2012 NFL Draft Thread

that still scares me.....I hope those 12 teams are more towards the back end of the 1st where they can afford to take a 'project' like him. they said the same thing about Dewayne Robertson when the Jets traded up to get him too back in the day

this. I mean he was at Memphis playing in Conf USA where he shoulda had 5 sacks in a game, not for his career just based on his size and strength alone

What if he was asked to drop back? Or play the run exclusively? I mean you cannot judge everything by sacks. Look at a guy like Derrick Brooks? Granted a completely different player and position, but if we were judging his play by sacks, he would be average to below average instead of one of the best to ever play his position.

What if he was asked to drop back? Or play the run exclusively? I mean you cannot judge everything by sacks. Look at a guy like Derrick Brooks? Granted a completely different player and position, but if we were judging his play by sacks, he would be average to below average instead of one of the best to ever play his position.

JB have you heard any mention of exactly how much he played at Memphis? Was he a 3 down guy? And how many years was he there?

JB have you heard any mention of exactly how much he played at Memphis? Was he a 3 down guy? And how many years was he there?

All I have done is watch tape, read interview transcripts and look for tendencies. Wish I could help more.

We could have a thp contest based entirely on Poe. Where does Poe goe? LOL what an enigma this dude is.

We could have a thp contest based entirely on Poe. Where does Poe goe? LOL what an enigma this dude is.

He really is. Guys that played DL in the league over the years call him a freak of nature. Still does not mean he can play, but ironic how their feelings are. Either they are out of touch or fans are, but this guy is polarizing that is for sure.

Oh I get that (even for a 350 pounder) but even his tackle for loss numbers are really low....I just think he shoulda been a little more dominant playing in a non-elite conference....he may have not had the best coaching but in college guys can get away with their talent alone in the absense of good coaching

He really is. Guys that played DL in the league over the years call him a freak of nature. Still does not mean he can play, but ironic how their feelings are. Either they are out of touch or fans are, but this guy is polarizing that is for sure.

JB, with his speed and athleticism, could Poe play DE in a 3-4?

He sure is. And as much as I'm scared he'd be a bust lets be honest an unstoppable force in the middle of a 3/4 defense makes the secondary look a lot better. He still scares me.

Oh I get that (even for a 350 pounder) but even his tackle for loss numbers are really low....I just think he shoulda been a little more dominant playing in a non-elite conference....he may have not had the best coaching but in college guys can get away with their talent alone in the absense of good coaching

What if the rest of his DL was truly awful and he was double and triple teamed all game long.
Here is my honest assessment here about those critiquing him in general. Nobody has seen the dude play. They may see a highlight on ESPN as they talk about the guy and the rest are basing it strictly off these horrible mock drafts and information by some guy living in his mom's basement that has a picture of Mel Kiper on his wall and a piece of his hair under his mattress.

JB, with his speed and athleticism, could Poe play DE in a 3-4?

I dont think so. Possible maybe, but not where I would want to see him.

He sure is. And as much as I'm scared he'd be a bust lets be honest an unstoppable force in the middle of a 3/4 defense makes the secondary look a lot better. He still scares me.

He does me too a little bit. Although a little less after covering a piece of this briefly. I would roll the dice on a guy like him (generalization) outside of the top 10. It would completely depend on the team and the draft of course.

I havent heard alot about Kellen Moore. Think he gets drafted in the 4th or 5th? He has some upside. He is definitely a winner. Arm strength is a worry. With that said, isnt arm strength something that can be worked on?

and that could be it too.....but everything out there is he's either going to be really really good or really really bad....haven't seen anything in between much.

What if the rest of his DL was truly awful and he was double and triple teamed all game long.
Here is my honest assessment here about those critiquing him in general. Nobody has seen the dude play. They may see a highlight on ESPN as they talk about the guy and the rest are basing it strictly off these horrible mock drafts and information by some guy living in his mom's basement that has a picture of Mel Kiper on his wall and a piece of his hair under his mattress.

I dont think so. Possible maybe, but not where I would want to see him.

and that could be it too.....but everything out there is he's either going to be really really good or really really bad....haven't seen anything in between much.

Isnt that the case for most 1st rounders though? We dont often hear anything about a top 20 pick hopefully being average or a journeyman. The basement bloggers have turned this guy into news, but there are guys like him every single year.

very true. so either this is a case of 'over scouting' (too critical or too optimistic) or a great smoke screen by teams wanting him to fall far enough down into the 1st round where if he busts out it's not as bad as if he were to be picked in the top half of the 1st

Isnt that the case for most 1st rounders though? We dont often hear anything about a top 20 pick hopefully being average or a journeyman. The basement bloggers have turned this guy into news, but there are guys like him every single year.

Ary, you should check out his past luck on picking the draft.

Dont forget guys that we have the new contest up in the contests section for the draft.

If you want to see the most interesting mock draft I've read in a while, check out Greg Cosell's mock draft: http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/?module=HP11_hot_topics

He works for NFL Films, and bases his mock draft solely on watching tape of the prospects, and nothing else like off-field issues. His top 3: RGIII, Luck, Gilmore!

That was an awesome read. Cosell is on Sirius NFL early in the morning each week during the 6AM-7AM show with Ross Tucker and its always a fascinating listen. The dude knows his stuff. Loved what he said about Dallas picking Barron: "Barron is easily the best safety in this draft class. His tape showed a complete and multi-dimensional skill set, perhaps the most impressive attribute being his man-to-man coverage ability versus tight ends. He also played man-to-man against the inside slot receiver in 3×1 sets. The larger point is that Barron can play man coverage, and that has become increasingly important for safeties in today’s NFL." And at the end he says Barron is one of the 5-7 best players in this draft. I'll take him!

That was an awesome read. Cosell is on Sirius NFL early in the morning each week during the 6AM-7AM show with Ross Tucker and its always a fascinating listen. The dude knows his stuff. Loved what he said about Dallas picking Barron: "Barron is easily the best safety in this draft class. His tape showed a complete and multi-dimensional skill set, perhaps the most impressive attribute being his man-to-man coverage ability versus tight ends. He also played man-to-man against the inside slot receiver in 3×1 sets. The larger point is that Barron can play man coverage, and that has become increasingly important for safeties in today’s NFL." And at the end he says Barron is one of the 5-7 best players in this draft. I'll take him!
Kmac, I think Barron goes before your pick....in my mock I have a team moving up to get him. Besides, Poe to the 'boys is more of a lock than Luck to Indy!!! lol

Guys, lets please use the contest thread for draft talk if you guys dont mind. Thanks.

McShea now says Claiborn is #3 in his latest Mock Draft, the only other I remember was Michael Floyd #10 (heard it on Mike and Mike)

McShea now says Claiborn is #3 in his latest Mock Draft, the only other I remember was Michael Floyd #10 (heard it on Mike and Mike)

Charles Davis has him going 3rd, too. Lombardi has Cox going 6 to St Louis and both of them have Blackmon falling to the Jags at 7. Interesting.

hmm, Browns trying to possibly get another late first round pick to draft Weeden.

Article suggests RIcahrdson at 4, Stephen Hill at 22 and Weeden at end of first round

Might actually be proud to be a Browns fan if they pull it off

Wtc you guys are using the wrong thread

Back