Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more forgiving and I am not just saying that because I am testing them. My scores have dropped from mid 90's to mid 80's. These are ridiculously forgiving. My bad rounds these days strictly come from putting and driving. My irons have been pretty money with the exception of an occasional chunky shot which IMO comes from the slightly longer shaft. It really is not that close in terms of forgiveness.

I actually had the exact same experience and after having just about every 2011 set here right now, they might be the most forgiving in the bunch without going to hybrid irons (see HB3) in certain areas such as off the toe and high on the club face.

I actually had the exact same experience and after having just about every 2011 set here right now, they might be the most forgiving in the bunch without going to hybrid irons (see HB3) in certain areas such as off the toe and high on the club face.

I will add that I was playing the burner 2.0`s before these and the Di11`s are much more forgiving than those as well.

I would venture this is a shaft issue? Maybe just a terrible day? These irons are extremely forgiving. Hopefully you have a better time the next few days.

Oh, it was a terrible day alright, but I just didn't expect so much "feel" on slight miss hits. I didn't get that with the Ci9's as much and I sure do believe the shaft has something to do with it.

Oh, it was a terrible day alright, but I just didn't expect so much "feel" on slight miss hits. I didn't get that with the Ci9's as much and I sure do believe the shaft has something to do with it.

Yeah these irons will make you aware of your mishits. On a bad day they will feel quite harsh and I think a few of us have mentioned that. But the best part about these irons is that even on the "harsh" days I am still scoring better. Keep hitting them LB. I think once you get the proper tempo with these you will be rewarded. Plus let me add that grip can have quite an impact on an irons feel. As I've mentioned prior I don't like the grips. I would almost go so far as to call them cheap grips. Get some better grips on there and I'm betting the mishits are not as harsh. Well I'm hoping anyway lol.

Hey all, I bought a set on ebay brand new, and just got them delivered yesterday! Im pretty excited to hit the range with them. They make a beautiful addition to my bag. There a very good looking iron, especially for a SGI iron.

Congrats Divot! Can't wait to hear your thoughts

Yeah these irons will make you aware of your mishits. On a bad day they will feel quite harsh and I think a few of us have mentioned that. But the best part about these irons is that even on the "harsh" days I am still scoring better. Keep hitting them LB. I think once you get the proper tempo with these you will be rewarded. Plus let me add that grip can have quite an impact on an irons feel. As I've mentioned prior I don't like the grips. I would almost go so far as to call them cheap grips. Get some better grips on there and I'm betting the mishits are not as harsh. Well I'm hoping anyway lol.

Hey Buck did you change your grips on them ? I,m leaning towards changing them to, plus after last range session there showing some wear to them

Hey Buck did you change your grips on them ? I,m leaning towards changing them to, plus after last range session there showing some wear to them

I haven't yet. I just had to pay a pretty large fee to Skycaddie which the wife won't be pleased with and I need some clothes so I'm spending a little too much money right now. Probably after the outing I will be looking to change. I put a Winn grip on my hybrid and like it. I loved the grips that were on my Pings. I like the little reminder they had. The grips on these almost feel like they are starting to twist a little. How have you been doing with the 11's? Any recent rounds? I'm going to try and get out today. I have to figure out whether I want to travel to Pinehurst to play a decent course or just stay local. I'm leaning local

Finally getting a chance to read some of the past posts on this thread. I love reading the updates on these irons. I've been really impressed with Wilson this year. Thanks to everyone for all of your hard work on the testing.

Took a couple of days to read this thread but think I'll get some to compare to my G10's.

Took a couple of days to read this thread but think I'll get some to compare to my G10's.

Great stuff, please updates with your thoughts when you get them.

Been working hard on my shortgame. Putting a lot of practice time into chipping and putting with my new Seemore. Still hitting some balls at the range but my wrists have been killing me so I’ve limited my range time with the irons the past few weeks. Went to a local course with designs on just doing some practice putting and chipping. Got to the course and it was wide open. Hit some practice putts and rolled them both in. Made the executive decision to hop onto the course and play a round.(Actually called the wife and she gave me the real executive OK to play a round). Lets see how this round goes.

1st hole—Par 4—314—Pretty short opening hole that if you don’t draw the ball you can hit it too far into some trees. I didn’t draw the ball. Knew I should have hit 3 wood. Pitched out from under a tree to right in front of the green. Rather poor chip left me 10 feet. Drained the testy little right to lefter and felt good for the start of the round. 4

2nd hole—Par 3—145—Playing more like 155 with bunkers left and right but you definitely don’t want to be left as the resulting chip is downhill and impossible to stop on the green. I pull it left. Trying to get fancy I chunk my first chip. Quite peeved I hit a nice flop that just has no chance to stay on the green. Chipping for bogey I nestle it up to 1 foot and tap in for 5.

