2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

Don't tease me like that....now I have my hopes up that I get to see all Tiger all the time. I hope we get to watch every bite of his PB&J sandwich. He just does it better then everyone else.

I bet he has the perfect balance of peanut butter to jelly too.

Golfergal is on fire this morning!

Here's my big question for today: how likely is it that we're all back here tomorrow morning discussing an 18-hole playoff? The leaderboard is pretty tightly packed at the top, I think that a tie after 72 holes is a good possibility.

As for today, everyone knows that I'm a huge Tiger fan, but it's a really big ask for him to win this thing, he'd probably have to shoot something like a 66 or 67 to have a shot at it. In terms of the final pairing, I have to root for G-Mac, not only because he is repping Cleveland/Srixon, but I love his demeanor and attitude on and off the course. He fully admitted that in the months after his 2010 US Open that he lost his way a bit, but he's got his head back in the right place and I'd love to see him bag another major.

NBC is blowing this bad. We are tuning in for the golf, not their entertainment. I really want to see the players and the course more.

Are they?

'We' are tuning in for golf coverage yes, but 'we' will be tuned in to the telecast regardless. NBC is obviously trying to appeal to the casual sports fan and not die hard golf fans. Thats why they run hours and hours of Tiger coverage (because he clearly moves the meter and gets the non-golf fan to watch).

Will they lose the casual golf fan if coverage starts at 4pm and Tiger doesnt tee off until 6pm if they show shot after shot of live golf? Maybe, maybe not. Obviously they think the key is to mix in (very little) live golf by stars like Phil, Rickie, etc in the middle of all their pre-edited video stories. Why else would they run a 5 min story of Casey Martin again yesterday? It worked all through the Tiger Era, but some say thats why we are so dependent on Tiger to get ratings, because the networks failed to follow anyone else.

I would love to see all golf, no Jimmy, no burger dogs, etc, but I know thats not realistic. TV Coverage is a business, NBC is in the business to get ratings. Obviously, NBC brass thinks / knows the way to do that is to build up the drama through pre-edited snippets until the last few groups tee off.

I think an 18 hole playoff is pretty likely, we kind of forget that this is the only tournament left that does that..with the leaderboard as packed as it is, unless Furyk or GMAC go HAM, a tie is pretty likely.

As far as Tiger goes, even a 66 would only get him back to even par, and I don't think that would do it.

Are they?

'We' are tuning in for golf coverage yes, but 'we' will be tuned in to the telecast regardless. NBC is obviously trying to appeal to the casual sports fan and not die hard golf fans. Thats why they run hours and hours of Tiger coverage (because he clearly moves the meter and gets the non-golf fan to watch).

Will they lose the casual golf fan if coverage starts at 4pm and Tiger doesnt tee off until 6pm if they show shot after shot of live golf? Maybe, maybe not. Obviously they think the key is to mix in (very little) live golf by stars like Phil, Rickie, etc in the middle of all their pre-edited video stories. Why else would they run a 5 min story of Casey Martin again yesterday? It worked all through the Tiger Era, but some say thats why we are so dependent on Tiger to get ratings, because the networks failed to follow anyone else.

I would love to see all golf, no Jimmy, no burger dogs, etc, but I know thats not realistic. TV Coverage is a business, NBC is in the business to get ratings. Obviously, NBC brass thinks / knows the way to do that is to build up the drama through pre-edited snippets until the last few groups tee off.

While I agree, I thought yesterday's was out of the norm. At the 37 minute mark, we had seen exactly 16 golf shots with 12 of those being putts.

Heres to hoping Lee shoots another 67.
I wouldnt mind seeing Lee, Furyk, or Gmac winning. All good people.

Are they?

Hey, let's not go to crazytown, I liked the Bill Burger....I wanted one immediately, since I was on DVR, that was the only prerecorded segment I watched and it was dinner time so I was hungry.

I want to see Furyk and GMac have the worst rounds of their lives today (only because I didn't pick them; otherwise, both very respectable golfers).

Then, I want to see Els holding up the trophy.

