4,5!!! I'm considering ordering the set at then same weight with the success that I had.

GREAT IRONS!!!!

How much would you attribute your increased carry to the shaft and the fact they were bent upright?

Good news or bad news?

TMAG had these listed in stock, when in reality they're back ordered until May. I had ordered them stock w/ S300's and was hoping to have them this past weekend. Bummer!!!

Now the good news...

Spent some with a trackman and a fitting cart on Friday. With my AP2 710's w/ S300's my ss is around 86 mph w/ a 6 iron. Contact usually out towards the toe. On course 6 iron usually goes 160 - 165.

Went through some setups and finally found it.... TM MC w/ KBS Tour stiff @ + 1/2" & 2* up. SS average was 92-93 mph. Average carry was up over 20 yards over my AP2. Thought it was too good to be true.

So I took the 6 iron out on the course Saturday. It was late in the afternoon and course was dead so I was able to drop a variety of balls to use the demo club. Just as the trackman indicated, I was at least 20 yards further with this setup then my gamers. Ball flight was amazing. Cut through the wind, stopped on a dime. Could it it low, high, draw, cut, etc. Just loved them.

Calling TMAG today too see if I can change my order and then "patiently" wait it out. The crazy thing is that the demo cart 6 iron's swingweight was D4,5!!! I'm considering ordering the set at then same weight with the success that I had.

GREAT IRONS!!!!

Good news or bad news?

Now the good news...

GREAT IRONS!!!!

Well it stinks that they are back ordered till May, but hopefully you can get that shaft change in.

How much would you attribute your increased carry to the shaft and the fact they were bent upright?

Let me rephrase that second part. How much would you attribute them being bent (and possibly a better fit for your swing) to the increased carry.

My current irons are 1* up. I'm sure the additional length is due to a better overall fit considering shaft, length and head. My trajectory/spin is MUCH better.

The heavy sw @ D4.5 just felt really really comfortable to me.

To conclude....combination of it all.

I will say these heads feel AMAZING and the sole/turf interaction was perfect for me with the 6 iron. Hoping the rest of the set performs just as well.

Thanks for the response, Jimmy. Hope these irons work out well for you :)

My current irons are 1* up. I'm sure the additional length is due to a better overall fit considering shaft, length and head. My trajectory/spin is MUCH better.

The heavy sw @ D4.5 just felt really really comfortable to me.

To conclude....combination of it all.

I will say these heads feel AMAZING and the sole/turf interaction was perfect for me with the 6 iron. Hoping the rest of the set performs just as well.

Thanks for the response, Jimmy. Hope these irons work out well for you :)

I think the biggest thing may have been the +1/2". I've always been a sweeper/picker. I found myself taking nice little divots and much more solid contact. Plus, the additional length and a bit more upright brought my striking in from the toe where I normally am. Just a much better overall fit.

These irons are REALLY good though. Definitely worth a try if you haven't already.

I think the biggest thing may have been the +1/2". I've always been a sweeper/picker. I found myself taking nice little divots and much more solid contact. Plus, the additional length and a bit more upright brought my striking in from the toe where I normally am. Just a much better overall fit.

These irons are REALLY good though. Definitely worth a try if you haven't already.

there is something to be said about a properly fit iron. Which is why it's always good to get a fitting. I agree on the bold part, these and the CBs are worth hitting if you haven't.

I haven't received a backorder status from TMAG yet. I will probably call today when I get out of work and before I go to my next job.

Kind of concerned, but not overly concerned. TMAG will get it right.

Those "tiny" tweaks always give massive improvement on the course. That sweet KBS shaft probably doesn't hurt either.

I haven't received a backorder status from TMAG yet. I will probably call today when I get out of work and before I go to my next job.

Kind of concerned, but not overly concerned. TMAG will get it right.

I didn't receive one either. Actually called because I paid for overnight. Said they had their inventory wrong in the system and were hoping to receive them first week in May :/

Back