2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some home workouts to try and tone up. Looking forward to the results

Holy crap am I sore today. Started back up AGAIN for what seems like the millionth time yesterday. Every time I start back in the gym my life gets changed. The wife had surgery a week ago, which derailed everything again in this department. I finally feel like life is calming down for the near future which will allow me to get back into a schedule of some sort.

Hey Coach beard! Starting Insanity work out in the morning. It's starts with a fit test. I'm excited to gain some flexibility, core strength and tee length! Here's to the next 67 days!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Awesome dude. Love it. Insanity is a great great workout. Several on here have had great success with it.

I just want to say hello to Coach Beard. And hope the baby is doing well!

I just want to say hello to Coach Beard. And hope the baby is doing well!

Thanks dude. She is finally sleeping. Wife is getting healthy. Looking to get back in here and back in the gym

Dude. How's MGS2.0 going for you?

I'm putting myself through a kind of purge workout before I tackle that one. It is on deck though. I want to kind of really beat myself up for the next 2 months or so before I mass it up.

Dude. How's MGS2.0 going for you?

It looks awesome though. I really like the thought process of it. It makes logical sense. As did the other one. He's really good.

Awesome dude. Love it. Insanity is a great great workout. Several on here have had great success with it.

I didn't think I was that far out of shape. Guess I was wrong. You guys will get a kick out of this. I threw up when I was done. I know me throwing up isn't news. :banghead: It's no joke.

I didn't think I was that far out of shape. Guess I was wrong. You guys will get a kick out of this. I threw up when I was done. I know me throwing up isn't news. :banghead: It's no joke.

I believe Mike Dean booted after his initial Fitness test on Insanity as well.

Did he finish the 2 months?

This was last year when he turned into Slim Dean. Yeah I believe he went through the program twice.

Insanity kicks your butt. If you aren't in a puddle of sweat at the end you weren't trying.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Insanity kicks your butt. If you aren't in a puddle of sweat at the end you weren't trying.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I was sweating!

It looks awesome though. I really like the thought process of it. It makes logical sense. As did the other one. He's really good.

Yup. If you want to add size and strength quickly, you must lift heavy and progressively overload your muscles. Pretty simple principle.

Stay away from machines, volume training, and isolation lifts.

Yup. If you want to add size and strength quickly, you must lift heavy and progressively overload your muscles. Pretty simple principle.

Cant forget about tendon strengthening though! muscles cant get stronger if what attaches them to bones are weak. I lifted weights for 11 years ( no time or motivation lately lol) what I always started any strength training workout was a 6 week cycle of 10x10 on major lifts. Flat barbell bench, squats, deadlifts. Take 50% of your one rep max and start there. Most will find that they cannot finish the first weeks sets... its absolutely brutal. Leave you sore for the hole week. When the soreness subsides its time to hit it again.

I weighed 160 at most and used to compete in lifting competitions. Had Schwartz factor of over 900

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I believe the most efficient sessions have no more that 16 full effort sets in the entire session. More than 45 minutes at a time is a waste. At least for size and strength purposes.

I believe the most efficient sessions have no more that 16 full effort sets in the entire session. More than 45 minutes at a time is a waste. At least for size and strength purposes.

Yes that is correct in actual meat packing sessions (we all know we grow not while lifting but during recovery so I use the above phrase not literally) but most people cannot handle the load needed without deep slow twitch fiber and tendon strengthening first. After 10 x10 cycle I used to take a week off then do 6 week cycles of 8x8 then 5x5. Increasing the % of max each cycle and hoping to increase during the 6 weeks. But the most important that we tend to ignore is the FACT that rest and nutrition is more important than the actuall pounding of weights

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Very good points KC ( and Blu! ) The thing we have to be careful with is specificity. If I am training and my main goal is size, then I am going to manipulate my sets/reps/time differently than if I was training for pure strength. And different still a bit if I am trying to find the right balance of both. But the one constant is rest & recovery.

I have done the 10x10 cycle in the past, and yea, it can be a ball buster!

Totally true dude. I just want to get myself back in shape alittle to get the most out of it.

Very good points KC ( and Blu! ) The thing we have to be careful with is specificity. If I am training and my main goal is size, then I am going to manipulate my sets/reps/time differently than if I was training for pure strength. And different still a bit if I am trying to find the right balance of both. But the one constant is rest & recovery.

I have done the 10x10 cycle in the past, and yea, it can be a ball buster!

To me this is HUGE. What is our goal? To get in shape? To get bigger? Different goals have different training routines.

Keep it up dude. I can speak to how hard it is once you fall off the workout wagon. Good luck!

After virtually having no energy and not sleeping for almost 2 weeks, I got a good nights sleep last night and woke up at 5:45 and rode the bike for 30 minutes and did some yoga. Feeling really rejuvenated this morning.

After virtually having no energy and not sleeping for almost 2 weeks, I got a good nights sleep last night and woke up at 5:45 and rode the bike for 30 minutes and did some yoga. Feeling really rejuvenated this morning.

Dude that is awesome to hear. I can't even begin to describe how much I respect other parents now after our experience haha

As for me, workout today is going to be legs and maybe arms. Definitely legs and abs. The old stomach and core needs some serious attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back