3rd hole—Par 5—447—Pretty long par 4 but it’s actually a really short par 5. Hit a decent drive up the right side rough. Sitting up nicely I have about 210 to the green. Pull Mashie and hit a real nice shot right over the trap in front and it stops on the green. Have about 25 feet for eagle and it is a slight right to left breaker. Hit a nice putt to about 2 feet and tap in for 4.

4th hole—Par 4—336—Tough short par 4. You have to play a draw here in order to not have a long iron approach or in the woods. I overcook it into the woods but the ball hits a tree and bounces all the way over to the right hand rough. 210 left and I hit hybrid that comes up short and in the front bunker. Play a nice sand shot to about 5 feet and just burn the right edge. Tap in for 5

5th hole—Par 3--179—Slight uphill Par 3 with bunkers surrounding the green. I overcook my 6 iron and end up in the left rough. Chunk my first chip and then out of frustration hit my second chip 10 feet past. Quick putt but I hole it. Nice save for a 4

6th hole—Par 4—340—Short dogleg left par 4. Fairway runs out about 220 out. My playing partners don’t tell me this. I hit Mashie too far and straight through the fairway. I am left with 100 yards but there is a massive tree right in front of me. I take my trusty GW and hit a towering shot right over the tree. Unfortunately I didn’t bother with aiming the shot and its well right of the green. I hit a very nice chip shot to about 3 feet and drain the putt for 4

7th hole—Par 5—472—You can cut a lot of distance off this hole if you draw it around the dogleg. I don’t draw it and I am way right under a tree. I only have 190 left but I can’t hit the ball at the green. I pitch out with a 4 iron and the ball just rolls and rolls through the fairway and into the left rough, about 80 yards out. I have a nice angle at the flag but I chunk my SW and end up short of the green. I hit a pretty nice chip but it rolls off onto the collar. I putt to about a foot and tap in for 6. I was really angry after this hole as it was too easy to not get at least a par.

8th hole—Par 3—166—Nice par 3 with a slightly elevated green that has bunkers left and right. I hit a 6 iron that starts drifting toward the left bunker but lands over the bunker on the green and rolls off. Greens were very firm out there. Hit a nice chip that just tails off to the right at the end. I miss the 5 footer and tap in for 4

9th hole—Par 4—374—Top my drive a little and the ball comes down on a garbage pail which propels the ball forward another 100 yards. End up through the fairway in the left rough. Have about 120 yards in but I’m slightly under a tree. Trying to keep the ball down I hit a ¾ PW and I almost pull it off. The ball lands just a little to the right of where I was aiming and it rolls off into the rough. 2 yards to the left and I’m right near the hole for bird. Instead I chunk my chip and then putt up to about 5 feet. Hit the 5 footer for a 5.

Walking off after 9 I am really peeved at how my round went. I was just sloppy with every club except my putter which was outstanding. Irons were alright with a few pulls left. Driver was horrid. Really struggling with the R11 but that is for another thread. My playing partners walk off after 9 and I head to the back 9 all alone.

10th hole—Par 4—381—Nice par 4. Slight dogleg right and I have no confidence in my driver. Pull 3 wood and hit a nice shot that leaves me 130 to the green. Hit a real nice PW that lands next to the hole but rolls forward and stops about 15 feet past the hole. Greens have been rock hard all day and I forgot to play for the roll out. Testy downhill left to right putt that I just leave an inch short. Man that ball was tracking into the hole the entire way. Tap in for 4

11th hole—Par 3—182—Downhill with bunkers left and right. Hit a towering 6 iron that I pull again slightly left and into the bunker. Hit a decent sand shot that just keeps rolling past the hole. I leave myself 15 feet of left to right break and if I miss the hole it’s going to roll for days. Drop it into the bottom of the cup for 3. That one felt great.

12th hole—Par 5—536—Misplayed this hole badly. I should have hit 3 wood as it’s a tight hole with woods both left and right. I pull driver and I go right and into the woods. Walk up to find a miracle. My ball evidently hit a tree and it was playable. I need to fade the ball just a little if I want to hit the fairway. I fade it just a fraction and I’m in the left rough and still 210 out. Hit hybrid to the front edge of the green. Hit a nice chip up and over a big ridge but the ball tails off to the left. Have 15 feet straight uphill. Hit a nice putt and I start walking up as I know it’s in the hole. Just veers right at the end and it sits on the lip. Give it 10 seconds and tap in for 6.

