2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids & Irons

Hmmmmmmm....that's interesting. JB which length do you have?Hawk which one do you
have?

Hmmmmmmm....that's interesting. JB which length do you have?Hawk which one do you
have?

I have not measured mine, but keep in mind, that ours are VERY early pre-releases, so if they changed the length after the fact, ours would be different. I have word into Cleveland right now (however they are traveling to the PGA Show) to get clarification.

Spent quite a bit of time with this today.

Bad news first - I deleted the 10 shot average I was recording inadvertently - so I'll have to get that another time. Plenty of time for that anyway. I will say that the distance I was seeing was pretty typical of what I'd expect - from right around 200 yards on poorer shots almost to the 240 range on my best shots. My guess would be that the average would be right in the middle of that somewhere. Dispersion appeared to be good, but I didn't look at my 'yards from center' number and just relied on the graph. I felt like I was staying pretty close to center and didn't have any big misses either way. I did not see a prevailing miss to either side of center.

The club sets up nicely and seems very easy hit for a fairway wood. It doesn't give off that 'I'm going to be hard to hit' vibe than even my favorite fwy's can give me at times. I thought it was better off the ground than off the tee for some reason. I liked the sound. It's very much like a Mashie hybrid, with maybe a little more hollowness to it.

It is definitely the easiest hybrid I have ever hit off the turf. Like you hitting off the tee felt odd at first, but after about 5 shots, it worked like a charm and I dont even think about it anymore.

Spent quite a bit of time with this today.

Bad news first - I deleted the 10 shot average I was recording inadvertently - so I'll have to get that another time. Plenty of time for that anyway. I will say that the distance I was seeing was pretty typical of what I'd expect - from right around 200 yards on poorer shots almost to the 240 range on my best shots. My guess would be that the average would be right in the middle of that somewhere. Dispersion appeared to be good, but I didn't look at my 'yards from center' number and just relied on the graph. I felt like I was staying pretty close to center and didn't have any big misses either way. I did not see a prevailing miss to either side of center.

The club sets up nicely and seems very easy hit for a fairway wood. It doesn't give off that 'I'm going to be hard to hit' vibe than even my favorite fwy's can give me at times. I thought it was better off the ground than off the tee for some reason. I liked the sound. It's very much like a Mashie hybrid, with maybe a little more hollowness to it.

Nice, Hawk. Were you taking pretty consistent, easy swings? Also, did you ever attempt to really "get after it" and crush one?

Nice, Hawk. Were you taking pretty consistent, easy swings? Also, did you ever attempt to really "get after it" and crush one?

Im not Hawk and he can answer in a second, but I can tell you that I have gone after it many times. The shaft is pretty stout in that aspect.

I try to get after with every swing these days, tbh. My instructor does not agree with my former 'swing-slow' policy haha. I hit a few that were pretty beat and they were among my best balls of the session.

Is this a 5 Wood that you're hitting, Hawk? Because an average between 200-240 yds with a 5 wood seems pretty nice, and I've been wondering whether or not to get the 3 or the 5 underneath my driver. And the fact that it is easy for you to hit off of the turf, JB, makes this club my #1 ponder.

Is this a 5 Wood that you're hitting, Hawk? Because an average between 200-240 yds with a 5 wood seems pretty nice, and I've been wondering whether or not to get the 3 or the 5 underneath my driver. And the fact that it is easy for you to hit off of the turf, JB, makes this club my #1 ponder.

Don't forget there are a couple different FW lofts you can get. As a lefty I thin there are two.

Don't forget there are a couple different FW lofts you can get. As a lefty I thin there are two.

Ah yes, 15.5 and 18* So I guess Hawk is hitting the 15.5 3Wood.

Yes he is. JB has the 14* in his bag.

I wish that I had the option of a 14*, but I'm thinking that the higher loft would be better for me.

I wish that I had the option of a 14*, but I'm thinking that the higher loft would be better for me.

Yep, this is the 15.5° 3W. I'd like to try the 14° as well, but I didn't see anything that told me I absolutely needed to have it. I think the higher loft could equal a little better launch, a little more backspin and maybe a little less sidespin if that is an issue. I wish I'd had more time today, but I was sandwiched in between appointments.

Yep, this is the 15.5° 3W. I'd like to try the 14° as well, but I didn't see anything that told me I absolutely needed to have it. I think the higher loft could equal a little better launch, a little more backspin and maybe a little less sidespin if that is an issue. I wish I'd had more time today, but I was sandwiched in between appointments.

You hit my #1 points in one sentence Hawk. Another bit of fuel for the fire with these for me.

Yeah up to this point I'm unsure which one I want to OEM. Both you and JB report stellar results so far at least.

These can't come out soon enough. These are high on my list to OEM.

What is the length of the Mashie fairway? The sell sheet specs on the first page of this thread are different from what's posted on the Cleveland website.

TF3 - Website: 42.75" - Sell Sheet: 41.25"
F3 - Website: 42.75" - Sell Sheet: 40.75"
F5 - Website: 42.25" - Sell Sheet: 40.25"
F7 - Website: 41.75" - Sell Sheet: 39.75"

Any word on the length of the retail version?

tt - I held the 15.5 up against my Black 5W and it was about 1/4 inch shorter. Black 5W is 43 inches iirc. Maybe it was a typo, but I have no clue.

I definitely think this is going to be a favorite club of mine come MC time. Love that Mashie sound and it really seems to work well. I will say that I feel like the shaft is plenty stout.

I definitely think this is going to be a favorite club of mine come MC time. Love that Mashie sound and it really seems to work well. I will say that I feel like the shaft is plenty stout.

Hmm. You're making it tough on me. As much as I want the RBZ 3W the Mashie is making me think about it hard.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to set up the lower end of my bag. I think having a traditional type fairway to compliment the Mashie could be a good combo and it's likely I go that route.

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to set up the lower end of my bag. I think having a traditional type fairway to compliment the Mashie could be a good combo and it's likely I go that route.

So you're saying having the Mashie 3W and hybrid?

Ditch a 4 iron and keep a wedge?

So you're saying having the Mashie 3W and hybrid?

Ditch a 4 iron and keep a wedge?

I have room for three fairways or hybrids and I know that two of those spots will be Mashies (one hybrid and one fairway). The third slot is either another Mashie fairway or something like the FL or Black.

I have room for three fairways or hybrids and I know that two of those spots will be Mashies (one hybrid and one fairway). The third slot is either another Mashie fairway or something like the FL or Black.
Ahh, gotcha. I'm really curious to the distance difference between the Mashie FW and RBZ FW. I really like the distance of the RBZ, but hitting it off the deck a little scares me, and I use a 3W off the deck quite a bit. Another advantage to having the 3W and hybrid both Mashie is I'd be hitting the same shaft in both, as opposed to different shafts if I were to go to the RBZ/Mashie hybrid route. If the Mashie 3W is 10-15 yards within the RBZ, that may be the way I go.

Back