I think an 18 hole playoff is pretty likely, we kind of forget that this is the only tournament left that does that..with the leaderboard as packed as it is, unless Furyk or GMAC go HAM, a tie is pretty likely.

As far as Tiger goes, even a 66 would only get him back to even par, and I don't think that would do it.

There would be an 18 hole playoff? Is that normal for the Open? I've become accustomed to "sudden death" type playoffs...

I think you're right one the money here. I think if anything it's going to come down to the last few holes. I love the fact it's an 18 hole play off. I'm glad they're not all like that or it wouldn't make the US Open any different.

Does anyone remember seeing the Furyk TM Penta commercials? I thought when they showed a couple of his putts yesterday he was playing a Callaway, is this correct? Or did I just completely miss he is now a Callaway player!

I bet he has the perfect balance of peanut butter to jelly too.

Now sometimes, the PB knife doesn't quite get to the bread (he never adjusts well to the different consistancy between smooth or crunchy), and the jelly spoon gets double crossed and smeared on the left crust instead of the center. He's working through it though...its a process.

There would be an 18 hole playoff? Is that normal for the Open? I've become accustomed to "sudden death" type playoffs...

Normal for the Men's US Open. Tiger beat Rocco in the last 18 hole playoff in 2008.

Thanks ddxu!

Another day of US Open would be great!

I'd like to see a winner tonight

Yes, it's the only tournament left that does an 18 hole playoff, most are sudden death, the British Open is 4 hole playoff and PGA Championship is a 3 hole playoff.

I think you're right one the money here. I think if anything it's going to come down to the last few holes. I love the fact it's an 18 hole play off. I'm glad they're not all like that or it wouldn't make the US Open any different.

Does anyone remember seeing the Furyk TM Penta commercials? I thought when they showed a couple of his putts yesterday he was playing a Callaway, is this correct? Or did I just completely miss he is now a Callaway player!

Yeah, I touched on it earlier this morning. He is playing Callaway HEX Black Tours and also using a ton of Callaway equipment but is not to my knowledge a Callaway staffer...he likes to consider himself a free agent and play what is best for his game...to me that says alot about the Callaway balls and clubs that somebody who could be paid to play what ever they wanted, chooses to play their stuff.

I would like to see Ernie pull one out today.. On another note I noticed Sergio was at +5.. How the heck did he hold it together to still be kinda close??

Mr. Stricker, you need to go low today. Really low.

Mr. Kuchar, you're a really good golfer and a great guy, but I really need you to shoot over 80 today. You'll be fine. You have a TPC title this year and two more majors left. Let's just blow up today.

[/QUOTE]Yeah, I touched on it earlier this morning. He is playing Callaway HEX Black Tours and also using a ton of Callaway equipment but is not to my knowledge a Callaway staffer...he likes to consider himself a free agent and play what is best for his game...to me that says alot about the Callaway balls and clubs that somebody who could be paid to play what ever they wanted, chooses to play their stuff.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed it but thanks for replying again. I've never hit the Hex balls but will soon be looking for a new ball when I run out of TM Pentas. I still had a couple dozen left over from last year and there's no reason for them to go to waste.

Pentas are good balls, I played them for awhile, I do like the Hex Black better though and evidentally so did he....remember that's the commercials he did for the Pentas. It was about how he could play any ball he wanted but he chose the Penta

This may have been brought up already and I'm skimming, but did anyone else see that jimmy was playing a Hex black ball yesterday and not the penta?

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

This may have been brought up already and I'm skimming, but did anyone else see that jimmy was playing a Hex black ball yesterday and not the penta?

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

look up 2 posts silly Canadian...LOL

A playoff wouldn't surprise me today but idk if I want to see it. As for tiger nothing went his way yesterday and the 18th green was just the cherry on top.

Just hope the coverage is better today then yesterday

Yeah I think a playoff is highly likely. Seems hard to separate yourself on the course.

Im going mad here, but I think Tiger makes a run at this thing early on today. I was right about yesterdays round, but I still think he has a shot at winning this.

Back