TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

i love my mc's there amazin the look the feel an the weight is amazing. they have two steps above my 320's b y taylormade. def one best irons out there now. i have project x rifle shafts in my mc's same ones as phil an many other players. love project x shafts i can hit low launching shots far.

I thought about going KBS. I liked the feel just a little bit better... smoother to me. However, the launch was 3* higher and I already hit the ball high enough.

DG S300 for me. Not the XPs. I also tried the ProjX, but I think I was testing the Rifles and I hated them.

I thought about going KBS. I liked the feel just a little bit better... smoother to me. However, the launch was 3* higher and I already hit the ball high enough.

DG S300 for me. Not the XPs. I also tried the ProjX, but I think I was testing the Rifles and I hated them.
i got stiff shafts in the mc's in project x.

well i was fitting on a laugh monitor an lie angle an everything. an project x was best shaft for my swing. 102 or 105 ss with 6iron. my average with driver was 115 i hit 125 a couple times.

I had a great time demoing the TP irons.
I loved the feel of the MBs but I know I am no where near good enough to play them on the course - but I could hit even the 3 iron quite well on the mats!
On to CBs, for some reason I could not hit these very well, I would either hook them or slice them, but it could be the shaft since I don't really like S300s but that was all that was available for demo.
Now, my favorite, MCs with KBS tour. These irons are soft but crisp and quite long. I completely agree that it is very well balanced and as long as I put a smooth swing on them, it almost feels like they hit themselves. No mishits from 3 to 8 iron, all nice high, penetrating ball flights. They were probably the same distance as my X-22 tours but felt oh so sweet and dispersion was so tight! All TP irons seem to be more forgiving than comparable Mizuno or Titleist irons too. I definitely see a set of MCs in the future...

I am glad to hear they seem to be a little more forgiving than other irons in this category that was one thing I was curious about. I am really anxious to try these out but I definitely think I want to try them with the KBS Tour shafts because it sounds like people seem to like those better. I know it all comes down to preference, but I really liked the KBS Tours on the R9 TP.

I haven't received a backorder status from TMAG yet. I will probably call today when I get out of work and before I go to my next job.

Kind of concerned, but not overly concerned. TMAG will get it right.

After a few conversations, it's all been sorted out. I was able to adjust my order to my new setup thanks to Brian @ TMAG.

To clarify... STOCK setups are back ordered until early May. However, CUSTOM setups are not.

Mine will be shipping early next week. :banana: :taylormade:

After a few conversations, it's all been sorted out. I was able to adjust my order to my new setup thanks to Brian @ TMAG.

To clarify... STOCK setups are back ordered until early May. However, CUSTOM setups are not.

Great News! Mine will be here tomorrow! The wife has to go to school so it'll be high time to get back on the links!

wow, I wonder if that goes for something as easy as a grip change too, or if it just refers to a shaft change. I know when my mashie order was delayed Patty from Blind9 golf suggested I make it a custom order and just add 1 layer of tape under the grip and I would get it faster. Sure enough after we placed that order my club was shipped 2 days later.

wow, I wonder if that goes for something as easy as a grip change too, or if it just refers to a shaft change. I know when my mashie order was delayed Patty from Blind9 golf suggested I make it a custom order and just add 1 layer of tape under the grip and I would get it faster. Sure enough after we placed that order my club was shipped 2 days later.

I find it funny how that works, you think it would be the other way around. Then again the people buying custom stuff might be more prone to purchase more from them in the future. I guess stock/standard stuff is backordered for the big stores.

I LOVE that this thread is starting to come alive with people ordering/receiving their irons. The feedback here is awesome and I fully expect that the more people we get posting their thoughts the more valuable this thread becomes for other consumers.

I was able to get outside this weekend for the first time in a month. It was sloppy wet and I ended up playing really bad golf all day (shot a 94, Opened up double, triple). Today was the first time I had really been "hurt" by the sharp leading edge of these irons. I hit several very fat shots because the irons dug on me. I started trying to pick at the ball a lot resulting in a lot of thin shots, and a general feeling of helplessness in my swing.

