Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Dayum!! 1200 balls?!! I'd be in the hospital for a week. Nice going man. Sounds like you are working hard. I'm still going to kick your ass when you come down though.

First and last time I will ever hit that many balls in one day, had aroof to do this morning but it was raining till about 12 so not much else to do, but we are dailed in so wacth out. Oh yeah the only #@$ your going to kick is about your own

Had one of those range sessions today. It started off great. Hitting everything clean and crisp. The pro I took my last lesson from was out there too and he even said how nice I was hitting. Then I moved on to the 3w. Even was hitting that good. Back to irons for a bit. Then to the driver. Even that was good. And then I lost it. All the sudden everything was fat, thin or a weird shank out to the right. I think I got tired. I'll go with that and say I had another solid session on the range. Before the end everything was high, far and landing soft.

Had one of those range sessions today. It started off great. Hitting everything clean and crisp. The pro I took my last lesson from was out there too and he even said how nice I was hitting. Then I moved on to the 3w. Even was hitting that good. Back to irons for a bit. Then to the driver. Even that was good. And then I lost it. All the sudden everything was fat, thin or a weird shank out to the right. I think I got tired. I'll go with that and say I had another solid session on the range. Before the end everything was high, far and landing soft.

Kev I'm thinking Di11's vs One-T & Yorkem Saturday morning. We can't lose with this much power!!

good session bro....I've had that happen too where it's just gone and no matter how hard you try to find it you can't. Glad you got back in the groove with the 3w!

Well, after 14 holes with the Di11, initial thoughts.....they ain't the Ci9's. Unless I was just missing every damn swing, they sure don't feel any more forgiving than the Ci9's and maybe even less...if that's possible. 54 hole, 3 day test starting next Thursday. 18-Thursday, 36 Friday & 36 Saturday.

We shall see.

Well, after 14 holes with the Di11, initial thoughts.....they ain't the Ci9's. Unless I was just missing every damn swing, they sure don't feel any more forgiving than the Ci9's and maybe even less...if that's possible. 54 hole, 3 day test starting next Thursday. 18-Thursday, 36 Friday & 36 Saturday.

We shall see.

Good luck man, looking forward to your thoughts. I think the Di11's take some time to get used to, but I find them very forgiving. I've never played the ci9's so I can't speak to which might be more forgiving, but have some good rounds.

Good luck man, looking forward to your thoughts. I think the Di11's take some time to get used to, but I find them very forgiving. I've never played the ci9's so I can't speak to which might be more forgiving, but have some good rounds.

I think the FST ss105 shafts in the Ci9s have A WHOLE BUNCH to do with it.

We shall see.

It has to be a shaft matchup or fitting issue. More mass in almost every place would mean more forgiving in general senses.

I like the look of these and was impressed when I was reading about the technology, but I was put off by them the same reason I was put off the Cobra S2 Forged irons: 43 degree PW

I like the look of these and was impressed when I was reading about the technology, but I was put off by them the same reason I was put off the Cobra S2 Forged irons: 43 degree PW

I don't really want to get into this discussion here, but the 43* PW in this set, flies higher than any 47* PW I have ever had, it just goes further. Plus the AW that comes with the set is great, and when you get used to hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots with your PW and AW, there is no "gap" in the bag. I love standing at the 150 marker debating on hitting a smooth 8 iron or a hard 9, that gives me confindence that I'm going to hit a good shot, versus hitting a 7 iron.

I don't really want to get into this discussion here, but the 43* PW in this set, flies higher than any 47* PW I have ever had, it just goes further. Plus the AW that comes with the set is great, and when you get used to hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots with your PW and AW, there is no "gap" in the bag. I love standing at the 150 marker debating on hitting a smooth 8 iron or a hard 9, that gives me confindence that I'm going to hit a good shot, versus hitting a 7 iron.

Very true. I guess my issue would that it would mess up all my wedges and I would have to get used to new distances etc.
Also, I assumed that hitting a Di11 7 iron would be not dissimilar to hitting a normal 6 - would be that bit more difficult. I would had to have tried them, of course.

Interesting what you say regarding ball flight, though.

Very true. I guess my issue would that it would mess up all my wedges and I would have to get used to new distances etc.
Also, I assumed that hitting a Di11 7 iron would be not dissimilar to hitting a normal 6 - would be that bit more difficult. I would had to have tried them, of course.

Interesting what you say regarding ball flight, though.

I can see why you would think this, the 7 iron is longer than almost every other 7 iron, but you get used to the added length very quickly, and I will add that these might be the easiest to hit irons I have played. I've never been able to hit a 4 iron as well as I can the 4 iron in this set and its a good inch longer than any other 4 iron on the market (I got my set plus 1/2 inch long).