13th hole—Par 4—310—Dogleg left with marsh to the left and woods to the right. Hit Mashie but just hit it a little too far and it rolls into the right rough. Have 80 yards left and hit a nice SW but a puff of wind comes up and the ball just drops out of the sky. God I thought that was going to be close. I have 20 feet left. Hit a nice putt that comes up a few rotations short. Tap in for 4

14th hole—Par 4—284—Really tight fairway with bunker going up the entire left side and woods to the right. Hit Mashie again and somehow land it exactly in the middle of the fairway. Only have 60 yards left with a bunker right in front of the green. Hit a really nice shot that I think is going to go in the hole. Ball lands about an inch to the right of the hole but once again just steamrolls to the back of the green. 15 feet straight downhill and I’m peeved because I thought I would be tapping in for bird. Instead I drain the 15 footer and hustle off with a bird 3. I’m beginning to notice that I’ve got a bit of a backside going.

15th hole-Par 3—162—Round killer right here if you are not careful. Water short and right and big bunker left with a two tiered green. Hit a towering 6 iron that I pull slightly left. It looks like it’s going into the bunker but right at the end it tails a little right and the ball lands on the green and rolls onto the top tier about 12 feet left of the hole. I walk up thinking that was a bit of luck. I get a read on my putt and I like it a lot. Looks like it’s straight in. I hit a nice putt and it drops and I am thinking that I just hit 2 birdies in a row for the first time in my life.

16th hole—Par 5—527—Straight ahead par 5 with a hill in the fairway that will take the ball right and off the fairway if you hit it there. I don’t know this standing on the tee box. I hit what I think is a nice line drive slightly right but definitely in the right edge of the fairway. Walk up to the crest of the hill and my ball is not in sight. What is in sight is woods and marsh to the right. Bile just starts working it’s way up my throat as I scan the right rough for my ball. Finally see it about 30 yards further up under a tree. Whew!! Not a pretty looking 2nd shot. Water to the left and woods and water to the right. Decide to try Mashie and hit it past all the trouble. The shot comes out low but it’s serviceable and it runs all the way up to about 50 yards in front of the green. Pin is tucked on the left side behind a bunker. I don’t want to flirt with the bunker so I hit the ball right and in the middle of the green. 25 feet left and slightly uphill. I hit a nice putt that just tails left at the end. Tap in for 5

17th hole—Par 3—155- Short par 3 with bunker to the left. I know that at this point I am under par for the back nine. I pull 8 iron and aim to the right because I had been pulling my approach shots left all day. This shot of course goes straight. End up pin high but in the right rough. Chip up to about 2 feet and drain a killer right to left putt. Man was I shaking over that putt. 3

18th hole—Par 5—435—Short finishing hole. Huge tree to the right side and water out to the left and creeping into the fairway if you hit a good drive. I consider hitting a 3 wood here and probably should have as my nerves were kicking up on the tee box. I had never gone under par for 9 holes plus if I par out I tie my personal best. Hit my drive right into the tree to the right but the ball kicks right and into the 10th fairway. If I layup to the left there is still water in play. Woods to the right though makes the shot tougher as I need to play a little draw but the ball needs to draw just at the right time to get through the trees. It doesn’t draw and it goes up the 10th fairway. I’m kicking myself as I finish my round like a Mahan at a Ryder cup. I walk up to my ball and I find I have pretty much the same shot I had back on the 6th hole. Big tree in front but only about 100 yards left. Hit a nice GW up and over and the ball lands on the green and rolls out through the green. A small glimmer of hope as I just have to chip up and one putt for par. My chip is pretty poor and I leave myself 6 feet for par. I hit a good putt that singes the right edge and hangs on the lip. I give it 10 seconds and tap in for 6.

I have to say that this was possibly the best 9 holes of golf that I’ve played. I was a bit uneven with the driver and some of my irons but my short game really saved my bacon. Made some tough putts and had quite a few nice chips. My iron play was solid but I was pulling my shots a little left all day. Very solid strikes though. The irons were solid yet again. Hit a couple of nice long iron shots into par 3’s and yet again my GW really shone. I can’t describe how tall those trees were. On the 6th hole my playing partners were within 3 feet of my drive and they were also blocked out by that tree. They decided to punch the ball to the left. I tried to go for the high GW and pulled it off both times. I will say it again. These are the nicest set of wedges that came with a set of clubs that I have ever played. Just something about them that I love. My goal for this year was to get at least one round in the 70’s and I can check that off the list. Yeah it is a pretty small course but the back side especially is really tight. I will take a 77 any time. Can’t wait to tee it up again. I think next weekend there could be a small THP gathering.

