2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate some of the courses up here that my buddies want to play to save a nickel. It is aggravating! Some shouldn't be able to call themselves a golf course-

So coming from your Florida courses I almost cry every time I step on a tee box, or leave a putt 15 feet short bc the green rolls at a 3 on the stimp

No I def agree florida golf is difficult, but the courses there are in great shape as compared to some up here were required to play. It's easier to maintain the conditions in Florida while up here we have hardpan, fairways etc.

I think playng on those nice courses of Florida I was able to play better due to the conditions being near perfect.

Wow, I dont agree with that at all. Im not sure if you have spent time working at a golf course, but most tell you do to the amount of rain fall and dead heat, it is harder to maintain (comparing golf season to golf season)(hence the reason for bermuda) as other grasses will not survive. I think you may be looking at things a little differently. At your trips to FL, you have played tour level courses that have hosted tour events. Then going back you are comparing them to your local course. Its not apples to apples and part of that has to do with the fact that there are just a larger amount of tour level courses in the state naturally.

True true, those courses are amazing- I guess I'm spoiled when i come to Florida.

But isn't Bermuda easier to grow in heat? We have burned out fairways completely right now, and greens with chunks missing. The bent grass is harder to maintain perfectly, whereas there is some room for error with less water more heat and Bermuda?

at least that's what I thought, or what they tell us here now. The heat and less rain has killed greens.

The Bermuda wouldn't do well during cool streaks.

The Bermuda wouldn't do well during cool streaks.

It does around here buddy. It's the most resilient grass imagineable.

True true, those courses are amazing- I guess I'm spoiled when i come to Florida.

But isn't Bermuda easier to grow in heat? We have burned out fairways completely right now, and greens with chunks missing. The bent grass is harder to maintain perfectly, whereas there is some room for error with less water more heat and Bermuda?

at least that's what I thought, or what they tell us here now. The heat and less rain has killed greens.

Yes, bermuda is easier to maintain in heat. Just as Bent is easier to maintain in mild conditions. However with FL comes harsh conditions of constant rain and then drought. More bacteria due to location is a major issue. There is far more to a golf course conditions outside of just what the temperature is unfortunately and that is why a great greenskeeper is such an overlooked part of the golf course.

My last trip to the midwest I played in IN and OH and while I played at 4 of the nicest golf courses in the areas I was visiting, I did find it less challenging. Its not a knock on the area or the courses, they were awesome and I had a great time. But there are just less bunkers and hazards than down here. Add to that the fact that the rough is easier to hit out of (for me anyway) due to shorter length and less resiliency and I played better golf.

It does around here buddy. It's the most resilient grass imagineable.

Do you think it would in the Midwest, though? Your weather has cool streaks, but not months and months of it. I guess that's what I meant, but said very poorly.

Do you think it would in the Midwest, though? Your weather has cool streaks, but not months and months of it. I guess that's what I meant, but said very poorly.

I don't know for sure. I'm not too familiar with your weather. The beauty of bermuda is that it's so damn hard to kill. It's pretty much a weed and not a grass. The beauty of it is that it's much lower maintenance than other types of surfaces.

I see your point, the Florida courses offer more hazards in the way of bunkers and water, requiring accuracy.

Reunion was in fantastic shape IMO, at least coming from what I've played up here. How did you think that compared to the norm there? Or grand cypress?

Freaking loved both courses and I wish i could play courses like that on the reg!

Come home here to fairways that are burned out, hard as a rock, bunkers that have sand you ca barely hit out of, and greens with pockets of dirt bc of bacteria. Hehe.. I miss you Florida :)

The beauty of it is that it's much lower maintenance than other types of surfaces.

To keep alive and thriving. Not necessarily to keep maintained to the high standards of a golf course. It grows VERY fast.

I see your point, the Florida courses offer more hazards in the way of bunkers and water, requiring accuracy.

Reunion was in fantastic shape IMO, at least coming from what I've played up here. How did you think that compared to the norm there? Or grand cypress?

Freaking loved both courses and I wish i could play courses like that on the reg!

Come home here to fairways that are burned out, hard as a rock, bunkers that have sand you ca barely hit out of, and greens with pockets of dirt bc of bacteria. Hehe.. I miss you Florida :)

I think Reunion Resort is one of the easiest venues in the entire Orlando area. So I try not to look at my scores there as an indication. I had not played in almost 3 weeks and when I shot our videos shot even par on the Palmer. There is no water (virtually) and large waste bunkers that offered little trouble to hit out of. Its not much of a test in my opinion, but a good venue for birdies and pars which is what we wanted in the Morgan Cup.

Comparing that to the challenges at North/South is not even close.

To keep alive and thriving. Not necessarily to keep maintained to the high standards of a golf course. It grows VERY fast.

Interesting, do you think the greens grew enough in a day to alter putting conditions? I noticed I was rolling balls better early in the day- and later had to put more on em to get to the hole. Wondered if it was heat, growth, or some other factor.

Also, that period from 8-10 am is BRUTAL. It's like walking into a sauna.

True, it has to be mown religiously but it's receptive to large amounts of hackers all over it.

All this grass talk has reminded me just how bad Team THP is going to smoke the competition in May.

All this grass talk has reminded me just how bad Team THP is going to smoke the competition in May.

Only thing ya all is smoking is whatever CB brings with

LMAO...well it is obvious that you are smoking something!! And it is not "the field".

I think Reunion Resort is one of the easiest venues in the entire Orlando area. So I try not to look at my scores there as an indication. I had not played in almost 3 weeks and when I shot our videos shot even par on the Palmer. There is no water (virtually) and large waste bunkers that offered little trouble to hit out of. Its not much of a test in my opinion, but a good venue for birdies and pars which is what we wanted in the Morgan Cup.

Without having a huge number of courses as comparison, I agree that Reunion were some of the easier courses I've played in Florida. Due to the lack of water hazards and generous fairways, for me these were easily 5-10 strokes easier than PGA National courses. Loads of fun to play of course, but relatively easy.

We have a guy here who played Reunion in a tournament this summer and he carded low 70's with a 5 handicap. I have never played there but I would definitely not see him shoot that at the North/South course, especially his first time playing there.

Bermuda grass is a wimp! It ain't got nothing on our crab grass! After a nuclear explosion it will be the only thing left along with the cockroaches! As for Florida golf, the biggest adjustment problem I had was judging my chips. The ball just didn't roll out near as much as I expected. As Cg pointed out the ball hit and stuck and he and I both had problems with that during our round on Saturday. Reading the green was a bit tricky as well, here you mainly go by how the hole breaks with very little to no effect from the grain. In Florida I found the grain to be a major factor and even had one putt break uphill away from the hole because of it and couldn't believe it. I loved it though, hitting out of a fairway that you could get the club under the ball was nice.

I personally loved the way the greens rolled in Florida. I did not see a big issue with reading the grain, and coming from someone that spent a fair amount of time in the rough, I did not find it any more difficult than what I am used to. JMO.

I agree. I liked the greens in Fl. I belive it is beacause they were faster than I typically see here in the great NE.

I went back in this thread to read more about the competition aspect of the outing, but couldn't locate the post. It's team THP vs the field or is that just one of teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back