Played 27 holes with the Di11's yesterday, and as usual they performed incredibly well. Its starting to warm up a little bit here, and the fairways are drying out, so I'm having to get used to a little extra distance than I was seeing before. Best shot of the day was a 168 yard (lasered the flag) over water into the wind a little. Pulled a 6 iron, and flushed it, ball flew right over the flag, hit and stopped, 5 feet from the flag, BIRDIE! I can't express how much I love the ball flight of these irons, with the greens starting to firm up, I'm able to hold greens with long irons because I'm coming in from much higher. My miss lately has become a little towards the heel, but each time I missed a little bit, I could tell exactly where I missed on the club face and was able to adjust what I was doing, I could do all this while not being punished all that much on the bad shot itself. With these irons, and the many many rounds that I have played, I've only shot two rounds in the 90's, every other round has been in the 80's. That says it all for me.

I think the FST ss105 shafts in the Ci9s have A WHOLE BUNCH to do with it.

Personally i LUV the FST ss105 shafts, good luck tho i hope you get on better with the Di11's. I hit them a few weeks ago and they were very forgiving for me but, they do require a much smoother and somewhat slower swing than the Ci9's do.

Its really not that big of a deal if you really think about it. Players irons are the only irons that have traditional lofts anymore atleast that i know of anyway. Even middle forgivness G.I. irons have 44* and 45* PW's so if you think about it 43*'s isnt that much different. Plus like Coolbreeze said even tho they have jacked up lofts the ballflight is still the right ballflight for every iron. Honestly tho the biggest reason that its not a big deal is if you need S.G.I. irons more than likely you dont need a wedge over 56* anyway cause anything over that is just really hard to hit good consistently, which will hurt your scoring. I'm hitting my irons better than ever right now but i still cannot hit my 60* anywere close to consistently and i have taken it outta the bag for good. Now the 56* is my highest wedge and really thats all i need anyway, good luck in your search.

My miss lately has become a little towards the heel, but each time I missed a little bit, I could tell exactly where I missed on the club face

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Forgiving" and feeling every little miss doesn't go together to me. The Ci9's were just the opposite, a little miss still felt good. Also I must say that the set I was demoing side by side with the Ci9s had the half & half shaft and theses are the Uniflex. Oh well, I ain't givin' up that easy. Oh and it was a sloppy mess out there too.

I said before and I'll say it again that the FST ss105 shafts were some of, if not the, best feeling stock shafts I have hit.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Forgiving" and feeling every little miss doesn't go together to me. The Ci9's were just the opposite, a little miss still felt good. Also I must say that the set I was demoing side by side with the Ci9s had the half & half shaft and theses are the Uniflex. Oh well, I ain't givin' up that easy. Oh and it was a sloppy mess out there too.

I said before and I'll say it again that the FST ss105 shafts were some of, if not the, best feeling stock shafts I have hit.

I see what you are saying, but I personally like the fact that I can "feel" where I miss, but still get a nice shot out of it. As an example, both CL and I have hit shots where half the ball hit outside of the grooves on the toe, and the ball still ended up on the green just short of where we are aiming. We could reallly feel the miss, but we weren't that punished by it. Thats what I like about these irons, great feedback, but with the forgiveness to keep a good round going.

I see what you are saying, but I personally like the fact that I can "feel" where I miss, but still get a nice shot out of it. As an example, both CL and I have hit shots where half the ball hit outside of the grooves on the toe, and the ball still ended up on the green just short of where we are aiming. We could reallly feel the miss, but we weren't that punished by it. Thats what I like about these irons, great feedback, but with the forgiveness to keep a good round going.

I don't put those 2 attributes in the same sentence. If I wanted my hands ringing on a slight miss hit, I wouldn't have bought an SGI irons. Me no like. I'm gonna beat the **** out of 'em 3 days in a row next week so we'll see how it goes.

PS- did I mention that I've played in driving rain storms and I've neve played in as wet of slop as we played in yesterday, did I mention that?:angry:...:banghead:...:D

We shall see.

I would venture this is a shaft issue? Maybe just a terrible day? These irons are extremely forgiving. Hopefully you have a better time the next few days.

I know when you read the specs your eyes pop out upon reading the lofts. You will get over this when you start getting used to hitting 7I instead of 6I and so on down the line. I don't think I will ever go back to a classic lofted set. Has nothing to do with hitting irons further than my playing partner and everything to do with having more confidence with shorter irons.

CL,
You played both, do you find these more forgiving than the G15s?

WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more forgiving and I am not just saying that because I am testing them. My scores have dropped from mid 90's to mid 80's. These are ridiculously forgiving. My bad rounds these days strictly come from putting and driving. My irons have been pretty money with the exception of an occasional chunky shot which IMO comes from the slightly longer shaft. It really is not that close in terms of forgiveness.

Back