New member, first post. And sorry, but this will be somewhat off topic. I have been looking at the Wilson DFY with the half and half shaft. I hit it several times along with the Adams A7 and for my swing it worked better. I read the review of the DFY's on this site, very nice. I was wondering if any of you have hit those and how they compare with the Di11 or what you might think about the half and half shaft. This is a nice forum, glad I found it.

Well, I just bought a set off of e-bay so I will provide some thoughts after I get a chance to play with them. Reading the information about these clubs and the Di11 has helped me with my decision, as well as hitting them in the store. Thanks!

New member, first post. And sorry, but this will be somewhat off topic. I have been looking at the Wilson DFY with the half and half shaft. I hit it several times along with the Adams A7 and for my swing it worked better. I read the review of the DFY's on this site, very nice. I was wondering if any of you have hit those and how they compare with the Di11 or what you might think about the half and half shaft. This is a nice forum, glad I found it.

I haven't hit the DFY's, but I think I am the only one hitting the half and half's out of the testers and I love them. They really suit my swing, Probably not for a power hitter, but for someone with a slower swing speed like me, the lighter weight and spring to the 1/2 and 1/2 shaft makes up for the lack of power. They do take a bit of getting used to as with these shafts I think it's more about a smooth rhythmic swing than any other I've hit.
If you have any specific questions about the shafts please post them and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks for the response. I am certainly not a power hitter which is what drew me to the clubs. The Golf Digest gold rating got me investigating, and the review on this site really helped. Then I read this thread trying to find out about the half and half shaft and did notice that you reported having those in your Di11's. They hit well at the store, and my shots seemed more consistent than with the A7's. I have a friend with the A7's and I have hit them at the course as well as some other hybrids and I know that hybrids will improve my game. I also wanted an integrated set, but did not like the all hybrid sets I tried. The Wilsons and the Adams seemed to stand out. I would have to assume that some of the iron technology in the DFY's is similar to that in the Di11's which is why I read this thread with such interest.

Thanks for the response. I am certainly not a power hitter which is what drew me to the clubs. The Golf Digest gold rating got me investigating, and the review on this site really helped. Then I read this thread trying to find out about the half and half shaft and did notice that you reported having those in your Di11's. They hit well at the store, and my shots seemed more consistent than with the A7's. I have a friend with the A7's and I have hit them at the course as well as some other hybrids and I know that hybrids will improve my game. I also wanted an integrated set, but did not like the all hybrid sets I tried. The Wilsons and the Adams seemed to stand out. I would have to assume that some of the iron technology in the DFY's is similar to that in the Di11's which is why I read this thread with such interest.

Not having played them I couldn't say for certain but I would guess that you are right about the irons being very similar as both are game improvement sets.

I haven't yet. I just had to pay a pretty large fee to Skycaddie which the wife won't be pleased with and I need some clothes so I'm spending a little too much money right now. Probably after the outing I will be looking to change. I put a Winn grip on my hybrid and like it. I loved the grips that were on my Pings. I like the little reminder they had. The grips on these almost feel like they are starting to twist a little. How have you been doing with the 11's? Any recent rounds? I'm going to try and get out today. I have to figure out whether I want to travel to Pinehurst to play a decent course or just stay local. I'm leaning local

Hey Buck i havent been out since the 1200 hundred ball session ,its a tough time of year for me have 4 baseball games a week, but we will get out here soon enough prob thre next crappy day

Hey all, how do you get your signature to show the logo of the brand you using?

Hey all, how do you get your signature to show the logo of the brand you using?

Go to signature. Click on smilies, scroll to bottom.

Thanks JB

Last edited:
What wedges are you guys finding pair well with the di11's? I am thinking I will do a 55* and a 60*. Im just having difficultly picking a brand. I know I want the old NON conforming groves, as I need all the help I can get. I tested a Mizuno Mp t 11 at Roger Dunn today and was able to get it no only to check up on the simulator but actually roll backwards. That is big for me. Im usually a bump and run chipper, but I would like to be able to hit the check up shots all the time. I sure like how that DG spinner shaft felt. It was smooth and stable. Even when I took a full hard swing. About 85 mph club head speed. So any suggestions?

Sounds like you liked the Mizzies. Why not get those? You can always have them bent if you can't get a 55*

Also, don't put too much stock on what a simulator says. How you feel with the wedge in hand sure is important though.

When I tested these out I used a 52° and 58° wedge set up. Worked well for me. I'm no longer a huge believer in needing three perfectly spaced out wedge lofts.

Back