By the back 9 I was able to sort through things and my game really improved. I have successfully been able to lower the flight on my 8-5 irons over the past week and I am starting to see some consistency on the shot shape. I still have a long way to go but the irons are growing with me as I become a better golfer, which is something that I think is important for most amateurs. They are doing a good job tolerating my current swing and are responding well to a new and improved swing.

This most recent round reinforced something that really surprises me. Sometime over this winter, ball striking became the best part of my game. That is weird for me to even type. My strength has always been my driving and now it is changing. I still have some pretty big misshits, and my irons still cost me shots here and there... but I have more confidence standing over these than I do my driver. I must add that the PW is my favorite club in the bag right now, and I am HAPPY to leave any shot from 90-120 because I know the PW gives me the best chance of all my clubs to knock it close.

To follow up a bad round, I decided to make my way to the range yesterday after work and put some time in. It was still very wet and I couldn't find a range with open grass bays so I had to settle for mats. After a little tweaking I was able to improve my 7i flight considerably and produce repeatable shot shapes (my fade has slowly transitioned into a baby draw, with the occasion fade and heavy draw worked in). I am again impressed with the ability of these irons to work with my swing and also to grow with me into a better swing that I am starting to groove.

This most recent round reinforced something that really surprises me. Sometime over this winter, ball striking became the best part of my game. That is weird for me to even type.

Off-topic for a second - but I found that my ball striking had improved greatly over the winter and I hadn't really touched the clubs a whole lot. My action got a lot simpler over the winter, and even playing last weekend I found myself getting a little long and had to reign it back in.

Back on topic - Thank you to those of you who have cleared up the availability of these irons for me. My retailer has been dearth on details of my order (they don't even know if my order has shipped from TMAG). The best they could do was it was supposed to ship last Monday. Reading this thread has given me hope that I won't have to wait until May to get the irons.

Loving the reviews!

I find it funny how that works, you think it would be the other way around. Then again the people buying custom stuff might be more prone to purchase more from them in the future. I guess stock/standard stuff is backordered for the big stores.

Just a thought here...

Might be due to where the clubs are assembled?

WOW I have to call Brian today at lunch!!! I also did a custom order and if I get these sometime next week or even the following I will (poop).

Good point.

Does anyone know if TM assembles and ships all their clubs from their California location?

I think Kurtcobainrulzz had said that his irons were coming from California. Not sure where mine are coming from but I would assume the same place.

I just watched the video Mardin. Thanks for that and rep added.

My clubs are suppose to ship today so we shall see.......*fingers crossed*!

My MC's arrived today. Guy at the store said that he hadn't seen the Tour Preferred box with the graphics on it yet. Clubs shipped UPS Blue (2nd Day Air) from California. You've seen pictures of how they ship. One thing you might not have seen yet is a nice little add in from Taylormade. Inside the box was an envelope containing a poker chip with a code for a free dozen of Penta's. I don't play them normally but I'll give them another shot if it's a free dozen balls. I'll report after my range session tomorrow!

letter:
http://imgur.com/v4UQY

poker chip:
http://imgur.com/a6JxL

Sorry couldn't get them to appear in my post.

The letter and the poker chip are nice little added touches. I hope I get them with my CB's. On a side note: I played a great round last weekend with the Pentas (first time playing them). I really enjoyed them with my long irons.

Called TMAG and it is confirmed that my order went through and will likely ship next week or early the following week. I also asked about what kind of upcharge it would be for NDMC Whites and Brian said not to worry about it that he would take care of me and I will have some whites on my clubs.

EXCITED!

My MC's arrived today. Guy at the store said that he hadn't seen the Tour Preferred box with the graphics on it yet. Clubs shipped UPS Blue (2nd Day Air) from California. You've seen pictures of how they ship. One thing you might not have seen yet is a nice little add in from Taylormade. Inside the box was an envelope containing a poker chip with a code for a free dozen of Penta's. I don't play them normally but I'll give them another shot if it's a free dozen balls. I'll report after my range session tomorrow!

letter:
http://imgur.com/v4UQY

poker chip:
http://imgur.com/a6JxL

Sorry couldn't get them to appear in my post.

Never gets old seeing and watching someone upbox for the first time............:drool:

My MC's have arrived. More to follow.

Back