Search results for query: *

1. Splendorlex

Trouble with Getting Better - Fight Hard, or Enjoy the Game?

As some of you know, I took a lesson earlier this year for the first time. It might be helpful to give a brief rundown of where I am. I started golfing in my early 20s, about 15 years ago. I played a few times a week for a couple of years, and at my best could often break 100 but a "normal"...
  2. Splendorlex

How to best utilize my new, giant backyard?

So this March I moved to a more rural area near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The wife likes the "country" so here I am. (Broadlands Golf Club is practically in my backyard, for anyone who's familiar with it - it's the driving range I use!) I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of my yard, though I'm...
  3. Splendorlex

Working on that Slice - Ctd

This will probably be a series until I can get it figured out. Weather finally allowed me to hit the range today to work on it. I felt like I hit some really good balls. I strengthened my grip, I tried to make sure my hips turned before I started my downswing, and finally I worked on dropping my...
  4. Splendorlex

Need every wrist pronation tip/drill you guys know!

Mods, I wasn't sure where this should go exactly. I'm not asking for direct help from Freddie, and there is no general "swing advice" forum. As some of you may have seen, I had my first real lesson at a Golf Galaxy near me yesterday. I came away with two things to work on. 1) Come from the...
  5. Splendorlex

First Lesson Today at Golf Galaxy

Today is the day. I have a lesson at the Golf Galaxy on my route home from work. Introductory 45 minute lesson, and then I'll see if I like what he says and think about a short series or something. I like that he has the full video setup, even though it isn't quite as fancy as Golftec. (Golftec...
  6. Splendorlex

Driver Loft Thought Process Changes

I've noticed hints here and there that folks have been thinking a little differently about loft when it comes to the driver. Is this a relatively new development, or have I just been out of the loop? In my experience, the "better" golfers I knew just tended to get lower and lower with the lofts...
  7. Splendorlex

Sports Authority 25% off single item

While I know it's no golf equipment mecca, I'm sure you can find something golf related you'd like 25% off of. There's a printable coupon for in store or it can be used online. http://www.sportsauthority.com/home/index.jsp Runs through tomorrow.
  8. Splendorlex

GI Driver?

Last year I picked up some used clubs to refresh my bag. I had a 20 year old set of Palmer Axioms from Super K to replace. :) I'm a high handicapper so I know buying the latest and greatest is just throwing money away in some respects, and that's why I went with used and cheap. Some of the newer...
  9. Splendorlex

Starting the Year Off WRONG

As all the "snow area" THPers know, this has been a long winter. We have finally had a few good days, but today was the first day I actually got out there and hit a few balls. I went to the closest range/course to me at my new place, Broadlands Golf Club in North Prairie, WI. This looks like a...
  10. Splendorlex

Free Birthday Round of Golf!

My birthday is in January. And I live in the midwest. I moved to a new area in March, so I'm scouting courses in the area and signing up for email lists so I can get notified of specials. Many of them offer a free round of golf on your birthday. How irritating. :)
  11. Splendorlex

High Handicap - Best "Game Improvement" For the Buck?

Hi all. I've been a little quiet over the winter, as I am in the midwest and pretty much shut it down past November. (And what a BRUTAL winter - the worst in my 39 year memory.) Anyhow, I have a hypothetical. Well, not really a hypothetical because it's true. What do you think is the best bang...
  12. Splendorlex

Giving up the Driver - just avoiding the problem?

While every club in my bag is inconsistent, none of them are as glaringly inconsistent as the big stick. I can slice it to high heaven, pull it dead left when trying to correct for the slice, duff it, whiff it, hit it thin, fat, you name it. To make matters worse, the few times I do hit it...
  13. Splendorlex

Consistent struggles for the first 5 holes or so...

So I got out this afternoon alone. I shot pretty decent overall for me (104) with 3 pars and 2 birdie chances. (Here's my scorecard.) I also am getting better with the driver, as I at least kept the majority of my drives in play, I even hit one 270 down the middle with a nice fade, which is...
  14. Splendorlex

Buying Equipment: Support your local proshop, or save money?

Which do you favor when buying new equipment? Do you favor supporting smaller, local pro shops if they have what you need, even if you have to pay more than you do online or elsewhere? What are your thoughts on where to buy what you want? For me personally, my independent local shop does have...
  15. Splendorlex

The Milwaukee Area Thread

As I am heading further into the Great White North, from the WI-IL border area into Milwaukee. How's the golf in those parts? I'm well aware of the Geneva area stuff, and Kenosha county, but what about further north? Any Milwaukee area THPers? p.s. I swear I searched and found nothing. Maybe...
  16. Splendorlex

Forgiving, but good course recos in Kenosha, WI area

I'm putting together a golf day with a few friends who don't golf all that much. We're looking for a course that will be fun to play in the Kenosha area. I've heard good things about Brighton Links and Petrifying Springs. Any other recommendations or thoughts on those two courses?
  17. Splendorlex

How long for a solo round of 18?

I always figure about 4-5 hours or so for a foursome to play 18. But how long does 18 take if you're alone, on a slow weekday? :) I'm just trying to figure out how much time I need to allow for to take off work early OR to try to get it in before work.
  18. Splendorlex

THP Professional Types - How do you decide w/ new job offers?

So I have a nice offer on the table to go to a new company to do what I do. (I run OnSite search for Ecommerce, pretty good area to be in and VERY specialized.) Anyhow, I've been with the same company for nearly 7 years, and they have been good to me. The money is good, the flexibility and...
  19. Splendorlex

Time for a lesson!

I think it's time. I've worked as much as I can on things just using the wisdom of THP but lately it's just leading to frustration. Like this: I watched this myself and can see there are just too many things wrong and I don't know what to do to fix them. It's got me feeling overwhelmed, so if...
  20. Splendorlex

Looking for particular lag video...older guy in dining room?

On one of my million posts in this forum, someone had linked a video that I cannot seem to find now. It was about starting the downswing, and I remember it was an older guy doing the drill in a dining room. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Back